Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PINK LACE
A sweet prelude to grief: delicate tea rose and strawberry-laced vanilla stained by tobacco, champaca incense, and white cognac.

This is just stunning! No amping linen note thank goodness and just the gentlest champaca. Gorgeously sweet and reminds me of the same strawberry sugar in L'ESSENCE DE L'ENGOUEMENT without the orange blossom sharpness. Barely smell the rose, which is a good thing as I can amp that to the point of nausea. Love! :wub2:

ETA: OK, this is just ODD. I just tested again, and I am getting whiffs of pickles! I don't know if it's because I have tried a million things on my arms tonight or what, so I'd love to know if this happens to anyone else! Edited by violetblue

On my skin it is initially strawberries and cream. The strawberry note gets stronger as it settles into the skin, but it seems borderline plasticky if I sniff too close. Still, mostly a strawberry vanilla dominated scent with a tinge of linen.

This is the same almost candied strawberry note used in Beaver Moon 2010.

Lol I got the pickles too violetblue, but that quickly burns off. I attribute that to the newness of the bottles.

I love this one, it is really fantastic sweet and tart strawberry vanilla and good.

This is definitely PINK. I get strawberry candy and vanilla as the strongest notes on my skin, but I pick up wafts of tobacco and incense as well. The cognac note is barely discernable on my skin. This is just a perfect Valentine's Day scent for me. :wub2:

Even on second testing, this still reminds me of a lighter, softer version of Pink Phoenix but with the faintest breath of rose. Definitely a pink scent, but one I can wear without feeling like it's too candied or too floral. :wub2:

In The Bottle: Strawberries and cream! Nomnomnom :yum:

Wet On Skin: It's still got those two notes in the forefront, but there's definitely the incense-y undernote of champaca in the mix now. It's subtle, though- at least at this point.

Dry Down: Okay, I'm getting the tobacco and a tiny hint of the cognac now. They toned down and softened the sugary sweetness of the star berries and cream. This scent has become like Antique Lace's sweet and wistful little sister. Whereas AL gives a feeling of heartbreaking nostalgia, Pink Lace has a gentleness, an innocence that is just gorgeous.

In All: Low throw, this is definitely a "skin" scent. There's a possibility for seduction with this scent, but it's not bawdy or raunchy in the least. I can't yet tell if this is something I'd wear for Valentine's or Lupercalia, but it's something I'm *definitely* going to slather once the weather turns warm.

Thrilled I got 3 bottles! :D

Wet: Fake Strawberries with barely there cream and incense.

Drydown: Cream incense? The strawberry is thankfully dying down and the what I assume is champaca is taking over and no tea rose. hmmmmm.........I think I like this and that the bottle will stay with me. :think: I will have to retest just to make sure. :think:

I wasn't really sure what to expect here, especially upon smelling my bottle. The reviews had left me hopeful, but I was greeted with a strong wiff of fake (almost sour) strawberries and my heart almost sank. Luckily, things improved from there. Wet, it's still a bit heavy on the fake strawberry candy, but the other elements quickly begin to emerge and temper the whole blend. This goes through an odd period when I can hardly smell it but after that the incense emerges in full force and it's soft, slightly fruity, smoky bliss. In fact, I'm not so much reminded of pink lace as a delicate swirl of pinkish smoke. Lovely. I think I'll be keeping my bottle.

Pink, Tattered and Red Lace have all turned awful on me with aging (and Autumn, Mourning and Absinthe Lace were awful to begin with). Pink Lace now smells like pink medicine and dust on me. Really weird and flat. Fades quickly.

My original review when the scent was fresh:

Pink Lace is mostly strawberry and rose with a little bit of creamy vanilla on me. I don't get a strong impression of the tobacco and incense, though there is a little bit of a smoky feel to it after an hour or so when it's mostly faded away.

This is a sweet, candied strawberry, but not sickly sweet or heavy on me (more like a fluffy strawberry cotton candy than a heavy strawberry syrup, if that makes sense). The rose almost smells a bit watery and perfumey (reminding me of rosewater?), cutting through the sweetness, and the vanilla just makes the whole thing smell creamier and softer.

This actually doesn't remind me of Pink Phoenix. It isn't as sweet as Pink Phoenix, and the perfumey rose and touch of smokiness really subdue the strawberry and vanilla.

Smells like strawberry cotton candy, perfumey rosewater, and a hint of smoke on me.

Edited by Little Bird

Pink Lace

In the Bottle:

Sugary, Watery Strawberry

On my Skin, Wet:

Simple Syrup Strawberries with a Splash of Vanilla & Heavy Cream

On my Skin, Dry:

Boozy Strawberry Sugar & Vanilla Cream

Verdict:

I was actually looking forward to a stronger booze note, but this really is lovely regardless.

It reminds me of the 2007 Beaver Moon with a splash of booze, paired with a delicate vanilla iced sugar cookie.

I really like it!

I really don't know what to make of this in the bottle. I imagined this to be boozy strawberry with a swirl of incense in the background, but instead, it's incredibly cloying. I imagined this to be strawberry à la Beaver Moon '10 but instead I get the strawberry from Kitty, which is personally a bit too sharp and syrupy sweet. Wet, it's not much different. The tobacco starts to come out after a minute or two but it's kind of an awkward entrance. At this point, it seems like a very odd choice to pair with this particular strawberry. The tobacco and incense dry out the strawberry but it's just not working for me during this stage. It's a freaking miracle, though. As the clock is ticking, slowly but surely, the strawberry and incense learn how to cooperate with each other and after about twenty minutes, I'm left with a wonderful strawberry cream incense. I don't know what happened, but somehow, the cloying strawberry calmed down and the tobacco and incense lost their dry vibe and everything became just a little more realistic. On the final dry down, the strawberries are smoother and the incense actually smells like incense sticks that haven't been lit yet. It's just a shame that I have to sit through 20+ minutes of a messy olfactory roller coaster before this gets its shit together and becomes awesome.

How strange- I barely get strawberry at all on my skin OR in my bottle!

My skin always loves tobacco and incense, though. And, like others have said, this is a low-amping skin scent.

In the bottle, I smell sweet, creamy incense with a hint of rosewater. Dried on my skin, it smells like (in descending order of dominance): tobacco, a hint of sweet incense smoke, a splash of rosewater, a dribble of cognac, and a faint memory of strawberry cotton candy. I really don't get much morphing at all! I did wait to try it until it had settled for a day.

I'm very glad I got this! I'm a huge fan of the original Black Lace, and I think that Pink Lace is something that I can wear during the day, and I can apply Black Lace in the evening without having a weird scent clash. Black Lace is sort of my signature going-out scent, but it's not usually something I can wear to work because it does give off a strong--albeit classy--cigs'n'booze vibe. Pink Lace is definitely my kind of scent, and it's work-appropriate and skin-hugging! Yay!

I bought a bottle of this because it's a Lace and I've loved all of them so far. I'm not sure the notes are going to do much for me at all. In the bottle, this is syrupy-sweet strawberries and alcohol in a bad way. It smells a little like the time a friend of mine decided to marinate some strawberries in Everclear. Wet on my skin, it's more of the same plus the addition of tea rose. The strawberry starts to disappear quickly, leaving this more of a sweet tea rose/champaca blend. Unfortunately, the strawberry comes back with a vengeance on the drydown. I had a feeling that I wouldn't like this because of the strawberry, and I wish I'd listened to my instincts. This smells like a 12 year old girl to me - all pink and glitter and experimenting with her mother's makeup for the first time. I can't imagine seriously wearing this perfume in any situation.

In bottle: Strawberry Shisha. For anyone who's ever smoked hookah, I think it smells a lot like strawberry shisha.

On wet: Getting a very pink strawberry feeling, similar to what Strawberry Moon was for me, but the tobacco is definitely there.

Drydown is light and faint, and now I just smell the perfume I put on this morning instead of this. I tried it on at 6 at night, and I put on Glittering Apple of the Stars this morning before work. Pink Lace has skipped off!

As a sucker for hot pink things, I do love the label art, and I'll probably hold on to my bottle for now.

Got this as a generous frimp from a decant circle purchase.

Pink Lace is the strawberry version of my beloved Dark Chocolate, Whiskey & Cognac Truffle.

I don't fancy pink, nor do I like strawberries...a little girly for me. In fact, the strawberries disappear from my skin after about half an hour, leaving only the booze and vanilla/cream? No incense. I have Egg Nog and Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chèvre (my faves) if I want to smell like Bailey's.

Edited by symphonyinsilence

Definitely pink! Tons of strawberry that doesn't fade the way Kitty does on me! The strawberry stays strong and sweet, and there's a hint of incense and tobacco underneath that keeps it from being too young and girly. I don't get any of the cognac. Very glad I got a bottle!! :wub2:

On my skin, Pink Lace isn't as 'pink' as I expected it would be. Disappointed, am I? Oh hell no.. I'm very happy at this turn of events! I already have a couple of girlypinkpretty BPALs (L'Essence De L'Engougement and Vasilissa come to mind) so I am not at all upset to discover that Pink Lace isn't as sweet and innocent as it makes out :smile:

I instantly recognise the same tea rose + white cognac combination that I got from Sybil - that delicious deep, warm and slightly boozy duskiness of the two together is very much present here, but where in Sybil there was a lot of other stuff going on around those two notes.. not so much in Pink Lace. The other thing I recognise is the same champaca incense as the one in Halloween: Las Vegas - deep, rich and sweetly smokey. The strawberry here is upfront and vibrant - it's a kinda tangy, rich strawberry rather than a soft and sweet strawberry - it's almost verging on a grape-like tone, like purple rather than pink but I suspect that's due to the cognac and champaca incense influence. The vanilla was a little hard to find at first, but once the initial boozy vibe settled down - there it was, and it's definitely vanilla with strawberry, not strawberry with vanilla. The tobacco gives it that familiar feel that I know so well from other members of the Lace family.. here, it's probably most similar to how the tobacco is in Tattered Lace.

So.. overall, Pink Lace on me is boozy strawberry incense. It's like Keith Richards in a dress. Good times :D

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Pink Lace fades really fast on me. When wet it's a lot of sweet vanilla with strawberry, but after a few minutes it turns into a very light incense with a hint of strawberries and cream in the background. I don't really get any cognac as far as I can tell, but it is a nice scent. The tobacco and incense definitely helps it "grow up" a little- otherwise I think it'd be a little too girly and not as sexy.I think if it'd stay longer on me I'd really like this.

In bottle: In the bottle Pink Lace smells like a cool version of Strawberry Moon with a bit more edge to it. I decided to do a review of the scent because I rarely do reviews as well as the fact that the other reviews I have read nearly scared me away from trying it in the first place. Many people have described it as a synthetic scent but I have to say that unlike The Kingdom of Sweets and Zombie Apocalypse this is not a synthetic scent in my opinion.

On skin: This scent starts out as a very jelly-candy scent. But after a few minutes it fades to a more strawberry blended with cherry. At first I thought it was very much alike NGAGL5 but it really is not very much alike it anyway. I love NGALG5 because it is kind of sour in a good way and it smells a bit more like alcoholic candy, at least on my skin. Pink Lace on the other hand smells beautifully while blended into my skin and it becomes a more natural sweet scent as the time passes. The fading is faster that for instant The Kingdom of Sweets or NGALG5 but the process is beautiful. If you like NGAGL5, Candy Phoenix, The Kingdom of Sweets, Zombie Apocalypse or Sugar Plum Fairy you will love love love this one. It does not beat Black Lace but they are in opposite categories so who cares? The best candy blend I have smelled since Candy Phoenix.

I really like this wet. It is tobacco/incense with a touch of pink strawberry. Dry, the tobacco and other darker notes disappear. I'm getting sickly sweet strawberry of the laffy taffy variety, though this seems far sweeter if that is possible. I really hoped this would be along the lines of Midnight on the Midway, or a 'dark' pink scent, but alas, this is too juvenile for me. I'll try this again after shark week, but I think this one is going going gone.

This smells exactly like Pink Moon 07 on me....I'm not sure why because I dont think they have a single note in common? Pink Moon had carnation and phlox (I forget what else)

I do like Pink Lace but it smells more like carnation on me than strawberry....either way I am keeping my bottle because I do love it!

Lovely soft strawberry and incense scent on my skin. Soft and pink. I tested it before I read the notes that were in it, (frimp in a decanting circle) and was SHOCKED to discover there is rose in this.

Normally rose hates me and goes to soap. :(

Sniffing deeply I can smell the rose, but it seems to be the soft true rose scent I love so much in the actual plant, not the dry soapy rose I have come to associate with EVERY other perfume oil with rose from BPAL I have tried.

All hail pink lace!!!!! :)

Edited by Larinessa

Strawberries and tea rose, with hints of cream and a swirl of incense. Definitely PINK.

This is a sweet, candylike blend. In some ways, it reminds me to Pink Moon 07, but much more delicate. In some ways, the vibe is more like Weeping Branches Moon without the Asian florals mainly in the ethereal, wispy sort of way.

Sweet, pink, candy.

Very sweet strawberry/vanilla with a plastic edge that's making me think of a Strawberry Shortcake doll. I think strawberry is officially going onto my death note list.