Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono

Peony blossoms and vanilla orchid.

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono is pink, pink, pink! Peony is one of my favorite notes, and vanilla orchid is also gorgeous, so this was a blind buy for me back in 2012. I didn't regret it, because this is just the pinkest, softest peony, wedded to vanilla-ed, almost nectar-y orchid. It's sweet on my skin, but juuuust at the edge of what might be a little too much for me, staying on the right side. I actually own a pink and cream kimono that I use as a wrap when I'm lazing around on the weekends, so I sometimes dot this on just to get the dual effect. ;)

Soft and sweet and so very girly. It's just perfect in its simplicity. Beth never ceases to amaze with these!

I love Peony. So far the only really Peony dominant blend I have found is Peony Moon, which I adore.

Wet: Much sweeter than Peony Moon, but still Peony forward. Quite pretty, but very very sweet. Almost candy-like in it's sweetness. I do like sweet, so I don't find it off-putting.

Dry: Still a very sweet Peony. It's really pretty though. To me, this is a "summer" peony, whereas Peony Moon is a "spring" peony. If that makes any sense...

♔ Lady in Pink Speckled Kimono

In the Bottle: Dewy almost pear-like watery sugared floral

Wet: The peonies and vanilla orchid in this come off as quite dewy and almost fruit-pear-like without actually being 'juicy'. It smells like it belongs in the same family as The Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree even though none of the components are remotely similar.

Drydown: The components in this blend are pretty solid and don’t do much morphing. The sugared peony blossoms remain very dewy, almost candied pear-like in fruit and the vanilla orchid is dissimilar to the muskier variation present other blends like Regan or Cascading Blossoms. It’s a beautifully bright, soft, creamy blushing pink. This is a great example of a perfect sugary and creamy floral- somewhere between dressed fresh and candied.

TL;DR: Dewy pear nectar and creamy candy-like pink peony

I wasn't sure Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono would work on me. I usually don't wear pure florals, and while I love the smell of peonies IRL, they're awfully heady. Vanilla is good, orchid is iffy. But this is perfectly lovely. It is more subdued than I imagined it would be, and not overly sweet. So while it's feminine as hell, it's sophisticated enough for professional wear and not at all girly. Low throw but good wear length.