Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono

Peony blossoms and vanilla orchid.

Peony is definitely the star note here.

Both wet and dry, it's a pretty pink sweet peony scent. There's something really fresh and clean about it, reminding me of Dirty. I was expecting something a little creamier, from the vanilla orchid, but I don't really smell anything other than the peony. It's very pretty and delicate, but I think a little too simple for me.

I never realized it was the peony in The Dormouse that makes it so tooth achingly sweet on me. Lady In Speckled Pink Kimono is mostly sweet peony on me, it doesn't change much, and I don't get a lot of vanilla orchid. It reminds me a lot of two different types of candies I'd buy as a kid, so my associations isn't to anything particularly elegant. ;) It's nice, but I don't think it's worth keeping my bottle.

Hello, pretty lady in your pretty pink kimono. You smell sweet and pretty - just like I thought you would.

At first, I find the peony to be a bit overly sweet - but then the lovely soft waxiness of the vanilla orchid comes in.. and eventually overtakes the peony. So what I end up with is vanilla orchid with a touch of peony - sweet, floral but not flowery, and somehow there's a real 'oriental' feel to it - it has a very cool tone.

Nice.. and pretty.. but nothing that makes me jump around in excitement.

it really smells like Opuhi ssniffed straight from the bottle :P

will test it later this week ;)

Why did my dumb ass not order a bottle of this one straight away?

BPAL's peony note is divine, and I love vanilla orchid.

This smells beautiful. Soft, pretty, feminine, and lovely.

Origin: Decant Circle

Initial Thoughts: I like peony and I've never smelled a vanilla orchid but thought it sounded divine.

In the Vial: A cool spring floral with a strong undercurrent of sweetness. Very refreshing.

Wet: Bright and fresh peony, cool orchid, and just enough vanilla to keep it from being leaf-and-stem green.

Drydown: Not much morph to this one. Maybe it's a tad greener and less sweet than when wet, but it's still a lovely spring floral with that delicate thread of sweetness.

Verdict: Gonna have to consider a bottle of this one.

I had read in the reviews that this was sweet but I had no idea how sweet this would turn out. It nearly verges into laundry detergent territory.

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono is a pink sweet floral that reminds me a bit of anise on my skin. Not for me.

I had read in the reviews that this was sweet but I had no idea how sweet this would turn out. It nearly verges into laundry detergent territory.

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono is a pink sweet floral that reminds me a bit of anise on my skin. Not for me.

My imp is a decant from the lovely and generous spiresinthesnow.

In the imp: Oil is clear and a very pale yellow in color. I'm not familiar with the scent of peonies (they don't grow in my area.) But this is a beautiful fragrance that seems almost fruity. I don't detect any note of vanilla; maybe the flower has a different scent than the bean pod.

On me, wet: The same lovely scent that seems both floral and fruity.

After 10 minutes: No change.

After 20 minutes: Pretty much the same, but now decidedly more fruity/foody than floral even though the only ingredients listed are flowers. The fruitiness has a candy-like quality to it. I'm also noticing something that reminds me of root beer. I remember thinking the same thing about another blend that had vanilla orchid in it. Maybe that's what the vanilla orchid smells like to me, or on my skin.

After 30 minutes: The scent has now become rather artificial in character, like a root-beer-and-fruit-flavored-candy-scented plastic toy. It's probably just something my skin chemistry is doing to it, and might not happen if I wore it in the perfume locket instead.

After 1 hour: It is much lighter, and most of the fruitiness is gone. Now it is vanilla bean (a note I haven't smelled before in this) and root beer.

After 2 hours: Only a faint trace of vanilla lingers.

Verdict: Intriguing and unusual, especially at first when the floral notes are more fully present. The overall effect is too foody in character to make me lust after a full bottle, but I will keep my imp and enjoy using it up.

My rating: 4 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Ordered a bottle unsniffed, because I missed Lupers decant circles.

Wet, in bottle - musty, dusty vanilla. I didn't panic, though, I figured it'd change once it was on, me, so... :unsure:

Wet, on skin - dusty dirt and vanilla. No peony. :sad:

Dry, on skin - dusty dirt and vanilla. STILL no peony. :blink: :cry2:

I really can't complain, out of five unsniffed bottles, this was the only one that didn't work on me. Cursed skin chemistry fail. :cry2: I wouldn't even be as disappointed as I am, if it wasn't for the fact that I've wanted a peony scent for YEARS. *pout*.

On me, this is a soft floral with a touch of something slightly cinnamony. After a bit the spice fades and a vanilla comes out with the floral. This ends up being a vanilla laden floral, though the vanilla is somewhat rubber doll-like on me. Skin chemistry fail.

This scent is so weird on me. I loved Peony Moon and was hoping for a similar scent, but this smells like sweet tarts candies + soapy laundry smell on me (maybe a soapy spring flowers thing). It starts off heavy and then fades quickly within five minutes, disappearing entirely before I've even had it on a full half hour.

This is the first Shunga I purchased. Peony has always been my favorite flower scent and I have yet to find one that smells true. It's definitely sweet and pink but I haven't been able to decide how floral it is on me. Some of the earlier reviewers mentioned that they can't smell this at all, and I find that it disappears quickly on my skin.

It's pretty and pleasant but not very peony. It feels like a very lolita-esque scent. Innocent and young and frilly. Definitely going to save this for some spring slathering.

This is VERY pink and a straight split of peony and vanilla orchid. While this might not have the pow and wow of some other pink scents, I keep gravitating toward it. It lasts forever and just pervades the general area. I can handle this anytime: when I'm cranky, sick, boisterous, or pissed. That's a good scent, in my records.

Pretty Peony is the first thing I smell. This is the first floral in a while that I have liked. It has such a pretty feel to it. I smell the vanilla orchid way in the back. The peony is the star of the show as someone mentioned before. The only thing is I hope this has some lasting power. Florals usually poop out on me. But I may keep this around because it's just so pretty. :wub:

EDIT: Passed on to my Mommy ;)

Edited by Ichigo

Ahhh, peonies . My Grandmother has had them growing in the front yard all of my life. I opened the bottle and took a whiff and I was eight again smelling them and dancing around the yard , picking a few to give to her or take home. I could see pink.This is a beautiful smell from the bottle to the skin, wet to dry it is a lovely scent. I will be buying more of this for certain!

I love the elegant femininity of the Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono. Wearing it makes me dress a little bit better and spend some time fixing my hair before leaving the house.

It does have an unexpected sweetness underneath. Something like brown sugar. And I like that too.

Excellent.

i love peony and i have had mostly successes with vanilla orchid so despite my natural fear of florals, i picked this one up. the peony is sweet and pretty and the vanilla orchid lends a smooth creaminess and keeps it soft and delicate. i don't have a lot of florals in my collection so lady in speckled kimono is a welcome addition.

Wet: Peony! Bright, and fresh. Non-soapy. Gorgeous.

Dry: My skin has mostly eaten this. Siiiiigh. I wish it would stay in the wet stage forever. If I keep this, I'll need to use it in a scent locket.

3/5

This scent is "pink" for sure, almost candy-like. Floral, but very fresh, like a peony just snipped from the bush and still glistening with moisture from the rain. As it dries, there's a slight anise or licorice note about it on my skin. I like it quite a bit, but am unsure about this licorice note.

Bottle: PEONY with something underneath

Wet: PEONY goodness. It could be Peony Moon or SN Peony as soon as it hits my skin.

Drying: And the peony draws back in about thirty seconds, making room for a creamy sort of floral.

Dry: I'm not sure what a vanilla orchid is, but in my mind, it's an ivory orchid which is growing around peony bush. It strangles it a bit, overpowering the original spurt of peony, which is a bit disappointing. But every now and again, I can get a waft of the fluffy pink flowers.

It's floral without being old-fashioned or over-the-top. All together, just a really pretty combination. I'm glad I bought this when I did!

Pink vanilla. Little sweet, in a not foodie but not floral way. Stays close to the skin. On me, this goes to sugary incense, like most everything, but with a youthful, happy top. I'd take a bottle of this if it was offered, but I don't need to run it down on eBay or anything. It's about a seven or eight (of ten)

This truly smells "pink" if pink had a smell. It is soft and light and extremely feminine. In the decant I can smell the lovely vanilla orchid mixed with peony- it has a nice sweetness. On my skin (which sucks up anything sweet), I get almost solely the peony, which has a slight hint of soapiness, but it's not awful. I don't get any of the vanilla orchid at all, unfortunately. A nice scent, but not something I'd probably choose to wear with all the other, sweeter (on me) options I have. If you're looking for a pretty soft floral- something very girly and romantic- this would be perfect.