Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

Coconut cake. That's what I get for a good solid 4 or 5 hours. Coconut cake. I think I might get a little rum, a bit of vanilla? But mostly coconut cake. I think tend to amp up coconut in scents. I don't actually smell any mint, but when I sniff deeply, there's a slight feeling of coolness in the back of my nasal passages. Weird, I know, and most likely just my imagination, but I thought I'd throw it in there anyway.

After 5 hours, I'm left with a sweet foody smell, and I'm getting a fuller picture of all the notes. Cake still dominates, though it might be a vanilla cake now. I might try mixing it with a peppermint essential oil, because I'd really like to have that brightness a little more prominently.

I like this, and I'm thinking of trying it as a home scent, though I have to warn everyone that within an hour of putting it on, I got a terrible compulsion to swing by Coldstone Creamery on the way home to get a mint chocolate chip shake. So it may not be a good thing for anyone on a diet. :P

I really like Spooky! I really wasn't sure I would - sweet scents tend to make me ill, and I was afraid of the mint being overpowering. But this isn't terribly sweet, the mint isn't strong on me at all, and it isn't as foody as I imagined. It's creamy but lively - a large dose of coconut (yay!) with undertones of mint and chocolate. I don't get the rum or much of a vanilla, but that's largely a good thing (I've had bad luck with both in the past.) The mint is cool, but not cold - it's not a freezing scent, it's just sort of reminiscent of a chilly wind blowing outside while you eat something really delcious inside. :P Spooky surpassed my expectations. Thanks to Beth for bringing it back! I'm really glad to have a bottle.

Spooky - first impression, wow this is really boozy like some sort of minty chocolate liqueur. Hard to believe it won't taste as good as it smells.

Once on I can smell the coconut now, more than the mint and chocolate though they are still very prominent. I like the mint in this and I'm a little suprised because most mints are too sweet on me but this blends well with the other notes - I get the impression of a big mug of hot cocoa with a peppermint stick. After a bit the coconut really takes over and now I'm reminded of this tanning oil I had when I used to actually lay out in the sun and try to get tan - delicious :D (not the tanning, the smell of the oil :D ) I'm glad this came back for a cameo appearance :P

First sniff from the bottle: holy crap! Thin Mint cookies and booze! Chocolate and mint and rum, which smells odd, but nice.

Freshly applied to my wrist: Hey, where'd the chocolate go? All I get is mint & rum. I don't know if I want to smell like mint & rum.

A few hours later: Dammit, dammit, dammit. I now smell like minty suntan lotion. I don't like the smell of suntan lotion to begin with (I'm a goth. I avoid the sun. I carry a parasol all summer. Suntan lotion does not trigger happy thoughts for me), and adding mint to it makes it smell strangely waxy.

Curses. I had such high hopes for Spooky. I will probably end up swapping or auctioning it off.

-Jilli

Not good. Not good at all. I knew that Spooky was going to be hit-or-miss, since coconut hates me.

Bottle: Malibu rum with the slightest touch of mint and chocolate.

On me: straight coconut. Which is to say, plastic. Ugh :P.

right hand: spooky 03

wet - coconut. cocoa. lightly minty.

drying - coconut. mint. cocoa

dry - cocoa. boozy. mint. thin mints and booze indeed. *happy sigh* still like this alot.

left hand: spooky 04

wet - MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINT.

drying - MIIIIIIIIIINT. coconut. something slightly bitter, the cocoa no doubt.

more drying - thin mints. no booze. no real coconut. sad.

dry - ooo there's the boozy coconut. now it's a boozy thin mint! though more cocoa than mint and both had backed off QUITE a bit.

dry, the difference between the two is pretty simple: last year's is definitely thin mint and booze. this year's is more coconut than thin mint, but the thin mint's still there. it's quite nice. :P

In the bottle, Spooky reminds me of a beautiful, fresh, incredibly tempting Grasshopper.

On me, the mint vanishes to the background, jut kind of haunting around the edges, while the coconut and cocoa duke it out and finally settle into a dusky, warm, sensually inviting scent that smacks of macaroons. There really isn't any booze on me, so it mainly smells like dusty coconut cookies.

And I loooooooove it, OMG! Very glad I bought two bottles, I am.

Spooky

Ah, Spooky. You are such silly, sweet glory. Yesterday was not one of my best days. The better half and I had been snipping a bit back and forth for a couple of days and yesterday just had me drained, mopey, and depressed from it. Spooky was my happy spot for the day.

When I first get into it, it reminds me a lot of the peppermint schnapps cake that I make. Peppermint schnapps into white cake with fudge Smuckers topping over the top and with peppermint schnappy layered into whip cream on top. In short-boozy, minty, and happy! Though, the mint is something more like butter rum and mint combined. If that makes sense. LOL The coconut comes skating on out after application and the mint fades down to a sort of loose, vague thing-like you think you smell something lightly minty, but you're just not sure.

It's all very lovely and just the perfect little dose of happiness that I needed yesterday. :P

In the bottle: Boozy Thin Mints! Girl Scout Cookies Gone Wild!

Wet: Mint. Bright, sharp mint. And the mint? It gets a little loud. The mint amps up and up and up until it seems to peak (drowning out everything else). And then there's this mildly unpleasant fake plastic-y and tinny smell. It's just...odd. The whole drying process/odd smell lasts about an hour.

Dry: Mmm...chocolate mint. Yum. It smells both warm and bright, if that makes any sense whatsoever. As I sat watching tv I kept smelling coconut. Mmm...coconut. So I'd lean in to sniff my wrist and...chocolate mint. *Just* chocolate mint. Huh. Then another breath of coconut. Sniff the wrist again and...just chocolate mint. I think the coconut took a road trip on my body. :P

Overall: I'll be trying this again. That weird plastic smell is really off-putting, but the final outcome is wonderful. Hopefully the drydown will be a bit better next time. :D

As I sat watching tv I kept smelling coconut.  Mmm...coconut.  So I'd lean in to sniff my wrist and...chocolate mint.  *Just* chocolate mint.  Huh.  Then another breath of coconut.  Sniff the wrist again and...just chocolate mint. 

I thought I was the only one that this was happening to. In the bottle and when I actually put my nose to my wrist and sniff, all I smell is a mint and chocolate (and I hate it), but if I am just walking around (Spooky has some nice throw by the way), I smell coconut oil and a light hint of mint. I LOVE COCONUT. I LOVE SPOOKY. I am soooooo incredibly happy that I have two bottles of Spooky because I love smelling like a coconut.

Hell, yes! O delicious Spooky, I hail thee! A coconut Thin Mint. This smells so awesome. It is purely foody, and I want to eat it, it smells so good. I will refrain, though. It starts out a little more minty on me, but now it's mostly chocolate and coconut with occasional twinges of cool minty-ness.

I want this in a shower gel and a hair conditioner! I want this as a room scent. I want this in dryer sheets and a/c vents. Ok, I love it! :P :D

I thought I wasnt going to like this, well I was very wrong! This is so appealing, even though you would think it might not be. The first time I heard about this scent being coconut, chocolate & minty... I was very turned off, I love coconut, but with choc & mint? It is perfect! I am in love with it, this ones a morpher as well. I love the stages it goes through even the minty one in the first 15-30 mins. To me this is the star, but with chocolate. I even smell some lime in there for some reason! I just love it, & I'm soooo happy that I bought 2 bottles, just in case... cause we all know Beth's a genius! :P

In the vial: Thin mint Girl Scout cookies with a hint of coconut

Wet, on my skin: Mint and coconut, with chocolate in the background. I'm not getting any rum, per se, but I guess it is sort of peppermint-schnapps-like.

On drydown: The chocolate and booziness fades away and I am left with a mintier version of Tarot: The Star. I like it a lot, but I'm not as crazy in love with Spooky as I thought I'd be.

In the bottle: Minty coconutty goodness!

Wet: Boozy chocolate with a blast of mint and some coconut hanging out in the background. Oddly enough, it's actually smoky in this stage. I want to say that's the chocolate that's adding that dimension.

Drydown: Definitely coconut over a background of chocolate. There's some mint peeking out here and there when I sniff at my arm.

Final thoughts: I wish the mint would come out a bit more, but I'll have to try this again. I'm currently on my period so my skin chemistry is a little off from the usual.

I bought this without thought, it was Spooky, so how could I not? Later, I worried about about the foody nature of it, as I'm not usually a foody scent type of person.

Now that I've got it in my grubby little hands....I'm still not sure.

In the bottle, I get wet, boozy mint. Verrra interesting...

On my skin, while it's drying, I get all of the description. Rum, mint, cocoa, coconut, it's all there in a really silly, crazy blend.

After it's dry, for the next half hour or so, I get....minty suntan oil. Ew. Not so good.

That was almost enough for me to wash it off and put it on the swap board...but I decided to hang in there for a little while longer...

At about an hour, I get deep, dark minty cocoa. As if you'd dipped a thin mint into an extra coat of really dark chocolate. Well, that's ok...

This goes through YET ANOTHER mutation, though I'm not sure when it happened. After a while, the mint faded, and the booze came back. Hasn't changed since I noticed that, so for the last several hours I've had a nice chocolate liquer thing going on.

I'm still undecided. It will take a few more tries to figure out. I'm definitely not a fan of the coconut stage, though.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by phaedrine

In the bottle I smell mint. When I put it on, the blast of mint is followed by a slight coconut scent, then it goes plastickey.

This is the first time I've experienced that. Something it my body chemistry does not agree with Spooky.

I'll keep one bottle to use as a room scent, and the other two will go up for swap.

In the bottle it's minty-chocolatey, complex and a little strange. It's ringing a bell that takes a while to settle in but once i dab it on and the scent gets some lift i realize i smell like a chocolate martini.

o_O

Wow! i'm not getting much coconut, or sweet oil scent, after about 20 minutes the mint has faded back and i smell an incredibly rich, powdery cocoa wafting from me when i move.

this is so amazing..

:P

SPOOKY!

(I just love the name. This may be the best name for a perfume ever!)

*ahem*

So, Spooky. In the bottle it smells sweet, minty, and chocolatey. On my skin, the mint became the most prominent first, and as it dries it becomes a bit smoky. The smokiness worried me at first, but as it settled into my skin, instead of becoming smokier, it got warmer, and a toasted coconut scent began to emerge. This is a weird, silly scent indeed, but it's positively ADDICTIVE from the get-go! A shape shifter, but with an overall yummy, giddy, energetic vibe.

I should mention that this is THE FIRST scent that my husband ever has complimented me on! Funny; he picked out the coconut scent right away and said that I smelled "really nice." He said that it "doesn't smell like perfume, but smells good." Believe me, coming from this man -- the hardest man on earth to please when it comes to fragrance -- this is a huge compliment.

As much as I like this now, I really think I'm going to love it in the Fall. This is a very "Fall" scent to me. It's going to be fantastic in October, when the air is crisp and leaves are crunching underfoot. I think I like this better than all the Halloween LE's! To me, this is all the candy and fun and silliness and darkness of Halloween all rolled into one.

Divine. Thanks so much, Lab, for bringing this back!

:P

Edited to add: OMG, the longer I wear this, the more sweeter it gets! The toasted coconut starts to give way to the chocolate again. Ooh this is an intriguing one! Love it! LOVE! IT!

Edited by summer

:D

Spooky. I have been pining for this scent for almost a year and feel so fortunate that Beth decided to release it again. It's really everything I had hoped it would be and more, because it morphs so much. The first time I tried it, since some people said it was like Snow White*, which is very strong on me, I put a small amount on, just from the rim of the bottle. I didn't get any rum but I got the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie vibe right away. Then the scent got very thin and dry, it reminded me a lot of Velvet and most other blends with cocoa, they get a smoky, woody quality on me. At this point, I thought it was gone, but then the coconut came out and Spooky became very creamy. About an hour into drydown, a little of the cocoa came back. The mint was a cool feeling in my sinuses, I couldn't really smell it, I just felt it was there.

At that point I knew I was keeping Spooky all to myself so I put a glass wand cap on the bottle so I could slather the wonderful stuff. :D :P :D That's the way to wear Spooky! I got the wonderful rum, it's just right, not butterscotchy sweet like it is in Grog, just rummy. The cocoa is still dry, the mint is sparkling and the coconut comes out a little later. The amazing thing about this is that it really isn't sweet, the way you would expect such a foody scent to be. It's cool, crisp, smoky and creamy. I love, love, love, love, love it :D

*BTW, this is nothing like Snow White on me.

ETA: SPOOKY I agree, I love saying that name :evil:

Edited by ChupaChup

Update: Sadly, I had to let this sit for three weeks. The revised review

In the bottle: Peppermint, chocolate

Wet: Minty. Minty, but slightly chocolate.

Dry: It's somewhat minty, but the chocolate is also there. I think I pick up a little bit of rum, also. It's good, but I don't love it.

Edited by oatmealneko

I *really* wanted to love this one, and I did, in the bottle. But on me it turns into tanning lotion. Ick. I get no mint at all, just overpowering coconut and rum.

Sadness. :P

This is a strange one. My body amplifies anything with chocolate in it. So much so, that I have to wash the culprit off immediately. I have very mild asthma, it rarely bothers me but Spooky had me wheezing.

How sad. Off to the swap mines for you Spooky!

I bought 2 bottles of this prepared to love it...

but there is something (the coconut???) in it that is the same as Snow White... and after about 10 minutes of lovely Andes Mint... it turns to this fake plastic coconut smell...

after about 30 minutes... its just plastic... like the molded animal toys I used to get at the zoo when I was a kid...

this will be going up for sale as soon as my heartbreak subsides :P

For some reason I thought Spooky would be more holiday-ish. Instead to me it's a very cooling, summery scent, like eating mint-chocolate-chip ice cream on a hot summer day with the shades pulled. I got this on the first truly warm day of spring (80's in AZ) and it felt very appropriate. However, it didn't smell all that complex - on me, the booze and cocoanut completely evaporated and I eventually wound up smelling like a Thin Mint. Which is pleasant enough, but I have so many more BPALs that I'd rather wear that I may use this mostly as a house scent.

Gosh!

In the bottle it's very chocolately minty! I can detect a small tiny note of coconut, but I don't really get much else.

Wet, the chocolate-mint takes off running. The chocolate has a slighly bitter note to it, like dark chocolate. The mint is also very cooling & slightly bitter too, very reminiscent to pennyroyal. I can get a bit of the coconut mingling in the background with the chocolate.

Drying, and on and on, the chocolate & mint soften to a nice cool & rich smell, reminding me of Thin Mints. The coconut is a bit stronger now. I think this perfume is the bastard child of Thin Mints and Samoas! Still no buttery rum, which is fine with me, as I love it as it is.

I am so glad I bought a metric assload for myself! This is devine.