Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Numanoid

Lick It Discreetly

This year’s minty double ententre! A sticky, chilly peppermint candy cane with sweet vanilla and an extra jolt of sugar.

WOW!! I guess I am the first to review this....bear with me, since this will be my first review ever! Soo...all I can say is WOW! This is a crazy peppermint overload...in a good way!

Wet: In the bottle: PepperMINT!! There is a hint of vanilla in there, but to me, very little.

On the skin: Still very pepperminty...I keep thinking of the York peppermint patties....the oil is actually COLD on my skin, not just in the scent, but it feels cold!! Crazy good!!

The sugar I think keeps it at bay...because even though this is heavy on the mint, as it dries down, I feel the chill on my skin but still get that icy peppermint. It made my eyes water at first, but WOW!!! Talk about crazy good!! :joy:

20 Minutes later: Fades on me fast, but in a good way...has become a nice, mellow slightly creamy mint, kind of reminds me of those little pastel colored buttermints, but not too creamy. THIS is a real keeper!

Next Day: Tried it again, LOVE the scent, but sadly, about half an hour later, it is completely gone! Maybe my chemistry? :cry2:

I read the previous lick it reviews and was curious about how this one would come out. Got a bottle while blatantly ignoring the vanilla. (Well, I did that on reading all the yule descriptions, but hey) I have been wearing it for a few hours most days now. I'll explain why it hasn't gotten a full day wear. I've even made a dent in the bottle!

In the bottle, I swear it smells completely like peppermint puffs. The first day I tried it, all I could think of was peppermint candies to suck on, but not candy canes. It felt like they would turn to powder if you crush them, which I don't picture with candy canes. It was my friend hiding a bag and then thinking I found them and was already eating them that figured that out.

When it first gets on my skin, all I get is mint. The oil even makes my skin tingle. Cool. I'd say just peppermint, but I swear I'm getting a hint of spearmint and some other mints. It's like I took the actual herbs and ran them over my skin. But, for the most part it's peppermint. As it dries, there's the sugar blending in. The vanilla seems to try, but easily gets beaten back by the other two. This lasts for about four hours. Then, the vanilla comes out. The other scents seem to fade away at that time, and within an hour, my head starts hurting. So, I alcohol swab and soap scrub it off. Vanilla and I just can't seem to get along. :(

Overall, it's a cool scent. My mom smelled it on me when we were going out and, without me telling her or even offering to let her smell it, mentioned that that was what she thinks of as a "Christmasy" scent. I told her and she said that explains everything.

Wheeeeeeeee it's a candy cane!!!!!!! I thought that was so cool, but then I tried it layered with Gelt. Ok, you can kill me now. Now that I smell like Peppermint Bark, I can die happy...

O HAI MINT. MINT. mintmintmintmintmint. Did I mention mint? This one will clear your sinuses for sure- it's a blast of peppermint that reminds me of Polos or those crazy XXX Mints-oh the British candy of my childhood-and gradually calms down into a lovely minty vanilla. I really like the drydown, and I bet the minty blast will be really nice in the summer. Bracing!

I'm a huge fan of the Lick It series, and have tried all of them. Lick It Discreetly is the sugariest of the bunch with a lot of peppermint and just a drop of vanilla. Its not my favourite of the bunch (that would be Lick It Like You Mean It of a few years ago) but its still very good, an extra sweet candy cane scent. Yum! :yum:

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I always try the Lick Its. The original remains one of my all-time favorites and I've found a couple since then worth decants but a couple have gone plasticky on me.

In the Vial: Of course, mint and more mint. This one seems colder than some versions - perhaps it's the lower level of vanilla that some have mentioned. It's not quite as sinus-clearing as I remember one or two of them being.

Wet: Sweet and very crisp mint. This one does lend itself to the inside of a York Peppermint Pattie comparison. And now it's almost sinus-clearing in its strength.

Drydown: As it dries it is actually cooling my skin the way (if I remember correctly) the original did. The mint has softened somewhat, but it is still a most minty-sweet scent.

Verdict: This one might be worth a bottle.

The stuff actually tingles on the skin, which is refreshing but a bit startling at first. I do like peppermint and I am a sweetie lover, but this one doesn't come off to me as candy as much as a mentholated rubbing oil. Not a hit with me and rather disappointing as I guess I was expecting a bottle of liquid candy. :rantrave:

I try the Lick It blends every year, hoping that they'll be more like the original Lick It 2005. Lick It 2005 is cooling and lovely, but still sweet... it really smells like peppermint hard candy to me, a perfect mix of mint and candy. This is more menthol/mint and reminds me of mouthwash more than candy. A little too intensely minty and not sweet enough for me. I do like the cooling sensation, but dislike the scent...

Now that's what you call a candy cane. In the vial, Lick It Discreetly has a sharper peppermint note than last year's variation. This one smells almost like straight up peppermint oil in the vial. Wet, the peppermint remains strong, and even creates a tingling sensation in my nose, but a soft vanilla comes out to play to create a true candy cane scent. This is such a fun, uplifting scent that I would definitely reach for on days when I'd feel a bit down or stressed.

Chillier menthol, hit of sweet peppermint and soft vanilla on the drydown. Cooler and mintier than last year's variation.

In the decant: More spearmint than peppermint.

Wet: Wow, holy mint, Batman!

The dry-down: The mint calms down, somewhat, but taking a big whiff of this will clear things out. The vanilla and the sugar are present and probably tempering the mint. Very intense!

Wet, just like a candy cane, fresh and opened from it's package. Dry, an odd kind of buttery vanilla with the mint. I prefer Lick it Vigourously, the vanilla is more true. This reminds me of the colored chocolate textured butter mints. The butter note is pretty overwhelming here.

I've been fortunate enough to try a couple of the Lick Its, and this is the sweetest one I've tried, less straight candy cane and more peppermint ice cream (which I LOVE). Cold, sweet, and a little bit sticky, this absolutely says winter and Christmas to me.

In the Imp (ITI): It smells like a vanilla-infused peppermint candy cane!

Wet: Still smells like peppermint candy. The vanilla is less apparent, but still present.

Dry: It’s totally peppermint. A great scent if you want that refreshing quality of mint.

The first few minutes of this are heavenly: pure, bracing peppermint with a gorgeous underlying creamy sweetness from the vanilla. YUM! I want to, well, lick it - and I inadvertantly did somehow get some on my lip, which actually wasn't fun at all.

Anyway, after several minutes of bliss my skin does what it often is wont to do with vanilla (and in this case, the sugar is also probably contributing): it turns to plastic. The mint recedes drastically, so eventually I'm left with just a faint whiff of bandaids. :(

It was so good at the beginning, though.

Candy cane in the bottle, not too sharp. Burns immediately on application, although it reduces after a moment. I see why this is "Discreetly"; it's a subdued candy cane. The sugar drops away as it dries, leaving a too-strong single note of peppermint oil. Never any vanilla at all in this one. The entire thing is nearly gone after half an hour, with just a little burn as a reminder.

Exactly as advertised: a cold, sugary peppermint. This didn't have any averse reactions on my skin from the peppermint, but I did distinctly feel 'cooling' upon application. The peppermint throws a big ol' party for itself for a good thirty minutes, then pops away.