Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ellebelle

The Orchards of Hell Atmosphere Spray

THE ORCHARDS OF HELL
Pomegranate, mint, aconite, black poppy, white rose, narcissus, willow bark, wonder-flowers, asphodel blossoms, and poplar.

I had actually hoped for more pomegranate in this, but it's not a major player. The first squirt smells heavy on the narcissus but as that fades, it leaves a rounded, refreshing whole. I like this because it's a scent you can spray that doesn't scream "ROOM SCENT" - it just freshens, and I think that's nice.

This is very light, almost sparkling. I get a quick hit of the pomegranate and mint when it is first sprayed, then mostly very light trees-the willow bark and poplar which are almost wtery and refreshing. I guess there are some very light white flowers underneath as well, to sweeten it a bit, but it's mostly just fresh and clean. NOT pomegranate heavy or super fruity at all, really pleasant.

It's hard for me to pinpoint any specific note in this one...it's an overall slightly fruity floral blossom blend. Soft, and actually something that would smell perfect in Spring or Summer as much as Fall.

I smell pomegranate and flowers. Of the flowers, the only note I could pick out was rose, which makes sense since (LOL, say that out loud) I don't know what the others smell like. But the rose is very subtle - I don't think I would notice it if I didn't know there was rose oil in this. It's really a mixed-florals scent, not a rose scent. I didn't notice any wood (poplar or willow bark) or herbs (mint or aconite.) I do like this very much. The scent in the air lasts for a medium length of time and remains fairly consistent, without any obvious changes over time.

My rating: 4 stars

This didn't sound like something I'd really enjoy to begin with, and so it's not a big surprise that it's not really a 'me' scent. I have trouble picking out any one note; it's sort of a fruity-floral mishmash that's slightly perfumey and sharp to my nose. It's a bit on the clean smelling side of things, but mostly makes me feel like someone sprayed on a perfume that I don't quite care for. For a bptp room spray, The Orchards of Hell wasn't as strong as a lot of my other sprays and seemed to fade a bit faster than usual. I think that this smells more spring than fall-like, but it isn't something I'd reach for again. Perfumey, clean floral and subtle fruitiness.

When first sprayed, seems a minty pom. But then it slowly changes to a white rose (and other pale florals) aquatic with mint. It seems that I would use this more in the late winter or early spring when frost could still appear. Certainly a cool note over all.

Minty pom, hint of rose, and florals. Definitely more floral than I expected.

Also the sweetness+ pom note does not smell particularly well to me, but I have problems with the BPAL pom note.

Scent: Huffing the sheets right after spraying, all I smell is pomegranate, deeply rich and juicy, and so sweet it almost seems artificial. Then I notice a dry, cold edge that may be coming from the mint and aconite, and perhaps a dry wood. However, the complexity emerges when I stand back and smell the room: now I can make out how the myriad other notes (especially the florals) are contributing to the scent complexity, although I can't identify them individually. By and large, the "showcase" notes are juicy red pomegranate, freezing mint and bitter aconite.

Overall feel: This is a gorgeous scent. I like the pomegranate note, and love this juxtaposition of the red juicy fruit with the biting coldness of the other notes. The Orchards of Hell is cold and dry, yet rich and full-bodied; distinctively feminine in a queenly way. Yet it has a forlorn, bleak ambience to it. I'm put in mind of a sorrowful queen walking in a fruit orchard, in a cold, drear underworld. Colour impression is very dark crimson and scarlet brocade and damask.

Throw/Longevity: Strong throw that fills the room. It lasts about a full day; the deep red scent is the last to go.

Verdict: This is the first BPTP room spray that I've tried, and I fell in love on the first spray. The Orchards of Hell is darkly feminine with a "Goth" feel; it evokes sombre, melancholy royalty, immortality forgotten in time. I use it on cold days, and when I want a contemplative atmosphere -- which is often. I love having a room that matches my favourite moods! This is worth a full bottle for sure.

I just got a bottle of this from the BPTP on Etsy and OMG I'm in love!!! It literally makes me fee like I've stumbled into Persephone's Garden in Hades. Love it!!!!