Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

CANDIED PUMPKIN
A traditional Dia de los Muertos ofrenda: sweet pumpkin cooked with piloncillo, orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, fresh ginger, maple syrup, honey, and clove.

This smells almost like Pumpkin Bread. It's sweet and rich but not overbearing.

Perfect Orange note with a little zing and a hint of balsamic mellow.

For whatever reason, Beth's Mexican and South American blends almost always work on me. This is so perfect.

The spices are JUST right.

Overall, full bodied and very pretty. This is definitely one of my top three Pumpkin blends from the Lab.

This is beautiful and very 'grown up'. It isnt' as sweet as I was expecting. It's very pumpkin-y in the background, almost like plain sweet potato. I get wafts of the orange and the very nicely blended spices. Well-rounded! :wub2:

This one is awesome. To me, it smells like pumpkin and bread. Not pumpkin bread, though! The most noteable thing about Candied Pumpkin was the sillage, though. I opened it for a sniff in my room, and it spread all through the place! Seriously, it was all I could smell for like 10 whole minutes. :lol: Lovely!

Bottle? Pumpkin pie. Yum. On me? Smells just like the Feb '09 13 - one of the spices just doesn't work, and I'm leaning towards the brown sugar. It doesn't smell bad, but that one spice is taking over, and it smells nothing like the yummy pie in the bottle. Definitely very noticeable and long-lasting through at least two hand-washes.

The initial wear was a sugary pumpkin that had an spicy undercurrent.

After a couple of hours, the spice was overwhelmingly strong & drowned out a lot of the pumpkin & obliterated the sugars.

This may need to age - hopefully the spice calms down

I was hoping for a nice pumpkin-y scent, but this is pretty much straight up pumpkin pie spices on me. It reminds me a lot of pumpkin latte without the coffee. Not what I was hoping for at all....I have plenty of scents that are pumpkin spice (heavy on spice) none of which I wear. Off to swaps with this one!

Oh god.... YUM!

In the bottle & wet it's pumpkin, carmelized OJ, spices, yeast(in a good way), and somthing woody that reminds me a little bit of Krampus & some of the 13's.

Dry, it's pumpkin spice for a while, then the woods warm up, but it always stays spicy & sweet.

Sweet like molassess, rich and deep, not sugary & cloying sweet....

Overall, a keeper, with similarities to some of my favorites....a very typically "me" scent.

Eta: Definitely a "dabber"... killer sillage!

Edited by Autumnsky

This one is baked pumpkin with all the spices. Not sure yet if this one will be a keeper. There is a note in here that seems...off...on my skin, maybe the ginger? I do wish the orange note was stronger on my skin.

Initially straight out of the bottle and wet on my skin it smelled OMG craft store Fall Halloween scent!! on me :( Once dried it simmered down and after about an hour it really had a nice warm glow about it...to me it smelled like pumpkin pulp, sweet cinnamon, clove, ginger, and a bit of orange (juice). A really snuggly scent once it dries! :D

ETA: Also wanted to point out that it has AMAZING longevity! I could smell it throughout the whole day and into the night..but the throw is moderate and not too in your face. Love that!

Edited by sea_stars

I was hoping for a mix of sweet pumpkin, light spices, and orange, but Candied Pumpkin is pretty much cinnamon single note on my skin :(. It dries down like dusty cinnamon potpourri on my skin, which makes me sick. Reminds me of the Pumpkin Pie bath oil, but with less of a bakery feel and more cinnamon.

In the bottle: Sweet liquid candy sugared pumpkin mash. :)

Wet: Seriously, like a pumpkin liquor!

The dry-down: Mellows out in the dry-down, with the almost butterscotch liquor note fading away in front of the spices. I liked this better when wet (and thus will probably go to the scent locket). Seriously cute vintage or vintage-style label. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

This is a very spicy pumpkin pie scent, but it has a darkness to it despite the citrus. Very strong throw, but I've received compliments from coworkers when wearing it, so it's not work inappropriate. I expected something a little sweeter, given the "candied" part of the name, but I think that comes from a candied ginger- like those sugared ginger candies. It seems like the same ginger that is in the black label version of 13, and that keeps it from being buttery or sweet. Overall, a very good pumpkin pie scent, in the same family as Blue Pumpkin Floss and Pumpkin Pie Bath Oil. And it's great layered with Marshmallow Pumpkin Pie Bath Oil if you want to sweeten it up a little. :wub2:

I'm not really a foody, though there are exceptions. This ends up being a wonderful warm, butter spicy pumpkin, with the spices leaning on the 'dark side'. It is perfectly balanced with the creamy, sweet pumpkin. I really like this, but don't know how often I'd wear it, as it is very specific to fall time and the snow is already flying up here. The decant will certainly suffice, though, and I'm sure I'll use it up over time.

Cinnamon overload for me unfortunately. It dominates the blend leaving the pumpkin no room to surface.

Clove makes a subtle appearance in the far background, but this is basically all cinnamon on my skin. :(

Candied Pumpkin - In the bottle, this smells awful to me. I think I'm mostly smelling the brown sugar and bitter ginger, which aren't good notes to my nose. However, once it's on my skin, it warms up to amazing and spicy gorgeousness. It's definitely a warm pumpkin scent that's loaded with ginger, clove, and cinnamon. The brown sugar doesn't ruin the scent like I expected. It's delicious and makes me hungry for a delicious pumpkin dessert.

Extra spicy pumpkin bread. i get the brown sugar, clove, cinnamon and maple sugar. This is sweet, sticky and spicy. I find it more masculine, given the spices involved than say something gender neutral or girly.

Uhhh.... I totally want some pumpkin pie now. Not for the hungry.

yum! a true pumpkin scent, cooked down all sweet and delicious with spices and sugar. i am considering layering it with pumpkin masala rooibos to give it an extra blast of pumpkin. delicious!

it's a really strong scent- it seems to linger in my nose even after i stopped trying to sniff it.

This is an odd fragrance because you can smell all the notes when you pay attention, but the overall effect is that of a single-note, spicy, dusty cinnamon. I really do enjoy this despite not being much of a "foodie". Quintessentially autumn. A keeper- my boyfriend loves it though I fear he may try to eat my arm.

First Sniff: Delicious soft cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, yummy!

Wet: Brown sugar comes through and I’m hoping this will be a tasty foodie scent. It reminds me of pumpkin cookies or sugar cookies; fresh and warm from the oven!

Dry: As it dried, and after I peaked at the description, I really am getting maple syrup from this. Once it dried completely, the ginger and the syrup were content to be together, although quietly. Despite being faint, it was lovely and comforting overall. (I’ve got to figure out a way to make these scents stay and be stronger on me!)

My Reaction: I expected something sugary sweet and this is it; although not in a nasty, overly-sugary sort of way. The maple syrup was a nice surprise although it does make me hungry for waffles or pancakes! And I think the hint of nutmeg plays off the other notes very nicely.

Rating 1-5: 4

Oh, this is nice!

Sweet pumpkin with a liberal amount of cinnamon and ginger.

Similar to Pumpkin Queen and Pumpkin V 2007, both of which were heavy on the ginger as well. But those were too strong for me, while this blend is just right.

A sweet, spicy, foody Halloween dream. :)

In vial: Sugar, spice, and a earthy pumpkin.

On me: An earthy, vegetal pumpkin--not waxy or sickly sweet, as BPAL pumpkins sometimes go, but sugared and backed by a mixed spice. It reminds me almost of mulled pumpkin--that sort of mixed, indeterminate, gentled spice, but over a pumpkin base. I sometimes get something weird out of it, a sharpness or a vegetal rot. Amazing wear-length.

Verdict: Given my description, I'd expect to love this, and it is pleasant; it's also the truest pumpkin I've tried. But the mulled-ness, that indistinct mixed spice, doesn't have the brightness or, well, spice that I want.

A heady, sweet tarty pumpkin dessert or diner. A zing of orange, maple syrup and pulpy sugared pumpkin are the strongest notes for me. I'm not used to maple syrup and it's making me feel a little ill here - though if you're a fan this is TOTALLY for you. It's not unpleasant, personally just a little too heavy on that. 
That said, there's a nice undercurrent of spices (CINNAMON!!). It's not loud or in your face, but a yummy waft of pumpkiny goodness!