Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Lady Amalthea

LADY AMALTHEA
Molly Grue had taken the white girl's head onto her lap, and was whispering over and over, "What have you done?" The girl's face, quiet in sleep and close to smiling, was the most beautiful that Schmendrick had ever seen. It hurt him and warmed him at the same time. Molly smoothed the strange hair, and Schmendrick noticed on the forehead, above and between the closed eyes, a small, raised mark, darker than the rest of the skin. It was neither a scar nor a bruise. It looked like a flower.

A luminous white winter musk with lilac, wisteria, white chocolate, white mint, and tuberose.

This is a cool, very light purple scent, definitely strong on the lilac and wisteria, so it's quite sharply floral, but in a good way. I mostly get an undercurrent of neutral mint. There's the waxiness of tuberose, and it is reminding me of lying in near a snowdrift, with tons of petals, the small delicate lilac flowers with drippy purply cold, fleshy wisteria, and the icy tuberose... drydown is more towards lilac wax in only the best way possible. The mint is also present as a freshness behind the whole thing. It has a Yule-feel without being overly Yuley, if that makes sense.

Drydown is not to strong on chocolate, mostly sweet hint of mint and mixed florals / cold flowers.

It's amazing how you can smell every note in this scent. You can name the note, and pick it out, and name another, and there it is. This is in the realm of The Last Unicorn and Snow White. The white winter luminosity is pushed further by mint. However this is ever more floral than SW. The lilac is beautiful in this scent, it is made bright by the snow and it plays games with you, hiding behind the wisteria. Just when you think you've caught the lilac you catch a whisper of white chocolate. It's a beautifully complex and yet simple scent. Again, exactly as Lady Amalthea should have been. It's beautiful.

Edited by Absinthetics

I waited FOREVER for this scent to come out to finally place my first bpal order. I life in japan so i need to collect stuff to make the shipping worth.

Lady amalathea is the ideal woman for me since my childhood. I always wanted to look like her. Even dyed my hair white for quite some years. She is elegant, wise, beautyful and mystical.

When i was first sniffing it in the bottle i was a bit dissapointed to be honest because it was not the way i thought lady amalthea would smell. I thought somewhat sweeter maybe. But its like reading a book and seeing the movie after it. It can be like you where imagine it or totally oposite.

But then again it was after a long day of kittchen work where i smelled a lot of different stuff so i let it sit for some days to finally try it out.

In the bottle: I mainly catch sweet vanillary flowes and mint. That scares me a bit since bpal flowers tend to go all grandmum on me :ack:

On my skin wet: HHHEELLLOOO MINT! The mint overpowers everything. The flowers stepped in the background

On my skin dry: Sweet flowers playing with mint. And there is something forresty smelling in the background. Like grass but more like grass in a forrest if this makes any sense.

The mint burns slightly on my skin.

After 10 min: Thats the fastest morphing scent i ever had from bpal until now. Now its all woodsy grass and mint.

After couple of hours: it became beautiful sweet but fresh minty flowers. Still something grassy in the background but i love the grassy notes because it stops the florals from becomming to grandmum and flowery on me.

Verdict: All my dissapointment from the first sniff is gone. This is exactly how i imagine my beloved, perfect lady amalthea to smell like. Woodsy, innocently sweet and fresh like mint

The fast morphing scent is for me like seeing her changing from a strong unicorn into the breakable human lady amalthea. It starts out strong and sweet like a unicorn and morphes into a breakable, soft and fresh scent. Breakable as the unicorn in its human body.

This scents makes me sad somehow but i love it at the same time.

What impresses me is that the scent is holding up pretty well even it is so soft and breakable. I was washing my cats 3 hours after putting this on (2 of my 3 cats have a skin condition so the doctor reccomended me to wash them every 2 to 3 month) and i got wet and sweaty doing this the scent was as strong as before on my skin when i sniffed it later on.

The throw is not very strong. if someone is sitting next to you or hugs you he or she will smell it but its not like aged snake oil where people can smell you from the other side of the street :eek: (i love aged snake oil it just has the stronges throw ever!)

Not sure if i will have a second bottle comming my way or just cherishing this one since i am not sure how this one would turn when its aged. But i love it and it will be my summer and spring go to.

All in all a beautiful beautiful blend with a beautyful artwork. My favorite flowery blend so far.

I even love it more than voyeurs among the cherry blossom which was my favorite up to now

This is a very very nice scent! It is very girly, cool, and sweet. Actually, this is everything I hoped The Last Unicorn would be. Not herbal or overly floral on me. This is mainly white chocolate, and slight mint. I say slight mint because I mostly get the coolness from the mint, as opposed to the strong herbal/sharp side of mint. There is of course the floral aspect, but for me, its in the background, lying under pools of creamy cool white chocolate. Maybe tuberose too. A cool white chocolate covered bunch of tuberose. lol. That said, I agree that you can pick out each note of you look for it, but, overall its crisp white chocolate tuberose. Very Very nice. This actually reminds me a bit of The Girl. Although this is much more cool, and a little bit lighter. The total drydown (like 6-8 hours later) is a very soft cool, powdery vanilla.

Being a guy, this isnt really something I would wear (even though I do sometimes rock a feminine scent XD ). However, this is a way awesome perfume imo, and I WILL be trying this as a linen spray on my sheets with a little perfumers alcohol.

btw, I just read the other reviews and whoa, I dont know why my impression was so different from everyone elses. :eek: Especially since I am usually really sensitive to floral notes. :lol: Oh well, I guess thats what skin chemistry will do XD

This one broke my heart. I should've known since wisteria and I don't get along but I was hoping that somehow, it would magically work, but what I got was headache-inducing heady florals. I get all the notes listed, the strongest on me are the wisteria (as per usual) and white mint which together is just pure fail on me, in the background is the white chocolate, tuberose (which adds to the heady floral fail), lilac and hardly any white musk which I was hoping would be stronger. It's like a mix-up of Needlework, The Last Unicorn (without the coconut) and Knockout Drops, I love and own the latter two but on me they just don't smell good blended together. This has the most beautiful label too so it adds to the disappointment. The happy news is that this is already on it's way to a loving home.

Edited by cfrancesca

Lady Amalthea - This smells like a soapy floral, and once it goes on my skin, it turns 100% entirely soapy. It smells like strong laundry detergent, and I can't smell any of the notes over the soap, which amps to high heaven on my skin. :(

The most surprising thing about Lady Amalthea to me was the white mint- this isn't the strong mint I'm used to with scents like Shattered. Instead, it's very subtle, to the point where my nose is interpreting it almost as fizzy instead of minty. With the white chocolate, when I first apply this to my skin, it kinda reminds me of cream soda as a result for a short while.

The tuberose is the most prominent note for me while this is wet. The combination of lilac and wisteria with tuberose is a little strange to my nose, but it evokes an ethereal effect. The musk, mint, and white chocolate are in the background, adding to the effect. There's less tuberose and mostly white chocolate as it dries, creating a faintly sweet and slightly wintry creamy cloud of scent.

I was very excited to try this one- I had no idea whether it would work or not. I love tuberose and white musk but usually foody notes are not so great on me and I wasn't sure about the lilac and wisteria.

In the bottle- a pale mint, like mint chocolate chip ice cream.

first minute or two- sharp, vaguely floral mint. Pretty!

after the scent warms up on my skin it begins to morph. Somehow, there is something delicate and herbal about this scent. The florals are there but soft, almost watery. I definitely agree that this is a winter musk- it's like a bright winter afternoon in the forest. I can start to pick out the tuberose.

oh, ok here come the lilac and wisteria. All of a sudden there are ghostly purple floral notes. This is very ethereal, wispy, like a glowing purple phantom in the snow. I agree with the other reviewer that called this waxy, there is something waxy somehow in the scent as well. I feel that this has a pretty large throw and lasts quite some time. After I slept on this scent overnight I could smell it powerfully around me in the morning, not just on my arm but the glowing purple ghost smell in the air.

I like it! I am keeping this and getting a backup bottle. It's definitely a mood scent, and I am feeling melancholy these days so it fits.

This is truly Lady Amalthea, and much more like what I hoped the last unicorn would smell like (that one turned all swampy oakmoss and overpowering candy-sickly sweet on me.) This is a masterpiece, an elegant, sorrowful, ghostly creature.

:wub2: :joy: :wub2:

I absolutely adore this scent!!!! Everything about it. So perfect. WOW.

All of the Last Unicorn scents have been incredibly accurate up to this point, but Lady Amalthea absolutely blew me away. It most closely resembles Sleepy Moon and aged Juliet, my BPAL holy grail perfumes. And, more importantly, it magnificently captures the spirit of Lady Amalthea. Innocent and wise, naive and ancient, achingly beautiful.

A lightly soapy yet creamy floral, smoothed out by the soft white musk and a hint of white chocolate, and a violin-string cool white mint at the outset that quiets into a fresh, graceful whisper. I especially love how the tuberose is not permitted to scream like a banshee and ruin the scent, it is truly just a component and the wisteria balances it out perfectly. All three floral notes are typically loud and dominant, but together they harmonize so pleasantly, and in the presence of the musk and mint the overall fragrance is a swirl of pure magic.

Outstanding.

Thank you, Beth. You truly have outdone yourself this time.

In the imp, this smelled like an airy, bouncy tuberose covered in mint. Very pleasant and feminine; maybe a little ethereal.

Wet on my skin, I get the lilacs and tuberose with the nice mint note pulling them together. The white musk is minimal at this point, and I only get the faintest impression of white chocolate.

When dry, this scent is a pretty minty musk on me. Fairly foody at this point.

I really like this one overall, and it lasts a wonderfully long time. The only thing I have to say is that I had unusually vivid nightmares when I tried wearing this to sleep, and I hope the notes in the perfume didn't trigger that.

In tester: oh, wow. Luminous soft mint, soft florals, and sweet creamy white chocolate that isn't entirely too foody. Oh my gosh. Love.

Wet on skin: LOVE. Light mint, chocolate, and florals. They are not specifically distinct from each other--it is very, very well blended--but if you look at the note and sniff, you can get a hint of that note. Very, very pretty. I am in LOVE. ABSOLUTE LOVE. HEAVEN. This is like...like...floral Snowblind. I LOVE this.

Dry: softly powdery, but stays true to the scent and doesn't really morph. Cool, almost crisp, but very soft. Definitely a scent perfect for Lady Amalthea. Luminous, ladylike, a touch of sadness, but light and ethereal. I was worried that the powder would soon overwhelm everything, but the quality hasn't changed after a good while on my skin, aside from a feeling of even more softness, almost waning, like nightfall. Pleasantly powdery with floral and chocolate undertones.

Verdict: I am in love. Definitely worthy of a bottle.

I want to love this...I really, really do. But I just can't. While the floral and mint are lovely, my body has decided that white chocolate should smell like cola. So now, instead of a lovely minty bouquet, I get the occasional whiff of cheap, discount, store brand cola. Meh.

Horribly disappointed here. :cry2:

I tested Amalthea at Dark Delicacies and got a creamy, almost chai tea impression from it (I didn't know what notes were in it at that time). Since I love creamy spice and chai, I thought this was a must-have and stuck it in with my Weenie order! icon_biggrin.gif

In Bottle: A wet, complex floral. I really only pick up a little mint (though it's probably contributing to the aquatic I'm getting) and no chocolate whatsoever. It's much sharper and more floral than I recall it when I sniffed it at DD-- but this bottle just arrived yesterday, so it might still be "stressed!"

Wet: Mint! Minty floral, all the way. After a second the white chocolate starts to meld with the mint and the musk seems to be trying to pull everyone else together. After a bit the musk begins to become more prominent for a while. This is definitely a very shifty scent for me!

Drydown: Minty white musk with subdued floral (probably tuberose? I'm not good at floral notes!). White chocolate stays nicely in the background, lending a bit of creaminess and pulling the other notes together. It's still quite sharp. After a while of settling on my skin the chocolate comes out a bit more; it smells like opening a packet of white chocolate hot cocoa, flanked by soft florals. Mint dies down a lot.

Verdict: I can start to see where the "chai" impression was coming out for me when I tested this-- it's the white chocolate and mint melded together, don't ask me why it was chai-ish to me... must've been more like a chai latte! :) I'm going to give it some time to rest and see how it settles down. So far, I do like it, even just as it is, but I bet it'll be better once it ages a little as long as the florals stay nice and quiet.

I was afraid that this would be similar to The Last Unicorn, which is absolutely awful on me, but this is more like Waltz of the Snowflakes (or Snow White) with tons of pink lilac and a hint of the sweet soap bubbles from Gossamer.

This smells intensely sweet and *PINK* to me, like candied pink flowers whipped into a vanilla & snow milkshake, topped off with a froth of soap bubbles and a sprig of mint.

Super-sweet, but also clean and frosty. The drydown smells deliciously sweet and vanilla-y on my skin.

Lady Amalthea is one of my favorites in The Last Unicorn lineup. I'd recommend it if you like vanilla type scents or lilac.

In vial: Oh my. Minty latex?

Wet: Ah, there are the florals. Fluffy! Poofy! Purple!

Dry: I was a little overwhelmed at first, but the tuberose is overshadowing the lilac and wisteria now, thank goodness. It is a light scent but not insubstantial. I get the smallest sliver of white chocolate, and now the mint is well-blended, not noticeable except as a small upshot from the winter musk.

Verdict: I love the smell of wisteria growing outdoors, but not so much in perfume. It has a willowy, ethereal feeling to it here. I might use this as a room scent, but it's not something I would wear.

In the vial: Minty. Some floral and musk, but mostly minty.

On skin, wet: Still mainly minty, with a bit of musk.

On skin, dry: Musk gets stronger, but the mint is still very much present.

After an hour: Musk, with a mint background. Florals faded very fast, never did get any chocolate.

Winter starlight.

In the bottle, it smells like chocolate mint with a slight floral kiss, and wet on my skin, the white chocolate just jumped out at me.

Once dry, the tuberose and lilac came in to join with the mint, and after about half an hour, it all softened to a clear, crisp herby-floral, ethereal musk.

I am in love with this perfume.

WISTERIA, tuberose, lilac and a hint of mint. Would be deliciously a nice floral lilac blend if it wasn't for wisteria being such a bully.

BOO on the wisteria.

Tester from forumite.

This is pretty much all floral on me. Not traditional floral by any means. I get a bit of that over-ripe tiger lily scent. As usual, my skin absorbs the mint immediately. Boo. There is faint chocolate underneath. Nice inversion of the last unicorn scent, but not nice enough to warrant a bottle.

Sniffed: Pale, cold mint grounded in very faint white chocolate and musk.

On skin: Much to my chagrin, the MINTzilla appears with a vengeance in Lady Amalthea, dominating and drowning out all the other notes. The most assertive of the non-mint notes is white chocolate, which manifests as a lighter version of BPAL's milk and dark choc notes; like them, it doesn't give a chocolate smell per se, as infuse and embellish the other notes with a chocolate vibe. (Watch me use "chocolate" four times in one sentence! :lol:) The cold mentholic edge burns off over time, and perhaps I can smell a whiff of white musk and delicate florals, but Lady Amalthea ultimately smells minty through and through; even the lovely white chocolate was not enough to keep it in check. Colour impression is pure white touched with the lightest of minty green.

Verdict: I love The Last Unicorn and was looking forward to testing the Lab's interpretation of Lady Amalthea... so I'm rather chagrined by this outcome! Sigh, yet another casualty of the MINTzilla.

This was an imp with the 3rd horn imp pack. Overall, I have loved The Last Unicorn scents and think they are an amazing scent interpretation of the story. Very few misses for me in the entire collection.

In the imp: Extraordinarily lovely floral scent. The lilac and wisteria really pop right away, cool and creamy. Usually, my husband hates most florals except rose with a passion, but when we were sniffing the imp together, he said, "Mmmmmm. Like walking outside!" We have wisteria banks abutting our property and get a blast from it every spring. So that was very promising.

Wet: Wow. This stage is difficult to describe. It's cool and grassy, like bruised stems, with a soft wash of tuberose and just a touch of lilac. I really do get the strong impression of vegetation under snow, and it's the exact same cool quality I get from The Last Unicorn minus the lettuce and coconut.

Dry down: It smells beautiful, but it made me cry. There's something very sweetly sorrowful about this blend. I can't put my finger on it, and it's very rare a scent alone will literally move me to tears without a strong memory association to go with it. The fresh greenery disappears, and all three floral notes share the limelight remarkably well together. There's a definite creaminess now that I'm assuming is the white chocolate. It's not really chocolaty, just an underlying soft, mint touched creaminess. I feel as though I may be too old for this scent. I would expect it on a girl in her late teens to mid-twenties, not that it's immature or child-like, just that there's a sense of freshness and youth to this that isn't really me at this stage in my life. It has a very low throw and fades considerably within just 3 hours or so. I think it's a wonderful interpretation of the character and the way it seems to suggest without being a clone of The Last Unicorn is genius.

This made up for every disappointment from Prince Lir. I adore the actual Lady Amalthea so I was desperately hoping her scent would work for me. I love the notes in it but that's never a guarantee. At first it's lilac and mint, which smells ethereal and beautiful, just like the lady herself. As it warms, the mint disappears as it so often does on me and I'm left with soft lilac and a distinct creaminess from the white chocolate. A very wispy hint of the white musk. Perfection. I will need backups and backups.

On me, Lady Amalthea starts out very minty - much more minty than I was expecting. I can detect a bit of musk in there and the white chocolate. It is a very white, icy scent. Quite delicate and pretty but colder than what I thought it would be. I was expecting the florals to be more dominant but they are definately staying in the background here.

As it dries down the mint starts to settle down a bit but Lady Amalthea never loses it's icy, coolness. The other main notes I can smell are the musk and white chocolate - there is the slightest hint of florals.

I like Lady Amalthea but it was a much colder scent than I was expecting, it brings to mind iamges of an icy landscape.

Ohhh my gosh. I bought a bottle of this last year and had a nightmarish first wear. I slathered it on before work - at the time I worked at a dog daycare that was not air conditioned and had an outdoor area directly off of the main dog area. It was a particularly hot summer. By the end of the day I had the worst headache and the perfume was a cloying, pulsing monster that was just sweetening my brain to death.

But lately I've been re-reading Last Unicorn scent descriptions and trying to choose one of the three samplers to order. I just couldn't understand how that nightmare of a smell I experienced could possibly have come from something with Lady A's description. So last night I put some on my inner elbows (I already had the remnants of something on my wrists) about an hour before bed.

WOW am I ever glad I dug this Lady out of the swap pile! It is misty, cool, purple mint. It is just gorgeous. Light and soft but gently wafting. It is so perfectly evocative of the character and it's just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I think it should actually be great in the summer when I won't be outside as much as I was that first day, as it's so cool and soft. It will also be magical on very snowy days. I can't wait to make up for lost time with this beaut! :wub2:

I caught the mint and lilac in the bottle, but as soon as it hit my skin, it was -ALL- wisteria and tuberose. Florals and I don't always get along, and in this case, it was a monumental failure.

As pretty as it might smell on others, I just can't wear it: I have a full bottle up for trade.