Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Antiqued amber, cumin, saffron, frankincense, Atlas cedar, myrrh, mandarin, Ceylon cinnamon bark, and osmanthus.

I just got this yesterday and need to test some more but for now Super Love. It smells rather smokey to me... like nicotine not smoke smoke. I couldn't stop huffing it. I kept putting it under the Flames nose and he said it was too sweet and then okay it is growing on me {probably to keep my wrist out of his face judging by tone} but I loves it. I want more. I do hope I will be able to order some in a couple of weeks. I know it is not supposed to be live at this point but the lab kindly respected my order for it. If I can't be getting it from the lab I suspect I will be combing the sales pages. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

sweet, smoky, spicy, creamy goodness all the way.. some lightness from the occasional whiffs or orange or tangerine. I see somebody else said 3 Gorgons and yeah I guess so but 3 Gorgons, which I only tested once and am considering as a summer time scent, is nowhere near as nice.

Pallas Athene

On: Spices and wood with incense. Really lovely and not as "hot" (from the cinnamon bark) as I feared.

1 hour in: Mostly cedar. Boo.

11.5 hours: This is just a soft, sweet scent on me.

Overall: This is nice on me, but nothing spectacular.

Somehow, I completely missed this update last summer. :think: Thankfully I was able to get imps of Pallas Athene and Hygeia from a lovely forumite.

In the imp, the spice and wood notes are the strongest, with the resins hanging out in the background. Once the scent settles on my skin, the resins become the most prominent notes and stay in the forefront for rest of the day. Pallas Athene is a soft scent despite this, reappearing gently throughout the day.

This is the first scent that leaves me slightly unsettled for some reason. No idea why, and that won't stop me from wearing - it's just too beautiful.

This is spicy on my skin when wet, but thankfully not in a red-hots candy way. The rich, golden amber is warmed by the cinnamon bark and cumin. The myrrh, cedar and frankincense rise and fall back as it dries, and the mandarin and osmanthus are subtle but very present, and they don't seem to fade as time passes. I haven't had success with other saffron blends, but I don't really detect it in this one. The throw is very good, which I love, and the scent doesn't seem to morph much after the wet stage-- at least on my skin.

To me, Pallas Athene says "I'm sexy, but pretty much out of your league." And for better or worse, that's exactly what you want to communicate sometimes.

rolleyes.gif

It smells completely different from anything else that I've tried, and I'm very glad to have a bit in my stash.

Edited by Indig0

I really like this one. Out of the imp its spicy and sharp. Wet on skin the amber emerges. Its slightly powdery (which amber always is on my skin anyhow) But not baby powder. It has a slight perfumey quality to it. I asked my husband to sniff my wrist and in his words it was "sophisticated" LOL. Dry on skin it smells of incense. And I LOVE incense. I get the cinnamon but its not foody and it plays nicely. Just adds to the spiciness of it. But every once in a while I get that hint of something sharp. Its not unpleasant. I think it is probably the Cedar. I will use up my imp for sure. Probably won't hunt down a bottle because there are other incense blends I prefer over this one. But I got a message from my husband later in the day that said after he hugged me this morning before I left to work that Pallas Athene was still lingering on him and he really liked it :)

In bottle: sweet powdery insense, with amber as the strongest note. Osmanthus, cedar, and mandarin support the amber, while cumin, saffron, and cinnamon form a second faction that twines with and comments on the central Amber faction. Frankincense and myrrh form a sort of background wash. This is absolutely gorgeous, but there is no chance of it working on my skin, to my great regret.

This is so incredibly well-blended. I get a mostly creamy yet slightly powdery amber. I honestly can't pick out the other notes and if there wasn't that distinctive powdery note, I wouldn't have recognized the amber either. It's truly lovely and very complex. It becomes somewhat perfumey upon drydown. It has a very elegant feel to it. It's beautiful but I don't think it's something I would wear.

Almost candy-ish but not in an overwhelming way. Cinnamon + sweetened mandarin is reading as some sort of chewy orange tart.

The resins are pretty understated but there's a soft incense vibe behind the top two notes.

I get warm, sweet, spiced citrus. This isn't working in my favor this time around; was hoping for something less foody and more sexy a la the wonder that is Kagema.

Athene ends up too Yankee Candle/Bath & Bodyworks "spiced orange" body spray. Unfortunately, counter to most people's experiences it seems, this comes off as cheap and childish on me.

Imp : Gritty, dark, dirty citrus

Skin initial: incensed honey

Skin drydown: Citrus cinnamon-spice honey. Really low throw, I gotta shove my nose into my skin sadly. The honey is going a bit... wonk on me. I would say there's cream in this going sour. Then after a little more time, it flips a switch and goes floral-esq powdery to me. I think the amber kicks in and brings some of the other notes with it.

Verdict: Low-throw spiced citrus musk, that fades quickly into a floral-amber haze.

Pallas Athene is perfect both for the goddess herself and for the Klimt painting. I get a rich, golden amber as the principal note, backed up by saffron, gentle cedar and resins, a hint of citrus. I don't actually get any cinnamon at all, and not enough cumin to worry about. Beautiful, strong, glowing. It doesn't last long on my skin, unfortunately.

ETA Gustav Klimt, Pallas Athene, 1898 Historical Museum of the City of Vienna

cff27bd51e94e5332f1bde7bff93fdd4.jpg

Edited by Lucchesa

Well, 10 years on and this bottle is still going strong.  It has aged nicely: a deep, spiced amber (though the orange note has vanished).  It's got heft - I can smell it after 24 hours on my skin.