Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This is for the Shill prototype from the Cobwebby event.

I really get the salt note in this prototype - its aquatic salty with a hint of popcorn. The released version was heavier in the butter and popcorn. This one is light and salty.

This is a prototype of Shill, originally from Carnival Noir.

I received a bottle of Shill VI hoping it would be close to the original. However, there are significant differences, which I will attempt to enumerate here.

In bottle: When you *first* open the bottle and sniff, in that moment, you THINK it's going to be the same as original Shill, and you say to yourself, "Oh YES! Thank the powers that be! It's my beautiful, beautiful Shill!"

But that's only for a second: there is that sort of oily "movie theatre butter" kind of popcorn scent -- just a whiff. However, there is an almost fruity/boozy note there, making it almost like kettle corn -- a sweet smell. VERY vague, but there. You do smell the buttery popcorn -- it's there, but quite a bit less strong than original Shill.

The more you sniff it, the less it smells like popcorn!

Wet on skin: Now, this is really strange: on my skin, there's almost a FLORAL note to it. Not rose .. something heavier, like maybe magnolia but not as sweet. There's a faint scent of that "movie theatre butter," but it's extremely subtle. Then, that faint scent is totally gone!

Drydown: After drydown, it's all that very mellow, somewhat heavy (not heavy as in strong-scented -- it's very subtle -- but heavy like the opposite of sharp -- maybe I mean smooth?) floral. No popcorn, butter, or anything like original Shill at all.

It's kind of strange, actually. It's actually hard to smell anything at all in the bottle sometimes! I'll sniff and ... nothing. Shake the bottle just a tad and ... nothing. And the scent on my skin is extremely elusive. It's nice, I don't hate it, but I don't LOVE it like I love original Shill.

Summary: If you have tried the original Shill, but have NOT tried the prototype, DON'T think you're getting something close to the original. You'll have a very, VERY vague sense of the buttery popcorn scent of original Shill, but it's almost so faint as to be nonexistent.

If you have tried "War" from the Neil Gaiman "Good Omens" series, here's an analogy for you. War is somewhat like original Shill made super-strong and radioactive with power. Shill VI is on the opposite end of the Strong -> Subtle spectrum from War: like Shill made very faint and weak.

So: War -> Original Shill -> Shill VI .

In Conclusion: I love original Shill. I don't hate Shill VI. But if what you really want is Shill, DO NOT confuse the two. Also, if you hate florals, you will not like Shill VI, IMHO.

I don't get any popcorn from this, oddly. Shill v1 doesn't smell like much in the decant vial and then has a light, clean, perfumey floral smell on my skin. Sort of a soapy white floral scent, but very light and doesn't last long.

Shill v 1 proto

In the bottle: movie theatre butter

wet: buttery butter, maybe popcorn

drying: caramel popcorn

30 minutes later: WTF--someone took my popcorn and left some violets in its place.

drydown: violet hand lotion with a hint of vanilla

final thoughts: wish I could keep the wet phase, loved it. i don't hate the floral hand lotion phase, I just want my damn popcorn back. maybe a scent locket? I will try that and report back if successful.