Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

VAMP.GOTH
Rose-infused opium tar and leather.

This was almost exactly like Clermont on my skin. Same sharp soapy rose overpowering the opium tar and no leather to be found. I think a little aging would do this one good, but I'm not sure it could over come my skin chemistry.

Alas this is not for me. It goes from being a fresh clean rose when wet to a dirty, rose covered ashtray. :(

I find this a dark, sexy, smokey, spicy rose and leather blend. The smokey opium and leather stay strong for a while, but eventually the spicy rose amps on my skin.

A very warm thank you thank you to my Angel, Gypsy Rose Red for making all my Bat's Day wishes come true this year! :kiss:

This was the '11 Goth scent I was most excited about, because I love the BPAL Rose notes a LOT. Here's hoping!

*fingers crossed*

In The Bottle: A "green" sort of rose, like one that has not fully bloomed yet but is still mostly in it's bud, so the hint of rose is there, but mostly it's the stem that is fragrant. Maybe a touch, just a slight touch of the opium. But mostly that green/rose note.

Wet On Skin: The rose is starting to bloom :smile: I'm also getting a little bit more of the opium undercurrent. But it's really subtle, not the in your face stuff I'm used to with that note.

Dry Down: Wow. This is a great, solid rose perfume. It's dark and rich, but definitely still rose. I get little to no leather in here, unless it's just lending it's spice to the general undertone of the blend. And the opium is still there, but still only in the background. This is a dark blend, but not sinister. and not necessarily sexy, either. Rich and warm to be sure, but still a rose at heart.

In All: Low to medium throw, this is a perfect counterpoint to something like Victorian Rose Milk, which, for the record, is my favorite Rose scent ever. Vamp.goth feels like the shadow side to that scent, though. As much as i love Rose Milk, sometimes she seems too light for how I'm feeling. This one allows me to indulge my love of Rose but still go to dark depths. A great Goth Rose.

:luv2:

Am I smelling the same perfume? I get a ton of leather, a touch of opium and almost no rose at all. I think this one might need to settle so that the astringent edge comes off the leather note.

ETA: On second wearing, this is more rosy, less astringent. It is a dark and evil rose. I am not a huge fan of rose scents, but I've been getting into them more lately if they are grounded by something else. I think that the opium here ground the rose nicely so that it does not overwhelm. Definitely a sexy, grown up scent.

Edited by Ellebelle

Vamp.Goth - This sounded so yummy -- I love rose, opium, and leather. However, all I smell is a deep, spicy rose that's a bit dry, almost frankincensey. No opium or leather to speak of. It's nice, but I have other rose blends I like more.

I took a chance on this bottle, because leather hates my skin. I figured I'd give it a shot because I love rose and resins together. It smells like dark roses in the bottle, and dark roses and opium tar on my skin. The leather is behaving itself, and surprisingly gives this blend a "sophisticated perfume" smell. The final dry down is a mildly sweet black rose with opium. It's beautiful, but it doesn't beat my favorite bpal rose Spellbound.

Spicy kick ass rose that is a bit juicy. :blink: The leather is barely there....but the opium tar and rose remain ever vigilant. This will be wonderful aged. It is just deliciously dark spicy rose.....I imagine that this is what Cruella De Ville smells like. :twisted: Instant win! :joy:

Evil rose! I get the rose and something underlying it, probably the opium, but it's not dark or resinous as other opium blends are sometimes on me. Just a dark kind of rose scent that reminds me of something like Peacock Queen with a different depth to it.

Dark rose that is sort of sweet. The opium is strong in this and lends a very dark, almost smoldering effect and is definitely the main show. Leather is soft yet black and in the background.

Sniff: Yup, there's rose. Not at all dewy or fresh, but a dirty, smoky rose.

Wet: Dark, black rose, with cigarettes wafting in the background. I can't detect any leather at all.

Dry: Dries to a powdery rose that is just a bit soapy and simmers.

While this is a nice dark rose blend, there are others I prefer. The aforementioned Spellbound comes to mind, as do London, Phantom, Blasphemare Reliquary, and Whip.

At first, the rose on my skin becomes very similar to that contained in Whip, then progresses to a rose in "Quel Amour" from AG, fruity and juicy. And finally ( after six or seven hours of application) the rose which appears is of "Aromatics Elixir" by Clinique, more velvety and powdery. I find it so fascinating this evolution of the rose, in addition to these three are the perfumes of roses I love most, apart from "Rose Unity " scents by BPTP.

Really nice. wub2.gif thud.gif

this is a spicy, dusky rose supported by a resin-y or incensy background, which i guess is opium. the leather is there, but it's subtle on my skin, and seems to fade as the seconds pass. i was worried about this one, because i can do rose and leather, but whip did not work for me, and often BPAL's opium/poppy note turns sour on my skin. thankfully, the blend here works just fine, i get a dark, musky rose that's kind of soft, actually, though initially the rose is a bit of a greener, sharper rose. very pretty!

Edited by theseagrows

Maybe I got a weird bottle of this, but in the bottle and on my skin this is a creamy, subtle, light but deep rose with a hint of dark spice and the barest wisp of leather (which I can't always smell).

Rose-dominant blends have historically hated me--I can't wear Rose Red, Whip, or London (heartbreaking, as it's my favourite city in the world) at all. I usually only do well with blends like Queen of Clubs or the Post roses (white rose, red rose) where there's a bit of rose but it's not the star of the show. Shockingly, this is lovely on me. The rose I get is deep, but very light. This is not a strong scent on me at all, just enough to smell if you hug me, or I reach over you, or turn my head. If I didn't know there was leather in there, I would never have known it was there at all. Just creamy roses with a dark spice underneath adding enough depth to keep this from being too simple a blend. I can't wait until my Lab order comes in the mail, I would love to layer this with Neutral. I can imagine adding skin musk to this would be mind-blowing.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this ages!

Rose is super-strong on me, and the rose here amps up and drowns out the other notes. I don't get any leather from this, and the opium isn't as strong and sharp as it usually is on my skin. Vamp.Goth starts off as an almost juicy smelling rose with a sharp smokiness from the opium. As it dries down, it loses its fresh/juicy side and just fades into a perfumey, slightly powdery, dry smelling rose. There are a lot of rose blends that I like more than this one.

So... when it comes to BPAL, rose is not my friend. But I have learned that if it's a dark rose or rose combined with dark notes.. sometimes it will work - Lucy, Kissed being a stand-out example. I figured rose-infused opium tar should be pretty dark, so I gave Vamp.Goth a shot!

This might sound weird, but when I first applied Vamp.Goth it was really sweet - almost like bubblegum kind of sweet. Opium can sometimes go very sweet on my skin, so I guess that's what's going on here.. but it's not a bad thing - it's actually a lovely sweetness. Over time, the sweetness fades as the rose note develops - it never quite becomes ROSE on me though - which is a Very Good Thing.

The opium tar and leather combination is really interesting - the leather never really comes out in full force for me, it's more a background kind of thing. The opium is the star of this show for me, with the rose kinda dancing along the top of the lovely sweet/smoky tone of the opium every now and then.

I agree with previous reviewers - this one is likely to age beautifully.

Rose and I have never really gotten along (except for St Foutin, but I think that's cause of the wine) but this could be something lovely for me.

Like others have mentioned, this is a sweet, juicy, epic rose ~ a magical Beauty and the Beast type of rose.

It's a little heady at first but then something really awesome happens - it doesn't turn to soap on my skin.

It dries to a sweet, simple girly rose that hugs my skin. There's zero leather but the opium blends so lovely with the rose, giving it that kick that keeps it from being awful on me.

I just may have found my first ottle worthy rose blend! :wub2:

ETA: ACK, spoke too soon, it's faded completely away, leaving only an extremely light, barest of rose. I still want to try to find a bottle and age it or wear it in my clocket since it's so damn lovely at first.

Edited by sarandipitee

For me, Vamp.goth is more clean, green rose with a trace of opium - which lends it a trace of smoke, and just the barest hint of leather.

Not my kind of thing.

VampGothSS-Ti.jpg

I love roses, the scent of the scent of them and usually I love any BPAL blend with a strong rose note. But not this one. For some reason, all I get in this really sour decaying sweetness, and it was just too unpleasant. This is not a blend for me, definitely. And this makes me sad, because it means only one of the Bats Day releases (Fetish.Goth) worked for me.

In the bottle: Light rose and light leather. Lovely scent.

Wet: The rose and leather and opium are blending together in a darker scent than sniffed.

The drydown: The leather (and this is a soft sueded leather) is amping a bit, as the rose settles in. The opium is like a heady incense. Yet another candidate for the scent locket, as I really like the sniff of the bottle that I started with. I'm totally surprised that the rose is not amping, but then it is not a dark rose on me, but more like a tea rose. The lighter rose notes tend not to amp on me, which is a good thing, indeed!

Edited by thekittenkat

It's odd to have a scent that mentions rose and not actually smell a lot of rose! I see images of dried, crushed, deep red-almost black rose petals. It's definitely smoky, kinda ashy. This is something I could picture wearing in the dead of winter. Great imagery!

In the bottle: This beauty is so close to my heart that I have had to wait for weeks to review her, to give her justice. Both of these bottles came from sellers who reached out when I needed it the most. In the bottle... This is Raven moon´s sexy, older party sister. When I first took a whiff of this one I knew what a pbal soulmate should be like. This was such a beautiful perfume in the bottle that I started to cry. I´m not a rose person and I am not a leather person. But I do enjoy dark scents. And sniffing on this bottle takes me on a journey to Paris during Fashion Week.

On skin:This scent is such a high for me. I imagine it is to me what Snake charmer is for those who really loves it: A sexy, dark, twisted blend, which makes you feel like a million bucks. I am a candy and fruit kind of girl, but oh my gosh, this is like a temple scent for me. For those sharing my beliefs, the know what it means.

In the decant: Roses, with something almost citrus-like (?).

Wet on skin: ROSE. Rose with leather and a bit of opium.

Dry on skin: A dark, lush, slightly green rose, with the tiny hints of leather and opium.

Final thoughts: I don't dig rose, but I wanted to try to see if the opium and leather (which I love both in reasonable doses) balanced the rose. It doesn't. I should know by now that roses and me just disagree...

Edited by CreamyJade

Warning, a little goes a long way with this one! At first, it is all rose, all the time, kind of sourish. Dry, still rose, but it is a sweet rose now, but I don't get anything like opium or leather here, but maybe it's contributing somehow to the sweetness. This is nice, even though I don't really go for rose blends. I'll use the imp when the mood for rose hits me.