Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

EVIL
Smouldering opium tar, tobacco absolute, green tea, black plum, kush, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, and costus root.

In bottle: Thickly sexy. Opium, ambrette, tobacco, ambergris, and kush combine to make a richly sexual dominant scent. Of these, the kush is comparatively soft. Both the costus and the plum are understated and more accents than scents on their own account. The green tea ties everything together beautifully. Wet: More plum on the skin as it moves to the strongest rant, just under the opium and ambergris. I’d put green tea and tobacco as strong thirds with the rest in support. It’s lovely and a dangerous sort of sexy. Dry: Oh my God! This is gorgeous on the dry down, with a spicy incense sort of feel to it. Opium, tobacco, and kush have the most staying power it turns out, with ambrette, ambergris, and costus maintaining a noticeable presence.

In the imp: Grandma's fancy bathroom soap. On the skin: more of the same. It is a nice soap, but soap nonetheless. I agree with the reviewer up thread - who knew Evil could smell so *clean*?!

In the bottle: I have no idea what I'm smelling, but it reminds me a bit of beer shampoo. I'm guessing it is one of the last four scents listed because I have no idea what they smell like.
On my skin: More of the bottle scent, which is bold and catches the attention. I can now make out a hint of opium underneath. A few minutes later it fades away to make room for something mellower. Opium and...honey? Half an hour later, I smell plum, opium and faint powdery soap. Funnily enough, I also think I can still smell some honey. Who knew evil would smell so sweet? ;)
Drydown: Honey. It reminds me of baklava. Because being evil is such sweet delight. ^^

Well, I'm with those saying this is a surprisingly clean and pleasant scent. Not that evil can't be deceptive, but seriously, this is more like a slightly manipulative advisor rather than the big boss. :P

From the imp I actually worried it might be too overpowering. The tar and root made for a smokey, almost stringent scent. But on it goes the other direction. I smell the plum and tea, keeping this on the juicy side versus dry and spicy. The kush and ambergris combo I really love... it's exotic and I can't say I've smelled anything like it before. Despite the "wetness" of the scent there is still a dry "aftersmell" after you take a whiff, which I believe comes from the ambrette.

To me, this is someone that looks innocent, acts sweet, but is a subtle manipulator. Not truly evil per se, but maybe on the selfish side. I like it but wanted it to be more "rawr."

This is all dark, sticky, plummy smoke that inspires me to imagine lolling on a plum-colored velvet couch in an opium den next to Oscar Wilde. Heady was a term invented for a scent like this. Evil is so substantial it's almost chewy and so strong I'm surprised I didn't feel sick. This is what Opium, the commercial perfume, would like to be but never was. It's almost an entity unto itself - a charismatic villain captured in a perfume vial.

"You won't need much, just a tiny taste," said Oscar Acosta (Benicio Del Toro) in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He wasn't talking about Evil, but he could've been. Hours ago I put a single small dab on one wrist just to test it and it's as if I slathered, so I will never need more than this frimp even if I decide to wear it many times. This scent demands nothing short of your most sophisticated clothes on a special night out.

I feel like this should have worked on me, but it didn't. The opium is the strongest note on me, and unfortunately BPAL's opium note tends to smell like band-aids on me. There's the barest (and I do mean barest) whiff of plum, and something vaguely planty, and the band-aids. The whole thing is a festival of nightmares.

ITB: This reminds me of The Bodyshop's Dewberry scent for some reason, but with a little more soapiness (in a very positive way) and a touch of resin.

Wet: Oh yes! It's dark, rich, foreboding, but powerfully attractive. Of course, I'm in love with ambergris, so that's part of it. However, that note paired with the plum and kush is sweet, while the tobacco and opium tar give it a brooding tone that is simply divine. And talk about significant throw!

Dry: Gosh, this is amazing. Ambergris, tobacco, opium, and plum swirl into a heady mixture that makes me want to swoon. Ack, I need much more of this.

Wet: Oh my, this smells handsome! The notes aren’t clear just yet, but color-wise I’m getting deep, gleaming golds and dusty red-browns and purples.

Drydown: This is clearly the decadent and seductive brand of evil. And expansive bed of dark resins and opium smoke softened by feathery green tea, gilded by bold ambergris, and kissed by luscious plum. Normally I don’t do well with purple fruits like plum, but in this case it’s absolutely magical. Fresh and delectable without being too sweet or cloying.

Dry: This scent is a stunner. Swirls of opium, tobacco, ambergris, and plum, softened by whispers of green tea and kush. Rich, smoky, smooth, androgynous, and somehow slightly fresh. I almost don’t want to try layering it because it smells so darn good on its own!

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the bottle - Smoke and sulphur and old spice

Wet on me - Washing detergent

Dry on me - Clean salty water

Overall - Not really my cup of tea

I'm confused. In the imp, it's kind of pretty and lush. On my skin, it's pure soap for an hour or so. Then it turns into kind of a haughty night out scent worthy of an expensive restaurant.

Then, on the dry down, it's falling leaf moon so basically oakmoss and leaves. (which I really like!) I will update after this ages so it can see what it wants to be.

It makes me think of a teenager, trying to try on different identities. That's the beauty of bpal; no scent is the same on everyone.

I think I can smelt he opium tar, which just, I like it, but I don't like it at the same time. it's weird, but I can really smell all the notes that I know what they smell like. like patchouli, and the opium tar, thought the opium overpowers most of the other scents.

In short: I like it, but not enough to where I would wear it constantly. but if you like the ingrediants listed (Sorry I spelled that wrong), then this is for you.

I sniffed this at NYCC not expecting to like it, but it really grabbed me. In the bottle it smells almost leathery. Like a cozy leather. On me, it becomes peppery and musky. I never really smell plum outright but I think it's there in the background calming all the dryness to this scent and preventing it from making you cough. There's no wood or leather in this but something in it reminds me of an expensive, comfortable couch that you can just sink into. Or a fine, gleaming wooden chest. It's a sparkling scent, but a dark sparkle. If that makes sense. It makes me feel fancy when I have it on. Love!

In the imp: Wet, dark, earthy, and still somehow vaguely smoky.

Wet on my skin: The tobacco, tea, plum, and opium are strongest on me now. Definitely a dark and smoky scent.

Dry: This scent is unmistakably evil, and evil is GOOD. It starts out dark, sweet, and almost juicy along with the smoke. As it dries and wears on my skin, this becomes earthy and dry, the vetiver, seeds, and roots taking hold. The sweetness fades, leaving the deep, dry, rich scents of earth, tobacco, and opium smoke smoothed out with ambergris. It is dense and rich for several hours, and then fades slowly until all that remains is smoke and ash clinging to the skin. Oh, I do believe I'm going to need more of this once my imp is done.

In the imp: Huh, this is the first time I've had a scent go to soap while actually in the imp. There are some dark, smoky notes hanging around, and just a touch of sweetness, but overall, bar soap it is.

Wet: I'm sorry, but the only words I can think of are "soapy root beer." It's sweet and yes, a bit bubbly/effervescent, but the soap is still going strong. I gotta say, I'm more than a bit disappointed. For Evil, I was hoping for something slinky and darkly seductive, and that's what the notes seemed to promise, but in combination, they work out to that one time I spilled a root beer float on myself during a 4th grade field trip and had to wash it off with amusement park soap.

Dry: It gets surprisingly soft surprisingly quickly. To the surprise of nobody, I amp the plum the most, but the tobacco(/opium/kush?) is also keeping things interesting. Still not quite what I think of as "evil", but closer than soapy root beer.

Preconceived notions: None really, I expected it to be resinous because, well, "evil" but I did not look at the notes first. Often vetiver is used to evil things up. I think I was expecting a little brimstone too--sometimes I am a bit too literal

In the imp: Woody, rubbery, fruity wtf? (in hindsight, it is probably the opium tar smelling like rubber, it probably needs to age quite a bit to smell more like the opium tar I like, this is a very new, lab fresh imp)

Wet: Starburst candy-like fruity liquid, smells sweet like a melon slushie, which is probably the green tea (green tea usually goes sweet on me, YMMV) and fresh barely ripe plum--the fruity liquid over a woody background, which is, in retrospect, the tobacco. The woody aspect is quite mellow, not evergreen or hamster cagey. The tobacco is mostly stems and leaves, not tobacco flower or smoke, like fresh plants, not dried.

Drying: Ambergris takes this to a golden, not quite salty place, like amber light plus salt. I would swear there is black musk in this, but no such note listed, perhaps that is the ambrette (I have not smelled single note, but it tends to be musky on me and slightly sweet) marrying with the opium tar and khus (vetiver!) which are slightly smokey.

Drydown: Mostly ambrette, ambergris and plum, musky and slightly sweet, shy of powdery, with a hint of sea salt. Green tea gone.

Verdict: Yeah, evidently I like evil. Vetiver lovers need not fear the Khus, it is really not present in large quantities here and well tempered by the ambrette which keeps it sweet. Initially this is astringent and fruity (like Starbursts if they were liquified--yeah, that is my scent association, but its good, trust me) but dries down into a plummy musk that is a distant relative to Mme. Moriarty (perhaps an evil nephew?) and perhaps, Intrigue (although Intrigue is fig, not plum). If you like Intrigue but want sweet, this is it. If you want a more masculine MME, this could be your jam, no snake oil of course. This is meant for layering so it isn't as in yo face as I would expect of an evil oil. I am going to age this and retest to see if I need a bottle. I find vetiver gets more potent and smoky over time and I imagine the opium tar will get more hazy and resinous as well. I am predicting this will be quite yummy then and can be used to "evil things up," like florals and foodies that need a little oomph.

Edited by sprout

This was a frimp. Not one I would have picked for myself, but those often turn out the best!

Wet - I don't know? I can't really pick out notes, but other than Tobacco, plum and tea (none of which are what I am smelling) I'm not all that familiar with most of the notes in this. Quite masculine though, and a little soapy. Like nice manly shower gel.

Dry - Does eventually sweeten up a bit, and the plum and tea come through. Not bad, by any means, and not really masculine anymore. Just not me though. Still, really glad I got to try it!

Bottle: Opium and something dark and fruity, probably the plum.

Wet: Smoky opium and plum. Once I look for it, I very much smell the tea.

Dry: Tobacco comes out, and then the whole goes salty and leathery, and maybe a bit rubbery.

A chewy scent. Not exciting by itself, except in adherence to concept, but then I'm not an opium person. Goes pretty well with my maroon dress today. :-) It should be fun to mix with other RPG scents as the creator intended.

On my skin this reads like Evil and more Chaotic...not the actual Chaotic blend, but the notes here are so discordant and just generally do not work on me. It starts off with a thick puff of opium and tobacco smoke, then devolves into a funky blend of plum and kush. Every now and then I get a whiff of salt from the ambergris.

Evil doesn't smell bad (ha!) per se, just...WRONG. Which I guess is a kind of evil? /shrug

Soft tobacco. It's mostly sweet, but there's definitely a hint of bitterness. I don't find this to be a smoky tobacco or opium though. This one doesn't seem to change much as it dries -- it's a fairly straightforward scent. Unoffensive, but I have other tobacco scents that I like far better so I don't think I need to hang on to this one.

Wet: Astringent and bitter, like tea that's been steeped too long. Acrid.

Dry: This smells like my bf right after he steps out of the shower; manly, soapy and with a touch of the hemp oil he slathers on in there. There's a reason that I don't touch him until he's finished the rest of his grooming rituals. I hate the smell of his soap and oil, and this is it exactly.

Edited by SunsetKay

I got this imp as a free addition to my order, which was a nice surprise.

Upon first smell, my first impression is that Evil smells... rich. If you were to ask me what wealth smelled like, I'd tell you it smells like this perfume. After putting it on, it smells slightly floral, but deep, retaining that 'rich' scent, but also turning 'old' smelling. You know what image comes to mind here? The Dowager Countess of Grantham from Downton Abbey. I think this perfume is exactly what she would smell like. After a little while, the smell has gotten to the point where it's turning my stomach, so definitely not for me, but worth trying.

Imp: tobacco and tea
Wet on Me: tobacco, tea and soap?
Drying Down: getting this dance of tea and tobacco and opium under my nose
Dry: tobacco soap. I know some RPG and LARP folks who might appreciate this. To the trade Pile!

When first applied, Evil briefly threatens to turn evil, which it to say: diapers. :ugh:

However, the plum soon comes out and saves the day, turning the scent round, purple, and almost fresh. I can definitely smell the plum, without it smelling like plum. (Too bad. I like plum.)

The purple centre is shrouded with swirling dark grey smoke. My evil character would definitely be smoking a pipe, right now.

I get quite a lot of opium, and something that reminds me of leather.

Overall, it makes an incency impression, and it is fresh and smoky at the same time.

Verdict: interesting and nice, but a tad too incensy for me, as I tend to amp opium.

Something for occational use, perhaps. I might keep the imp...

In the imp: I get lots of the opium, followed by the tobacco, green tea, and a little black plum.

Wet: I’m hit with a blast of opium, tobacco, and some bright, green tea. After a few minutes, the black plum emerges, but it isn’t as strong as the opium, tobacco, and green tea at the moment.

Dry: The opium tar has calmed down somewhat, the black plum note has increased in strength, and I get the ambergris now. The tobacco is still present, and so is the green tea. After a while, the khus emerges, and after a few hours, it’s the heavier notes that reign.

Verdict: Evil is not a scent that I’d wear on its own. The plum ends up being a little too strong for me in the end. But I am going to hang on to my imp and try pairing it with RPGs.

Holly Balls!

On my skin this is a soapy aldehydic blend and OMG, it gives me Chanel No.5 vibes, i kid you not!

The opening is a full on aldehydic heaven with some chypre green nuances and feels like a vintage discontinued perfume extrait. The drydown is a mellow and plush clean scent with some powder around the edges. Totally unexpected and amazing!