Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

GOOD
Shimmering celestial musk with vanilla, white honey, acacia, and sugar cane.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

This isn't my usual kind of scent. Not by a long shot. But something about it sounded so pretty that I had to order a bottle anyway. The only thing here that actually worries me is the acacia, because I'm not a floral fan. The other notes should be okay, although they're not the sort of thing I normally gravitate towards.

First sniff:

I can't really pick out the notes in the bottle. I just get a general impression of a pale, sweet, delicate scent. Very feminine and pretty.

Wet on skin:

Soft, gentle honey with a touch of vanilla and musk. I can definitely see this being what "good" would smell like.

Dry down:

Soft white honey. It's not the heavier honey note that is in so many of the Lab's scent. This is a very light, delicate, ethereal honey.

The bottom line:

Good is fairly one-dimensional on me once it dries (which isn't really a drawback since the RPG scents were meant to be layered), but it's pretty all the same. I like this. It's not the sort of thing I'd wear every day but it will get worn. I can see this being one of the more popular RPG scents.

in the bottle: This is a sweet, slightly musky scent. It's not the sweetness of food, or sugar.

wet on skin: It smells the same on my skin as it does in the bottle. Not much morphing. It's soft, almost feminine, and very clean smelling.

drydown: I start getting a slightly powdery feeling from it, but it doesn't quite cross that line, just toes it a little. It doesn't seem to be morphing much at all. Still a sweet musk, soft and light.

overall: I really like this scent for it's simple soft cleanness. It's also nice to know I can wear white honey without it turning into the scent of unclean nether regions like the honey in O does. I did layer Paladin, Elf, and Good. The musk does overpower me in that combination at first, but after a while it tones down nicely.

Light stinky floral something is in this. Plus vanilla. But whatever is turning floral on my skin is taking over the vanilla. PASS. Guess I am not meant to be good after all....;) :twisted:

Something in here goes to almost powder on me, but I can still smell the acacia and vanilla (which are nice). I can tell there is musk here, but I'm not familiar enough with "shimmering celestial musk" to pick it out of the blend. I don't smell honey or sugar cane. Honey doesn't usually work on my skin so I guess that's a plus. Sugar cane is a favorite, and I am hoping it will come out with some age. Good reminds me of another perfume oil, but I can't remember which one. :blush: "Good" stuff. :lol:

One of the hardest things about getting a new package from BPAL is deciding what to try first. I decided to start with the RPGs, then narrowed it further to the alignments, and finally picked Good to go first. It was a good choice.

In the imp: Soapy. A little sweet, but mostly what I get is soap.

Wet: Still soapy, a little sweet, a little vanilla.

20 minutes in: Musk is starting to come out, deepen and ground it a little more. And thankfully, the soap has faded away.

Dry: Hasn't changed much more. This is a very clean scent. Whiffs of vanilla and musk.

Overall: Sticks close to the skin. Not very complex, which is helpful for layering. I don't know that it'll be my first choice, at least not on its own, but I like it.

I get ACACIA, with a little sugar on the side. Slightly powdery, with very faint musk in the background, and ACACIA!!!! in the foreground.

I mixed this with a bit of Paladin - OH WoW! :yum: (see what I did there?) Very nice! :yum:

Edited by loverstreet

I feel neutral about Good. It's okay. And I realize it's meant to be layered, and I'm sure it's great in combination with other oils. On its own, though... it's a pale, quiet vanilla musk. It's something I'd let my 6 year old wear, but not something I'd choose to wear by itself. I'll have to try to collect some other RPG oils as my budget allows and test out some combinations.

In the imp: A very sweet white floral. I know it's not a listed note, but it reminds me a LOT of magnolia, which I love in imps but on me goes sickeningly sweet and funerary.

Wet: Uber crazy floral, sickeningly sweet and almost ramping into headache territory. I was strongly tempted at that point to wash it off, but I waited.

Dry down: Whew. Some of that really scary floral backed off a little. The honey scent is a very true honey scent, not sex, not sugar, but clean, light honey. The musk is very light, but the floral is still the most dominant note. It still smells like magnolia to me, like the magnolia of Hell's Belle or Black Dahlia, minus the funerary note.

I'll try this one for layering. On its own, it's way too high floral for my tastes. The throw is positively obnoxious, too.

Soft, sweet, slightly musky, and smooth. Exactly the sort of thing I like.

One of my favorites of the RPG series. I want to try it with Half-Elf and see how that goes.

Good is aptly named, because it is fantastic. It's not my usual type of scent, but I love it. I actually don't smell a single floral note in the imp or on skin, nor any trace of vanilla. Luckily, nothing goes powdery.

I get a lot of honey, but it's an unusually complex honey-- it's both clear/crisp/crystalline and delicately foody/herbal. The musk is positively glittery-- a bit of pale musk, a bit of skin musk, a bit of sparkle. I get some blonde wood notes as well, but not polished, cologney wood... natural, sweetly green, sap-filled wood. Everything's got a dusting of raw sugar over it, but it's somehow still not overly sweet. The overall effect pretty much smells like heaven, which is appropriate. I could definitely layer this and happily make all my characters good. Definite bottle.

I was worried that this would be sickly sweet, but I love vanilla and sugar, so I snagged a bottle anyhow. And this is lovely and not at all cloying on me ^_^ the musk really cuts through the sweetness (and smells like a mix of clean bubble soap, powder, and orchids on me) and I get lots of fluffy vanilla sugar and a hint of honey. Good smells both clean and sweet on me, which I think is perfect for a good fragrance. I'll happily wear this on its own as well as layer it with other blends.

Very pretty--musky vanilla with fresh honey and a bit of fruitiness. This sounds like it could be ridiculously sweet, but it's a subtle, close-to-the-skin scent on me. Nice!

In the vial: Very sweet, white and... wow, that is the most prominent acacia I have ever smelled in a perfume.

On: The combination of honey and vanilla turns rather pastry-ish on me, which not a good thing in my book... the acacia retreats, as well. Strike 2. Also... what is that soapy edge?

Okay, I'll give it more time, but I have the feeling this isn't going to work out. Oh well, I already determined I was an Evil girl, all the way, anyway :twisted:

Later: Overly sweet honey soap. Ick ick ick. Good's just no good for me.

In the Bottle: Sweet, floral, and slightly medicinal to me.

Wet: Light, sweet, and just a little floral. It's a touch soapy as well, but not in a bad way.

Drydown: The honey starts to come through more, but that floral keeps ticking away. The vanilla shows up after a few minutes and softens the floral.

Dry: Sweet, honeyed floral that reminds me of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale or Prague but with a bit less of a fruity sweetness and more of a warm sweetness.

Again, this seems really nice for layering and I look forward to trying it out with Halfling.

In vial: Sweet, light.

Wet: White honey, syrupy thin and flecked with specks of vanilla.

Dry: A wafting cloud of acacia & fluffy vanilla musk, dusted with powdery sugar cane.

Verdict: It sounds like this would be unbearably sweet, but it is not tooth-aching in the least! I had to jog my memory about acacia- it's that African tree, you know the one- turns out it's used to make incense. I don't know if that's what's in here, or the acacia blossoms- but I was thrilled to be able to smell a clean, light, light, light smokiness in the blend. It could be mistaken for powder because it is a great deal lighter/sweeter than any other incense blend I've smelled. I feel like an angel would naturally be surrounded by this scent. Cue hallelujah chorus!

Good is pretty and very, very good.

Soft, fluffy, sweet, white, and clean. It's very wearable alone, unlike some of the other RPGs, although it would definitely bring a pale sweetness to any blend it was layered with. It manages to not be overly sweet, and ends up drying to a very wearable gentle skin scent.

Good is sharp, powdery, and sweet. I like Dark Alice's description in that it is a soft, sweet powdery floral.

Not sure if I'll like it mixed in with other things...

Musky sweet honey, a little bit floral. I used to think honey was one of my death notes, but Elf also had honey (well, honeycomb :P ) in it and that one worked on me too. I like this one a lot more than I thought I would. Very pretty and pleasant! I'd gladly wear this by itself. I wish it had more vanilla though.

In bottle: This is very gentle and sweet with the pale musk, vanilla, honey, and sugar forming a block, with an understated acacia playing about the edges. The musk is vaguely dominant, but really, it's a matter of accent in the block. Wet: A lot more acacia. The honey emerges as the leader within its block, but really they do work together. I'm not sure I like the acacia with this group of soft pale scents. It's too bold a contrast for me, but your tastes may be different. Dry: Really pretty on the dry down, a sweet vanilla musk with touches of the other elements.

Edited by Gwydion

in the imp: heavy, heady white floral. not tuberose or jasmine, but similarly sweet.

wet: rich, musky gardenia. no freshness, but it smells clean. hot, lush, and sharp.

drydown: warm, creamy, comforting, yet borderline cloying. like the moment before you either give up and go to sleep or rip the blankets off your too-hot body.

verdict: when i first applied it, i thought it smelled something similar to perfume my mom wore-- i just couldn't quite remember it. the scent stays true for several hours (7+). right before it fades into soft vanilla nothingness, it starts morphing into something questionable. the more i kept smelling my wrists/inner elbow, the more it started to smell like stinky feet. not sweaty blue cheese feet fermenting sockless in a synthetic shoe that everyone can smell for miles. it was more like dirty feet that you've been walking barefoot with that you have to press your nose into (between the toes) to even smell. must be the honey about to go off. i decided to reapply before bed when it hit me: it smells like Original Scent Lubriderm lotion. my mom used to slather it on her legs before bed. at my previous job, i used to slather it on my hands when it was freshly washed and finally out of nitrile gloves. for the same intensity, just apply a centimeter's dab of Good.

Good seems generic, but i enjoy its familiarity without any need to slather lotion to the point of greasiness. i also look forward to layering w/ Dwarf and Paladin.

Edited by psykhe

musk, vanilla and that's it? :P to bad, wanted more of that honey and offcorse acacia! but still: bottle heehee :lol:

At first, this mostly a beeswax infused honey with a touch of musk. Gradually as it dries, the musk strengthens, and boy is it one beautiful musk! Very understated but with presence, if that makes sense. I don't really get any floral, just sweet, honeyed musk. I really like this, and am contemplating a bottle. It smells like natural skin, only better, like fresh, clean girl. Sounds dumb, I know, but that's the best way I can describe this blend. Looking forward to layering possiblities. :wub2:

Wear it when you want to feel like Saundra Dee! It smells slightly sweet, clean, and wholesome. It doesn't smell strictly feminine to me though; you could also wear it to feel like Rocky Horror. (He always seemed rather innocent and wholesome to me, in spite of the debaucheries surrounding him. At least in the film version.)

On the skin: Mmmmmm! A honey sweet musk. Very lovely! I could instantly see this being a perfect blend for wearing to work where stronger scents would be frowned upon. A lovely, sweet musky scent that wafts nicely and isn't heavy or strong. An "aura" perfume!

I don't think I would ever want to wear this scent alone, but I think this is definitely a great layering scent as long as it is paired with something that won't completely drown it out!