Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin.

In the imp: I was expecting a blast of very sharp leather, but I didn't get that from this at all. I think my nose is mainly getting the rosin from the imp.

Wet: What I believe to be the hemp note seems to be the most prominent note on my skin (it's somewhat grassy), with what I believe to be the rosin in second place. (Alas, I am not that familiar with the notes in this blend.) The leather is definitely well-worn, and I prefer this leather note to the other leather notes that I have encountered thus far. Something in this blend pricks my skin a bit. It doesn't burn, though.

Dry: The leather note is much more prominent now, but the hemp is still pretty strong on me. The rosin is still present as well, but it isn't as strong anymore. My skin is cool where this was applied.

Verdict: I am glad that I didn't get chemically leather from this, but I discovered that I don't care for hemp. I will have to give this one a new home.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Leather and hemp.

Wet: The leather is strong (much more so than the white leather in Paladin) and it’s balanced by the sharpness from the rosin.

Dry: At first this is almost too sharp. It’s definitely masculine. Then it settles down to a rich-smelling leather. When I put my nose right to the back of my hand, I get the sweetness of the hemp.

Started out ok, with the leather and rosin nicely balancing each other out, but then rosin took over and made it bitter/sour. Might be alright in small doses but any more and I'll have a headache. Other characters I foresee are better suited to my personality(and skin chemistry!!).

In the imp: Woooo that's some rosin right there! Hemp lends sweetness and what I foresee to be a lovely leather note grounds it, but what I get right out of the imp is a big ol' blast of rosin.

Wet: Upon first application, I could almost swear I smelled cooking spices??? But whatever that is, it dries down pretty quickly, leaving a much more leather-dominant scent. The sweetness of the hemp is now much dialed-down, and what I believe to be the rosin (I admit I'm not too familiar with either hemp or rosin, IRL or as interpreted by the Lab) plays a close second fiddle to the leather. What I'm getting now is pleasantly smooth, deep, and unisex-leaning-masculine. Mmmmm, heaven - just add a touch of amber, and you'd have pretty much my dream perfume.

Dry: Fairly linear - soft, sweet leather with an extremely graceful fade.

Edited by Lunasariel

In the imp, it smells exactly like the Texas Renaissance Festival. Specifically, the incense kiosk (you know the one). It's uncanny how much this smells like the Ren Fest, that comforting cacophony of leathers, spices, and sunbaked dirt.

It mellows out a bit on my skin, but also leaves me feeling like I kind of need a shower. Not that it's stinky or that I dislike it. But it so perfectly evokes the feeling of sweaty, dusty exhaustion after a day traipsing around The Kingdom. Definitely a good blend for autumn, or maybe for those days when I wish it was.

I got this as a frimp in my first (yay!) order and at first I wasn't too excited because I HATE the smell of new leather.

I was pleasantly surpised though: while I do smell something leather-ish in it, it's more the leather or an old (clean) book... a leather that has been used so much it has lost any reminiscence of dead skin.

Impressions in order or appearance:

• Green Leaves... Sweet Green Leaves, if it makes sense
  • A refreshing lukewarm drink... something comforting
  • Old leather, somehow "friendly": If this is a Rogue, he is more the mischievous one, not a violent rogue.
  • Very nice scent. I like it a lot, but maybe more for a room, not body.
  • Complex warm/fresh impression: I'd say 75% fresh, 25% warm
  • It's morphing and getting warmer and sweeter. Still keeping the "green" theme though, but now it's a muddier green.
  • SKI WAX SMELL. I'm officially loving this now
  • It has settled to something very comforting (hemp does this to me) and sweet. Incredibly nice, and now it's fully appropiate for body as well.
  • It keeps a certain musky smell, which helps with the "comforting" quality. If it was a house, this would be a small wooden cabin, very comfortable and well taken care of, but in no way luxurious nor sterile. Despite the "green", it's not a "fresh out of the shower" smell.

Conclusion: THANK YOU LAB ELVES ! I love it soo much... I would like a big bottle of this, but depending on how the other scents go, I might need to sacrifice it for something a little bit more wearable at the beginning. But it is really gorgeous...

In the imp: Sweetly herbal.

Wet on my skin: Sweet hemp, rosin, and just a bit of leather.

Dry: The rosin in this smells like my expensive dark bow rosin (instrument, not hunting bow). I LOVE that. I also love the sweet hemp, and the leather. I love this. This is one of my favourite RPGs so far, and I have a feeling Evil (Dwarf) Rogue is going to be a BIG THING.

It is just leather. All leather, nothing else. It then becomes leather-scented baby powder. I'm now thinking that leather might be a death note for me. :cry2:

I expected not to like this. Right now I am liking it 100% more than expected.

I don't know what rosin smells like, but I think that's what I'm smelling because it's not leather or hemp, both of which I'm familiar with. Or it may just be so well blended that I can't pick out the notes individually. This is REALLY nice though. It's pretty gender neutral. I think it would smell amazing on a man, but I like the way it smells on me too. It's different than anything else I've tried. I am not sure that I would need a bottle, but I'm keeping in the imp.

This stays really close to the skin. It's very warm. "soft, well-worn" is a great description for this whole scent.

This was one of the first oils I tested, and the one that made me start to worry that my skin makes odd things sweeter than they ought to be.. :cry2: I don't have much experience with what leather is supposed to smell like in perfumes, but I suspect that is what didn't like me here (although I have enjoyed the leather in a couple of other BPALs I've tried, so eh?).

In the imp: Rosin (love!), a herby smell which I guess is the hemp, and a sweet smell which does not smell like true-to-life leather to me at all. Overall I really like it, though.

Wet: When first applied, I get a nice hit of rosin-y, hemp-y goodness, but then it immediately starts turning into Imperial Leather soap :sad: The rosin has all but disappeared. The hemp is there in the background just stopping it from going completely to soap, but it keeps getting sweeter as it dries!
Dry: Warmed to quite a strong throw after half an hour or so. Pity it's still Imperial Leather soap. Tiny hint of hemp if I sniff my wrist & concentrate. Faded quite fast after that.

Disappointing, I was expecting to love this one.. Have tried layering it with a couple of the other RPG scents, but the sweet soapy leather keeps ruining it for me. On a friend, it smelt exactly as described, so I guess i just have a problem with certain kinds of leather. My imp will probably get gifted to someone who will appreciate it more.

Edited by spikyfairy

Oh, Rogue. You are the best. A long-time favorite.

If I want to feel, you know, rogueish -- tough, sexy, devil-may-care -- all out of proportion to my actual life, I put on some of this, and everything is magic.

This is the best leather note I've tried -- it stays true and smells amazing.

Reviewing on behalf of my SO, who is not on the forum. ;)

As a big table gamer (40k), he was super-intrigued by all of the RPG blends. I got him imps of several, and while he does use Ranger, Orc, and Chaos occasionally, Rogue was the clear winner. On him it smells exactly as I'd expected - warm, soft, worn-in leather with just a tiny hint of hemp and rosin to round out the scent. It's super sexy and a little tough, and a great scent overall.

Bottle: Mainly rosin -- to me, it's a smell partway between amber, pine and earth. I'm reminded of violins. Leather, soft and barely there.

Wet: Whoa. The rosin is mighty. More soft leather, and yes, now hemp rope.

Dry: Stronger on me than many BPAL scents I've tried, and lasted all day. Leather and hemp seem to come out more as time goes on.

In the imp, it seemed straight-up rosin to me, with a dusty herbal note. Just after application, the rosin softened, and I definitely got the leather. It's really beautiful, almost foody/spicy. It's sweeter than I thought it would be, and I like that. I thought it would be too masculine for my chemistry, but so far it's working pretty well.

A fortuitous frimp!

I always rogue, no question, in every game I play. I bought a bottle of Rogue about six months ago, tested it once, and got the vague impression it wasn't the leather heavy scent I was hoping for, but let's give it a go.

Bottle: Strong, strong scent of pine and something, well, resinous that I'm assuming is the rosin. Essentially no leather. A sweet herbal quality that I can only assume is the hemp.

Wet: Pine and hemp. Very herbal, not what I was expecting at all.

Drying: Sweet herbs. Uh oh. While I think this does a good job capturing the concept in theory, this one may not be for me. Yep, I smell like a head shop

Dry: This scent is definitely more pleasant as it dries down, more resin and less herbs, but still not for me. If hemp and rosin are your thing, though, this is your new fave!

I gave a bottle of this to an ex who ended up being a horrible guy, but I remembered loving the scent and hoped time would eventually soothe the association. Here's hoping.

In the imp: sharp, herbal pine. Much sharper than I remember.

Wet: Still a lot of pine, with leather and rosin. Earthy, warm, with an herbaceous kick.

Dry: The pine is gone, and I'm left with a soft leather topped with with sweet resin and hemp. Beautiful but very soft on me. Luckily without nasty scent associations!

I have mixed feelings on Rogue. It starts off very sweet, but eventually dies down to a very subtle leather. Most of the time the hemp note is the strongest on me, and even though I don't dislike it per se, I don't love it either. When I've mixed wit with other RPG scents, it's the hemp that sticks around. It is a very comforting scent, and worth keeping for that, but it just doesn't feel very . . . roguish to me.

A bright and sassy gender-neutral blend of pine rosin with a bit of leather and rope... for a subtle and charming rogue capable of fitting in anywhere and coming out on top.

This is the scent that introduced me to BPAL, and the one that convinced me that perfumes didn't have to be hyperfloral femme fruity vanillas or aggressively masculine fresh aquatic citrus or even alcohol-based at all -- it opened up my world and I'm so glad that it did. It's distinct and unusual, without being overwhelming, and I think it would be a great introduction to indies for people who don't think they like perfume.

It is also great layered with Whip, doubling up on the leather and melding red rose with the freshness of the hemp/pine.

Edited by Xellessanova

This is incredible! The notes didn't look like what I usually like, so I wasn't expecting much of anything, but this is such a morpher on me. I get a lot of the rosin, which shows up as a very cuddly, soft resinous note. The leather in here doesn't read "black" to me at all; this is well-worn, well-loved leather. Most fascinating to me is the hemp note, which is a perfect match for the hemp cords I made jewelry out of as a kid. It's so spot-on I'm even getting the taste of them, but I'm pretty sure I'm imagining that. There's a vanillic quality in this that makes it surprisingly pretty and feminine on my skin; I'll definitely be getting a bottle.

Like something that used to be zingy and has been worn down a bit from constant use and battle. Still zingy, but now more mellowed. Does seem to fade quickly... or maybe it just went Stealth. I like this!

When I'd wear this: Early spring

Okay, so if you've ever worked in a barn before, there's a really specific smell right after the saddles get oiled and treated. This is that smell, and I absolutely love it. As it dries there's something in the background that's sharper, almost cologne-like, which I think is the rosin coming through. Soft, warm leather. A little sweetness. A pinch of rosin to keep you on your toes. Of course this is what a rogue would smell like. The sharp rosin fades as time passes. It's all sweet soft leather and dry hemp on my skin. I love it. Although it would be a very comforting fall scent, it actually reminds me most of the summers I spent teaching horseback riding.

To me, this smells like practicality, versatility, and comfort. This rogue knows what she's doing- how to get in and out of places she shouldn't be- and the rest of the group trusts her skills implicitly.

In the imp: Definitely getting the rosin and leather notes! Somewhat acidic, very powerful scent. Does not smell weak or understated at all.

Wet: The rosin is still really prominent on me, but the leather comes through nicely. Smells a little... herbacious, maybe? I'm not sure, there's something in there that reminds me of crushed medicinal herbs. Either way it's VERY strong on me, still very acidic. 5 minutes in and I'm no longer being punched in the face by this scent every time I take a whiff, and it's mellowed out really really nice. The leather is shining through, the rosin took a back seat finally, and I think I might actually be getting some of the hemp. This is a warm leather smell. A subtle masculine cologne on a leather jacket. Really loving this.

Dry: Sweet, soft leather suede. Really gorgeous, I can't stop sniffing! It's pretty light on me, but most scents are. However, even 2 hours later I can still catch a faint whiff of it up close on my arm.

Overall I LOVE this scent! Like its name, it's powerful and abrasive at first but once it warms up to you, it's sweet and soft and warm. Definitely leans toward a masculine scent, but this works well for all genders. This might be one of the few I get as a 5ml eventually.

It started out as a rugged and worn leather, but it didn't stay that way. It's a shame, because it was really nice. It somehow got a bit minty. The leather isn't completely gone. but it's really far behind this sweetness. Maybe it's not so much sweet mint, but a sweet grass. I'm not overly familiar with hemp, but I'm willing to bet that's it. The hemp and rosin making a sweet grass. I like it well enough, but I miss the leather.