Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Penance

Orc

ORC
Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I had to try this one for the sheer weirdness of it. I'm not a fan of the smell of zucchini (although I do like cucumber in perfumes sometimes), but curiosity got the better of me here. Plus, the rest of the notes sounded good.

First sniff:

Yeah, that's definitely zucchini. I'm not sure what field grey zucchini musk is supposed to smell like, but this just smells like zucchini to me. Fresh, vegetabley and green. Slightly watery and darker than cucumber. I don't get any leather or vetiver (which is unusual since vetiver has a tendency to jump out and wallop me right in the nose when it's present in a scent).

Wet on skin:

Zucchinis for everyone! I'm mostly getting a freakishly realistic zucchini note with the slightest touch of leather in the way background. Still no vetiver.

Dry down:

No change. I was hoping the leather (or even the vetiver) might come to the front once Orc dried, but no such luck. This would be a great summer scent if you're into smelling like fresh vegetables. That's not my sort of thing, though.

The bottom line:

Curiosity sated. Zucchini perfume is exactly what it is. An interesting experience, but not something that I need to keep around. My bottle's moved on to a new home.

This one was mostly purchased as a curiosity.

In the imp: (without having reminded myself of notes) Vegetably.

Wet: Memory flash to cutting up vegetables. Green, a little watery. *starts to check Lab description, remembers while waiting for page to load* Oh, zucchini! Yeah, that's what it smells like.

Dry down: More throw on this one that the other RPGs I've tested so far. Sometimes smells more like cucumbers, sometimes more like zucchini. Hints of something peppery, which I think is probably my brain trying to make sense of the vetiver when the predominant scent is zucchini.

Dry: If I search for it, with my nose right up at the test site, I think I get thin whiffs of leather. But generally I'm swaddled in the fragrance of fresh summer veggie.

Overall: I'll see how this does when layered, but I'm thinking I don't really want to smell like a farmers' market. Probably won't be reaching for Orc all that often.

I can definitely smell zucchini, fresh dark green zucchini. A bit of an earthy smell which later goes a little spicy. The vetiver is not as gritty as I'm used to, I find it's a smooth kind. The leather is very light and blends nicely with the vetiver.

I was ridiculously excited about this one for some reason, and it didn't disappoint.

In the imp, it's a delicious fresh zucchini smell, I mean like fresh from the cutting board. There's a soft undertone of leather, just a hint of it, and something kind of sweet. Really like a skin musk or a white musk.

Wet on, I suddenly amped vetiver massively. I smelled like smoked zucchinis, heavy on the smoke. As weird as that sounds, it really worked on me. It smelled good. My husband loved the scent.

During the dry down phase I amped the leather to the point everything else disappeared for a while. It smelled like walking into a Tandy leather shop. I happen to like that scent. YMMV. The throw on this was medium strong.

After about three hours, the leather tamed down to the point that the sweet musky scent came through again, and the vetiver returned with a slightly spicy hint to the smoke. This scent was a very long lasting one. After eight hours, it was still going and still lovely. If orcs actually smelled like this, I think more races would hang around them more. :lol:

A note: I was hesitant to even order this as vetiver and I normally do not get along. However, I believe that this is my favorite of the RPGs!

In the imp this smells like a cross between wheat grass juice and zucchini bread batter - not foody, but liquid and merky.

On wet this develops into a beautiful smooth green leather. Still kind of marsh green, but the zucchini balances the blend really well. I am not getting any vetiver. It is playing really well on my skin.

Dry this is a sweet green leather. I have no other words for this. I love it. AND it makes me think of orcs - I love when I get the whole experience form a blend that Beth makes, and this does not fail!

Bottom line: TRY IT!!

First sniff: all I can think of to say is... interesting. This smells like, a sort of fruity and pavement kind of leather. Vetiver's in the mix saying a big hello too.

Skin testing: it's making me think of asphalt and bananas. There's a burnt... something... element to this. Given a moment to soften up the whole thing has calmed down quite a bit and it's softly musky in an interesting and unusual sort of way. It reminds me of a toned (way) down Gore Shock. I still can't decide quite how I feel about it. Usually that means that I'll keep sniffing it and keep sniffing it until I end up loving it.

Edited by strahlend

In the vial: ... this is SO weird! XD It's an evil zucchini! I can't WAIT to try this on.

On: A MANLY zucchini in a leather jacket! I could see an orc smelling like this, but it also gives me hilarious mental images :D It does turn rather faint upon dry-down... but I could see this layering incredibly well with "Evil"

Later: ... cucumber. Not even an evil cucumber. Cucumber. Nice enough, but it doesn't really invoke an Orc anymore.

In vial: Courgette = zucchini. It does smell like a just ripe zucchini squash, still on the vine. Deep green, lush & almost creamy.

Wet: I can't describe it any better than the lab's description of roughly cured leather! Literally my arm smells like tanned hide with the garden plantiness keeping it from being too heavy. 

Dry: The leather has smoothed out, like a supple cut of thick suede. The courgette finally ditched the zucchini power for its musky side. The greenness hasn't lessened, just gotten darker- I suspect the vetiver, though I can't pick it out. It must be much cleaner and smoother than I have experienced in other blends- I could learn to love a vetiver like this. Unfortunately later on it settles into a new car smell.

Verdict: Dark but not dirty, not earthy exactly but well grounded nonetheless. It's natural, simple and no-nonsense, like it's namesake. Fun to try, if you like leathery garden scents. Or new car scents! Personally, I have no desire to smell like an auto interior so I'll pass.

+ re: previous comment- now I have images of Larry the Cucumber from VeggieTales in a studly leather bomber dancing around in my head :lol:

I sniffed this in the vial before I read the note list and I thought "Cucumbers??". Now I see it's zucchini I'm smelling--oh well, it's all good. Once on the skin I got a blast of vetiver. The drydown of Orc is almost shockingly wearable and mild considering the odd assortment of notes--it's mostly a soft, earthy leather. Weird. But in a good way!

Wow. I don't even.

Weird evil vegetables? As it dries the wetness of the vegetable lightens up a bit and it starts to get more unspecific "green." This is definitely a very unique scent -- smoky, leathery, a little vegetable-y. Glad I tried it, definitely don't need more.

This scent is sooo odd on me. I get something like green, watery cucumber with smoky, dark, kinda gritty/earthy leather & vetiver. It's like salad mixed with smoky, manly darkness. After about an hour, it has settled into a clean leather smell, but there are leather blends that I like a lot more than this one.

This is one that needs to settle in on my skin. At first it's a bit jarring and bitter, but the bitterness eventually goes away. Other reviewers have done an excellent job of describing this already, so I'll just say that this smells like Julia Stone, if Julia stone had leather instead of linen.

Edited by patina

When I first put Orc on, the throw is exactly like those Chowards violet candies that you used to be able to buy all over the place (Still available on Amazon, apparently, at the very least). Light, sweet, insubstantial, and vaguely potpourri-ish.

As it dried, the leather and vetiver started marching, together. The throw got a little greener, and if I put my face right into my wrist, it was all lovely vetiver-leathery goodness. When dry, the three didn't throw a whole lot, but blended together comfortably.

I've never actually played an orc or half orc, but this is a really good rendition, I feel. Gives me ideas for backup characters to what I've currently got running! ;)

Zucchini and leather. On the drydown it becomes smoky leather. But yes, green zucchinis and leather.

Weird.

::: ORC:::

Of all the Frimps to wind up in these greedy, trembling clutches this one invoked the greatest excitement. The RPG line has been an inspiration since it's inception, but economic forces have weighed in heavily in terms of influencing thrifty order habits of late. When the return home from Bat's Day revealed that Orc was among the stowaways, there was voluble and dorktastic rejoicing to be heard... The Wife, bless her, remained the steadfast but mute pillar of highly coloured chagrin. Vetiver is always a reason to be excited. The Lab's Leather note suggests fantasy figures at any level. Courgette? Well, that one was welcome news because, since returning home from London, everybody insists on calling it zucchini. Those are the greasy, green things you can get a carton of at Carl's Jr.

From the Imp: Luscious vegetal essence. While there exists the subtlest presence of the emerald squash, there is something dewy and leafy here too. Cucumber would be suspect even though it has been thus far exempted from mention. Also, it would come as no surprise that the main component of the Courgette comes from the sweet, golden blossoms.

Surprisingly, the Leather and the Vetiver are hidden away somewhere, snickering at the thought of leaping around a corner later and making hairs turn white.

On the Skin: Here is the Vetiver. The Asiatic grass is surprisingly sweet in this formula. It maintains a highly tropical profile and there is something darkly refined in it too; an idol of highly polished pewter or grass that some eccentric billionaire with gothic leanings has secreted away in the shadowy recesses of his remote manor.

It isn't until later that Leather finally joins the foray. The Leather here is gorgeous; soft, supple, and lovingly worked to perfection.

This blend has been a very pleasant surprise. The expectation was that this would come across as hard-bitten, edgy, and gritty. Well, what else could come from judging a book by it's cover?

Rest assured, Orc is pleasingly dark and intriguing. There are many levels to this formula, though, and most of them are well acquainted with an unexpected agility and finesse.

On Her, Orc is illicit black sugar; exotic, narcotic, and erotic.

On Him, Orc is deliciously deviant; willing, chilling, and thrilling.

Bravo, BPAL!

Orc is, most definitely, a 5 out of 5.

The vetiver is less aggressive than I'm used to. Many vetiver blends get axed as soon as the cap is off the imp, but it is very subtle here.

I don't get any zucchini. I get violet musk and third-world-leather-goods (that cloying, semi-sweet, honey-bucket cured leather scent). Very appropriate to the theme, but probably not something I need to experience on a regular basis. The leather note reminds me of Jezirat al Tennyn.

I didn't really smell zucchini in this. I mean yeah, there's something green and cucumbery, but there's also leather and some very nice musk. I wasn't sure what to expect from this, and my only experience with orcs is with LOTR, and that experience was AWFUL because I HATED the orcs because they scared the crap out of me. But this? I like this. It's unusual but pleasant and intriguing, and I like it.

ITB: It's woodsy, but not the forest, more like sparse woods right before a field mixed with oiled leather and...hay? How odd.

Wet: It's oddly hay-like and the leather strikes me as saddle leather....and zucchini. That's part of the odd green scent I was getting in the bottle. I'm not getting much smokiness, though.

Dry: Zucchini musk, hay, and finally just a touch of vetiver and faint leather. I wish there was something a little more masculine to this scent.

In bottle: I'd call the zucchini is strongest, but with a strong smoky vetiver as a second. The Leather blends beautifully with the vetiver, and the musk forms a bridge between the zucchini and the heavier elements. I really like the contrast between the bright fresh zucchini and the sexier, earthier, predator scent. There is no way I could wear this, but it's a gorgeous and startling design, well suited to its concept.

Edited by Gwydion

So, I didn't order Orc when I splurged on a bunch of RPG imps; who would want to smell like even the *concept* of Orc? But the Lab, in its infinite wisdom, decided I needed Orc as one of my frimps. I'm glad they did, just to prove that old saw about books and covers and all that...

It took me a while to work up the 'nads to try Orc, but it was a very pleasant surprise. Wet, it is a very aggressive bitter-green with metal and harsh leather under it. It's totally in your face. Then, suddenly, it mellows into a lovely musk, with sweet green and leather notes. Quite gender-neutral (on me, anyway) and it plays VERY nicely with the more sweet "class" and "attribute" categories of the RPG line; I especially like it layered with Mage, Chaotic, or Evil.

Freebie from the lab

Imp: Chocolate (?!) and leather.

Wet: More cucumber than courgette, and yeah, they smell different to me. A spicy warmth works its way up almost immediately.It's the same scent I get from a lot of the forest blends, most of which I've noticed have vetiver listed, so I can only assume that vetiver doesn't do the usual smoky/wet/green thing on me. Instead it's a warm, brown tree scent - perhaps what you might smell if one of Tolkien's Ents sat sunning itself in the clearing of a pine forest. It's the fragrance I *always* want when I buy something that mentions a forest in its description, so I'm very happy about it. There's also the barest hint of leather under the surface.

Dry: The spicy vetiver scent for ages, and then a very light musk towards the end of the day. The cold vegetable smell never returns after that first initial swipe.

Overall, this is nothing like what I expected when I saw it amongst my imps. What it is is absolutely lovely, and I will definitely buy one when the freebie runs out. Probably an imp, but if it ages well, a bottle. ★: 4/5.

Wet: Wow, it smells...good! Grey and vegetal but also sweet and tempting. I’m really digging the musk.

Drydown: Once on my skin the zucchini-vegetal-ness begins to amp and ...well, damn...I don’t like it. There’s a lovely cozy-sweet musk in there too, but I’m having trouble getting past the vegetal pungency at the forefront.

Dry: Unfortunately it stays true to the drydown. Well, there’ll be no solo-wearing for this one, but luckily it’s meant to be layered and I remain optimistic that it’ll smell good mixed with some of the other RPGs. (Added-On Spoiler: It does!)

4 out of 10 bones

In the imp: Musky leather and vetiver. To say that I am afraid of this would be an understatement. Oh, well! *braces self*

Wet: Musky leather and vetiver, just like the description. I can smell the 'grey' aspect of the musk.

Dry: Same.

Verdict: Well, I am not fond of these notes, so it isn't a surprise that this blend is not for me. I do think that it is rather fitting for an orc, though!

Edited by dementia_divine

Testing a frimp of Orc received from the Lab. It smells like vetiver, and dries down to a soft, smoky but sweet vetiver single note on my skin. I think the musk is what sweetens it. Fortunately, the leather stays away and doesn't ruin this. I like vetiver, and I could see layering this with scents that could use a hint of sweet smoke.

I'd been meaning to get an imp of this forever and just kept putting it off. Luckily, I just got it as a frimp in my last order from the Trading Post!

Yay Vetiver! This is my favorite kind of Vetiver, grassy and fresh. It always reminds me of the smell of rain on cement. I'm not getting any leather or musk on this first try. I think this may be a bottle purchase in the future. It's certainly going on my wish list!