Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
beachbabealways

Plague Doctor v13

This is the only proto I asked my pick-up angel to get me. The name intrigued me and I have always loved the hand made Madame Talbot Plague Doctor doll that the Lab has sitting out at the shows (as seen in pictures).

I'm really stumped as to specific notes in this one. I do get something herbal and green with maybe just a touch of spices. Maybe a touch of leather. It's very well blended.

When I opened the bottle my husband was 2 feet away and he said "ewww I don't like that one"

Without him knowing it I tested it and after the dry down I stuck my wrist under his nose and he was like "Oh now I like that one" I was like "well it's the ewww one" :lol:

He really liked the drydown (which didn't take long). I have found it's always best to skin test and this experience just proved it. :)

Will be hanging onto this one and see how it ages.

Much :love!: to my pick-up :angel:

ETA: If you like Planting Moon you'll like this.

Edited by beachbabealways

Thick, grassy greenness, herbs and perhaps a touch of musk? I agree with beachbabealways - this is exceedingly well blended and difficult to pick out individual notes. If you like the green grassy scents, you might like this. A keeper.

ETA: This has the same balsam note from U, the Mutter Museum scent.

Edited by Ellebelle

With my obsession with plague masks and creepy plague doctor illustrations, you can imagine how pumped I was when I saw this on their Etsy site. I read the reviews and thought "Oh, yum! Herbally goodness? Yes please!"

When I opened the bottle I was in joy- it was bright and a touch sweet with some citrus overtones (maybe lemongrass?). Much to my dismay, there was not much herbal goodness to be had. In fact, it smells nearly identical to Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse- very sharply floral with a hint of green notes lurking in the background but never really coming forward. I ended up washing it off because it made me sick. Tried it the next day, same thing.

I guess I was expecting something different, more greenery, more herbs. I wanted the earthy notes I associated with the herbs that were stuffed in the beak of the mask! Sadly, I didn't find them... into the swap pile it goes.

In the bottle this is very herbal and green. I get may be a dash of something a bit dirty, dark, and may be even a bit spicy underneath all the greenery and herbs. Once this starts to dry the green sweetens up a bit and I feel almost like I can smell a bit of mint leaf or the crushed mint note I get from Tristran that lightens things up considerably. Minty herbs and greenery is pretty much what I smell now that it is about halfway through the dry down. The darker note from before is grounding out the blend slightly but has definitely loosened its hold. Ok, this definitely has a mint component to it, may be pennyroyal even?

Now that this is close to drying completely, a warmer note comes into play and helps the herbal green notes blend with the mint. This calms the blend down in a way that it isn't so light and cooling anymore while adding another almost spicy dimension to it. Ok there must be some kind of amber or resin note in this because on the dry down I get loads of beautiful greenery and herbs (keep in mind these herbs aren't quite sour in anyway anymore) with a dash of crushed mint leaves and spices over a base of warm sweet glowing amber! Wow. What a beautiful scent. Evocative too I want to say! It may not be something I wear particularly often, but I can see wearing it often while gardening or being outside or even cooking. My boyfriend also really liked the scent for himself! This morphed like crazy on me!

Oh! Also I want to say that I don't think this has the same balsam note from U Mutter Museum because the balsam in that blend completely ruined it for me, while this blend works wonderfully on me!

Green herbs, balsam, amber and spices. On wet, the green herbs and spices are the most prominent part and then as it dries the balsam and amber come out.

It's earthy, green/resinous, and very well blended. Sadly, it is not for me.

I opened my bottle of this and put a bit on my wrists, and my husband instantly said, "Wow! That smells amazing. Is there pine in that one?" And that sums up my initial thoughts pretty well too ^_^. It's a lot like Plague Doctor v10 (which I loveloveLOVE), but with a cool, sweet, green pine note added in to that cool, watery cologne smell. As it dries down, there's something slightly woodsmoky and spicy-warm that comes through as the watery aspects fade.

I still love Plague Doctor v10 more than this or any of the other prototypes, but this one is really nice too. I think I'll give this one to my hubby and we'll sort of match when I wear v10. :]

Edited by Little Bird

I get creamy, green sap-y balsam, soft and very well-blended leather and soft mint (similar to the mint in Green Tree Viper). It reminds me a lot of U, but without the vanilla note (though I also get something softly vanillic in here after a while). After a while it gets a powdery and soft.

This starts out very woody and herbish to me. A mentholic note creeps in and really crashes the party. The blends starts to remind me of a more complex Vick's Vapor Rub with a touch of sassafras, maybe. Definitely woody Vick's. Or Vick's woody, who knows.

Very green and herby in the bottle and wet on my skin. On dry down, I'm getting amber and something spicy. I smell good!

Very, very nice. This one is a keeper! :wub2:

Iiiiiiinteresting. I expected this to be more cologney than it actually was; it's really more balsamic than cologney. What I'm taking to be the balsam resin in this really reminds me of U, but with an herbal background instead of the raw vanilla and leather in U. I'm glad I got to try it, but I have to say I prefer my U.

Bottle: Sweet fancy Moses, this is terrifying. Dark, thick pine (due to the similarity to Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse) and a hint of a berry like scent--maybe black currant? Very viscous, thick and dark. I would hazard a guess that there is another wood in here--cypress or balsam, maybe? And a resin of some sort, probably myrrh?

Wet: This goes on thick, dark and damn weird. It's a very twisted dark pine scent with a heavy medicinal wood scent in the background. It reminds me of the general stores/apothercary shops in those living musuem ghost towns that pepper western Canada and USA.

Dry: One of the darker and scarier scents I've smelled that doesn't have the obvious addition of vetiver. It feels, tonally, like a green, crushed herb, medicinal compliment to Lycaon (blackened myrrh, crushed olive leaf, black musk, spikenard, frankincense, cypress wood, opoponax, white ginger, and patchouli) but where Lycaon is dry and rocky, this is a little more puply and herbal. I am taking a stab in the dark at some of the notes here: white pine, myrrh, balsam, black currant and orange peel/pulp. Maybe a touch of tonka providing a papery sweetness? The longer it dries down, the more it seems suited to my chemistry but it is definitely a strong, bold scent that is not going to be a crowd pleaser. It smells medicinal and additionally a little poisonous. I can see a lot of people who aren't familiar with perfume oils or complex scents wrinkling their noses and asking what that smell is.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: I'm going as a plague doctor for Hallowe'en and thought it would be super neat to have a scent to match. This evokes my costume perfectly and I'll certainly dig it then. Otherwise, I can't think of a lot of social situations where this would be appropriate. I think I may try layering it with something a little sweeter to cut the scary/crazy it evokes or otherwise it will become a paperrose power scent for when I have a million things requiring me to kick ass and take names.

This was frimped to me. ❤️

in bottle I smelled green and thought “celery”.

On skin this smells initially like a blast of celery, ash, tobacco and....pine? Kinda interesting!

it is drying off so quickly. Now it snells of ash celery and ..,, thats it. Maybe Cucumber???

This was a frottle from the Lab! Oh my goodness!

In the bottle: Grassy, herbal greenness. 

Wet on my skin: This smells like a whole herbal apothecary shop. Whooooah. I'm getting hints of notes I strongly suspect to be rosemary or something else minty-piney-camphorous, parsley, rose petals, nutmeg, clove or allspice, and various other green herbs and spices. 

Dry: Herbs and spices, and a bit foresty! This is really, really gorgeous, and unlike pretty much anything else I have tried so far, at least that I can remember. I can for sure pick out some kind of mint, parsley, rose petals, nutmeg, clove, myrrh, and I believe opium. The rest (and there's quite a lot of that) is a medicinal melange of ???? green herbal ???? resins ????? musk ???? pine???? Strange, dark, and a little unsettling, but also quite beautiful on my skin. Definitely evokes Plague Doctor, and/or Bog Witch. Nice. Very nice. Thank you, Lab, for sending me this unexpected treasure! :wub2:

Frottle! This is a weird and interesting scent. In the bottle, it's dark and herbal: pine and musk are the first impressions. On my skin, I get mint, but it's planty mint, not sweet mint. Something else in this reads to me as ... myrrh? It's not very strong, but it gives a dark, cool, resinous quality underneath the green plants. There's a spice in there too, but I can't decide what it is - it's one of the baking spices. Probably not cinnamon as I amp that pretty hard, maybe nutmeg? Dark fruit, too, although it's way down there in the mix.

Definitely one of the more unusual BPALs I've smelled.