Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Whip leather, cardamom, patchouli, and bourbon.

Bottle: Spicy, dusty cardamom and an unpleasant chemical smell
Wet: I smell something that I associate with rugged men's cologne, which I assume to be leather. The cardamom is reminding me of cinnamon, and it's giving off a lovely "fresh cinnamon" spiciness. The patchouli is very faint and the dryness reminds me of the patch in The Coiled Serpent.
Dry: The scent faded drastically within the first 5-10 minutes of application. It develops a bit of sweetness on drydown, and I'm happy that I can't smell the leather anymore.

This is my first experience with a leather note. I really love the spiciness of cardamom and earthiness of patchouli, but I'm not sold on leather.

I swapped this bottle away shortly after my review, then I tested original Spanked and had a "what if it turns out to be THIS good with aging?" moment, so I found another bottle.

Now, it's gorgeous. It still has the cardamom but the bourbon has intensified and gives this a sweetness that's like honey but not honey. The leather has calmed down as well, it's no longer chemical but it lends a bit of masculinity to the sweet spiciness. This time it's love. :heart: Edited by mxtine

It takes my skin a while to get through the cardamom stage and I'm not a big cardamom fan but it's so worth it! After the cardamom settles down this amazing leather scent emerges and it's just gorgeous :wub2:

At first, all I could really smell was those little red hot candies with a hint of Something Else. I thought, okay, this isn't bad... much better than if the leather amped, which it tends to do on me... but not fantastic. I knew buying it that there was a distinct possibility I wouldn't like it due to the leather. At that point, my low expectations were met. I'd have it for the curiosity and see what happened in a few months.

However! After about a half an hour, I sniffed it and thought, Ah! Now I'm starting to understand what the hype is about. The red hot aspect died down and the Something Else was coming forward. And thank goodness the leather still didn't go wonky!

I don't know what exactly I was smelling; all I know is I'm a convert. I believe this is the only oil with a leather note I've been able to pull of so far in my scent journey.

Spanked:Rev turned into this deeply sexy, glorious scent. This is horde worthy for sure.

Cardamom and leather. I can see how this is popular, as this is a feminine, sultry scent... if you can wear leather.

Sadly, leather is not for me. This a weird mix of chemically leather and worn leather, sweetened by cardamom and spice.

But still, a leather scent.

HELLO spice. Initially this is alllll cardamom on me. I'm surprised, because this smelled so boozy in the bottle.

After about 15-20 minutes, the leather starts to come through and the bourbon sweetens things up. I don't get any patch at all. It's perfectly balanced and delicious! I imagine Spanked will become one of the blends I wear frequently, and I'm going to need another couple of bottles as I'm sure it will age fabulously.

edit: I've decided the bourbon in this blend behaves much the same as it does in Hellhound On My Trail (on me). However, I like Spanked a bit better.

Edited by iiinterstate

Wet: wet whip leather with cardamom. I was hoping for more patchouli and bourbon here. Still a lovely leather scent. Warm and slightly foodie..leather. 2nd application offers more patchouli and bourbon, so more balanced now.

drydown: warm foodie leather still. The cardamom smells similar to the cinnamon used in chimera on me. Actually, now that I think about it and smell again, this does smell like chimera with leather on me! Yum! :wub2:

Fresh on skin: *sniff* *sniff* "OH LOOK! IT'S CINNAMON!"

A few minutes later "OH LOOK! IT'S DIRTY CINNAMON!"

Then, finally, 30-40 minutes later the cinnamon dies down and the cardamom (that I recognize from Bakenako) comes out and what I'm assuming is leather smooths over the whole thing. Someone upthread said it best: it starts like a hot spanking and ends with a warm glow. I do hope the initial blast of cinnamon mellows as the bottle ages, because the dry down is some sexy stuff.

I have a sniffie of the original, but it was barely enough to dab on-skin. I loved what I could smell of it, but there wasn't enough there for me to really say how it compares with this resurrection.

That said, I love this. I wasn't sure I did when I first got it... it's VERY spicy and sharp from the bottle, and I tried a little bit and it seemed kind of one-dimensional. So I set the bottle aside to rest a bit. Now we are close to the time for it to come down, so I decided to test again and see if I need a backup. I do!

It's still very sharp sniffing from the bottle, so don't let that fool you. Do be careful with application... if I apply too much in the same location I get a cinnamon burn. But if I dab it around lightly I don't seem to get a red mark, although I can feel it stinging. I'm amused that the physical response to the oil matches the concept so well.

When this hits my skin the magic begins... it just blooms into a heady, sexy haze. The spice mingles with the leather and the patch and bourbon add depth and that heady quality. Booze notes don't usually work well on me at all, but the bourbon isn't alcoholic and making me smell like I'm on a bender, it just adds dimension and an intoxicating quality to the other notes, like that haze your senses start to get after you've had a drink or two but aren't really buzzed yet. Leather can also be quite iffy on me. Soft and worn leathers [Herr Drosselmeyer springs to mind] can work really well, but there is a leather variant that is sharp and chemical smelling that I am not a fan of at all. This one isn't as soft as the Herr, and it dances on the edge of chemical when sniffed from the bottle, but once worn it calms down and blends nicely.

Spanked res is a super sexy blend, with just a little bit of an aggressive edge to it, as you might expect. The woman wearing Spanked isn't coy or flirtatious; she steps right up and asks for what she wants with confidence. I haven't tried it on the husband, but I think it should be a very unisex blend that works equally well on men and women. I definitely plan to try it on him. :twisted: The notes this blend is comprised of do not represent any of my typical favorites, and yet it smells so amazing on me! I am definitely in love, and have two more bottles on order. ;)

I think my only complaint is that this seems to fade kind of fast on me, but that could be because I am applying so lightly. I put some on before bed last night, and when I got up this morning the leather was all that remained. I'm going to experiment with dabbing some on my bra or the inside of my collar when I wear it, and see if that makes the other notes hold on longer.

Still. Love. :wub2:

I wore this side by side with the original Spanked to compare. The two smell similar, but are really very different from each other. The original Spanked has a lot more throw and staying power and is much stronger on a sexy, dark, slightly smoky leather. It's a darker and sexier blend all around. Spanked Revisited is lighter, doesn't have much throw, and only lasts about an hour on my skin. It's also much spicier. It goes on like cinnamon red hots candies and dries down to a light, sweet spice and only a tiny hint of leather.

I really hope that this gets stronger and more leathery with age.

(Please note that I amp anything that is cinnamony - cassia, cinnamon, AND apparently cardamom to the high heavens, even though cardamom in its pod format smells nothing like cinnamon to me)

I just tried it on fresh from the decant toady again and..

Wet: Cinnamon hearts..

Dry: Cinnamon hearts, but fainter, with a hint of something else in the background.. not boozy, maybe the leather? Mental image of fuzziness.. ??

Many hours later - hint of cinnamon hearts very faint on my skin, maybe some leather and ... cinnamon hearts..

No patchouli (which I love), or bourbon, or even really leather.. and none of the cardamom scent that I know from the spice... it's just cinnamon

However! If you also amp cinnamon like me, take heart - to compare, I have a year-old imp of satyr I've been religiously trying every few months and the cinnamon dies down, however slowly. Seeing as this scent is unlikely to be revisited again anytime soon, I did order a couple of bottles, because even through that cinnamon haze, I can tell..

in some time.. THIS... has POTENTIAL. :D

I managed to squeeze in an order of this just before it got pulled, and the post shipped it to me in 4 days! I got this as a birthday present. Boy, glad I chose this! In the bottle its mostly cardamon and bourbon, with a hint of leather. On me.... This is the leather of the strap you bite on when getting a taws applied to your back end. Worn, black and sleek. This is UUNGH...! Good! Bourbon and cardamon backing it up, almost no patchulli. This is awesome. I want to do bad things to myself right now. Or better yet, go find that hottie 10+ years younger then me waiter who sang me happy birthday the other night, slather it on him and do bad things. I should have tried to obtain more!

Gorgeous, comforting, spicy coca-cola.

This is everything I wanted it to to be and more. It has fantastic staying power (put some on before bed last night and I can still smell it today!) and the throw is great too. It's not an overwhelming throw on me; instead it's warm and coaxing. I bet this will smell great on my husband too but I haven't thought to try it on him yet. Top marks for this one <3

So I finally get to see what all the fuss is about! I have not tried the original Spanked, so I can't really compare. In the bottle, this kind of reminds me of Saw-Scaled Viper, but on, it is spicy, but with cardamon rather than the cassia. As it dries a bit of leather comes out, and it ends up being spicy cardamon with only a bit of leather. I wish I got some bourbon here...So this is what the fuss is about? It's nice, but I don't think I need the two bottles that I purchased. It'll be nice in the cooler weather, and maybe it gets more special with aging? I will say that I tried a bit of each from the two bottles I purchased, and one seemed to fade much faster than the other. They both smelled the same, but one was definitely stronger. I guess all the hype made me think that this was going to be amazing, though it is quite nice, I think I'll swap my extra bottle for something that I really love.

At first this smells exactly like cinnamon schnops - After Shock (because it has a slightly sweet edge to it).

It takes a while to wear off that sharp intense cinnamon edge. Finally the leather starts to come through. Oddly enough there's no cinnamon listed in the notes. Must be the cardamom then. Odd.

After comeplete dry down and about an hour into the wear, it's a very warm soft leather. I'm not sure it's worth waiting an hour through screaming spice to get to the warm leather drydown. Because honestly, it gives me a bit of a headache.

Bottle: The cardamom in this one is strong. Mainly I smell cardamom with traces of leather and a hint of booze.

Wet: Strong, strong cardamom to the point where it kind of smells like cassis. The cardamom has considerably calmed down since I first got Spanked Revisited so that lends me hope that the other elements still have time to smooth out before the fall.

Dry: Spicy leather and booze. Surprisingly, I smell little of the patchouli in this. Cardamom is the dominant note followed by the leather and then there's an overall sense of booziness.

Throw: Moderate. Actually not nearly as strong as I anticipated.

Overall: I think it's sexy and definitely a little kinky. However, I really hope that I can further age the cardamom into submission because while I like it, I already know that the strong cardamom note will be a total turn off for my boyfriend who has an irrational hatred of cassis, which this strongly smells like to me. In the meantime I'll just wear this for my own edification.

On the skin: That is some spicy cardamom. Makes me think of baking. Mmmmmm! I get a slight hint of patchouli as well, but the cardamom completely dominates this one for me.

The spicy slap of the cardamom does smooth out a bit as time goes on, but I still can't really smell any of the other notes. At least, I can't tell if I can.

Ah! I think I can smell a leather/patchouli combination under there! It took awhile, but now I can definitely smell some leather and a hint of slightly dirty patchouli. At this stage.... I LOVE IT! This blend smells really good!

This one will be a keeper for now. I just wish I could tone down the cardamom a bit!

Oh...wow. So, I've had this bottle since the release last year, but I rarely wear it. That was due to the overwhelming OMGSPICY. I felt like I smelled like cinnamon candy. So it just sort of sat there in my box, all lonely and ignored. But today I was like, "Spicy sounds good!" And let me tell you. This has aged AMAZINGLY. Now it's mostly bourbon and leather on me, with the spice mixed in perfectly. Honestly, it has blended so well and is now more of a sweet-spicy rather than a straight and in your face spicy, which was a little off-putting. And it's much smoother now. The spices at the beginning gave it a rough sort of feeling. :thud: I love it now.

Edited by plainjean

I'd been hearing about this for so long and all the elements that usually work on me are here, but alas, they just don't work. The cardamom amps terribly for the first two hours, giving this spicy cinnamon smell, and then the leather is left behind, but it's dry and sharp. It's not a soft, sexy leather note. My bottle is aged a year, so that hasn't helped at all. Sad sad sadness. :cry2:

On wet: Cinnamon? That's not even in here! I know what cardamom smells like, but I could swear this is cinnamon. So weird.

Drydown: Cinnamon potpourri. No leather at all, which is weird since I tend to amp leather a little.

Dry: Same. I think this might be a time-of-the-month fail...will have to revisit (haha) this next week, when hopefully there will be patchouli and bourbon and not potpourri.

Spanked. A hard, smooth, leather covered paddle. A hand on the neck. A whistle through the air. A sharp impact.

Then a tingly, spicy cardamom warmth radiating out through the skin from the spot of the strike.

The swooning, reeling, drunken, boozy rush of dopamine as it surges through the brain and the body.

The flushed skin, panting breath. "Thank you sir. May I have another?"

Spanked. Yes, please.

*I may or may not have 4 bottles and two candles in this scent. A lady doesn't tell such things.

Add me to the list of those who get nothing but cinnamon or cassia from this scent. My skin's turning red where I applied it, which confirms the presence of cinnamon (I don't have this reaction to other spices, including cardamom).

I love cardamom, leather, bourbon, and patchouli, and was hoping to smell those, but this is all cinnamon - sharp, non-foody cinnamon, like chewing on cinnamon sticks. As it dries down, I get more creamy leather and patchouli coming out, but it's still faint under the cinnamon, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Don't get it at all, but I'm curious to try the aged version and see how it differs.

If you like this, try: Plunder, Bengal, Saw-Scaled Viper, Chimera

This taught me that cardamom is something I should never, ever put on my skin ever again. My skin burned and turned red where I put this on. I've never had that reaction to cinnamon blends before, so it must be the cardamom or the combo of cardamom and cinnamon. :( I sort of like the scent, but with a physical reaction like that... nope, off to swaps.

Edited by vthesiren

I remember trying my decant when it was brand new and not getting much of the leather. It was a pretty soft cuddly scent. I thought with a little aging time, the leather would be more prominent. It doesn't seem to have changed much though. It's mostly dusty cardomom and spicy cinnamon with a hint of leather when wet. Mmm there's the leather! I find it to be cuddly dusty-ish leather with spice.

Edit: The longer it's on, the dustier it gets until it's a bit too dusty for me. It's verging on giving me a headache.

Edited by brilliantcat

This.

This is the leather I have been looking for.

I grew up with horses, and spent a good deal of time in tack shops, up until I was 7, my sister was born, and my life was turned upside down. I even had my own pony (a "pony" only because he was 2 hands shy of being a horse) until I was 6, and we had to put him down due to hoof cancer. My mom even has pictures of me on horseback (being held) when I was 6 months old. To say that leather is a scent I associate with comfort, outdoors, and happier times is an understatement.

As I got older, I associated the scent of leather with other things, and it became somewhat of an aphrodesiac for me. I do love a man in a well-worn leather jacket; walking into a leather furniture store with me is almost dangerous; but that's starting to get a bit TMI ...

I have not had the pleasure of the original Spanked, and more's the pity. I first got to sample this one courtesy of the recent LE/Discontinued IMP Circular Swap. I popped open the imp, took one whiff, and knew I had to test this immediately. Leather? Absolutely. Cardamom? Yup. Not-Dirty-Hippy-Patchouli? Mmmmhmmm. I didn't get any bourbon out of this, but I suspect it's mellowing out the other scents, making them behave (or perhaps misbehave) as alcohol is wont to do.

And with my skin chemistry? This is practically sex in a bottle. Soft, warm, inviting, delicious.

Oh, but what's this? What's that minor irritation on my wrist where I applied? I normally only get that with cinnamon. It's not burning, perhaps because I tested so very little at the time, and I dismiss it. It's just a little tiny itch. It wasn't until the next day, when I'd washed with PB Soapworks Avast! soap, and then had to re-wash my arms 10 minutes later due to trying to claw them apart that I checked the note list and realized the culprit: the cardamom.

I can drink cinnamon cardamom tea - it's one of my favourite teas ever - but I can't apply either scent to my skin (some cinnamons work on me, like Chimera, who gives me no problem at all). I check the notes in other scents that have caused me problem and see that cardamom is a common note in a couple of them.

But all is NOT lost, because that is why we have the joy that are scent lockets. A small piece of felt, soaked in my this delicious scent, and I'm smelling sweet, spicy leather all day long. I suspect I'll try it on my wrists again later, but for now, this works amazingly well for me.

Seriously, all your Spanked are belong to meeeeeeeeeee! I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about a scent!