Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ResinManiac

Anthesteria Bath Oil

ANTHESTERIA BATH OIL
Anthesteria, one of the four central feasts of Dionysus, is held for three days during the month of Anthesterion-- the time of blooming. It is a celebration of the birth of spring, expressed symbolically though the ceremonial opening of the pithoi containing the previous year’s vintage. A time of joy and drunkenness, it is both a celebration of earth’s renewal and springtime’s bright passions and a festival of the dead. During the three nights of Anthesteria, the ghosts of our ancestors roam the streets. This commemoration of death and rebirth, passion and springtime was one of the few, precious moments when all were equal in the Hellenic world; during Anthesteria, man, woman, and child, free man and slave, human and spirit were all unified under the auspices of Nature’s great cycle.

Dénthis wine and Bibline grape, with honey and a touch of thyme and oregano.

Shea oil, olive oil, apricot kernel oil, fractionated coconut oil, rosehip seed, evening primrose oil, vitamin E, Acai berry oil, mel, red wine, isopropyl myristate, glycereth-7-cocoate (derived from coconut), oleth 3, and Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume blends.

I can smell that wonderful Bpal wine note when I sniff the unopened bottle, in the tub it transforms into...suckers!! Lolipops ahoy! http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/default/icon_neutral.gif I should've expected this, it's a candy sweet brew. When I lift my hand up to my face I can catch the honey more clearly. I don't smell the herbs, although I may just not recognize them right off the bat. The wine is never able to just breathe and bloom in the water it seems, I'm also surprised that the color of the liquid is clear and not red like I was expecting. This improves a lot after you've had it on out of the tub for a while, letting it breathe in fresh air makes it more balanced. All in all, suckers were not the first thing that came to mind when I thought of a Bacchanalia. 3 out of 4 stars.

Disclaimer: I use my bath oils as an after-shower moisturizer for my dry, parched skin. The texture of the oil is smooth enough to apply easily, but it soaks right into the skin without making me feel greasy. I can get dressed shortly after applying and smoothing in the oil without staining or ruining my clothing.

When applied, Anthesteria is very much a strong grape/wine scent, but not in a boozy way. For example, I'm not afraid to apply it and get behind the wheel and have to worry about being pulled over if a police officer smelled me. :lol:

I don't really detect the thyme and oregano, or even the honey, but I think they all blend in to keep the grape from being too sugar-sweet grape Kool-Aid scented.

Wine perfume lovers take note:

This is the same grape/wine note that is found in three of my favorite perfumes: Urd, Centzon Totochtin, and Makhanitis, so I am a very happy camper!:wub2: I will have to order a 2nd bottle as a backup before this leaves.

Editing on 8/6/11 to add to my original review: Whenever I wear this, I get a ton of compliments. Men and women have literally stopped me in the grocery store aisles to ask about my wonderful scent! So now I'm really regretting that I didn't buy a backup bottle.

Edited by Poenari

I expected more wine but this is very sweet grape candy to me. I'm not a fan of those scents & when I first applied it, I was really disappointed. But as it wore on (maybe an hour later?). The grape faded and I was left with a sweet skin scent. As long as it stays away from the grape candy, I like it but I'm not in love. It will be a nice bath scent I think but not a moisturizer for me.

Slightly sweet/syrupy Honeyed Grape, hint of wine, hint of Thyme on the dry down on my skin. :wub2: This is SO good...YUM. layers nicely with Urd, Snake Oil and quite a few other oils...including the one that shares the same name :lol: Can I say it again? This is SO good.