Heavenlyrabbit

Sugar Moon 2011

SUGAR MOON
No way to see him
on this moonless night ---
I lie awake longing, burning,
breasts racing fire,
heart in flames.

Sugar cane, black currant, violet musk, black orchid, gardenia, plum nectar, carrot seed, teak, strawberry, and dusky rose.

This is marvelously sexy. Deep and kind of dark.

Not that sweet though this may be because my skin chemistry rips through sweet notes quickly.

I can't distinguish the separate florals. They are a bouquet. A very nice balance between the florals and the fruits.

bottle: sweet sugar and violet!

wet: the sweetness is so delicate, not as sugary as the previous sugar moon.this is an elegant dark blend, floral without being overpowering.

dry: i'm not sure precisely what violet musk is but this reminds me of a fainter version of la befana once dry, it's like a more delicate version of the parma violet. love it!

So pretty! I agree with hkhm: it's a beautiful dark floral. A sugared dark floral, if you will. I do get the strawberry and the plum nectar, but they're not overpowering at all. Overall, it kind of reminds me of a floral Sugar Skull 2005.

Also, this violet musk? Absolutely amazing.

ETA: The drydown, several hours later, is very similar (on me) to the drydown of Berry Moon.

Edited by plainjean

1247158858_7rnTg-Ti.jpg

First sniff in the bottle says this is definitely related to the first Sugar Moon, because there is the similar burned sugar note. However, this is much lighter than the original, and there's almost a nutty tang to it. Even on my skin, the burned sugar/nutty note is there. My experience is so far from what was reported above, I wonder if my nose is playing games with me. Of course, this Lunacy only arrived today so testing it right out of the box isn't fair. So, I'll give this a bit of rest time and then try it again. Here's hoping for the best!

Edited by stellans

This is a new favorite. It has the same spun-sugar vibe as Pink Moon, but it is not as strong and sweet. It is sweet and sugary without being cloying, and the florals kick in as a faint hint. It has power and sweetness without being overwhelming (like some of the sweet scents tend to be to me). LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

The floral notes in this one have gone horribly wrong on my skin. It's not even all that sugary on me. Just floral, floral, and more floral. Sadly, no strawberry or plum on me.

Edited by angelicruin

In the Bottle: As others mentioned, the first whiff is almost identical to the original Sugar Moon- it's sweet, but not foodie, and the floral is subtle with some tang. If it had a flavor it might be a sour-sweet gumball. :yum:

Wet On skin: I find it to be the same as in the bottle.

Dry Down: There's a bit more pronounced floral in this version than in the last Sugar Moon. Which actually is very much working in it's favor. I personally am very picky about my floral notes, but this one is just beautiful.

In All: Low to medium throw with real staying power, Sugar Moon 2011 is a good cross-over season scent- it's both appraopriate as we slog through the last of winter, but I can already tell I'm really going to enjoy wearing this one come full springtime too. Also, it occurs to me if you enjoy that tart floral edge of Lady Lillith? You will absolutely *love* this new version of Sugar Moon.

Win! ;)

I was really happy to buy up a bottle of this, as it's my first Lunacy! I was interesting to see how some of these once a full moon mixes are.

Wet: That sugar is sharp! A spike of sugar with dark, dark florals. It has an unpleasant dual-nature to me: Dark and heavy as well as that pungent, sugar spike... making sinuses scream, immediately giving me a bit of a smell-induced headache! Yeah, it's going to be one of those scents for me, unfortunately. It is too hard to distinguish any flower in and of itself. It's an overwhelming dark bouquet.

Dry: Not very pleasant. I still cannot stomach it's strength and the flower mix is just as overwhelming for me now as it was wet. I cannot smell the teak or carrot seed at all, much to my disappointment. The strawberry is unusual, but I have to fight past the other dominant smells to even catch hints of the fun quirkiness there.

After a while: I can finally smell those dark currants and some of those violet musk notes on me! It's faded into a very delicious scent. I could care less about the sugar and some of the strong flowers at this point. The violet, plum, and currant settles it into a beautiful dark mix finally.

..more a very dark, floral moon than anything super sugar-sugary to me. It's too pungent for my tastes. I'd sadly equate this one to those mixes that hit me in department stores as I walk down the perfume aisle: Indistinguishably floral, spikey, and a real headache.

I find deep floral perfumes to be such a gamble and this one just didn't sink well with me, unfortunately. I think the mix is poor myself, especially when I was hoping to distinguish some of the large array of interesting ingredients used in this.

Edited by Lucius

This is my birthday moon. I want to like it SO bad. In the bottle is very sweet and floral, with a dark-ish undertone. Wet on my skin it stays that way, however once it dries, it gets a powdered soap scent which I think is the rose. =( I know I can't wear anything but tea rose ... but I tried. I'll probably keep it for nostalgia purposes.

Oh, hm. This is not what I expected. This is a very "Lush" scent. Florals, violets--I expected 'violet musk' to be like a purpley musk, not musk of a violet--carrot seed, a tiny bit of strawberry... I wouldn't say I don't like this, it's just a little too much for me. It smells like the bathtub when I'm running a Lush bath, maybe a cross between Softy, Bathos, and Harvey (minus the spearmint). I guess I'm saying I like it as an atmospheric scent, not as a perfume.

Ew. Ew, ew, ew. Sugar Moon 2011 is scorched tire in the bottle and on my skin. No strawberry, no gardenia, just pure unadulterated yuckiness. :cry2:

Sugar Moon 08 is a failure on me (sort of like watered down berry kool-aid, cheap hairspray, baby powder, and a hint of pepper - with not much throw or staying power). Thankfully, Sugar Moon 2011 is a total improvement. In fact, I think that this might be my Favorite Lunacy Scent EVER.

I'm always on the lookout for a sexy, heavy, grown-up, dark floral blend with enough sweetness to keep it interesting and wearable, and this definitely fits that description for me. I have a hard time wearing floral blends and usually find them too sharp, but the black orchid is intense and rich without being sharp or perfumey, and the violet musk is dark and sensual. There's a bit of black currant that adds a hint of dark, syrupy sweetness, and a good dose of perfect strawberry underneath the floral. It's not a candied strawberry, but smells sweet and juicy like real, ripe strawberries. Heavenly.

Juicy orchid, sensual violet musk, sweet black currant, and true ripe strawberry = gorgeous on my skin. :lovestruck:

This strikes the perfect balance between shadowy florals, dark fruits and undertones of warm musk and wood. The teak in this is does not clash with the fruits but instead compliments them and adds warmth. I love that this has sugar cane because it not only sweetens the blend just enough but gives an added depth, the same kind you get when you compare Sugar in the Raw with standard white sugar. Despite the handful of florals this is by no means one of those screeching florals that triggers sneezing but a rather enigmatic and velvety one. For anyone afraid of rose, there is really only the slightest hint of rose here, and nothing sharp or dry. On me the final drydown is musky, sweet and alluring.

Edited by Invidiana

I just got my bottle of Sugar Moon 2011 two days ago, but I was curious to see if it was significantly different from the 2008 version so I wore it yesterday. I went back and forth on SM 2008 - on the one hand, I liked the tart - sugar combination but it was really light and sometimes it smelled burnt on me, which wasn't good. The 2011 version is similar, with the star still being the sugar, but is really improved by the addition of the plum which is heavy enough to anchor the scent without being overwhelming. The plum also plays really nicely with the orchid and gardenia, making this a more interesting scent than the 2008 version. I really like this and feel like I could easily grow to love it, especially as it ages. Right now, it's a perfect intermediary between heavy "Winter" scents and "Spring-y" florals.

4/5

Wow. Way different from the original version.

I thought the first Sugar Moon smelled reedy -- kind of plant-like, like celery. Wasn't my cup of tea at all. This one's much different.

I mean, I can sorta tell that it's sugar cane in this and not like teeth-achingly sweet pink sugar or anything like that, but it doesn't smell nearly as planty as the last one did. It's not over-the-top sweet, it's a soft sweet floral.

Currant, gardenia, strawberry, and rose are generally fairly loud on me and easy to pick out in a blend, but honestly I can't single out any of them in this. Just a musky sweet floral.

It's pretty.

Sugar Moon 2011

In the imp: very similar to the 08 version-heavy brown sugar, deep rose, but this time I also smell violet.

Wet on skin: deep berries and sugar and roses. I think I smell gardenia now.

Dry on skin: whoa, the sugar in here is really intense. It smells less like fresh sugar cane juice and more like the unprocessed molasses extracted from the cane. It’s a little bit smoky and very heavy. I also smell fruit notes-mainly blackcurrant, but I also smell some plum (it’s not a deep rich plum though, but a sharper type) and tangy strawberry. The rose adds a deep velvety scent. I smell hints of other flowers, and I think they are turning bad on me-especially the gardenia. The violet musk seems to be blotted out by all the other notes.

After a while: the scent then loses that molasses scent and then goes through several stages-a sweet sugary rosy musk with a hint of tangy plum, then the gardenia mellows from that sharp and almost burnt scent to a crisp clean floral. Then the scent turns to a soapy floral musk. Not as sweet as I’d hoped for, the sugary sticky scent is gone, all I smell are the flowery notes and the sharper aspects of the fruits with a squeaky clean musk.

Verdict: I really wanted this version of Sugar Moon to love me! I liked 08 but recently it’s not been working on me so I was hoping this would, despite having troublesome notes. But it was not to be. It was everything I didn’t like much in original SM (the molasses-like/maple syrupy sugar, the weird sharp berry scent) but with extra floral notes and a weirdly soapy musk that made it a little bit less appealing. I’m sad because I have the t-shirt, but I think I’ll have to pass on the perfume because it’s not meant to be.

Is it a keeper? No, I’m afraid.

If you like this, try: Sugar Moon 08, Bitter Moon, Roputznica, Knave of Hearts, King of Hearts

Sugar Moon reminds me more to Lune Noire than its predecessor. It's a dark, sugary fruit floral. Purple in vibe. I get hints of sugar, plum, black currant and violet musk and orchid. It dries to a very sophisticated orchid, in the same vein as the Shadow Witch Orchid.

This to me is such a 'purple' scent both in feel and expression. I am not a fan of most of the elements here, but this is dark and seductive. Mmm, delicious.

Sniffing it from the bottle, I find the carrot seed to be quite overwhelming and because of that, I was almost disappointed at first. As it dries down on my skin, the florals lift dramatically and the carrot seed completely disappears - thankfully! A keeper.

At first, caramel sugar and a touch of fresh floral. Dry, still the sugar and dried fruits with a touch of floral. This is quite similar to the first Sugar Moon, and reminds me a lot of Sugar Skull with the caramel vibe. After about an hour, I don't get the caramel anymore, but it is still sweet, candied fruits. Alas, I really can't stand caramel or dried fruits, so this one is definitely not for me.

I really wanted to like this one. Gardenia and orchid are total winning notes for me, usually. In this one though, what I get is a sharp, bitter plum, a sort of sweaty rose, and the orchid is beaten into submission in the background. On me this is simply bitter, like plum wine that's gone to vinegar. I can see this working on another person's chemistry however. This is definitely a winning combination- for someone else!

This is very very floral on my skin. I was expecting more sweetness, but instead I get a lot of flowers. The teak doesn't make an appearance either, and the musk is very faint. I was hoping for more of the other notes, but unfortunately, my skin turns this to some indistinct perfumey floral.

On the skin: Smells like a sugary plum scent to me! Kinda like Sugar Plum Fairy?

After a bit, I start to smell a bit of the other notes. Can't really pick anything out specifically, but overall it is kind of a dark fruit with hints of floral (rose?). It's still sweet, but after a bit I wouldn't describe this as sugary. Wow, not what I was expecting from a scent called Sugar Moon!

This is pretty, but I don't think it is for me.

This requires a more in depth bottle/wet/dry analysis, but after I'd guess an hour or so, this blend began wafting something familiar. It struck me that it smells like my favorite artist's henna blend. It's comforting and familiar. My best guess would be to blame the carrot seed, since I've experienced nearly all the other notes in other blends.

In the bottle - A lightly sugared violet note

Wet on me - An almost smoky woodsy floral

Dry on me - It disappears completely on my skin

Overall - If it had hung around more it could have been interesting

Huh.  So the first note that hits me is a sweet tobacco, which.....apparently isn't in the perfume.  :think:    So maybe the black currant and sugarcane is giving me that dark, chewy vibe I usually associate with tobacco?  Either way, it's yummy.  :yum:  Then the violet musk starts to peek in.  This turns sweeter with a hint of berry/fruit smell.  I think I can smell the rose, but more as that "perfumey" vibe rose sometimes has rather than the actual rose smell, if that makes sense.  And I did get a quick flash of dark plum but it was very brief.  It's almost as if I'm on a ballroom floor, and different beauties are being swirled past me.  I have just enough time to glimpse them in their lovely gowns before they are whisked away.  The teak is the ballroom floor.  Just a nice grounding for all the other notes to float above.  When the dancing stops a get an interesting, dusky floral that's dark without being heavy and a dash pefumey.  Very nice.

I've had this on my radar for a while, but was hesitant to go for it since it has a few notes than can turn sour/plasticy on me, but no problems here!  Thanks to the lovely torikitty for hooking me up with a bottle.