Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lamenteuse

Couple Engaged in Lovemaking

Honey, lemongrass, black tea, white ginger, and grains.

In the bottle: Heavy lemon with a sweet cereal scent in the back.
On the skin: The grains/cereal scent comes out strong, but there's still that greenish lemon scent over it all. After it dries a bit, there's a good dose of sweetness and black tea, but the lemon scent is still really really strong. It's not a heavy scent, it's very light and pleasant.

I wore this scent last night and it really stayed strong. Most light scents disappear after a few hours, but this one clung to skin like a soft, lemon scent blanket. It'll be a great scent in the spring/summer, but for winter, it's much too citrusy.

Couple Engaged in Lovemaking - The oil is almost fluorescent yellow. It's a really fun color. Anyway, as for the scent, it's bright and crisp, very strong on the lemongrass and ginger, but the grains note smells like bitter hops and it's quite strong, giving the overall scent a weird, bitter vibe about it that just doesn't smell quite right to me whether it's in the bottle, wet on my skin, or dried down on my skin.

Honey, grains, lemongrass, and tea in the bottle, kind of made my nose wrinkle. On my skin, honey and lemongrass and ginger. Kind of makes my nose curl, still. Not quite my thing.

I really thought this one would be made of all win on me, alas, it's not. I think it's the grains that are making things wonky. They seem to overpower everything else. I can detect the other notes as a sweetness, but the grains take over and smother them. Darn, I was so excited for this one.

I was really really excited for this one. I hoped it would be the best tea scent! It seems nice in the decant. A bit on the lemongrass side and the tea isn't quite as grounded as I like, but I hoped that would change on skin. On skin this is very... lemon-y.. but not in a good way. The lemongrass is really sharp and the black tea is off. It keeps reminding me of White Rabbit which makes me wonder if the tea notes are similar at all. The grains are also rather strange. Overall the individual notes are not behaving nicely on my skin. The lemongrass is too sharp, the grains are weirdly bitter, the ginger I can't really detect, and the tea note reminds me someone of White Rabbit which was terrible on my skin. Had to scrub this one off :( How upsetting. I had such high hopes! With select skin chemistries I can imagine though that this is probably wonderful.

ETA: Come to think of this, it is probably the ginger + black tea combination that reminds me so much of White Rabbit... and completely turns me off unfortunately.

Edited by ciaobonefish

Wow, this smells REALLY foody on me. I feel like I have eaten something that smells exactly like this. In fact, this smells exactly like a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of black tea with lemon. I knew I was taking a risk with this one because I don't like super foody scents, but it was definitely interesting to try.

in the bottle: Weird. Well, grains, I take it, and something I can't quite place my finger on. I get a bit of citrus from the lemongrass and ginger too

wet on the skin: Shubby ginger, grains and a hit of lemongrass, 20 minutes in and the ginger and lemongrass has morphed into "citrus" and the grains are still there in the base. I'm not really detecting either tea or honey so far.

drydown: Like a slice of fresh bread and a cup of honeyed black tea.

The drydown is actually rather nice, if a bit too foody for me, but it takes almost 2 hours for the lemongrass to die down, and that's a little too long for me. Off to swaps.

I find this one a bit odd, but I rather like it anyway!

I have a tendency to amp lemongrass, which is keeping me from loving this blend. The tea is really bright and the ginger adds a nice bit of spice. The grains definitely remind me of oatmeal, something thick and almost foody. The honey is soft and adds a little sweetness. It puts me in mind of breakfast in an interesting way. Definitely one of the more unique blends I've tried lately, but ultimately not all that wearable for me thanks to that punch of lemongrass.

This is tons of lemongrass on me, with the honey and ginger dancing around the edges of the sour lemon. Honey + lemon almost always makes me think of cough drops, and this has an especially bitter and medicinal edge to it for me. The ginger smells fresh and zingy. Very lemony, and a little too sour/sharp/bitter for me.

bottle: ginger and lemon with tea.

wet: very gingery and lemony. not bad but very strong.

dry: as this dries, it becomes a very nice tea with ginger and lemon scent. smells warm and summery.

Oh, I wanted to love this. I really did. The honey and grain notes are so warm and comforting but...enter the lemongrass and it turns into a disaster. I can still tell the other four notes, namely the honey (because I amp honey too) and grain are delicious underneath the barrage of lemongrass but given my chemistry which power-amps lemongrass, it just bulldozes them to no avail.

ugh :( I was hoping for more emphasis on black tea and white ginger, but this is all honey, lemongrass and grains on me.. it is horrible-- totally not my thing. I agree with the reviewer who mentioned White Rabbit as well.. I get the same sour note from this one.

On a funny note. my boyfriend actually liked this one and said "mmm something smells nice, what is that?" to which I replied "I think it smells horrible.. and it's called Couples Engaged in Lovemaking... so it makes sense that it smells bad I guess" :lol:

Bottle: A lemon scone! The grain was VERY strong for me, followed by the lemongrass and honey.

Wet on Skin: Sweet, lemony, grains.. I don't get any bitterness. This is surprisingly foody to me.

Dry: I get tea, grains, and lemon. This is super foody for me and I don't really like foody scents, but I kind of dig this.

Overall: 3/5. I might buy a bottle just because it's so interesting.

Decant!

Imp: Cakey grains with an overtone of soured (rice?) wine. Oh, please don't be terribly foody.

Wet: Sour cakey smell, the same sort of doughy cake I get with all of BPAL's foody scents. Lemongrass is making a valiant effort to amp over the cake.

Drydown: Lemon-sour stale wheat bread/cake. Powerful throw of grossness - slight hint of sweat. EW. In this instance, I'm really rooting for the fact that my skin tends to amp lemon scents. PLEASE TURN THIS TO PLEDGE!!!!

Dry: Sour stale wheatbread/cake. Slight fermenting sweetness.

My rating: 1/5

In Imp: Cakey lemon and tea! This smells like sitting down to a lovely tea with a piece of lemon cake and a cup of black tea with honey.

Wet: Oh my goodness, can anyone say om nom nom? The cake note from Cake Smash, but with lemon icing. This smells exactly like the iced lemon poundcake they sell at starbucks with a bit of tea in the background.

Dry: Lemon cake! The tea stays just a background note, and it is still pretty much as it was in the imp. I'm not getting the hate for this scent - I think it's definitely not for you if you don't like foodie scents, but if you do like stuff like Cake Smash or Huesos de Santo which are its closest relatives, you are going to love this. Fab!

Edited by Whisperstilled

This one does smell like lemon cake with a splash of tea. And a drizzle of honey. I can smell the ginger, esp. on wet but then it becomes more of a 'spice' in the cake.

This is much more foodie than I anticipated. I agree with whisperstilled - this is more like Cake Smash (in the cake note) and Huesos de Santo (which was more orange cake) than what I thought. I was hoping for more tea, and less cake.

goes on like fruity pebbles. Is v. nice after several hours of wear -- sweet tea at that point -- but annoys me so much for the first hour

Smells like iced tea. I wish I got more lemongrass, 'cause I think the lemon + tea would be lovely. Alone, it's only so-so, but I might try it layered with Lemon Scented Sticky Bat.

Oh nice! I've been so delighted with this one that I purchased 2 bottles and have been bouncing around happily in the morning wearing it on a regular basis..yet I haven't reviewed it yet. What a great thing to do on a rainy spring morning.

Wet: sweet honey, vibrant lemongrass, sweet ginger, delicious black tea and cream (I think the cream idea is coming from the grains). This scent frequently makes me do a little spastic plucky jump (think Mr. Bean or an overactive kitten). It's very well blended. I think to a different nose this could smell like Crib Girls or froot loops...fortunately, that's not happening to me.

Drydown: sweet honey, grains, black tea, and slight lemongrass. Color impression is a creamy golden yellow and orange. I love it.

Lemony tea and ginger. It smells crisp, bright, and fun.

This is the sort of scent that I enjoy but for some reason never wear. I don't know why that is. Maybe because whenever I'm in the mood for a sweet, tea-ish sort of scent, I automatically go straight for the Dorian bottle. I don't like this one as much as Dorian, but it's certainly not bad at all.

Oh dear. And this one sounded so lovely too. :(

I think the lemongrass is acting up, because I'm getting this cloying scent that smells faintly of lemon, but there's something there that makes me gag. So, so, so sad. :(

Whoa! Lemongrass! This is SHARP!

I wish I got what sounds like lovely lemon cake and tea, but I do not. I get really strong lemongrass, like I've just peeled a stalk of it. It is slightly sweeter than lemongrass is, so I imagine that is the honey. I do not get tea or ginger, maybe a hint of grains, though, as this softens a bit. Still, this is pretty much lemongrass! I can't quite tie it to the name either, because this is so sharp and bright, that it just seems painful! :lol:

eta: an hour later, I sniffed my wrist and thought, what lovely sweet scent is that? Yup, the same! Now it is honey and grains, and quite lovely, and reminds me slight of dana o'shee without the creamy note. Interesting!

Edited by cuervosueno

Wet, this is dry, husky coconut with muted fruits. No coconut listed, so this is what my brain is interpreting the grains as. Dry the fruit really takes over, it kind of smells like mango to me. No mango either, must be the lemongrass. Whatever it is, it is STRONG on me, with only a bit of the sweet grains showing through. This blend is much too fruity on me, and the dry sweet grains don't seem to mesh with the lemongrass. To me anyways. Nice to try, but this one is going to swaps.