Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Dark Chocolate, Lime and Chocolate Mint

Dark chocolate, lime and chocolate mint.

This is a fresh from the box on a very cold day review, so I'll edit if anything changes.

This is yummy and candy-like. It smells like a mix of chocolate-covered candy canes and sweet lime lollipops. As it dries, the lime backs off and it stays chocolate mint. The drydown is very minty, but more like fresh mint and no longer peppermint. I love minty scents so I'm glad I bought a bottle unsniffed! :yum:

To compare this to last year's Dark Chocolate Key Lime Truffle, this (so far) is more chocolate and a different lime note.

In the bottle: smells a lot like the dark chocolate and key lime of last year (which I LOVED).

on me wet: mostly mint with just a hint of lime.

On me dry: have to let the mint burn off for a while before I could smell anything else. After that it's sweet lime with a hint of chocolate.

wet, this is a strong mint/lime -- had me more in mind of the Tokyo Stomps and Snowblinds than the Chocolate boxes, though I could still smell a hint of chocolate underneath.

dry, this is mostly chocolate (though not the heavy kind) and mint, with the barest hint of lime

Wet, this smelled so much like Tokyo Stomp that I felt it would be worth getting a bottle since I already had the other. Then the lime came into play and it just didn't work. I ran into the same problem last year with the Dark Chocolate and Key Lime. Looks like lime may be a death note for me. Also, I really like mint, so was kind of hoping that part would be stronger.

This has the same minty note from Tokyo Stomp. :yum: However....dried down there is nothing else on my skin. Just strong mint. No dark chocolate nor any lime. Complete fail on me. Sigh. :(

:yum: This reminds me of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I was worried about the lime, but I find it stays soft and works well in here, giving the blend a very refreshing feel. This is my favorite amongst the chocolates, but it sadly didn't last very long on my skin.

In the bottle: This is pure Peppermint Patty, or Andes Candies. all chocolate-peppermint, allll the time. :yum:

Wet On Skin: More of the same, with the peppermint making a stronger presence. At this point, I get no lime, just strong peppermint followed by a lighter note of dark chocolate. Which is yummy.

Dry Down: The whole thing has mellowed by this point, but I find that I'm sticking to my original assessment, which is unusual, since I'm used to a morph happening between in the bottle and dry-down. But no, this is staying pretty much choco-mint, not a lime in sight.

In All: No morph, really, except for the mellowing-out. As a result, I'd say go shead and slather this a bit or it might fade off altogether after a very short time post-application. I was looking forward to a lime note, preferably the one I find in the original Tarot: Star oil, but I get none. still, a good chocolate-peppermint scent was missing from my BPAL collection and I'm happy to have this bottle. If the lime note shows up after some aging, I'll certainly edit my review to include it, but for now, this is what stands.

:heart:

Surprisingly gorgeous! Lime and mint both tend to be rather fleeting, and the lime here is mostly just a zesty freshness floating over the chocolate and mint and is only present for a few minutes--but the mint itself is sticking around! I agree it smells a lot like mint chocolate chip ice cream or a Peppermint Patty. It's not got tons of throw but if the mint manages to stay around for more than a couple of hours I'm going to consider this one a winner, because it's really delicious.

This is best in the bottle, nice on my skin at first, and then sort of lackluster as it dries down. The bottle has an almost fizzy mint sugar and chocolatey peppermint patty smell to it, which works surprisingly well. Very sweet and cheery. On my skin, the lime instantly disappears, but the sweet chocolate and hint of mint is still nice. And then five minutes in, I'm left with nothing but clean peppermint that isn't really sweet enough for me. I wish that the chocolate and lime would stick around, but they don't. I doubt I'll even keep my decants of this year's chocolate blends.

This is nice enough but given that I have Tokyo Stomp and also How Doth the Little Crocodile, I feel I'm pretty set on minty/chocolatey scents. This smells like what's advertised: Chocolate and a huge burst of mint at first, so it feels like How Doth minus the cedar. Then as the mint settles down (it's supremely minty at first!) I can smell the lime underneath. It's not a discordant scent in any way, unlike (to me) some of the other scents that blend notes you might not think go together very well--like Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat or Tis the Voice of the Lobster. Like I said, nice, but unless you don't have a good chocolate mint scent or unless the lime really jumps out at you, this is probably worth passing on.

While this lasts, it is delicious. I can smell the peppermint on wet, with a tang of lime and a whiff of chocolate. Yes, this smells like mint chocolate chip.

And dries down to... nothing. My skin chemistry ate this one up. Literally in like five minutes. :cry2:

But the peppermint note in this scent is to die for. I wish it had stuck around...

In the bottle: Smells like an Andes mint. I was afraid of this.

Wet: Still lots of chocolate mint, but the bright crispness of the lime is trying to break through.

The dry-down: This is nothing like last year's Truffle with the key lime note. That was lovely, and was a staple of my spring and summer scents, since it was mostly the key lime note with a hint of chocolate. With this, if I sniff the air a foot away from my wrist, I get mostly chocolate with a hint of lime. Up close, it is a chocolate mint, emphasis on the mint. I'll keep the half-bottle from my decanter, though, and see what aging does.

Wet, this is dark chocolate and strong mint. It really reminds me of After Eight mints. Yummy! Dry, the chocolate is eaten up by my skin and we're left with smooth, creamy butter mint. Now it is Tokyo Stomp on me, though I think the mint is either different or stronger. I can really feel it clearing my nose and it's watering my eyes, which TS never used to do. It also doesn't go plastic like TS, though that happened when it was aged, not fresh. This is really yummy and I'm contemplating a bottle, though I'm not really a foody. I think it would be good as a lotion, after cool bath in hot sticky weather.

SINUS CLEARING! I needed that after the last scent I tried kept reminding me of ketchup :lol:

Smells like a less sugary version of Tokyo Stomp! Pretty much true to the name of the blend - chocolate, mint, a shot of sour lime.

Chocolate, mint, and lime. It is a little medicinal at first, but quickly settles down. This is cute and fun.

I ordered a bottle of this one unsniffed because I really like the listed notes on their own though I have to admit I was a little nervous about how the mint would interact with the lime. It's delicious! I never expected them to play so well together, but it's a smooth mint-spiked dark chocolate with the refreshing zing of lime that blends right in. The further it dries down, the more the chocolate comes out, and the lime settles to just a hint but is still present.

I get a lot of mint at first, the chocolate comes out after 5 minutes and lime after 10.

The notes mix very well together and I love the chocolate note as it's not too sweet on me. I'm glad I got a bottle.

This is PURE MINT OMG MINT SCREAMING MINT on me. Mint chocolate is one of my favorite smells (although I hate the taste of it), so I was very sad. Hopefully with some aging/settling the chocolate will come out more.

I get a hint of lime with the bottle, but not on my skin.

This was mainly mint from beginning to end. I got a smear of artificial chocolate the moment I applied, then toothpaste, then sugary candy canes. It's funny how specific the mint is! You can really tell the difference between the toothpaste and the candy cane stage. I never got any lime whatsoever. I prefer the ultra creamy mint in Green Tree Viper, and the aromatic chocolate & moss combo in How Doth the Little Crocodile.

This reminds me strongly of the scent of "After Eight" mints, strong dark chocolate and sweet mint, it smells fantastic but I can't see myself wearing it as it left me craving chocolate both times I tested it . Might be my nose but I can't smell the lime at all in this.

Edited by Obesa_Cantavit

Sniffed: Cold, dry, biting mint over a very deep, almost imperceptible, chocolate base. Lime is nowhere to be found.

On skin: Mint is the dominant note, green, freezing and crisp. The chocolate base is so deep and dark that I don't so much smell a chocolate note, as sense it grounding the mint and giving it a lot of depth and body, much like a picture frame supports a painting, but otherwise hangs in the background. Lime never appears, so this is primarily a showcase of pure mint upon dark chocolate. Colour impression is light mint-green upon a dark black-brown background. It's reminiscent of Tokyo Stomp and Green Tree Viper, albeit more minty. I'm also reminded of After Eight chocolate mint slices. (Glad to see other reviewers have made the same observation!)

Verdict: I was hoping to get a more distinctive dark chocolate scent (and any lime at all) from this blend, so I'm a little sad that mint is so dominant. That said, the mint here holds its scent truer than many other BPAL mint blends, so that makes up for the lack of dark chocolate. This would be a great layering scent; indeed, I've layered it with Bliss, to great success. I'll be keeping my decant after all!

In the bottle - The first hit is a creamy mint then with the lime in the background

Wet on me - An oddly powdery mint, like powdered toothpaste

Dry on me - Mostly that same powdered peppermint scent, neither the chocolate or the lime make much of an impact

Overall - I would have liked more lime and chocolate, but the mint just dominates

This is a fun little scent! When you dab it on a tiny whiff of lime jumps out but then quickly disappears. What's left behind is a delicious Thin Mints scent. It's a yummy sweet chocolate with light mint. A yummy foodie mint. Not herbal thankfully. This has lighter throw but it's so delicious! Now I want Thin Mints of course! :yum:

Chocolate minty goodness! The lime adds more depth to it. The chocolate fades, though, leaving the mint.