Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarri

Sage scents - White, Clary, and others

While I don't remember how Antony or The Witch's Garden smelled, I do know that Scales of Deprivation is a yummy white sage on me. All the other elements are there as well (not so much the vetiver or labdanum), but the sage really stands out. I should really wear it more often.

Thin, dark, and shadowed. A scent that offers no sustenance, comfort or satiety: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum.

Edited by surlygurl

On me, the sagiest sages I've found are Mabon 2010 (blackberry wine and apple with hops, English ivy, rosemary, hazel, sage, chamomile, sweetgrass, oak bark, wild nuts, and myrrh), Drink Me (cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast), and Bewitched (deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk).

Edited by plainjean

Thanks for the recs! Luckily I already have No 93 Engine and Drink Me in my To Try pile, so I'll bump those up to the head of the list. And a few more things for my wishlist.

Just a quick mod note - we had several very short threads about different types of sage. So I merged them to make searches a bit easier. Carry on, sage lovers :D

Thanks, ivyandpeony, for merging the threads! My apologies for not spotting this - my search fu is weak.

I tried No. 93 Engine yesterday, and I definitely noticed the sage, but it's hiding behind the balsam there. And on drydown it was all frankincense. I'll have to try some of the other recs here.

No problem, Captain Echhi - they really weren't dupes IMO since each person who'd started a topic was asking for a specific type of sage (white sage, clary sage, then your thread). But I figured one thread would work better since it's the same plant family, there aren't tons of scents (as opposed to notes like rose or vanilla), searches would be easier, that sort of thing.

I posted some search tips just a month or two in FAQ - here if you'd like to take a look at it & see if it's helpful. And I am always happy to help anyone who is having issues with the search engine or just wants a helping hand with a search.

I can't believe we have a thread about sage and no one has mentioned Corazon! I don't know how much is floating around these days, as it was a 2005 Oblation oil, but the description is: Glorious red musk and a halo of golden amber with a touch of wet mango, lavender, and purple sage. I think milage may vary greatly on this one, but it's almost all sage on me for the first hour or so, and then mellows out into red musk + everything else.

I tend to not only amp sage, but it turns to a weird, rubbery, old school Band-Aid scent on my skin. So I can at least tell you what blends were the sagiest on me, even if they weren't things that actually worked in the long run.

Morella was a blend that was DC'ed in 2004 but resurrected during one of the Poe series - it was definitely the sagiest thing I have ever tried. From the GC, Lear & Robin Goodfellow both had a hit (as opposed to a hint) of sage for me. Green Phoenix, Sagittarius & the original Mabon (I didn't try the 2010 version, but the notes are the same) and the GC Aeval also amped up the sage for me.

I agree with emzebel - Corazon has a really strong, true sage note too. It can be hard to find, but you never know when you're going to stumble on something.

There are blends I can wear with sage as a component, but I think it's because everything else dominates &/or there's just a tiny bit to give a dusty feel or to temper sweetness. So I'll skip those for the sake of this discussion.

Sage is one of my favorite notes! I would like to see many more scents including it, and many more strongly-sagey scents as well. Clary sage is a different plant (and scent, to my nose) but also good.

Thirding etc recs for Aeval and Bewitched; two of my favorites and have sage (both also have musks and are quite sweet and girly, with the most dominant notes for me being sweet pea and blackberry/tea, respectively). I also own a bottle of Harlequin and Columbine that I am liking more and more, as the sage and woods in it have doubled since I bought it a couple months ago...

Sage is one of my favorite notes! I would like to see many more scents including it, and many more strongly-sagey scents as well. Clary sage is a different plant (and scent, to my nose) but also good.

I'm a sage lover as well (have at least 6 different varieties in my yard, mostly natives to Western/Southwestern North America) and after a previous post on this thread caught my eye--about wearing Tenochtitlan when they feel like smelling of sage--I thought to try layering that scent with some very nice Clary Sage EO I have at home (it's about 5 years old, so very mellow and not sharp at all; I diluted it with some fractionated coconut oil before dabbing on my skin over Tenochtitlan) and OH!! :joy:

Tenochtitlan I loved at first sniff in the vial but first time I wore it it went a little granny on me midway (after about a couple hours of wear, I'd say) although the finish was still soft and lovely and no more "oil of old lady." Layering it with the Clary Sage amped up the sage notes in Tenochtitlan and carried the scent through that middle period with no trace of weirdness. Simply wonderful!

I'm surprised no one's talked about Western Diamondback here. It is very sage on me, with that intoxicating Snake Oil scent underneath. It's just gorgeous if you like your sage with a lot of sexy. ;)

Has really nobody mentioned Ava Maria Gratia Plena yet?? icon_eek.gif

A pale, delicate, truly angelic blend. A scent created to emulate Adonis' halo of beauty: fragile, distant, and radiant. Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.

I love it so much! wub2.gif

I'm surprised no one's talked about Western Diamondback here. It is very sage on me, with that intoxicating Snake Oil scent underneath. It's just gorgeous if you like your sage with a lot of sexy. ;)

Oooh, that sounds incredible! But oh! How to get my hands on WD?? Le sigh...I really need to cultivate a swap-worthy collection, methinks :lol:

Has really nobody mentioned Ava Maria Gratia Plena yet?? icon_eek.gifA pale, delicate, truly angelic blend. A scent created to emulate Adonis' halo of beauty: fragile, distant, and radiant. Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.I love it so much! wub2.gif

I've not tried that one but I'm gonna have to add it to my list! Sage with Rosewood and lemon? Seems wonderful :D

bumping this up as we've been granted with more sage lovelies!

Visions of Autumn VI - Oakmoss, lavender absolute, petitgrain, rockrose, white patchouli, and sage.

Pumpkin V - Pumpkins, pumpkin vines, and wild mushrooms with white sage, cade, sweetgrass, and vanilla-infused rosewood.

Amicitia - white sage and chaparral with sweet cedar, caramelized honey, warm fig, and carnation blossoms.

NOCHE BUENA (an older lovely) - A celebration of the Nativity: the light, uplifting incense of the Misa de Noche Buena, purple sage, and a vibrant bouquet of plumeria, chrysanthemum, tuberose, Angel's Trumpet, Mexican tiger lily, dahlia, and azucenas.