Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red musk, tobacco, red sandalwood, dried pomegranate, patchouli, dusty frankincense, and raspberry clotted over blackened sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton.

Now this this has sat over night to settle, I am doing a full slathering of this one. Oh my, is this gorgeous. As soon as I open up the bottle, the most lovely smell of raspberry, patchouli and creamy vanilla come sauntering out. This is very romantic. As I apply the lace to my skin, the sandalwood, frank and tobacco become the stars of this scent, making it deep and sexy. The vanilla is still there, although somewhat concealed by the headier notes, it continues to add a nice and creamy backdrop. I can't quite pick out the pom and the raspberry has retreated, which is a bit of a bummer, but there is a slight tartness here as a result of the dried fruit. And like others have mentioned, the red musk is quite soft right now, but given time to mature, the one is going to knock em dead. This is so amazing, I think I am in love. Definitely top five!

Red Lace

In the Bottle:

Deep, smoldering scent - I detect red musk & some little bits of vanilla

On my Skin, Wet:

RED MUSK, some sweet vanilla & a bright, cheerful patchouli

On my Skin, Dry:

Red musk, vanilla that has dried out & is no longer sweet. The patchouli has faded somewhat and turned a little dirty & moody. I can pick out a very small amount of the cotton note. it's adding a soft element to this scent.

Verdict:

a very nice Valentine scent indeed!

I think this will age wonderfully, but I am on the fence about getting a backup (the dirty patchouli is my one concern)

Perhaps letting it sit a few weeks will be helpful in making that decision :D

Red Lace smells like a sexier version of Smut with some vanilla mixed in. I don't smell raspberry or a lot of the other notes, but the others will probably come out with a little aging. It's a nice scent that would work well to wear out, but it's light enough to wear to work. Well done and really pretty.

Edited by Cheri

Wow, perfection. :wub2:

Sniffing the bottle rim, this reminds me of the cream in Underpants and Cake Smash. There's also juicy raspberry and tart pomegranate. It smells the same wet on my skin, but after drying a bit I smell faint red musk, sweet patchouli, a slight powderiness, and creamy vanilla linen.

I really love this. I did a happy dance when I smelled it on my skin. I'm definitely going to need multiples of this because it's going to age very well.

ETA four-something hours later: Vanilla sugar. SO good.

Edited by mxtine

Something about this scent makes me think of sexy red velvet cake!

In the bottle it smells like a fluffy cotton ball daubed with vanilla.

On the skin, the musks come out a little more. I am somewhat disappointed that the raspberry and pomegranate aren't a little stronger.

The red musk and red sandalwood smell wonderful. I do not get a strong patchouli note. The frankincense is just there adding a little bit of resinous warmth to the blend.

This dries down to a really nice smoky vanilla musk with a clean linen undertone.

I'm hoping the fruit notes will come out a little bit more as the perfume ages.

For now, I give it a four out of five.

When I first put this on it screams "sharp & perfumy", same as Black Lace on me. However after a minute that settles down and I'm getting a sweet sexy smell ... love the fruits and the red musk behaves. This is a winner for me (unlike Black Lace)! I'm sure I'll kick myself later for not buying two bottles. Moved to my top 10.

Just received my bottles today. Opened up one and smelt.... Nothing.

I think my nose must be overworked or else it just needs about a year or so to settle.

Think I'll put it in the back of my cupboard and forget about it for a good long while.

I don't usually do well with red musk or patchouli, however, this blend hits all the right notes on my skin. It smells sexy and enticing.The vanilla and musk really stood out for me and were so pleasant. My husband noticed it on me immediately. He is a huge fan of sandalwood, musk and frankincense and picked out those notes right away.

I decided to try it on him and it smelled amazing on him. It was amazing! This blend on him smelled so manly and just... yummy. And, he liked it too. It's one of two blends he's actually ever asked me to buy for him. Looks like I'll be making another BPAL purchase very soon!!

In the imp, Red Lace smells like a slightly fruity cake- it's moderately sweet and rather light, and pretty fantastic. I don't smell any patchouli or red musk at all, and maybe just a hint of tobacco-y cotton. Wet on my skin, it seems to immediately morph into something completely diferent from what it smells like in the imp. I smell a lot of sandalwood and the softest red musk I've ever come across. The sweetness leaves me, unfortunately, with a drier, more perfumey scent. I agree with previous reviewers that this is not nearly as heavy as I'd predicted that it would be. I still don't get much in the way of patchouli, which for me is a great blessing (I'm not a big fan). I suppose what I'm left with is sandalwood + soft red musk + the faintest hint of berry and some sweetness way back in the background. There is almost a teeny hint of anise as well, which I think must be the red musk blending with one of the other notes. I can almost compare this to a softened Smut, only this is is much kinder to me on my skin. I am definitely not in love, but it isn't a horrible disappointment, either. I do wish very much that the scent would stay true to its bottled form when I put it on my skin, but that never happens anyway. Maybe I'll try it in the scent locket. I can definitely see a connection to Black Lace, as that one is also pretty dry and perfumey on me. This is just more "red" and a bit sweeter/fruity. At this point I'd say it's a 3/5. I'll be interested in seeing how aging affects this one.

In the bottle: Very fruity red musk, with sweet vanilla cotton.

Wet on skin: Raspberry! This is the first BPAL perfume I've tried with this specific note (to my knowledge) and I was really afraid it would ruin the blend on my skin. Surprisingly I quite like it. As it slowly dries, I also get the pomegranate, blackened sugar, a bit of patchouli and resins, along with red musk.

Dry on skin: Red musk, vanilla, tobacco, just a bit of red fruits. Yes!

Final thoughts: Red Lace is good. Very good. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much throw, though it has staying power. The "throw" factor is what is keeping me from ordering more (ok, maybe I'll order just one more bottle). I much prefer Black Lace's potent throw on me (especially the original blend), but I'll keep my bottle of Red Lace for those days and nights when I need something sexy that sticks closer to the skin.

Try if you like: Black Lace, Pomegranate IV, The Infernal Lover

Ok, I got this at the will call and had sniffed it a couple times.. and then tested it like the 3rd day i had it. I was very unimpressed. The pomegranate was soo strong and just made me smell like an old-lady shower gel. I figured oh-well, should be easy to get rid of...

for some reason I gave red lace one more shot a week later.. only to have the same experience. Then, in my hazy awakenings the next morning, i remember thinking "omg.. what is that smell?! It smells amazing! who was in my bed?!" lol, it turned out to be me. It morphed into the smell I was hoping for upon reading the description. The "blackened sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton" and the red musk and sandlewood and tobacco! perfection! Now, another week later, the pomegranate and respberry are still there but they do seem to fade more quickly, and i'm not amping them as much, which means I am loving this scent. I'm guessing I would really love black lace as the pomegranate and raspberry are my least favorite notes in red lace.

I knew I would love this just from the bottle. I'm getting vanilla cotton with a dash of tart pomegranate and raspberry spice. It kind of reminds me a bit of Shalimar, or one of the other 'old fashioned' classic perfumes that never go out of style. I think there is the same spice as in Shalimar, but it's not exactly like it. The fruit is not overpowering at all, in fact, everything is very well balanced. As it dries it gets this wonderful musk, and melds even better to my skin chemistry. I'm probably going to need a back-up of this, as I find it better than Black Lace and Antique Lace put together. The color red is definitely portrayed well here, and it's my fave color, so this is definitely a win for me! :wub2:

Seems to have the same vanilla and cotton type base as black lace, but with a red fruity note on top instead of the dark musky note in black lace. I'm not a fan of fruit or berries, but I had to give this a chance because sometimes I'm really surprised by the things I end up loving. In this case though it's pretty much exactly what I expected and it's not my preferred kind of scent.

Out of last year's "Black" trio, I only ended up with a bottle of Black Heart. I hated Black Death, and found Black Lace utterly uninteresting. There's something about the combination of linen and tobacco on my skin that creates a "craft store" sort of scent that I don't dig. Fast forward a year later, I pulled out my decant of Black Lace to give it one last go before putting in the Bin From Which None Return. To my surprise, it's aged into something I really like, and of course can't easily get. The tobacco tamed down, and the vanilla came forward significantly. Grrrr.

So I pulled the trigger on Red Lace, which arrived today! :joy:

In the bottle: Lovely! Fruity, musky, a bit of vanilla. One of the prettiest BPALs I've sniffed in the bottle. :wub2:

On My Skin: Smells to me exactly like Black Heart and Black Lace had a little lovechild. Lots of red fruits, a smidge of red musk, and a thick vanillic sweetness. Mmmmm. I do still get a bit of the at "craft store" tobacco/linen combo that I mentioned above, but now I know it's likely to age out, and probably quicker than a year since it's not as prominent already. I get a fair amount of throw, we'll see how long it lasts. BH disappears on me REALLY fast, which was the only reason I didn't get another bottle of it. Oh look, it's doing a disappearing act already as I'm typing this and it's only been 30 minutes. Nooooo!

A Few Minutes Later: Wait, it's come back again, the red fruits are diminishing and it's getting sweeter... what a tease! Wow this scent is really pretty!

Final Analysis: Definitely a keeper, now I've learned my lesson about aging. I think this is going to be stupendously lovely in a year. And since BH is one of the few BPALs my husband has ever really liked, I'm guessing he'll like this one too, which is a plus. :lol:

Wow, somewhere in the pit of darkness that includes Valentine's day and Easter this scent took over a big chunk of my BPAL reality! I normally do not buy multiple bottles of LEs prefering to follow Beth's seasonal organic process and trusting that no matter how sad I am when a bottle is empty that Beth is going to provide something I will like just as much that will suit where I am at for that time period. This scent COMPELLS me. This must be part of the ongoing 'LACE' hullaballoo.

When I first apply I get a woody fruity thing that would not really have me wanting more. It is not unpleasant but there is almost a scorched sugar quality like someone is burning some brandy punch that has pomegranates cut up in it and lots of sugar. I can't even really pinpoint the change but it gets better and better minute by minute, hour by hour. The compelling part is the waft - not the spot where I placed the oil. The thing is, I have been wearing this to bed and it innundates my sleep shirt, pillows, even the cat. The lingering smell is the best sugary, soft smell ever. The smell on clothes and bedding hours later is AMAZING. Apparently this will just have to be one of life's mysteries for me. I love really strong BPAL, odd BPAL etc. Most of the notes that go bad on people do not on me and I don't normally lean much toward sugary or foodie. So this is just weird.

I have not experienced any of the other 'Lace' fragrances but seem to have fallen sway to the phenomenon. Can't explain it, but must have it.

Falling rapidly behind on reviews...gotta catch up!

Okay, Red Lace. When wet on my skin, this is all dry, slightly tart fruit lightened by the "sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton" which smells exactly how it sounds. As it dries, the tobacco appears in the middle distance, its distinctive somewhat heavy, smoky sweetness adding needed substance to the composition. It stays this way - a veil of tobacco over red fruit and vanilla cream cotton - until about an hour after drydown, upon which time the tobacco fades away, leaving this scent smelling much like it did when wet.

Overall, this would be perfect if the tobacco stuck around. As it is, it's still quite good and I'm glad I got a bottle.

I'm surprised at how fruity Red Lace is. I knew that I amped up pomegranate, and it is essentially sweet pom and raspberry, especially on wet. As it dries, I get more of the red musk and the sandalwood. And sadly, the cotton cream turns to plastic on me.

So... smells like a Barbie doll?

EPIC. SKINCHEMISTRY. FAIL.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm smelling. Everything is very well blended, though I think the tobacco and vanilla are coming out the most. I didn't like it when I first applied it, it was too dusty and stale smelling. Once the vanilla came out and the juicier notes began to show I liked it more, but it's still rather "old" smelling. Not "old lady" just...old. Very hard to describe it. Not unappealing, just not something I would normally wear.

I will likely keep my decant, but probably won't get a bottle.

Bottle: Weird. Like dusty raspberries. Or... eating berries in your aunts attic if your aunt was Miss Havisham? Definitely getting the vanilla and the cotton-y aspect. The frankincense and patchouli make it dusty.

Wet: The raspberry and pomegranate just soar on my skin. They're pretty high pitched and they are the predominant scent in the wet phase. The vanilla cotton lies close to the skin and lends a gentle, subtle sweetness. The cotton note keeps this from going to foody or childlike. The darker notes are just chilling out on their own, waiting for everything to calm down.

Dry: Forget Black Lace. Seriously. This is that beautiful, soft, wistful creamy cotton of Black Lace with juicy fruits and dark, heady woods. Where Black Lace is reserved and elegant this is more youthful and lush. Vanilla cotton very close to the skin and the patchouli and frankincense combine to provide a beautiful, borderline church incense throw. The star is the fruit, though. The pomegranate supports the raspberry and this is just a perfect lush, juicy scent. Fruity without being girlish or silly. Sexy but not sleazy. It's a really lovely, womanly scent and I adore it.

Throw: Medium.

Overall: I like Black Lace but I found the res version was heavier on the powder and I preferred the lush cognac of my lonely imp of BL original. This is a perfect use of the cottony vanilla from that scent balanced with the juicy fruit. It doesn't really feel like a sister to BL, though. More of a cousin. If anything, this is the impish little sister of Crypt Queen and seeing as how I effing LOVE Crypt Queen, that is a good thing.

I liked this a lot when I first got it, but I hate it now that it has aged. It was originally a sweet, juicy raspberry scent with smooth vanilla cream and a little bit of musk & tobacco. It was like Black Lace's hyper, outgoing little sister. I wish I'd worn it more when it was fresh. With age, the tobacco is now heavy and dominant, and I can't even really pick out the raspberry and vanilla anymore. Lots of sour, dirty smelling tobacco. I'm selling my bottles of all of the Laces, except for Black Lace (which is still musky and vanilla-y on me).

Edited by Little Bird

Red Lace

In the bottle: a caramelised raspberry and pomegranate mix.

Wet on skin: less caramelised, now more smoky, but still red and fruity.

Dry on skin: caramelised, sticky, red and tangy raspberry pie filling. It does smell blackened and clotted, though not in a bad way. It reminds me of berry pie filling that has burst out of the crust and burnt a little. Raspberry is the main note, this makes me happy, as it’s such a rare fruit note. I’m undecided about the fact that this raspberry is quite biting and snappy, but I do smell a mix of tobacco and frankincense smoke swirling around, reminds me of Interfector, which I love. This may turn out to be too rich, or may mellow into something awesome. No red musk yet, but this does also remind me of Blood Phoenix-maybe less sweet.

After a while: eventually this settles into the most amazing, incredible scent of raspberry, frankincense and vanilla musk. This is a feminine version of the Soldier, or Bloody Mary’s grown up, sexy sister. This is less like red lace to me, and more like velvet or silk. It’s so rich and textured and voluptuous. The frankincense reminds me of Lune Noire, but with the flowers replaced by lush red fruit. The raspberry is amazing-sharper and less syrupy than the black raspberry in that white chocolate truffle scent, but just as amazing. The vanilla adds just that little touch of gentle sweetness.

Verdict: after being let down by Black Lace and saddened by Antique Lace’s passing, I am so glad to smell this. I don’t see many raspberry scents and some of the really fruity ones like Akuma or Rangoon Riptide are too sharp, but this is perfection. A little like a feminine version of the Soldier. The raspberry and pomegranate are equal at first as the scent starts as a rich red fruity scent like pie filling, complete with a hint of burnt sugar, but then the raspberry asserts itself and the smoky notes and musk come out in full to make this an utterly sexy scent! The vanilla sweetens it a bit but I don’t really get much of an Antique Lace scent here, but I don’t mind, the smoky musky sexy raspberry scent is wonderful. The scent is strong, with major throw and long wear time. I’m glad I went for a bottle.

Is it a keeper? yes! I do wonder if I need another bottle…

If you like this, try: The Soldier, Crypt Queen, Dionysia, Black Lace, Blood Phoenix, MB Bloody Mary, Interfector

Here there is definitely something (as with Black Lace), which does not dissolve well with my skin, should be the note "sugar-spun

vanilla cream cotton" which is the only one I see similar.

Both two, the only thing that reached to smell is burnt chicken skin,which makes me feel sad, I loved every one of these notes. mecry.gifraspberry anything, no candy, no nothing..Bah...estupid skin chemistrymotz.gif

Wow, really? This is so much lighter than I expected. Quite honestly, any blend with red musk always gets the side-eye from me because we have a long history of not getting along so well. But, I was placing a DD order, so I figured I might as well grab some up. Thank goodness I did. This is light and cottony--and not ozone-cotton, but truly the "sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton" that was promised. I don't get much raspberry or anything else, just a sweet vanillaness. Gorgeous.

Oh my. This is (almost) perfection in a bottle!

It doesn't morph on me, so straight out of the imp, I get this sweet, smooth vanilla-cream-sugar smell, with a slight pinch of raspberry juice. The scent is made deeper by something that smells "red" to me-I assume it's the red musk.

Sadly, it fades a little fast (unless it's in my hair-then it sticks around).

I'm not sure that this would usually be considered a "manly" scent-but I don't care. I smell smexy to me, that's all that matters! icon_twisted.gif

I really like this once the dry down comes, but when I first apply this, it gives me a bit of a headache. I don't get any patchouli in this in any part of application (which is fine) but it's a strong dusty perfume-ish berry scent. I get the sandalwood, way way in the backround, and finally, once the drydown comes, it's a pleasantly sweet, powdery scent. I see why people are saying to slather because it does die out rather quickly. On the fence about it right now.