Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantasm

This delicate, spectral perfume gives rise to an eerie distortion of of the senses. It bestows an ephemeral, ghostly, and truly haunting quality to your presence. Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

(Sqeee! My first review!)

In the bottle: A sweet, light, powdery white floral. More of a teenage girl than a lady who lunches.

Wet: Smells of pine and wood, but tempered with a very quiet white floral. Without re-reading the description, I could have sworn this was an aquatic scent. I barely smell the lemon or jasmine; if anything, the green tea and neroli dominate, and form this powdery, woody, fresh scent. I close my eyes, and I'm walking quietly through the woods on a spring morning, aware of the budding flowers and growing saplings, feeling calm and sensing the energy surrounding me.

30 min later: The scent has kept quite true, but is a bit more powdery as it dries down. Soapy.

Drydown: Sniffing my wrists yields no scent at all after two hours, but the green and wood notes are still beaming from my neck.

This is the BPAL version of Bvlgari's Eau de The Vert (green tea), my signature perfume - I should have noticed they contain the same notes. A bottle of this has my name all over it.

When I opened the bottle I knew things weren't good: the jasmine hit me as -so sorry to say it- toilet air freshener. I now know to avoid jasmine, as most of my experiences have so far not been good. And no, it's not the lemon scent that makes me think of toilets, I love lemon. Jasmine doesn't work on my skin, it makes it very granny-ish.

hmmm in the vial it is lemon but w/ a metalic edge, i wonder which note causes that raection for me

wet not more matalic not but all lemon verbena

on dry down it becomes more of a floral blend w/ a lemon kicker. it isn't dark enough for me but it is beautiful and is a very light summery scent innocence comes to mind

I'm usually reaaaaaaally iffy about florals, as so many smell sharp and powdery on me. But the jasmine note in Phantasm is balanced by a strong, almost foody lemon note and undercurrents of tea, and I love it. I've never tried jasmine tea, but I suppose one could liken Phantasm to it. I'm more inclined to say jasmine-lemon candy. I never thought I'd smell a foody-floral, but this is it!

TMI ~ I may be ovulating today. Skin chemistry wackiness could ensue at any moment.

Note ~ A frimp that has been recommended to me numerous times!

Vial ~ If Pledge came out with designer lemon scents, this would be their "lemonade" attempt.

Wet ~ Cold, and definitely lemon Pledge-like.

Drying ~ It's not quite as Pledge-like, but oddly enough it does remind me of an aerosol -- it's very airy, and a much lighter scent.

Drydown ~ Spiced lemons? I think the Pledge is trying to turn into something that isn't alarming. Or, at least, is alarming in a different way.

Dry ~ I don't know what kind of lemon this is, but I'm just not that fond of it. It's staying somewhere between hours after a Pledge polish and powdered lemonade mix for me. *sigh*

Fade ~ Lighter, and less distinct; but more of a musky lemon than anything.

Final Thoughts ~ Well, fooey. This got such great raves from others. I could indeed be having a wonky skin day, though, so I'll have to try it a few more times before I really despair. But still -- foo!

Lemon, with gentle ladylike florals and whispers of tea trickled in. I don't get Pledge-y-ness, but in the tradtion of lemon scents, this doesn't last very long on my skin.

I just reviewed the Dormouse and this is very similar.....another freebie from the Lab :P

Phantasm is similar (to my nose anyway) to The Dormouse in that it is a light, fresh smelling scent but with an extra sharp note to it (I suspect that it's the lemon)I like it, but as others have said, I wish it were a little stronger and longer-lasting. Definitely pretty enough to use the imp.

LEMON!!! and then

lemon

and then lemon and jasmine

and then finally, green tea ahhh so nice

and then it's gone

GONE...

It's clean, light and fresh, but thenit's gone on me I guess my skin wanted to drink it up too fast. Darn :P

In the vial, Phantasm reminds me of lemon lollipops and green tea.

Once on, it's a very soft, sweet, almost feather-light lemon tea scent. It's so light that I literally have to press my nose against my hand to smell it. Alas, for it is lovely!

I love this scent. I didn't think I would, as it smelled *too* floral-y in the bottle for me. However, that little hint of green tea really makes a difference. It's very fresh and clean smelling. Definite thumbs up for me!

Very lemony, but not cleaning product lemony. Like fresh lemons. I also smell a hint of muskiness, which I must be imagining. This might be a good mood-lifting scent, with the citrus and jasmine. When I first put it on, I don't smell the green tea at all. Over time, the green tea comes out just a bit, but it's still very subdued.

In the vial & wet on my skin, it smells the same. Lemon & jasmine. But once it dries, the jasmine fades & the lemon remains. But the lemon is fading fast. I have a feeling this one isn't going to last past an hour or two on me. I wanted to try it because it shared ingredients with Embalming Fluid, but it's nowhere near as strong nor does it last very long.

I love this. He is like being seated a dusk at the height of summer

underneath a lemon tree with a smooth breeze that brings the

intoxicating scent of jazmín.Y luckyly I can smell this many hours in

my skin. Bottle 5ml. :P

Out of the bottle, before I can even identify the scents I'm smelling, something comes rushing out and hits me in the brain. It's sharp and biting and my head actually hurts.

Then, astonishingly, my sinuses clear. Better than Claritin or Benadryl (and I didn't even realize that I had a stuffed head). I can now smell Phantasm's lovely lemon herbiness, which is sharp and refreshing. It's lemon balm, not the lemon citrus fruit, and is clean and pure and busily clearing away all the cobwebs in my head.

Even if I didn't like this for the fragrance, I would definitely appreciate it for the effect it's having on me! I feel more awake and aware of my surroundings. Good morning!

ETA: having tried this, I can't wait to compare it to other lemon blends so that I can flesh out my reviews a bit. Yay!

Edited by Silvertree

In the bottle: Now this I like. I get the green tea and lemon verbena straight off, and it's just lovely. There's a lingering floral chocolate note (yeah WTF?) that must be something between the jasmine and the neroli. Neroli is a note that I haven't had much luck with.

Wet: Lemon with a faint floral and a nice green tea kick. This reminds me of Shanghai but with a little more umph, which is what I was looking for in Shanghai.

Dry down: Hmmm...this turns into lemon jasmine, which is actually rather pretty on me and has a nice, light, spring/summer feel to it that makes me want to buy a pretty dress and get my hair done. It might be a little too lemon for me in the long run, though, which would make me sad. I need more scents that make me want to wear dresses. It has a green quality to the background of it, but I'm not sure whether it's because of the green tea, the verbena or one of the florals.

Dry: Lemon with a little bit of jasmine as well as some green tea in the back. This is a very lush, real lemon lemon scent as opposed to the fake lemon scents that I've smelled in others things. This is something I probably could wear on a more regular basis, but I'll have to retest it to make sure it still suits me at different points.

Phantasm

In the vial it smells very lemony with a bit of a tea scent. Really, it smells like Lipton's Brisk Iced Tea or some other iced tea you might make from a powdered mix.

On it smells very lemony at first and then begins to deepen into a citronella scent. The citronella scent is slowly fading off leaving lemon tea. Still smells like a sort of powdered iced tea mix. There's a hint of a floral peeping out. I started reviewing this before I looked at the notes, now checking them I see:

This delicate, spectral perfume gives rise to an eerie distortion of of the senses. It bestows an ephemeral, ghostly, and truly haunting quality to your presence. Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

Lemon Verbena, check. That's the citronella.

Tea, yep we've got that.

Jasmine, yep I think that's you fighting your way out.

Neroli, hmm. I don't know if I would even recognize you, but I'm sure you're there.

Oh hey, there's the jasmine. This is actually pretty nice. The jasmine sweetens it and is really doing a number on the lemon verbena and keeping my hand from smelling exactly like a citronella candle. Go jasmine go! The jasmine just keeps getting stronger.

Now its all jasmine and green tea. Lovely. Just lovely. Not too strong. Its just right. This is a sweet citrussy sexy floral. I like. :P

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lemon.

In the imp: This fairly reeks of lemon Pine-Sol!

On skin, wet: Hey, I smell like a lemon drop! Bit of green tea, but mostly, lemon verbana. I wish I liked smelling like a lemon drop.

On skin, dry: Here's a shock: lemon! Bright, crisp, fresh lemon, but lemon all the same.

Conclusion: I like lemon, I really do -- just, not in a perfume. I drink lemonade by the gallon, I love lemon candy, I eat lemons like apples, but I don't want to smell like a lemon.

Edited by Aredhel

Very springy-lemony at first. Very much green tea thereafter, light and balanced. Reminds me of something--probably The Healing Garden's green tea products.

A lemony floral that would be perfect for springtime or summer. Im not sure I got the green tea but to me it is delicious...would like to have a big bottle of this for wearing in warm weather as there is something totally energizing about this scent.

In the Bottle: Strong lemon citrus.

On Skin: Smells like lemon candies. Pleasant but not something I want to smell like. I'm starting to smell some of the jasmine but its very faint.

On Drydown: Still smelling like lemon candies although I get more the feeling of being fizzy lemonade. It's fun and refreshing though.

Verdict: This is a very fun, pleasant scent. But since I don't fancy smelling like a giant lemon candy or fizzy lemonade, I think I'll send this off in its merry way. :P

I was very interested to see how Phantasm would compare to Shanghai (since Shanghai is green tea, lemon verbena, and honeysuckle - the two sounded very similar).

On me, Shanghai smells like green tea with a hint of lemon (it's one of my favorite BPAL oils <3)... Phantasm smells like lemon candies with a hint of green tea. After about an hour, all I can smell are tart lemon candies.

I don't think that I'll repurchase this one... it's just too lemony for me. Shanghai remains my favorite green tea scent. :P

In the imp:

Light clean floral lemon.

Wet:

Honeysuckle? Neroli? Jasmone? Twisted, pretty. Good for an ultra girly day. No lemon at all.

Drydown:

As I leave it on, it seems to be morphing into a very heavy old lady floral. Jasmine and green tea. This smells like Lush's Flying Fox.

Later in the day:

Holy soapy badness, batman!

Verdict: Well, the imp seems to be MIA, but if I can find it, it'll go up for swap.

I'm not good with identifying actual notes, but I'll do the best I can.

In the imp: Lemon with a hint of something floral.

Wet: Still lemony, but with a powdery smell to it. A very clean smell, without smelling like Lysol.

Dry: The lemon has faded into the background, letting the other scents come out to play. It's floral, but not so floral as to put me off.

Overall, I really liked this scent. I like cirus scents, and this one was citrusy enough without making me feel like I bathed in lemon juice. The other notes balance the lemon nicely, without becoming overpowering. I am so getting a bigger bottle of this.

I used to be infatuated by green tea scents when I was in high school. I would wear The Healing Gardens Green Tea spray and I love Elizabeth Arden’s Green Tea perfume. Then I wore it to work one day and a coworker insisted that they smelled Raid bug spray. It was me. How embarrassing! :P

Phantasm definitely smells of green tea with a wedge of lemon on my skin. It seems really sharp at first, with underlying notes of jasmine. I didn’t notice the jasmine until the dry down, it’s barely there.

This is a pretty fragrance, and though I still love green tea scents, I’m just worried that others will perceive this as bug spray. Hopefully this will smell lovely on someone else.

Edited by slugbait