Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Call for volunteers for the Scent Database!

We're looking for volunteers to help us with the scent database! As you may be aware, the scent database is what drives several key things on this forum: the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab search engine, our Price Cap Database, our Stash Manager, and soon, the Reviews Summary that will be on the top of each of the Reviews topics (replacing the currently manually edited descriptions - but far more detailed!). Keeping it up to date is something that we find to be very important, and we'd like your help in doing so!

Qualifications:

* Attention to detail

* Desire to give back to the community

Responsibilities:

* Help add scents that are missing (either ones that weren't put in initially or are brand new).

* Communicate! We'll have a PM between the volunteers & the swap mods that will need to be kept around.

* Potentially, help edit scents -- including missing information (notes, release dates), finding label images, updating scents as they switch categories or become discontinued.

Time commitment:

* Stage 1 (Completion): Bringing the database up to date. We're presently missing about 500 scents/products. Adding 5-10 scents a day would be ideal, and in my experience, that would be about 20-40 minutes once you've got your tabs/windows set up. With 5 people working on it, adding 10 scents a day each, it'll take 2-3 days to complete the database for the rest of the missing BPAL scents and another 2-3 days to add the missing BPTP items.

* Stage 2 (Maintenance): After the missing scents are added, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes an update to add all the new scents. No one person is expected to add them all, though they're welcome to if they want to! As well, periodically looking through the database, to make sure everything is up-to-date and correct would be a great thing.

Rewards:

* Our volunteers will all get a free PM box expansion to 250 PMs.

* Probably will hear about some of the other potential uses of this database :)

How to volunteer:

* Click the "Report" button of this post to volunteer! In about a week, I'll send a PM to the volunteers and we'll get started!

We have had an overwhelming number of volunteers. I'm awed by the enthusiastic response - nearly 50 people volunteered!

We only needed a handful of volunteers for Phase I (to add things), as too many people makes it hard to coordinate who's doing what. We're currently going through the applications. It'll take some time to sort through them, so it'll be a few days before we've selected our Phase I volunteers, and a few days for us to get everything set up for everyone to start working. I'm hoping to get back to everyone within a week.

You guys rock!

As some of you may have noticed, our database project is temporarily on hold due to unforeseen events! We are hugely grateful to those who volunteered, and will be contacting you as soon as we are organized again!

Thanks for your patience, and enthusiasm! :D