Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.

I'm super picky with scents and I have to admit that this is really really good. I can definitely see the Snake Charmer comparisons here for the thick rich sweet smokiness.

On me it smells like a combo of: Aged Temple Viper (champa snake oil), Snake Charmer (red musk), Schwarzer Mond (cola) and Tombstone (creamy cedary vanilla). :yum:

[edited to add]: My only complaint is that it's got MAJOR throw and lasts too long for my sensitive nose to handle it. In less than an hour I already started getting a migraine. Will keep my decant, but gonna pass on seeking a bottle.

This was alllllll red musk on me! I mean it is softer but still it's just straight up red musk. Also smelled like a furrier less sweet Snake Oil on me. It's nice but not unique enough for me to keep. Outrageous throw and lasts forever! I wish I got some of the juniper but alas no. It would have given the scent so much depth!

This is a real surprise for me. I didn't love it when it first arrived, and I thought I would be willing to hand it over to my hubby, but in the second try, a couple of weeks later, I LOVE it! On my skin, it's a version of Snake Oil that works without becoming all powder. I also get a whiff of coconut that I thought was my imagination until I remembered that massoia bark is a bit coconutty. It is definitely related to my beloved Snake Charmer, and it's awesome! :wub2:

I think I might love this. It starts out a bit too minty for my liking (I'm not a fan of mint at all) but settles into a lovely Snake Oil/Red Musk combo with just a hint of peppermint. Really lovely. I need to give this a full day wear to be sure but it may well be a keeper.

I think this may be one of my all-time favorite scents from BPAL ever!!!! It is a lot like Snake Charmer, but with the yummy champaca from Panther Moon. If you like Snake Charmer and Panther Moon, I think this will be love. :wub2:

like a number of other reviewers, i get snake oil at first- fresh snake oil, which always smells somewhat sharp to my nose. as it dries, it gets softer and fuzzier. i mostly get cocoa/woods/vanilla as it dries, which kind of makes it smell a little like boomslang. totally dry, it kind of has a dusty smell to it. this disappears after a few minutes, until it's basically snake oil with something like peach candy mixed in. i assume this comes from the massoia bark- either way, it's wonderful. i will keep this because it can only get better with age.

Edited by porcelina

This is very much like other reviewers have noted, Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, Wulric, and Boomslang. Same family, but unique in its own way. I don't really get the Mme Moriarty comparison, though, but I don't think Snake Charmer and Mme smell alike either. This is Snake Oil without the spices, Snake Charmer without the plum, Wulric without the lavender and pretty darn close to Boomslang, though not as sweet. There is also a dollop of mint in there for good measure. Quite similar to Vixen and Paduan Killer Swarm too. But enough with the comparisons, this is amazing, and I need a bottle NAOW!! :wub2:

This is very, very similar to Snake Oil on my skin, with a hint of chocolate peppermint. It's sweet, with a large hit of red musk.

This is really gorgeous - a very warm and cosy blend, but it has a touch of naughtiness about it as well.

It actually reminds me a lot of Panther Moon with the same kind of muskiness, and I get what people mean with the comparisons to Snake Oil/Snake Charmer although WILF isn't quite as sweet as SO and missing the smoky plum and coconut of SC.. but it does have the same kind of vibe.

What I get mostly from WILF is the cosiness of the fur, and the two musks. The patchouli is there, but it's quite subtle. I can't honestly say that I'm noticing the champaca, juniper berry or frangipani at all.. and I'm really only picking up on the chocolate peppermint because it's listed in the notes - if not for that, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. The addition of vanilla bean is perfect - just the right touch of sweetness - and the brown sandalwood gives a lovely earthiness to it but thankfully not the powdderiness that sandalwood sometimes develops on my skin.

For me, this is definitely hoardworthy. And as others have said, I'm sure it will age beautifully and become even more musky and snuggly :smile:

OMG THIS IS SEXXXX!!!!

**calms down** A-hem...

So I have a wolf fixation. My favorite blends include Roux-ga-Roux, Hellhound on my Trail, Loup Garou, all Wolf Moons (04, 07, 11), Hunter Moon, Coyote, and A Howl in the Darkness. Needless to say when this came up I snagged a bottle as soon as paychecks allowed.

I've actually had it for almost two weeks. Can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet.

Wet: this is musky, wild and fresh. Warm, yes, but in that "I sweat a lot outdoors, aren't I sexy?" kind of way. I want to lick this all over. Strangely, though, it's definitely unisex. The patchouli makes it green, but the musks and vanilla make it deep and delicious. I don't know what frangipani smells like, but there is definitely something lurking in there that makes this seem a bit more outdoorsy, in an "I wanna sex you under the stars" kind of way.

Drying: Now I'm getting the chocolate mint, the vanilla, all the sweetness in the note-list. This just makes it yummier though. The sandalwood is all spicy and blends with the vanilla and resins in a really gorgeous way. Besides just being drop-dead-amazing, this is a very well-crafted blend that I can see myself winding my way through for hours.

Bottom line: I need at least two backups of this. Seriously.

Oh my gosh this is horrible on me! There are reasons why I stay away from brown musks...and now I remember. I smell like a funky dog! :ack: The red musk, and black musk, and chocolate peppermint in this are gorgeous. (don't get me wrong) :wub2: But then the brown musk or whatever is warm and musky is just turning this funky. Poop funky...red musk, peppermint and then Bam! Funky poopish musk on me. *sigh* So glad I got a decant of this one...but so sad that the fuzzy, brown musk ruins it for me. :(

In the bottle: Musks, juniper berry, patchouli.

Wet on skin: Musks and the outdoors - juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, sandalwood, massoia bark, they're all coming out together now.

Dry on skin: Musks, delicious, slightly sweet, heady musks.

Final thoughts: This is good! When I first tried WILF on my skin, my nose was under the impression of smelling a plum-less Snake Charmer at times, and straight Snake Oil at others. To my nose (and on my skin), at drydown, WILF really ressemble Tombeur, though somewhat less potent, and without the rich blood musk. If I hadn't already bought a million bottles of Tombeur, I think I'd need a couple of back ups of this one, but I'll be faithful to the cheeky lady werewolf looking at me from the label and just keep her as my one and only.

Try if you like: Tombeur, Snake Charmer, Snake Oil, Panther Moon

I agree that this definitely seems to be in the family of Snake Oil/Snake Charmer. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that someone actually put Snake Oil on me instead of WILF, except this doesn't immediately turn to a weird dirty hair smell on my skin the way that Snake Oil does.

I get lots of heated, heavy red musk, sweet & creamy vanilla, and touches of sexy, dark resins. The scent goes through a phase where I'm getting hints of a cool mint (no chocolate, though) that adds a very medicinal feel to the blend for me. But then the mint disappears after fifteen minutes and is replaced with hints of a dirty, earthy patchouli and smoke that I'm really liking.

So this goes from being Snake Oil-but-better to medicinal Snake Oil to Snake Oil with a slap of patchouli and incense smoke. I like it. This also is super-strong and has tons of throw.

On me, WILF is a mix of Smut, Snake Oil and Black Temple Burlesque Troupe with a hint of mint. It starts off a little too sharp for my tastes but quickly develops this wonderful throw that is all warm, sexy, furry and musky cocoa. I think it will age wonderfully. :werewolf:

From the time I opened the bottle, all the way through application and dry-down, it was all the same:

Snake Charmer.

Yes, there *is* a choco-peppermint thing going on in here, but honestly, it comes across more as just a cold feeling upon inhale than anything I really pick up as adding to the scent. This is rich and heady, just like Snake Charmer, yet light as well- a Snake Charmer to wear in the dead of summer, maybe, when the thought of wearing actual SC is simply too much to bear.

In all: i predict this to only gain in popularity as time wears on and this scent has a chance to age.

;)

From the time I opened the bottle, all the way through application and dry-down, it was all the same:

Snake Charmer.

Yes, there *is* a choco-peppermint thing going on in here, but honestly, it comes across more as just a cold feeling upon inhale than anything I really pick up as adding to the scent. This is rich and heady, just like Snake Charmer, yet light as well- a Snake Charmer to wear in the dead of summer, maybe, when the thought of wearing actual SC is simply too much to bear.

In all: i predict this to only gain in popularity as time wears on and this scent has a chance to age.

;)

This is musky root beer on me with a hint of chocolate - it reminds me of The Anti-Saloon League when I get the sweet rootbeer/foody note - and it also just falls into the general category of the red musk scents - like Snake Charmer, Smut, and Snake Oil - but much lighter of a scent.

Basically, this is a musky scent that would be lovely to wear in the daytime.

It may just be me but this is reminding me somehow of Kyrysee! Khrysee the mint version. To the point I had to sniff them one on each hand, they're NOT the same but there is something similar there!

Okay for anyone who hasn't smelt that, it's very very sweet to my nose, sweeter than snake oil, sweeter than snake charmer, and if you haven't smelt those it's an intensely sugary woody minty patchouli-ness. But mostly SUGAR.YUM!

Try it if you like mint, if you liked Khrysee, if you like Green Tree Viper but instead of being kind of delicate framed, this has a big butt. It's quite sexy, but solid with it.

Maybe not for the delicate floral loving crowd.

In the bottle: Light herbal notes with the sweetness and red musk of snake oil in the background.

While wet: More snake oil with some sexy chocolate incense. Still something vaguely herbal or a bit of Nag Champa style floral hanging around.

Dry: Like a perfect mixture of Snake Oil, Boomslang, and Panther Moon. This is a very, very good thing! Just enough musky spice along with chocolate/vanilla goodness. Then, the Nag Champa style incensey floral keeps this from getting too heavy or sweet.

Overall: I can't stop sniffing my wrists. This is the perfect well rounded sexy blend. I could see this being very easy to wear too. 5 out of 5.

I have to admit this was an impulse buy, as I was looking for something to throw in with Sugar Moon, and then Metal Rabbit. By itself I was not attracted to all these notes. I'm not a mint, fur or juniper fan.

However, all the skin testing I am doing recently with Lupers and a big tax refund lab order, I'm remembering why you really have to take your time to get to know a scent before you judge it!

WILF is quite the morpher!! At first I get such a bit of juniper and peppermint, I am turned off. I'm thinking "Whoa, holy peppermint and juniper, this is too menthol for my tastes!" But after 15 or 20 minutes, that calms out and the other notes come through; the "fur" the musks, the patch and champaca....

And it all blends into this unusual, yummy, comforting and alluring scent. :wub2:

This miiiiight need a back up bought! I see what all the fuss is about! :werewolf: Color me converted!

To put on my skin came a familiar note,

until I discovered that is very similar to Midnight Kiss.

For me it is Midnight Kiss + Champaca, which is nice. :D

This is Snake Charmer sweetened up on my skin.

I was also reminded of Midnight Kiss upon sniffing it in the bottle.

I LOVE this blend and can see this only getting better with age!

Initially, I could detect the mint, but only as a mild menthol note, and it quickly faded.

What I really get from this is Snake Oil with a strong shot of champaca. I love this and am ordering a backup bottle right away!

Smells like a Snake Oil variant to me--mostly musk and a bit of vanilla. A little less powdery and a bit warmer, though.

Holy shit WILF is all over the place. I can't make heads or tails of it. I agree with most reviewers, uopon initial first application and the first few huffs, this is Snake Oil/Boomslang/Green Tree Viper/Snake Charmer/Khrysee??? all rolled into one.

But after a couple of minutes, the chocolate note fades into the distance, the mint cools off and it's almost like the juniper berry is on steroids. The spice at this point is unbelievable, and coupled with the musks, champaca, patchouli and sandalwood I am a little in love and little confused. Half of these notes love me and half of these notes I detest. I'll have to restest this in a few days, but so far this could be a winner.

Edited by Schmoozy

I got the sexy man-wolf. :D

I lovvve Snake Oil, and this is definitely an aged Snake Oil variant, and very close to Green Tree Viper because of the mint. It's a lot heavier than GTV. The vanilla is so sweet it's almost giving the blend a chocolate feel, but the champaca keeps it in check. This is such a WEIRD scent but I love it. I'm hoping to grab another bottle from the Lab before it's gone.