Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Kindness begets kindness. Holy hyssop, red apple, massoia bark, and pomegranate with eight different types of honey that represent the sweetness of life and new beginnings.

In the bottle: Tangy sweet honey, with a nice fruity warmth beneath.

Wet: Pom and honey. It is warmer than expected, very sweet almost like sticky candy, but with a deliciously complex aspect for something that appears so sweet.

Half an hour: Soft, incredibly beautiful honey with some wood beneath. I was afraid for the red apple note, which is sometimes too Yankee Candle for me, but it's either not present or blending in seamlessly. I hope it stays like this!

Two hours: Remarkably soft sweet honey, well balanced so it's not sugary or cloying or heady. I love this.

Five hours: Stayed true, but light. Mostly gone now. I wonder if this would be a good cosmetic scent? The early honey note is so wonderful!

I wound up acquiring several bottles of this; it is my go-to honey scent.

Unbearably sour. I have a really strong negative reaction to sour fruits - I can't eat strawberries or green apples at all (weirdly, I don't have this problem with sour citrus, and have been known to eat limes out of hand), and MGM smells like a green apple Jolly Rancher with just a smidge of honey. No good for me.

It's lovely on me :wub2: I mainly get a beeswax note, like Candles Moon, but with more sweetness and a couple of fruit notes, which make it mouthwatering. I can also smell the spice of frankincense. I put it on more than 13 hours ago, and it hasn't changed at all, except to become a deeper scent than at first.

In bottle: How did I miss this had massoia in it when I read the desc? (facepalm) Let’s see if it tries to close my throat. It smells lovely, honey sweet with hyssop and a touch of massoia in support. The apple and pomegranate both pop bright and clear out of the slightly medicinal honey. I really like it, but my throat itches, so no skin test.

Nitpicks before I get into my review:

1. This should have been released in fall for Rosh Hashanah, rather than as a Yule.

2. The translation "kindness begets kindness" really misses the mark of what 'mitzvah' means. If I were translating, I'd go for something akin to "One good deed leads to another".

That said, this is a lovely soft and mildly 'perfumey' scent, fruity and light. The eight honeys don't run cloying on this blend--it's no Fool's Tranquility--but they mellow everything out. When first applied, this one ran a bit sharp on me, and I was worried it'd be a scrubber. Something in the apple or pomegranate was tart in an offputting way, but by the time I got off the train and into the office (maybe an hour of drydown), it smoothed out wonderfully.

This is not something I'd reach for on a cold day. It's a springy scent, despite the fact that I feel it's very Rosh Hashanah-esque, putting a little extra float in my step all day.

This has aged well over the years I’ve had it. Typically I’m not an apple fan, but wet is the only time I really smell APPLE. Dry, it becomes a honeyed fruit—the platonic ideal of apple is in there somewhere, but the honey stands out most. I appreciate its softness in all aspects: this is definitely “kindness” in a bottle.

I was able to procure this bottle from Etsy (thanks Ted!!) after keeping an eye out for it since the fall. I put it on the day I received it so I realize it might change the scent profile as it settles, but here are my initial impressions. 

In the bottle: HONEY. So much wonderful, warm, slightly spicy honey.

Wet: Honey and a little bit of apple and pomegranate.

Dry: Hello Apple. Very strong apple fragrance, it does kind of smell Yankee Candle-ish. There seems to be an undercurrent of pomegranate and honey, but the apple dominates. 

It's still a nice scent, but not what I expected. Hopefully, it will settle a bit and different elements will come out in time.....