Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lorna Brigid

Ginger scents & the different types of ginger notes

Shub Niggurath is fine, but it is in the baked goods vein. I'm not looking for the baked goods and pastries kind of ginger. I'm looking for fresh ginger root just cut right here kind of ginger.

Is there a BPAL oil with a strong ginger note similar to Origins Ginger?

Like Sudha Segara, or like Mag Mell, mebbe? Point me in a direction, pretty please :)

I haven't tried Origins Ginger, but I'll give this a shot... :)

Have you tried Milk Chocolate, Coconut, Cardamom, Rum and Ginger Truffle? It's got an extremely pungent, fresh ginger smell to me (definitely not baked goods; it smells like when I grate ginger root to cook with). Very strong. Of course, it's an LE and not currently available so that might not be much help, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

If you like that bright, almost-citrusy ginger in Sudha Sugara, you should try Baobhan Sith, Kumiho and The Apothecary. Baobhan Sith is grapefruit, tea + that ginger on me. Kumiho is gingery white tea and Apothecary is the greenest of the three, a little hard for me to describe but very bright and fresh. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the Origins scent that you mentioned!

I can smell some coconut when I sniff my empty bottle, but mostly I get super strong ginger and chocolate. But if you're not a coconut fan, maybe it's best to stay away.

The Apothecary is definitely bright green and fresh. I don't remember getting a lot of ginger from it just bright, citrusy green tea, but it's been so long since I tried it (in spite of getting frimps of it twice recently) that I could be remembering wrong. I'd offer you one of my frimps, but they've already been passed on. :(

Nanshe....

It's rather strong on the ginger in my opinion... makes me go kinda queezy, because I find it to be overly strong.

Just ran across this thread and since I posted last, I acquired a bottle of Mother Ginger. The ginger in this is a very fresh-cut ginger root type of ginger on me, green and peppery. It dries down to something more on the creamy & vanilla side, but it seems like other bright ginger blends don't stay super-gingery and bright in drydown either - seems like the fresh ginger note acts kind of like a citrus note, softening and fading a little to let the other notes take over.

Also, on a mod note, I altered the title of the thread a little bit because I realized that we actually don't have a thread devoted to ginger. So feel free to continue the discussion on other types on ginger too.

I'm looking forward to trying Mother Ginger, I have Shub and this years Gingerbread Poppet already. I adore both, but Shub tends to get somewhat metallic on me after a while, and Gingerbread Poppet 2010 is pretty much my PERFECT scent, but does not last on me. At all. It's good for about 20 minutes, and then I can only smell it if I put my arm almost inside my nose.

Poking my head in to mention that 'War' has ginger in it and it's lovely. Spicy and warm and stabbity.

At least on me.

Nom.

I seem to be the odd one out on this--which I noticed in the reviews too--but I don't think Mother Ginger is fresh ginger at all. I think it is the bakery variety ginger, like gingerbread poppet, et. al.

I actually haven't found a BPAL that really does fresh ginger well to me. I do get it some in Kumiho, but even though I should have liked that (tea and ginger) it was oddly soapy/floral on me. Another one that has a touch of fresh ginger is Vixen, but it's pretty overpowered by orange blossom. I like it, but if you're not an orange blossom fan, you may not. Also The Great HeGoat has smoked ginger, and I think it smells more ginger root than bakery, but it is really quite subtle as the vetiver dominates that scent. (I love it, but again, it's not everyone's fave!)

Anyway, this conversation has made me think I might need to try Origins Ginger, as I was just thinking how much I'd like to have a true, fresh ginger root scent....

I don't suppose anyone knows a scent close to Gingermilk from Paintbox Soap? I love the soothing scent but the soap doesn't leave a lasting smell on my skin.

I have tried mother ginger and gingerbread poppet, neither really meet my needs.

Thanks!

I don't suppose anyone knows a scent close to Gingermilk from Paintbox Soap? I love the soothing scent but the soap doesn't leave a lasting smell on my skin.

I have tried mother ginger and gingerbread poppet, neither really meet my needs.

Thanks!

This is going to sound weird, but... if you can cope with frankincense, Prosperity of a Country (Frankincense, orris root, asuhi, leather, and ginger-infused cream accord) is totally the way to go. I wear that over Gingermilk all the time!

I can't believe nobody's mentioned saw-scaled viper! It is a sharp, piercing, fresh ginger that lasts even after it warms up and the other spices and SO come through. When I first opened the bottle I was scared, but once it's on it's so smooth and rich but stays fresh and GINGER!

Vixen also has ginger in it: The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli. After the first blast of the ginger it calms down into a really smooth scent, a bit like snake oil.

I'd forgotten about Saw-scaled viper, so went back to read the description. then I saw why I no longer have it anymore. Cassia! It was pretty much all cinnamon, all the time on me, and none of the lovely ginger I was looking for.

Because of this thread, I did try the Origins Ginger, which was pretty vile on me, and compared to that, I think Ginger skulls is the closest to Origins Ginger (and yes, Ginger skulls was also pretty awful on me.....those with different skin chemistry may do better with both!)

I seem to be the odd one out on this--which I noticed in the reviews too--but I don't think Mother Ginger is fresh ginger at all. I think it is the bakery variety ginger, like gingerbread poppet, et. al.

Adding my agreement to this - Mother Ginger to my nose is very cookie-ish. I enjoy it, but it doesn't really provide that fresh-cut ginger fix for me.

I've tried many ginger scents on my BPAL journey. Sudha Segara comes closest to that raw ginger tingle for me, though the creams softens it, and the whole thing refuses to last on my skin. I can't do Vixen because orange blossom hates me. Shub-Niggurath was one of my first gingery loves (somehow in the middle between fresh spice and cookies) and still one of the best. Gingerbread Poppet is good, but slightly too bakery-smelling; Saw-Scaled Viper was a big cassia-dominated disappointment; I don't really get ginger from He-Goat but love it all the same because vetiver is so good on me. Ginger Skulls was too much fruit, not enough ginger (so disappointing). Prosperity of a Country was promising, but leather's not great for me generally and I decided I was good with just an imp. Young Pine Saplings was delicious, but isn't really a raw ginger, more dried, and leans toward the cream & clove IMO.

Saw-Scaled Viper is nothing but cinnamon on me (which has it's own appeal), and the bottle of Siren I have smells musky for some strange reason.

Baobhan Sith and Kumiho are both sharp, fanged gingers. If the goal is a non-foody, non-sweet ginger, these are likely to be your best options.

I haven't gotten my hands on Mother Ginger, though I keep my eyes open on the various sites and forums, hoping.

Does anyone remember Ginger Milk from the Thymes line? They discontinued it and replaced it with Wild Ginger.

I absolutely loooved Ginger Milk. It was ginger and spicy and warm, but sexy, not at all bakery. I'm probably going to have to try all of BPAL's ginger scents now.

It's been quite a while since I've ordered any BPAL scents. Long enough that I think my preferences have changed, so I'm making a list of imps to try. Plus, I feel like the catalog has gotten ENORMOUS since I last bought anything, so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Especially with the search feature under construction. DX

I was wondering if anyone has found any scents that are similar to Dove's "Nectarine and White Ginger" spray. Or Bath and Body works' aromatherapy line "Energy: Orange Ginger" spray. The dove is a sweeter ginger smell, probably the "nectarine" in it, and reminds me of a fresh but not-too-bright burst of sunlight. The Orange Ginger spray, on the other hand, is a much bolder, deeper, and spicier ginger smell--I'm just in love with it at the moment.

In the past I've really liked Tempest. I've found that patchouli and some musks don't typically clash well with me, nor do bright floral scents. Anything that smells remotely like mainstream perfume is a firm Ick in my book. I guess I typically find more luck with slightly masculine scents, or at least those deeper kinds of scents, or more earthy, leathery smells. I'm an avid equestrian, so anything that smells of leather or hay is delicious, lol. I have read through the leather scent thread here, and I'm definitely going to order an imp or two from that recommendation thread. Otherwise, I really like rain, damp earth, black cherries, darker citrus, verbena, pine-woods (but not actual pine, haha), the smell of books.

Any thoughts?

Also, if it makes a difference for suggestions, I typically wear my scents via locket, simply because I live with people who are very sensitive.

Thanks in advance. I'm SOOO excited to get back into BPAL! =)

Edited by StarStrider

There's no shortage of blends with ginger listed as a note, but these five strike me as true ginger blends:

Shub-Niggurath (a blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices) is a warm, sweet, foody ginger... it's always reminded me a bit of peanut butter cookies, somehow. Judging by what you've said you like, I would wager that you would love Shub-Niggurath!

Young Pine Saplings (cream, clove, ginger, and honey) is also sweet, but the ginger was very strong, and it ended up being a bit too much for me to take. But, I'd still recommend giving it a try.

Paduan Killer Bees (tonka, black licorice, amber, golden sandalwood, ginger cream, bitter clove, stinging nettle, cinnamon bark, and coconut shell) is not foody at all to me, and much lighter on the ginger, but it definitely still strikes me as a ginger blend. It's becoming one of my favorites!

Gnome (an explosive blend of effervescent golden ginger and black peppercorn with sarsaparilla, gurjum balsam, nutmeg, gear lubricant, and smoke) is less sweet, very bright and crisp, and reminds me strongly of ginger ale. Also great if you want a non-foody ginger.

Goblin Cider (a dark, earthy ginger cider) smells like ginger beer to both myself and my boyfriend.

I'm thinking many people will cringe when they read this but - I'd recommend:

War (Good Omens) Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks...

she is mostly ginger on me with just a hint of spice in the beginning and the dry down is gorgeous - the patchouli, honeysuckle and musk comes out and joins the ginger and it is divine.

Entangled (Kudzu vine, raw honey, ginger cream, and gingergrass.) is my go-to ginger blend right now, and I love ginger! On me, it's somehow dry, a little green & sweet and definitely warm ginger bite all at once, like a fresh cut ginger root.

Before discovering BPAL, I swore by a little rollerbottle of White Ginger I found at Whole Foods. If my little White Ginger grew up and became sublimely sophisticated, it would be Entangled.

Also, Hi fellow equestrian! :D

Edited by kaitan

Shub-Niggurath (a blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices) is a warm, sweet, foody ginger... it's always reminded me a bit of peanut butter cookies, somehow. Judging by what you've said you like, I would wager that you would love Shub-Niggurath!

There definitely are a lot with ginger listed, which is definitely why I wanted to ask! I feel like it changes so easy in mood.

I like the sound of a few you listed, but I'm definitely interested in Shub-Niggurath! Thanks =)

Entangled (Kudzu vine, raw honey, ginger cream, and gingergrass.) is my go-to ginger blend right now, and I love ginger! On me, it's somehow dry, a little green & sweet and definitely warm ginger bite all at once, like a fresh cut ginger root.

Before discovering BPAL, I swore by a little rollerbottle of White Ginger I found at Whole Foods. If my little White Ginger grew up and became sublimely sophisticated, it would be Entangled.

Ooh, that sounds perfect! Thanks!

And now my list is at like, 8 imps. DX I'll just have to weed it down. Somehow. ><