Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

I have been away too long and found out that Hymn to Proserpine has been discontinued. :cry2: I am hoping that someone has a recommendation for a scent comparable to Hymn to Proserpine.

o.o! nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Grr Ugh and Oof have been discontinued? Is there a replacement blend? *looks hopeful* My sinus migraines are going to be a wicked pain to deal with, without my buddies. =/

Somehow I missed when Casanova got discontinued. :( Anything out there that is similarly delicious, unisex and a mix of leather and spices? I have Le Pere Fouettard, which has the lovely anise & leather mix, but I'd love something GC...

(Casanova: A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.)

Somehow I missed when Casanova got discontinued. :( Anything out there that is similarly delicious, unisex and a mix of leather and spices? I have Le Pere Fouettard, which has the lovely anise & leather mix, but I'd love something GC...

(Casanova: A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.)

Maybe Jareth or Crowley if you don't mind musk/lilac? Otherwise their notes have quite a few similarities to Casanova.

Maybe Jareth or Crowley if you don't mind musk/lilac? Otherwise their notes have quite a few similarities to Casanova.

Oooh, thank you! I have Jareth, but unfortunately it smells like a Dorian dupe on, and Dorian doesn't work particularly well for me. I'm trying to age it to see if it gets better.

Crowley, however, I never thought to try and it sounds amazing and pretty similar. I'm going to see if I can hunt down a decant... :)

Somehow I missed when Casanova got discontinued. :( Anything out there that is similarly delicious, unisex and a mix of leather and spices?

I second Crowley & would also recommend...

The Bow & Crown of Conquest:

Sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

I'm running low on my bottle! Could anyone tell me if there is a similar scent to The Witch's Repast that's GC? I've been trying to use it as few times as possible, but I would like to find something to replace it that I can still order more bottles of. It's all dark hops, night-like warmth, and grains on me.

Somehow I missed when Casanova got discontinued. :( Anything out there that is similarly delicious, unisex and a mix of leather and spices?

Thanks for the rec! I have a strong suspicion I have an imp of the Bow & Crown somewhere and that I enjoyed it a lot when I tested it.

I'm going to go dig through my imp box...

I'm running low on my bottle! Could anyone tell me if there is a similar scent to The Witch's Repast that's GC? I've been trying to use it as few times as possible, but I would like to find something to replace it that I can still order more bottles of. It's all dark hops, night-like warmth, and grains on me.

It's hoppy, but... maybe Beer from the Marsh Woman's Brewery?

I'll second the recommendation for Bow & Crown. I also really like Dee - to me, it's in a similar scent family to Casanova. It smells more spicy on my partner than it does on me, but it's a great scent either way.

Okay, so I've been desperately holding on to my last bottle of Moon Rose (I know it was discontinued quite a little while ago and I missed a major stock-up :( .. bad choice since it's the closest thing to my signature scent), which is now running dangerously low with no replacement in sight.... and I was hoping someone here might be able to help recommend me a similar GC scent that could be just similar enough. :blush:

Edit for scent description:

Moon Rose: A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

Edited by Phox

I don't know if anyone is looking for a replacement for the soon-to-be-discontinued Versailles, but just in case anyone is: I'm testing Venice today, after testing Versailles a few days ago, and they're quite similar. Not identical, but they have a number of notes in common--lemon/citrus, red rose, jasmine, and orris--and have a similar "feel."

Perhaps the Lab was trying to tell me something, because Venice was a frimp in my most recent order, which included an imp of Versailles.

Havana has been on my wish list for some time, and I didn't act quickly enough to grab a bottle when the discontinue notice went up. So I am somewhat devastated. I would like to find something similar that smells like hairspray. A deliciously complex, sort of earthy aquanet-type hairspray. I think maybe it was the snakeroot that did that, or maybe the leather. Definitely yhe tobacco was nice in it too.....though I have tried several other GC scents with leather, the only one that comes close to Havana to my nose would be The Black Rider. It's a start I guess, but it turns very vetiver-y on me (not a bad thing at all, but Havana doesn't do that on me)

Havana has been on my wish list for some time, and I didn't act quickly enough to grab a bottle when the discontinue notice went up. So I am somewhat devastated. I would like to find something similar that smells like hairspray. A deliciously complex, sort of earthy aquanet-type hairspray. I think maybe it was the snakeroot that did that, or maybe the leather. Definitely yhe tobacco was nice in it too.....though I have tried several other GC scents with leather, the only one that comes close to Havana to my nose would be The Black Rider. It's a start I guess, but it turns very vetiver-y on me (not a bad thing at all, but Havana doesn't do that on me)

I've never tried Havana, so this is going to be a really random and probably inaccurate rec, but have you ever tried Kali? The only note they have in common is tobacco, but when you mentioned hairspray I just had to bring it up. The first thing I though of when I smelled Kali was hair products: expensive, beautiful, earthy hair products. Like a really really high end salon conditioner. I think kali might be much sweeter than what you are looking for, but I just figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there.

I'm really missing Delphi. I know it wasn't a popular one, but it was in my top 3 -- such a heartening waft of greenery and mead. I used to wear it on days when I had to lift a lot of heavy things. My scent notes say: "Makes me feel mighty."

Is there anything in the current catalog that resembles it?

I'm really missing Delphi. I know it wasn't a popular one, but it was in my top 3 -- such a heartening waft of greenery and mead. I used to wear it on days when I had to lift a lot of heavy things. My scent notes say: "Makes me feel mighty."

Is there anything in the current catalog that resembles it?

I never got to smell Delphi, but a few thoughts:

Valentine of Rome - Ecclesiastical incense, Roman flora, and the fruits of martyrdom: cypress, olive blossom, frankincense, myrrh, and blood accord.

(Maybe a similar incense-y blend with some green? Lacks the honey but should still be fairly sweet. It's LE but brought back every year for Lupers, so not hard to find it floating around.)

Eros - Myrrh, lilac, and honey wine with crimson tea leaf and sweet resins.

(This has honey wine and resins; seems like it could be a close match.)

Fairy Wine - An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.

(This is one of my favorites! It's bright, fresh and sweet. It doesn't have any incense like Delphi, but it might be a good substitute.)

Lady Una - Honey musk, green tea leaf, blackberry leaf, vanilla bean, and fae spices.

(Not really boozy, but it is green, sweet and a little hazy due to the musk.)

Molly, The Reaper of Justice - White lime with lily of the valley, oudh, Himalayan cedar, nagarmotha, and tobacco for the sheen of raven feathers, and saffron, white honey, and amber for her fierceness, strength, and courage.

(No wine again, but this is a deeper mix of foresty notes with the brightness of herbs, tied together with lovely honey.)

O - Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

(I feel like this might be a good base for what you're after if you layered it with something greener? Maybe like Mage?)

The way Elbow described the scent makes me think more along the lines of Roadhouse. "Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness."

To me that scent is the greenery over a slight warm booziness. It's wonderful!

By the way, once I saw this thread was bumped, I was so afraid some scents had been DCed. :thud:

I have about half a bottle left of Tempest, but would like to know some similar scents. I have an imp of Hurricane, but it isn't one of my favorites - it's like spicy baby powder to me, if that makes sense!

Some of the reviews for Tempest compare it to Lightning and Jolly Roger. Have you tried either of those?

I have not! Lightning does sound like it may be the closest. Jolly Roger has the leather and rum, so it might be different in a good way. Thank you!