Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

I have likewise fallen under Hamadryad's spell! I love the woody-spicy smell of it. I got Hesperides in the same batch and I'm going to try layering them, since Hesperides was just a little too fruity by itself.

I've had good luck with Loup Garou, and Cathode (which on me has a juniper-green sort of smell) but I don't know how you feel about evergreen scents :P

I love Hamadryad (cinnamon goodness!) but Hesperides was all caramel apples on me! Also nice, just not very similar. But some people say they get apples from Hamadryad, so perhaps I'm the odd one.

Geek is also great for spicy-woodsy. Dublin is another.

I love Hamadryad, but Hesperides - though pretty - was an apple pastry on me. Dublin would probably be up your alley, and possibly Vinland.

If you also like evergreen-forest scents, I highly recommend Nocnitsa.

Hamadryad is in my top five, and I'm always surprised to see folks saying that they smell apple in it. I just get the cinnamony wood. Now Hesperides was another story, it was too apple-y for me. I often wonder if people have them mixed up, cause apple? In Hamadryad? I've just never caught it.

I often wonder if people have them mixed up, cause apple? In Hamadryad? I've just never caught it.

I wonderend myself because I'm one of the people who gets apples in Hamadryad, but there is no cinnamon in the Hesperides. My apple-y Hamadryad is also dominated by dry cinnamon, so I don't think there's a mix up and it's just body chemistry.

I'd also second Vinland as a mossy, woody scent.

Here is sort of an off-the-wall suggestion, but I really like Hamadryad as well:

Delphi

I'm still pretty new to all this, so I'm not real familiar with the catalog yet, but Delphi has the same kind of slightly non-flowery sweet smell combining with a woodsy smell. So, it's different, but sort of the same, I guess :P

Anyway, you might want to check it out :D

Hamadryad was wierd with my chemistry. It smelled like cotton candy with a bit of leaves underneath. I was hoping for a softer more femenine foresty type blend. Thats what Dublin is for me, mossy, woody, and softly foresty (softer than my other foresty blends at anyrate, but I like smelling like an evergreen tree). It's gorgeous, and looking at what you like about Hamadryad, you might like it.

I have received a lot of imps last week and Hamadryad is one of them -- I think I am in love!

I heard that Hesperides is in that family of mossy, dryad-like scents. I think I will order 5ml each of Hamdryad and Hesperides. What else would interest me?

I'll second Silk Road, as it has a similar spicy and woody feel (to me).

I'm also in love with hamadryad (in case my icons don't give it away). I also like yggdrasil for a woodsy scent (lighter and more summery than hamadryad, but no cinnamon.)

And if you like yggdrasil, i was recently told to try grandmother of ghosts--they said it was like a sweeter version of yggdrasil, though i've not tried it yet.

Also, if you do like cinnamon of the non-candy type (which i assume you do if you like hamadryad), you might wanna give faustus a spin. Its got deep cinnamon and frankincense (instead of wood like in hamadryad). Its darker, less sweet and more masculine than hamadryad, but its delicious. I'm a girl and i like it anyway. :P

I don't know if this has been mentioned, because 19 pages, whoa! But I'm finding Vinland and Glasgow to be very similar, especially in the drydown. Wet, Glasgow is sweeter, more berries, while Vinland is its coniferous cousin. Dry though, they're virtually identical on me - I had to try one on each wrist to decide which I wanted to keep. Glasgow I think has more throw, while Vinland is more of a skin scent.

I am near the end of my bottle of Corazone. After searching through all the "similar to..." posts, can someone please suggest a similar or nearly identical bpal scent (preferably catalog, but anything please!) :P Thanks!

It's not really THAT similar, but the only catalogue blend that shares a mango note with Corazon is Kuang Shi:

Limited Edition Corazon Proceeds go to Safe Haven For Donkeys in the Holy Land. The scent of divine mercy, pulsating and throbbing through the heart of every living creature. Glorious red musk and a halo of golden amber with a touch of wet mango, lavender, and purple sage.

Kuang Shi Bust out the dzang dzi! This scent honors the zombies of Chinese lore. Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

no amber or rich red musk I'm afraid, this blend goes in a different direction - more dry (white musk, white sandalwood) and citrus (mandarin orange) but still has lots of juicy mango...

My DH just informed me that Oisin is his favorite scent ever, and he needs more. ACK!

So, I have a sample of Dublin coming - but any other subs? I smells like heaven on him, so I'd like to keep him in it!

My DH just informed me that Oisin is his favorite scent ever, and he needs more. ACK!

So, I have a sample of Dublin coming - but any other subs? I smells like heaven on him, so I'd like to keep him in it!

You might try Vechernyaya! :D

I second the Vechernyaya recommendation. I immediately thought of Oisin when I tried it and smelled that masculine white musk that is just too masculine for me to wear. I bet it would smell awesome on a guy, but alas, it's a miracle I've gotten mine to even use decent soap. Fragrance just ain't gonna happen. :P

If you like 'Venus', give 'Pride' a sniff- I do believe the main Rose note in each (Moroccan rose) is the same, or very similar.

I also suspect this is the same rose that tantalizes me in 'Seance'- when I first fell in love with Seance I was nursing, and my body chemistry amped the rose and softened the woods slightly. Now that my son is weaned I've been missing the strong rose element- I'm going to try layering 'Pride' and 'Seance' after I shower!

I think Jester has a very similar juicy/fruity feel to Swank.

Hi, I have been hoarding my sample of Bruja for a while now, wearing it only on special occasions because it apparently is no longer available. :P

I would love recommendations for oils that are exactly, kinda, I'll even settle for slightly, similar to my beloved BRUJA. :D

Or, or, maybe the name was changed?? Could it still be available, but under a new alias? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

The closest scent I know of to Bruja is Dragon's Eye. It's not an exact match, but to me they're similar in that they're both sweet resins + lilac. Lilac is a pretty distinctive scent, so that might be what you want to look for!

I find Chimera to be similar to Bruja... only with honeysuckle instead of lilac. You might want to give it a try. It's not quite the same, but it's nice.

I lurve the lamentedly discontinued Noir - and it smells wonderful in a way that I would never expected the notes in it to smell; elegant, sophisticated, seductive, grown-up.

What are people's thoughts on the closest match in the catalogue?

This is kind of a desperate plea...is there anything in the catalog currently that is similar to my beloved Noir? I am starting to run low and it really is my BPAL signature scent.