Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

The Lilac Wood

THE LILAC WOOD
It was always spring in her forest, because she lived there, and she wandered all day among the great beech trees, keeping watch over the animals that lived in the ground and under bushes, in nests and caves, earths and treetops. Generation after generation, wolves and rabbits alike, they hunted and loved and had children and died, and as the unicorn did none of these things, she never grew tired of watching them.

Ageless trees, everblooming flowers, brilliant grass, and soft shadows.

imp: sweet, watery grass.

wet: just lovely. grassy (soft, not sharp) and floral but in the gentlest way possible. this smells peaceful.

dry: i didn't expect to like this one as much as i do, it's wet greenery and soft new grass.

In the imp: bright, wet grass with a hint of lilac

On wet: Lilac like WOAH! Really...I get lots of Lilac and freshly snapped twigs!

a true lilac, not icky plastic lilac)

Dry: The Lilac has retreated a bit, and the green-ness has really amped on me.

My boyfriend loved the Proto of this, and I expected him to love this on me...not so much. Oh well! It's a very green / lilac scent, just as it should be! Awesome!

This is a very fresh, green scent that instantly transports me back to my childhood, when the lilacs bloomed in our front yard. It's gorgeous and smells like fresh, green lilacs the way that Rose Red is a fresh green rose. Not perfumey or soapy at all the way that some florals can be, but just pure essence of the flower itself.

In the imp: Lilac! lots an lots o lilac!Nothin else I can find.

A few moments after hitting skin, fresh new growth of trees, flowers and grass poke their way through. Somehow it manages to be fresh yet feminine and floral yet spicy in a green and floral way. Reminds me of lavendar but it's not. That kind of herbal-spicy floral. Delicate yet not too weak. Maybe that's some mosses? I'm not very good with individual notes yet, not by a long shot.

It's got a little bit of high-pitched white/floral/powdery feeling to it later, but very subtly so it's not a bad thing.

Although I'm not sure it's 'me' enough to order a bottle (got this from the 'horn pack' of imps)I will certainly keep and enjoy what I have, and it's really very well done.

The lilac wood is not a perfume-y sort of lilac--it's very fresh, like you've stepped into a meadow full of blooming flowers. There are definitely fresh green leaves in the background, grassy scents, maybe a cool breeze; it very much evokes the feeling of taking a long stroll outdoors on a cool day. It's still a very light scent, but quite lovely, and a lot more delicate than I was expecting. It surprised me how much I liked it and, while I may not need a whole bottle, I can definitely see myself pulling out a decant for certain occasions.

Again, could've been awesome, but the trees and grass ganged up on the florals and made it smell like my personal allergy hell. Urgh.

Alas this just ends up being too grassy for me. Wet it was like straight-up grass clippings, but soft florals (definitely with lilac in there) and a bit of soft musk so the promise of that made me give it a chance. After a couple of minutes this does a total turnaround. Now the grass settles down and is the soft, pleasant scent you’d associate with a green field on a summer’s day rather than a pile of grass clippings. It provides a base for the real stars, the lilac, florals and the Lab’s gorgeous white musk. If I’m picking this out correctly there is even a little bit of that lovely oak note that is very prominent in The Ninth Cage. It also has a bit of a "clean" feeling which I really like. I think it’s going to age beautifully, and there probably will be a bottle in my future.

Edited by Invidiana

The Lilac Wood – When first applied, this is green and grassy like whoa! As it dries down, it becomes much gentler and lovelier. The greenery settles down significantly, and while it’s still pretty strong, it backs up enough to allow the other notes to come through. The lilac on me isn’t very strong at all. In fact, it’s fleeting and hard to pin down. There’s definitely a soapy edge to the floral note(s?), which never turns fully soapy on me, but keeps threatening to. There’s a warmth to the scent that a previous reviewer noted as oak, and I’m inclined to agree with her, as on me, oak is less like a typical wood scent and more of a pretty warm scent. And then there are the “soft shadows” which the same previous reviewer noted as white musk. I am not sure it’s white musk, as that’s a note my nose has never been able to distinguish, but there’s definitely a soft musk note, whether it’s white or some other type of musk; it’s sweet, soft, and very pretty. Overall, this is a lovely scent after dry-down, but still too grassy for my personal preferences.

Grassy and lots of lilac, with a hint of soft woods and a light musk. This does go a little soapy on my skin, but it's not screaming at me.

In the bottle: Fresh, sweet lilac and spring grass. I don't mean *perfume* that smells like these things. i mean when I close my eyes, it really, honestly smells that way. :thud:

Wet On Skin: The green grass is taking a bit more of a front seat at this point with the lilac bringing up the rear.

Dry down: the lilac has made a comeback. However, this should not be interpreted as being strong or bossy or overpowering, because it's not in the least. But there is no mistaking it: this is lilac, all the way.

In all: light to medium throw, a gentle but determined floral. I personally only like florals on a very, very rare and particular occasion. But when I smelled how this scent bloomed on my skin, there was no question: I HAD to buy a bottle. I know that I will mix this with some of the Violet based BPALs I have, for wearing in these darker months, and come springtime, I'll be happy to wear it all on it's own.

:wub2:

In the bottle, this reminds me of Garden Path with Chickens. It's like sweet, heavy, slightly powdery floral and cool green grass with a bit of an herbal tone to it. I don't think that it really smells like lilacs, other than that the greenery has a bit of that cool, breezy sweetness to it that's reminiscent of lilac. The floral part doesn't smell like lilac to me, if that makes sense.

The Lilac Wood doesn't really shift on my skin at all. It's strong and stays the same from start to finish (lasting about 8 hours pretty strongly on me) - heavy, powdery, sweet floral tone with hints of green grass and herbs. It's actually a bit cloying on me, and I'm sad that it doesn't really smell of lilacs.

Sort of a cool toned version of Garden Path with Chickens...

Edited by Little Bird

Lilac, greenery, and fresh. This is a really lovely scent. I've always loved the scent of lilacs but... Oddly enough, I don't like this on me! I really like it in the imp, but I can't see myself wearing it! So odd considering how fond I am of the flower. My mother really liked this one a lot too, so I gave it to her. My mom and I have very similar skin chemistry so it smelled on her the way it did on me. The lilac really came out on the both of us with the greenery gently wafting around in the background.

Fresh green grass, soft musk maybe?, and something that smells like crocus and lily of the valley? It's hard to tell what flowers are in here because of the green grass note. Nice, crisp, saving for a moment when I need to remember spring.

Lots of green grass at first that gives way to soft, creamy florals. Not getting a wood note from the trees, but that may be part of the green. A lovely, soft scent! :wub2:

I really like this one, and I'm glad I got a bottle! It's a beautiful, evocative scenery of fresh blooming lilacs and grasses. As it dries I get a touch of soft musk. I know I will be wearing this one a lot come Spring. :wub2:

On, wet, this is WOAH SOAP. It's sharp and offensive and not nice at all.

As it dries, this settles into a very fresh, pretty scent. Lilac is the dominant note, followed by cool grasses, and as someone else mentioned, freshly broken twigs. The kind that are green inside.

Unfortunately, its exactly the type of scent that gives me a headache, even though it's so pretty.

If you're looking for a cool floral slightly aquatic scent, this is for you. It smells like a fresh summer morning.

This smells to me like a lilac version of Host of Air, so some of the everblooming flowers are definitely lilies. Sadly, I get the lilac on most when wet, and then the lilies dominate everything on the drydown at which point, ti smells like a DEAD ringer for Host of Air on me.

Which makes me happy, so when my HoA runs out, I will pick up a lilac-tinged HoA in the form of Lilac Wood. Success!

:thud: This is beyond beautiful. In the imp, lilac...like WOAH, and a little sharp green grass. I also think I catch a hint of gardenia, a whiter, sweeter floral under the lilac.

Wet on me: LILAC. Screaming amping lilac, the real deal not a perfume interpretation of it. Also beneath it more grass.

Dry down: On my wrists, the lilac stays dominant. In the crook of my arm it's fresh cut grass with a hint of meadow flowers. Big throw, long last. I think this is my favorite BPAL floral yet. The only thing making me hesitant to commit to a bottle is how infrequently I crave wearing a pretty, feminine floral, but damn. 5/5 for my skin chemistry.

The Lilac Wood is very evocative: warming air filled with lilacs and spring sap when you scape back new bark. It isn't perfumey, just natural flowers and plants. The sap (birch bark?) gives it a bit of a sharp bite to round out the flowers and grass. It is very fresh, very pretty, and very not me.

Edited by Altaira

this is a very nostalgic scent- like big, blooming lilac bushes and wet green grass in our yard when i was a kid. this is a very natural, fresh, green kind of scent- it is not a perfumey floral at all. very nice.

I love this scent! At first the only LU scent that really made me say "I NEED a bottle of this!" was Arachne of Lydia, but after testing The Lilac Wood the second time, then the third...and so on and so forth I realize I have to have a bottle of this as well. It's soft and comforting...a nice scent to fall asleep to. It just makes me content and peaceful to have it on. Lilac is my favorite floral scent, this blend is everything I could want it to be.

ADDED Feb. 24:

This is really really pretty, and lilac is maybe my favorite flower scent ever.

Same here! This scent is just plain comforting to me. It's all the good soft things of my childhood at my Grandma's house, and just evokes the mysterious and lovely forest of the Unicorn, just as it should.

In the week leading up to my period, The Lilac Wood is the same dry or wet: equal parts flowery and green. The rest of the month, the flowers dry up and leave me with a sharp, almost spicy greenery. Unless I'm in the mood for smelling like yard work I'll probably save this one for my body's pollinating days.

Wow this needs more love and reviews. This is a gorgeous gorgeous lilac floral. Its almost a pure lilac, but very outdoorsy, rather than a spray of lilac air freshener. This is really really pretty, and lilac is maybe my favorite flower scent ever.

There might be jsut a bit of grass with this, maybe wood underneath, I get the coolness that suggests shadows. But this isn't a complicated blend. I mostly get cool lilac =)

Wet, this smells like smushed weeds, which I'm guessing is the grass. The lilac comes out quickly, and to me is quite fake smelling, though it is quite faint. This is quite fresh smelling to me, the grass is dominating here, me thinks. I kind of wish the woods came out, it's just all grass and a bit of fake lilac.

Edited by milo

Flowering trees. Pretty flowers, spring grass, and tree bark. It's not perfume-y at all, really, reminds me of the scent of school campus when the flowering trees are in full bloom, as if Beth managed to pull that scent out of the air and bottle it. It's absolutely wonderful.