Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Iceblink

Lick It Vigorously

What else could possibly be more lickable at Yuletide? This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared.

So does anyone else keep imagining Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter saying "I shall lick it--VIGOROUSLY!" when they think of this blend?
OK, background--I've tried the past three iterations of Lick It, and I *love* the minty freshness of all of them. They feel so cooling and invigorating on the skin and really perk you up in the morning. The problem's always been that they are gone in 10 minutes, leaving NO trace behind. I always thought I should have a bottle for aromatherapeutic purposes but never got around to it, and this year, I didn't want Beaver Moon to travel alone, so I bit the bullet and bought this unsniffed.
Wet, it's that same wonderful peppermint--I'm instantly wide awake! Love it. As it dries, the sugary, candy note comes out more and this really does smell like a candy cane. Never goes toothpaste on me. AND this year--I've had this one for over an hour now and I CAN STILL SMELL IT. A new record! I'm very pleased. This will be great for dark winter mornings (and hot summer afternoons, for that matter).

I had a horrid experience with this. Lick it Vigorously just about killed me. The strength of Peppermint is a lot like sucking on a mouthful of Altoid peppermints. It stung my nose, my arm and wrist where I'd applied a tiny bit, and my boyfriend hated it too. I wear minty smells all the time so this was a huge let down. I love my other Lick It scents and will treasure them but the strength of this one was a complete fail for me.

=( There's always next year?

I love the smell of this! I can see where Marblemeadow gets the impression of altoids; that's exactly what it's like to me if I sniff right over where I applied it. However, if I just let it waft around me and don't smell it directly, I pick up this beautiful, sugary peppermint smell. I'll tell you, this has some throw! I don't usually get wafts off of my wrist while I'm testing things out, but I could definitely smell this with my arms at my side. It is so beautiful, but I can't wear it. This is a strong oil and it burned on my skin. I think I'm going to either have to invest in a scent locket or make a perfume spray out of this because I do love it and want to use it, but I don't like that burning feeling too much. :lol:

This smells exactly like a peppermint candy cane in my decant. It reminds me of a little girl when I would help my grandma decorate her Christmas tree with candy canes, and she would have both the traditional cane shape and a wreath-shaped ones too. I also think about how my mom gives me a peppermint candy cane every year. Whoa, it's really minty wet! Sniffing the top of my hand up close, my nose strings from the potency of the peppermint. This is so invigorating and refreshing. Although I love mint, I have never really worn any perfumes with mint in it, so as much as I like this, I'm not sure how often I would reach for my bottle if I were to purchase one.

This is a really good one for me to try, as I am all stuffed up from a head cold. Immediately upon application, my nose is cleared with a strong peppermint. This gets stronger as it dries, and I can even feel it in my eyes, my wrists are slightly burning as well. This incarnation is less sweet and more strong than others. It is like a Fisherman's Friend, only in peppermint. I love the strength of the peppermint in this blend, but not sure if I want to go around smelling like a candycane on steroids. Oh, and I licked my wrists, (very lightly) :blush: and I could taste a teeny bit of peppermint, and experienced the tingly 'fresh' feeling. I will definitely use up my sniffie for the rest of this head cold, and may hunt down a decant. I imagine this would be great in warmer weather.

Hello peppermint! This seems to be the strongest mint of the six Lick It scents so far. It also has lots of sugar, but not much vanilla. Thankfully, its lacking that weird metallic note I got from last year's Lick It Till its Sticky, and it doesn't have skin musk like Lick It Like You Mean It. Its closest to Lick It and Lick It Again but with extra mint. I love peppermint scents, so I love this so far!

Edited by Shollin

My favorite version of Lick It is still the 05 version, which had enough mint to be cooling and soothing on my skin, and enough of a sugared hard candy smell to still be pleasant enough to wear. This year's version is like Lick It 05 on steroids. It's very peppermint-heavy and cooling and tingly on my skin, which I like. I don't really get the sugar side of it, though. It's all sharp, frosty mint on me, more medicinal than candied. I might get a bottle of this one, as I like that tingly, cool feeling.

I hadn't tried a Lick It before, because I don't usually go seeking out mint, but I kinda like this.

It is extremely minty, like clear-out-your-sinuses minty. But it has elements of sweet candyishness too...just a little, not overly sweet. Mostly mint. Reminds me of smelling the steam rising up off a cup of hot mint tea with just a little sugar.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of mint on its own (and this is almost mint to the exclusion of anything else), but if you are, then you should definitely Lick It.

(Wow. "Mint" doesn't even look like a word anymore.)

Mint, mint, mint and well more mint. With a tiny blast of sugared vanilla. I adore the Lick It series and will buy a couple of bottles because it is always instant love. :wub2:

In the imp, this is lovely- almost exactly like BBW Twisted Peppermint. It's a nice blend of creamy vanilla sweetness and mint. On the skin...Altoids tin. SOOO minty. Would be lovely poured in a pedicure tub, but not to wear as perfume. If you need your sinuses cleared, give this a big 'ol sniff.

This smells just like a red and white candy cane. I feel like my wrists should be sticky after putting it on! I also put it on behind my ears and the mint gives you a nice cool sensation. The bad part is that this scent does not last long at all on me. If you really like the smell of candy canes, go ahead and get a bottle of this.

At first it's tingly and cooling and, yes, like Altoids. There's lots of throw, and after a while I get wafts of sugar and vanilla which eventually become more solidly sweet vanilla. It doesn't feel quite balanced, but I think aging might help that. The scent lasts about an hour to my nose and then drifts away.

I'm thinking about upgrading my decant to a bottle.

In the decant: Not just a candy cane—a just-opened box of ‘em.

Wet: Definitely smells like minty candy! It reminds me of dinner mints, rather than candy canes. It has some softness to it.

Drydown: Lots of mint, and my skin is tingling in the way that my mouth tingles when I eat a strong mint.

Later: The mint all but disappears after about an hour, leaving sweet creaminess behind. When I wear for a whole day, the scent entirely disappears after a few hours, except the for the faintest minty hint left on my clothes. Really fun for an hour or two, but it just doesn’t last.

In the imp: like being punched in the face with CANDY CANES.

Wet: super-strong, super-minty. It's dead-on candy cane, that harsh kind of peppermint.

Dry: less overpowering, but still very present and that same mint.

I like it and I may actually get a bottle. I tried Lick It Again years ago and while I loved the smell, I was disappointed that it vanished right away on me. So I decided to give this a shot and I am SO PLEASED that I did, I think a bottle may have to come home with me. While its strength and spread dies down quickly, I can still actually smell it 20+ minutes later and this gives me hope. It's definitely a harsher mint and very, very pepperminty but that's what I love about it!

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: The original Lick It is one of my all-time favorite BPAL scents and I hoard my 2 1/2 bottles of it. I have tried every version since, but nothing ever quite came close enough to the original enough to warrant a bottle purchase. Time to try again.

In the imp: Strong, sweet mint. A distilled candy cane.

Wet: The mint sharpens on my skin and now I'm getting some of the sinus-clearing effects others have mentioned. (Good thing, too - I have a stupid head cold.) For a minute I could tell it was on my skin, but I didn't get any burning discomfort that some have mentioned. The mint has overwhelmed the sweet to the point that it's almost icy cold.

Drydown: As it dries, it's gradually sweetening up again. On me the mint is hanging around.

Verdict: I'm going to test it side-by-side with Lick It, but my impression is that while this is definitely a stronger mint, it's probably the closest to the original I've smelled. I foresee a bottle or two in my future.

Very minty. Very much like the original Lick It. I sort of enjoy this one because the mint sticks around, and sweetens up a bit. Previous Lick Its (minus the original) the mint did a vanishing act after the wet stage.

I am not sure how mint ages, so I'm on the fence on whether I need more or not.

Note: when I tested this at a WC, it seemed more like spearmint than peppermint. Let's see if that's changed.

In the bottle: Sweet peppermint, but not as sweet as previous versions, seemingly, and there might indeed be a hint of spearmint.

Wet: Yeah, more spearmint than peppermint, and not as sweet as had hoped for.

The dry-down: The inside of my elbow seems to feel that this is cooling, yet at the same time the spearmint is a little too minty and astringent. Strange. May need to wash off soon. I'm feeling a bit disappointed here. The '05 Lick It remains my fav in the series, so far.

Light and bright with a creamy sweetness underneath. The strong mint keeps it from being cloying. Do I detect a bit of vanilla as a base note? This really smells like a candy cane on me. I like the scent, but am not sure how much I'll actually wear it.

So as a self proclaimed devotee of all things mint, of course I had to get some of this year's Lick it incarnation, Lick it Vigorously to test at the very least! I'm testing it against my previous bottle purchase of the lick it series, Lick It Like You Mean It (2008) to contrast the differences.

Wet on skin: WOAH, that's a whole lot of peppermint, and does this baby have some throw!

Dry on skin: Still very strong, and it's left a distinctly chilly spot on my arm where applied. this has a much stronger peppermint feel than Lick It Like You Mean It, which is much more of a sugared mint blend and has much less throw.

After a while: Not so cool feeling on the arm anymore, but this is still going strong after 2+ hours! This is by far the strongest iteration of the Lick It series that I've tried

Final Verdict: So awesome, and this is definitely different enough from my bottle of LILYMI that I'll be picking up a second bottle before the Yules come down.

Rating: 5/5 :D

If you like this, try: Lick It, Lick It Again, Lick It Like You Mean It, Lick It One More Time, Nuclear Winter, Snowblind, Cloister Graveyard in the Snow

Using a slightly altered yeahbutnobut review formatting, because it is the epitome of awesome.

Yet another entry into BPAL’s Lick It series. I’ve tested a couple of the earlier versions and this one is very similar. Pretty much straight peppermint. Doesn’t last as long as I’d like (less than 2 hours) but it is very refreshing. Have I mentioned that the name always cracks me up?

Imp: Yep, thats candy canes alright.

On: Yep. It's minty. As advertised.

As it dries something almost dusty can be smelled close to the skin. Dry, it's less candy cane and more straight up peppermint. Makes your skin cool in the spot you apply, and makes your nose tingle and feel cold if you sniff for too long. The close-to-the-skin dust scent remains. I can't figure out what could be registering as dust.

Overall, this is a very interesting novelty scent but I can't see anyone wearing it as an every day perfume. I agree that it might be nice if you have a cold.

In the bottle: Hmm, sweet mint... It’s very fresh, green, and maybe a little bit spicy.

Wet: A lot of sugar comes out as soon as it touches my skin! It smells like mint-flavoured candy, no doubt possible; it also feels very fresh... I might even say cold...

Dry: Strangely enough, it turned almost vanilla and floral on me (one day, I’d like to know what’s wrong with my skin chemistry); however, it’s still fresh, yet softer and more delicate.

Verdict: It’s a funny perfume, it really smells like a candy cane, sweet and minty, even though it turned soft on me.

Imp: Holy Altoids, Batman! :eek:

Wet: Holy Peppermint Schnapps, Batman!

Dry: Holy Candy Canes, Batman!

I didn't get candy canes for xmas last year but this is making me want to eat a whole box. I could never wear this, it's too minty and too strong. And I accidentally got some on my lip and now it's doing that minty burn. :ack:

Mmmmm, peppermint!

Lick It, Vigorously stays the same all the way through-the smell of one of those soft peppermint candy canes! It even cools the skin a bit! Lovely!

(It's especially nice when you are also wearing The First Soft Snow-it's like munching a candy cane while going for a romp through snowy woods in December! wub2.gif )

Like sticking your nose into a bunch of candy canes! Very tingly and cooling where its applied, and a provides a nice mind clearing and refreshing sensation. For this reason, sometimes when I have a headache, I find sniffing this is nice.

Last is not amazing, I wouldn't put it on in the morning and expect to still smell it at the end of the day, which is unfotunate, but because its not so much of a "perfume scent" for me, its not a huge deal.