Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Incendiare

Ignorance and Want

IGNORANCE AND WANT
From the foldings of its robe, it brought two children; wretched, abject, frightful, hideous, miserable. They knelt down at its feet, and clung upon the outside of its garment.

“Oh, Man! look here. Look, look, down here!” exclaimed the Ghost.

They were a boy and girl. Yellow, meagre, ragged, scowling, wolfish; but prostrate, too, in their humility. Where graceful youth should have filled their features out, and touched them with its freshest tints, a stale and shrivelled hand, like that of age, had pinched, and twisted them, and pulled them into shreds. Where angels might have sat enthroned, devils lurked, and glared out menacing. No change, no degradation, no perversion of humanity, in any grade, through all the mysteries of wonderful creation, has monsters half so horrible and dread.

Scrooge started back, appalled. Having them shown to him in this way, he tried to say they were fine children, but the words choked themselves, rather than be parties to a lie of such enormous magnitude.

“Spirit! are they yours?” Scrooge could say no more.

“They are Man’s,” said the Spirit, looking down upon them. “And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!” cried the Spirit, stretching out its hand towards the city. “Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!”

“Have they no refuge or resource?” cried Scrooge.

“Are there no prisons?” said the Spirit, turning on him for the last time with his own words. “Are there no workhouses?”

The bell struck twelve.

Bog myrtle, wormwood accord, carrot seed, lovage, Roman chamomile, orris root, myrrh, and patchouli.

The wormwood and patchouli make an entrance. Ignorance and Want is very dry, herbal, and slightly woodsy in the vial. Wet, the wormwood is stronger and the oil smells more medicinal. The herbs have become stronger, especially as the lovage has made itself known. The dry, celery-like note from the lovage cuts the heaviness of the patchouli. I don't smell any myrrh, at least yet. The chamomile is so incredibly faint but it's gently woven in with the other notes present. I can't pick up on any orris root whatsoever. Ignorance and Want is earthy yet medicinal, leaning towards an insect repellent. It must be the bog myrtle that is giving this blend that repellent vibe. After fifteen minutes, the patchouli has practically faded away, which is surprising since my nose automatically zones in on patchouli, even the slightest trace of it, and doesn't let it go.

I think the bog myrtle wins. This reminds me so much of an insecticide on the dry-down actually, kind of like Raid. Sorry, not for me.

Wormwood is one of those notes that just ruin everything. Cause that's all I smell. Wormwood with the strong patchouli. There is no orris root or chamomile or myrrh. Just wormwood. This is turning to RAID on me alas and it must be washed off. :rasp:

My nose is interpreting this as being kind of metallic for some reason. It's pungent wood. I was looking forward to carrot seed, but I can't smell anything that makes me think of carrot seed here. I'm also not getting patchouli, myrrh, or really anything else - this is pretty directly a bitter wood. It seems to soften up a bit after a few minutes, but even when the edge is off it seems medicinal. Ok, the patchouli does come in after about 10 minutes or so and brings with it some sweetness, warmth and a little hint of spice. This is an interesting scent if left to run its full course. It's reminding me of the inside of an old wood box. Oddly enough, after an awful first impression it's starting to grow on me.

Wormwood and bpal's chamomile note both tend to smell pretty bad on me (very bitter, herbal, slightly wooden, and medicinal), and that's mainly what I'm smelling in this blend. As it dries down, this has a weird spiciness (medicinal spiciness, not a foodie one to me) and the patchouli & myrrh add a sweeter, earthier edge, but not enough to calm down the bitterness. Something in here starts going smoky on me after a while and it's sort of like burning medicinal herbs, but very bitter and dry on my skin. Not good times. :sick:

In the decant, this is strongly patcholi and wormwood.

On, this evolves into HEMP. As in "HI, I'M HEMP. I'M IN A ROPE." There may be a little cowering patchouli behind it.

It's not actually bad, just not good either.

I stepped into a garden of carrots and chamomile. With the patchouli, orris root and myrrh making a sweetish dirt background. Wow, this is really different. I like it.

It's herbal, but not in a green way. More like you walked into an occult store and all their herbs are hung up on the wall. It's a bit like hay and dried mystic herbs. Very yellow smelling, slightly dry and dead, yet pretty in its own odd mix. Later on, the yellow herbs are follow by a smokiness and tiny bit of wood, like the herbs came out of a wooden box before they were hung up.

My skin morphs no Raid note, only a yellow orange mix of herbs and carrot seed. It reminds me a lot of late summer or fall, harvest time. Like being on a hay ride going through dead corn fields, except the corn is gone and weedy herbs have grown up in its wake.

As it ends, it becomes more like a perfume. I am note sure what note is making it more sophisticated. But it an hour, it starts becoming a more standard perfume with a resiny base.

If you like Witch's Garden, Ghastly Garden, Garden Path with Chickens or Blue Moon 09 (Beth's), you will probably like this.

This is very medicinal and herb-y on my skin. Wet the wormwood and patchouli are definitely on the forefront. As it dries, the carrot seed and bog myrtle come out. It's dry, and something smells "chemical-y". Clearly this does not work on my skin.

Wet: smells like fresh paint! I love that smell! I think it's mostly due to the carrot seed. The chamomile comes out for a second then runs away. Wormwood accord, hmm. I can't say I've smelled it anywhere outside an absinthe bottle.

Drydown: nice dry warm rooty scent. If you like the smell of wood cabins tucked away in rural settings, this is the scent for you.

Bitter wormwood is very strong when wet, but fades on drydown to let the carrot take center stage. Very vegetatative. The carrot stays in the foreground, but the other notes round it off. This gives the impression of planting in spring dirt. Its a very evocative scent, but I'm not sure it works as perfume.

This reminds me to Garden Path with Chickens, but grittier and dirtier. I smell carrot, slightly herbal flowers, wormwood and hits of dirty patchouli.

Interesting, but not for me. If you like dirt scents, give this a whirl.

I didn't like this, it's very strong chamomile, which I appreciate for it's calming benefits, but honestly it isn't what I would like a for a perfume. There's a vegetable kind of smell to it also. I might wear it to bed to see if it helped my poor sleep.

I'll also second a slight paint note in there.

Interesting scent, but not something I would wear. It's earthy & herbal and dusty with slight incense overtures. While I love the herbal aspects of Ignorance and want (ie. the chamomile, carrot seed and orris root) the other notes are too strong and overpower the earthy herbalness.

In the imp: Dry herbs and dusty earth.

Wet: More patchouli is present, but still mostly dried plants and dirt that needs the rain.

The dry-down: This is slowly morphing into a more patch based scent, but all those dried herbs and plants and the dusty ground are very present. I think that this might be a good scent for the last days of summer, as it evokes that feeling in me, treasuring the last days of heat as I look out over the harvested fields.

When wet, and in its early stages, this is very plantlike on my skin. I can identify the carrot seed and lovage but I'm not sure what bog myrtle smells like. After maybe ten or fifteen minutes, the muddle of smells stays a mixture but becomes clean and refreshing while feeling somehow cool in temperature. I'll have to bring this decant out in the summertime.

I like the scent of this -- kind of a soft herbal scent. It's not harsh, more rooty than bitter. I think the patchouli rounds it out nicely and takes an edge off of it. I don't typically wear this type of scent myself, but I wouldn't mind sitting next to someone who smelled like this. It's pleasant.

This is strongly herbal, almost too herbal, but the patchouli makes it very nice. I am a big patchouli fan and this is a nice and different bpal patchouli. It definitely has some age going on and I really have barely worn it, I'm glad I dug it out today - very grey and cold outside with snow flurries, and this is a nice kind of dreary but warm scent to fit the mood. I get the slight metallic aspect that others noted. And yes, also rooty.

I smell wood, patch, and myrtle in the vial, with some carrot seed in there as well. Herbal. When I apply, I am instantly hit with the aroma of a vegetable garden, which then becomes stronger on the wormwood again. Definitely smells like plants and dirty patchouli. Not bad!