Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Großvater Tanz

GROßVATER TANZ
The evening’s celebration winds down with a traditional German folk song: rice porridge, candied fruits, heavy cream, powdered clove, and Lebkuchen.

Yummy!!!!! This is exactly as I had hoped. It has the creamy, spicy, mealy scent of the porridge, and some candied citrus in there too. The cloves are not too strong, and overall It is very reminiscent of festive holiday cooking.

It doesn't have huge throw on me, and has faded a bit in the 2 hours that I have had it on, but it is very delightful while it lasts.

Großvater Tanz didn't smell good in the bottle, but since I was at Will Call at knows perfume, I tried everything on anyway. A few minutes later, I caught a miraculous, familiar scent from Saturday mornings as a kid, getting up early to watch cartoons and eat sugar-coated cereal.

My favorite cereal was sweet, with a fruity pop, and smoothed by rich milk. So there I am at Will Call, sniffing the side of my hand, completely intrigued by the suggestion of Froot Loops but not knowing which bottle had produced it.

After accidentally enabling about five other people--"Smell this! Which one is it?!" "I don't know, but tell me when you find out!"--I figured it out.

Totally awesome and I can't wait to get a bottle of this! :wub:

Großvater Tanz - This is definitely a foody scent. It's heavy on the Lebkuchen and clove. I'm not much of a foody and while this doesn't go "off" on my skin as most gourmand scents do, it's cloyingly heavy and sweet.

I'm watching snow fall outside as I write this review and it's making me feel very Christmassy indeed!

Großvater Tanz was the one scent out of my order that I was determined to like. Being an ardent Germanophile, I was so excited to see 'lebkuchen' on the list of notes!! It is a very, very nice blend. It's a soft, gourmand sort of smell that my fellow foodie-lovers will surely enjoy. The rice porridge and heavy cream have a lot of throw on me, bringing to mind the way that Boo smells. This is so, so yummy. Will definitely be needing another bottle!

It smells like rice pudding/porridge and English marmalade - slightly bitter, adult marmalade, rich in candied orange peel without being overly sweet. I have trouble with citrus scents that are too sharp, but this is a smooth, mellow scent. It would be stunning if it had a bit of ginger in it, and I'm going to try layering it with something like Sudha Segara, Shub, or maybe even Saw Scaled Viper.

Bottle - Wow, this smells exactly like the "buttered popcorn" flavored jelly bellies. Not a good sign.

On - Ok, yes I smell like that dreaded jelly belly, fake plasticy buttered popcorn. But wait...hold on a moment, something good is happening! The butter is changing to a spiced orange creamsicle, much better. It's now foody in a good way, but aside from the orange creaminess it's a bit dry and not overly sweet.

Drydown - My mind changes a lot on what this smells like. Sometimes I think I smell like a fruitcake, other times the creamy orange is at the front again. And now that I read the reviews, I can totally see the fruit loops connection!

Overall - Spicy, creamy, orange peel cake. Definitely foody, probably too much for the non-foodies out there (I used to be a non-foody over a year ago, I would have hated this then!). Another good seasonal scent, I would say it's closest relative is Huetos de Santo, though this one is spicier.

This was one of the Yules I was the most excited about. I love foody scents, and anything German. Unfortunately, I saw heavy cream, rice porridge and powdered clove notes and got excited and ignored the fact that candied fruit is listed as well. Fruit notes hardly ever work on me, and on my skin the fruit in this scent overpowered the other notes. It smells very dusty and grainy; like a previous reviewer said, it is a dead ringer for the scent of Fruit Loops. So sadly, this one is not for me.

Started out super nutty and reminded me of Cockaigne at first, then the orange marmalade came out and slapped me in the face, HARD! The bitter orange lasted a long strong time, with a super faint cream/rice in background, but then dried down to a weird alcoholic bitter orange smell. Sadly too strong and not for me.

Oh.. no.. this is not nice at all on my skin. It smells like burnt butter. Or burnt popcorn. Or burnt nuts. And sour milk. And a slight smell of burning plastic. No fruits. No nice creamy rice porridge. You know those rich Christmas fruit cakes that are very buttery and full of nuts.. well, this smells like one of those that's been left in the oven for way too long with its plastic wrapper still on.

I left it on for 15 minutes, hoping it might change, but noo... it just got kinda worse. I have to go wash it off :(

Note to self: this is doing the same nasty burnt smell that Paper Kite did. No notes in common though.

This smells yummy on me. Kind of like some sort of sweet fruity cereal and cream, with a very light spice over the top. It doesn't smell overly thick and rich with cream, it seems a bit dry. If my BPAL box wasn't already over the limit of foodie scents, I'd be very interested in this one. It smells great on me when scents like Egg Nog don't -- this one doesn't have the dreaded note of plastic.

This is so interesting, and not at all what I was expecting. I get some rice porridge, which is creamy and wholesome, but for the most part I get nuts, lots of heavy, buttery, dry roasted chestnuts and possibly another nut as well (walnut?). It reminds me a lot of Nut Crack Night Spray and I'm also getting some similarity with Hearth 05'. The nuts eventually take over the rice porridge. I get no clove, Lebkuchen or candied fruits, and it has almost no sweetness on me once it's dry.

Whoa, this is a lot heaver than I would have expected. It's like all of these desserts are being made in a cottage during winter with all of the windows closed to keep everyone warm inside. Now, I know the descriptions says heavy cream, but I didn't expect it to be this heavy. The rice porridge does smell a bit off, but possibly because there is just too much cream in it. I swear I can even smell the raisins in the rice porridge. The Lebkuchen smells golden brown. The warm air is lightly spiced with clove, but everything always goes back to the heavy cream. It's a bit too much for me to handle.

I can't really place this scent -- it's good, very rich and.....thick (in scent, not the oil consistency itself). Like porridge. It almost smells to me like a thick, almost-chewy raisin bread. Yeasty. I like it, though I'm glad I got just a half-bottle from a decant circle since I don't think I'd wear this a ton. Nice though, very unique. To me, it's not really FOODIE, it just happens to resemble a foodish scent. I don't really get clove from this, but something a bit heavier and nuttier.

Edited by AnArtfuldodger

this is too much for me. this is the first run-in i've ever had with a foodie scent that almost made me gag. it might just be my chemistry right now, but it almost makes my teeth hurt it so sweet. i definitely got the candied fruits in it, but something in the creaminess turned this into artificial maple syrup and cream.

i can imagine that this really appeals to many people, but my body is definitely repelling this, and i ended up smelling like pancakes all day.

I think this is going to end up one of my favourite new Yules this year. Its warm, spicy, cozy, and Christmas-y to me. This openes up with candied orange peel and spicy cookies. It next settles into creamy, lightly spiced porridge. The clove comes out in the dry stage. :yum:

Definitely get a cream note here, along with the candied fruits. Not a big fan of the fruits, as they are dominating the blend here. It definitely smells festive though, along with a bit of spice. A bit to foody for me, though the cream note is pretty nice here.

It's a spicy, smoky, chewy lebkuchen. Delicious. Later it turns more to cinder toffee, but still all good. I smelt no cream or porridge.

I've usually done really well with the foodie scents, so I was looking forward to enjoying Grossvater Tanz.

In the decant: Froot Loops. I got that smell before I had read anyone else's reviews here.

Wet on my skin: The cloying sweet of sugar cereal is gone, and now it's rice with thick cream.

20 minutes later: The same as above, but a whiff of spice and orange every so often. The spices do not sit well with me.

An hour later: Well, this is definitely foodie, but not any food I want to smell like. On the plus side, it smells very warm, and thick. On the minus side, it's reminding me of congee with century eggs, which makes me kind of nauseous. :sick:

Overall: Not for me. I think that clove is what makes me respond with yuck.

Großvater Tanz reminds me of Huesos de Santo for the first fifteen minutes or so. It's like a yummy orange cake with frosted glaze, very creamy and sweet.

As it dries down, it goes through a phase that I'm not crazy about. The cakiness smells very dry, the orangey smell fades away, and there's a sour note creeping in that reminds me of a tea or tobacco note, but one that I don't particularly care for. But then, letting it sit for another fifteen minutes produces a scent that I rather enjoy.

It smells sort of like a peaches and cream dessert on me, but darker and with a warm feel from the clove as it reaches the one hour mark. It reminds me slightly of Thierry Mugler's Virgin no 1 (which is a scent that I worship and adore, but Großvater Tanz isn't *quite* that good and doesn't have as good of staying power... still, a similar scent in the longer drydown).

So, I like this at first and then it has a half hour where it's not-so-good, and then I like it again as it starts to fade away. It has decent throw and staying power on me for about 3 hours. I might try to track down a couple more decants of this one, as the slight similarity to Virgin no 1 delights me.

On me, this starts out as a cakey-porridge scent and then the orange starts to grow and grow, eventually smelling exactly like this walnut-orange juice bundt cake my cousin brings every year to Thanksgiving dinner. I really wish I had the recipe right now, because I want to eat my arm.

Yum. :yum: Spicy cake mingles with oats drowned in milk. Out of the candied fruits I can smell candied ginger right away, the other fruits kind of fade into the background. I love the cream in this blend as it helps to mellow out all the notes and blend it together seamlessly. I adore the clove in this. I love spice when it's not sweet, and this isn't really a sweet blend.

The rice porridge/fruits combination here immediately reminds me of Joulumuori from last year, with an added gingerbready (and it is a very *bready* gingerbread!) note. This isn't overly spicy like Gingerbread Poppet, though. The clove note is soft, but very present. I'm not getting anything making me think of cream from this either.

I like this but I'll need to give it a full day's test to know if I love it. It's not particularly sweet for such a foody blend, and I like that aspect of it very much.

It does seem similar to Huesos de Santo at first. It seems a little creamier, the spices are different than Huesos de Santo as well. This is nice, though I'm not in love yet. However, the first time I encountered Huesos de Santo I didn't know I'd fall in love with it in three months or so so I let it get away. I'll hold on to this one and see. =)