Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Beaver Moon 2010

BEAVER MOON 2010
Here we go with the double entendres again! Strawberry and peach cheesecake, heavy on the sticky glaze.

In the bottle, this smells very sugary, lots of peach, and not much cheesecake or strawberry. On my skin, its pretty much the same - sugary sweet peach and eventually sugary sweet strawberry-peach.

This is very different from the two previous Beaver Moons, which (to me) were heavier on the cheesecake/cream/vanilla notes. The peach note is sweeter than any other BPAL peach scent I've tried before.

ETA: After some aging, the cheesecake note does come out more during the drydown, although its not as prominent as the previous Beaver Moons. I think this might be my favourite of the three. Edited by TheIceMaiden

The package just arrived, and I couldn't resist a brief test, though I will probably go back and re-test once the contents have had some time to relax and settle.

In the bottle, this is really sweet, sticky, candy peach. I've tried a lot of BPAL peach scents, and this one is unique and reminds me of peach hard candies rather than the fruit itself.

On, that remains the dominant note, but I start to get whiffs of candy strawberry and a slight creaminess that I am hoping will come out more as this settles and ages, because if those notes were balanced this would be really fabulous. As it is, it's a little heavy on the candy peach note, which is nice, but doesn't have the depth to keep me interested by itself.

As the other Beaver Moons have been pretty heavy on the cheesecake, and that note gets stronger to me as it ages (Beaver Moon '07 was originally much more cherry to me than it is now), I am keeping my fingers crossed that this one undergoes the same shift.

Ooh, yum! I was so worried that the cheesecake note would smell funky. But instead, this smells like pastry cream, like the strawberry tart I made this summer, sweet berries and cream. As it dries down, the sweetness fades down a little, but it's still a really nice strawberry scent. :)

My experience with this scent is similar to the first two reviews. Granted, it did just arrive and I only gave it about ten minutes to sit and warm up before I just had to test it. Just a dot from the lid, but it was enough.

In the bottle, this is very sweet, like fruit-flavored candy or sugared fruit. There's just a tiny hint of creaminess from the cheesecake underneath.

Once on my skin, it's very much like fruit candy--artificially flavored hard candy, all sugar and bright colors. The strawberry and peach go back and forth for a bit, and then peach wins. It settles down and starts to smell a bit more like real fruit, and I have glorious visions of a peaches and cream-scented perfume. Then it goes back over to the strawberry candy side. It reminds me a lot of Bordello, which smells like a red Jolly Rancher to me. I guess it's the "glaze" that's going all candyish.

There's also a weird, bitter, almost plasticky undertone that I get on and off. I think it comes from the peach when it's being more fruit/plant-like rather than candy-like.

I'm just going to hang onto this and hope that the cheesecake note makes its presence known more as time passes, and that the candy notes settle down some.

This smelled like a strawberry Jolly Rancher as soon as I opened the Lab box. I could almost taste the peach-strawberry candy as I applied the oil to my skin, and I could also smell the creamy cheesecake. The blend went a bit plasticky when I smelled it up close, then it disappeared. I'm also hoping the sweetness dies down and it gets more creamy. Beaver Moon '05 is still my #1 beaver.

In the bottle: sweet sweetness

Wet on wrist: For a moment, it went plastic, and my heart dropped, because in the bottle it was divine, but I held onto hope and didn't wash it off, and...

On the drydown: the plastic scent is gone and in its place is the scent of a cheesecake crust, and fruity strawberry-peach-ness! My husband described it as "fruit smash".

How do I explain the joy this scent invokes? I got pulled over today on my way to work (expired tag, DMV error since I totally paid that sucker dammit!) and I am right now just GLEEFUL because I SMELL DELICIOUS. (Alas, the scent was not enough to win over the officer, but ya can't win 'em all.)

MMMM...Beaver Moon, more like Delicious Moon!

In the bottle this smells uber peachy, with a little fruity strawberry mixed in.

Wet on skin: Very peach! I am getting a canned peach in heavy syrup vibe with a hint of strawberry and if I sniff too closely I get a plasticy scent.

Dry on skin: MMMMMM! The peach has mingled with the strawberry to create a creamy bonanza of goodness. I am getting whiffs of cheesecake(in a subtle vanilla way, not as obvious as previous Beaver Moon incarnations)and a crust-type note as well.

As others have mentioned I think this will age really well! My only complaint is that the two little beavers from the full artwork are cut off. :cry2: They are sooo cute too!

Sometimes I'm wary ordering a lunacy. This was one of those times- peach scents just drive me up the wall, there's a bad association in my past with them. I've smelled the old Beaver Moon (not sure which year) and the anniversary version- both brought such a big smile to my face, which was what made me order this one.

In the bottle: Danged if this doesn't smell just like a strawberry creme conditioner I shoplifted had when I was like, ten years old! A very condensed version though. I get no peach or cheesecake- well, maybe I do, and that's the "creme" part.

Wet on skin: Very candy like! Almost over the top. It's got an aquatic thing going on, not green, really, but like the water off of rinsed strawberries.

Drydown: The peach shows up. It is fine because the strawberry is stronger. Still very sweet.

An hour later: I overheard someone in the store asking who had eaten toast and jam. I guess they're getting more of the crust than I am.

Through its stages, it threatens to go plasticky a few times, then reigns itself in. It also threatens to go really sweet and give me diabetes by osmosis. Overall this is pretty straight up strawberry- bakery red glazed, sitting on top of a cake but without the cake strawberry. I will be hanging onto this one- it's so cheerful and unlike any other bpal I own, and like others have said, I'm really interested to see how it ages. Extra bonus points for the label art too!

ETA: I'm editing this because after a week I noticed a subtle shift in the notes after the first hour- there is some cream cheese showing up. It's really nice with the glazed fruit!

Edited by sheena

I started to dread the emergence of the Plastic of Doom before I even dabbed this on, once I'd read the previous reviews. In the bottle this is gooey-sweet strawberry and peach jam! On the skin...it took about 10 seconds for that plastic to jump out at me. Dammit!! However, after about 10 minutes, it faded and I was left with what I'd certainly call strawberry glaze...sticky, sweet, with just a bit of peach and I can also detect a cheesecakey note waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the background. That plastic keeps threatening to come back, though, and I'm nervous.

I'm going to let this age and see if the plasticness ages out of it--I hope so! This has the potential to be a really fun blend if it would behave.

In the bottle: Sweet strawberries with a hint of vanilla and cream.

Wet on skin: Strawberries, pears, and cheesecake, just as promised. Yum!

Drydown: The fruits meld until it's just a sweet fruit scent layered on top of a crust-less cheesecake.

Dry: This doesn't morph much at all. The vanilla is somewhat overpowered by the cheesecake and sweet fruits, but it wafts up occasionally.

Overall: This is a very foody blend and very true to the description. The sweetness of the fruits is a little overwhelming. Hopefully some aging will calm it down a bit.

This is mostly strawberries and cream on my skin. Occasionally, the peach note wafts about, but I'm definitely amping the strawberries. Definitely a foody and fruity lovers delight. :)

I got the chance to smell this yesterday and Oh my goodness! Wet: It smells like peach jolly ranchers. Dry: Soft peach jolly ranchers with hints of strawberry. There is no Cheesecake! Yay! :joy: I need to find a partial of this or a decant stat!

This is a keeper. :wub2:

In the bottle: super sweet, super super sweet strawberry and peach. I can detect the cheesecake in the background when I inhale deeply.

Wet on skin: I smell more strawberry than peach, it's almost like I can smell the stickiness of the glaze. Cheesecake hanging around in the back keeping this from going too sweet.

Dry: This went through a teenie plasticky spell, but that went away after this dried and now it's a creamy strawberry/peach cheescake. Pretty much true to its description and really yummy.

In the bottle: Sweet and sticky cheesecake!

Wet: Cooked peaches in glaze on top of a good cheesecake.

The dry-down: The strawberries are taking their own sweet time to make an appearance. These are not fresh strawberries, either, but have been cooked in a simple syrup, like the peaches, so there's basically only the three scent notes here: strawberry, peach, and cheesecake, but all simply divine. :)

Like moonberryjam, I wish that the beavers were on the label as well. :)

Beaver Moon 2010

In the bottle it's a candy-sweet, fruity strawberry-peach. I like it a lot in the bottle. On my skin, it's fruity with a very slight planty edge. After a few minutes of wear, it's peachy, but also tending towards sour. *shakes fist at chemistry* I was going to give it more time, but it's actually making me a bit nauseated, so I think it's off to swaps. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

In the bottle, this is all sticky strawberry sweetness with maybe a faint hint of peach hovering shyly in the background. Wet on skin, it's strawberry sauce, the expensive kind of strawberry sauce you might find drizzled over your dessert plate at a nice restaurant. Sweet, but not sugary at all. As it's drying the bakery notes are coming out a little, and it's reminding me very much of strawberry tarts - pastry, creme patissiere, and glazed fresh strawberries over the top. Not quite cheesecake, but pretty close! Definitely interested to see how it settles and ages.

I get peach and strawberry pie (but no crust) with extra filling. I don't get any cheesecake. At times, the throw smells more like cherry pie filling (without any of the medicinal smell I sometimes get from cherries). It's very sweet, foody and yummy. :yum: I like this one more than I expecting to.

Beaver Moon 2010:

I always get excited seeing my beloved Beaver Moon make an appearance. I was excited to try this version. The box I received today smelled amazing! I slathered this on my wrist right away. I don't smell cheesecake at all. It's very PEACHY, like in your face peach. I kinda sorta smell strawberry in the background. This is very nice & I do like it but it is far far different than the other versions. Not one bit of cheesecake, darn it!

~

In the bottle, this smelled kind of like strawberry hard candies and strawberry bubble gum. I was a little bit afraid. On me, it's still very sweet, but the strawberry and peach blend nicely. Eventually, things settle down and a creamy note appears. Reminds me of those creamsavers candies from Lifesavers, but a little less sweet and cloying. Sticks around for a long time; I wore this all day on Tuesday, and it's now Friday and I can still catch a hint of this on my pillow at night. A definite keeper.

Holy Strawberry Batman! this is so crazy strawberry in the bottle! almost a dead ringer for strawberry bubble yum gum.

I do get a little bit of the peach when I first put it on but then it does mellow out in a creamy, soft strawberry. I don't get any cheesecake note either but perhaps with aging it will appear. This is a yummy one!

Why in the world am I getting peach and MINT? I don't like mint in my peach.

bottle: sugary peach candy.

wet: very bright peach and strawberry. i get nothing like cheesecake, just syrupy fruit.

dry: as this dries, it has a faintly creamy scent, but not like cheesecake, more like whipping cream. the peach and strawberry fade after about 2 hours to a simple, fruity sweetness.

Beaver Moon 2010 - Smells like Strawberry Shortcake and Peach Blush got some plastic doll kink on and made a strawberry-peach baby. And I don't mean that in a good way. It's disgustingly plasticky, artificial, and there's not one stinking drop of cheesecake in my entire bottle.

After reading reviews I was a bit worried about this one. I was hoping that it would be lovely strawberry and cheesecake goodness but the skin chemistry deity was not kind.

In bottle this is almost sharply sweet strawberry sugary candy. Applied wet it is a hard peach candy with an extra jolt of sugar and a thin creamy center. There may be a slight swirl of red strawberry in the hard candy, but it is more for color then anything. As it dries you get a bit closer to the creamy center but the peach flavor is still going strong. Several hours later a lingering aftertaste of strawberry sugar is the only reminder of the candy just consumed.

If you like peach (or get lucky and amp the strawberry instead) and super sugary scents- this is a good one to try.