Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairestrocza

Blood Moon 2010

BLOOD MOON 2010
In October, the crop harvest has past, and all hands turn to the Hunt:
the third and final harvest before winter. Blood Moon shines over huntsmen as they ride over reaped grain in pursuit of their prey.

In Christian mythology, Blood Moon may have a darker significance:

"And I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood; and the stars of the sky fell to the earth, as a fig tree casts its unripe figs when shaken by a great wind." -- Revelation 6:12-13

The feral scent of throbbing musks and the heat of the chase through a shadowed, moonlit wood, swirled in the incense of the anointed cherub that covereth, and touched by blood-dimmed lunar oils.

Blood Moon is more than the sum of its parts.
If I were to say "cassia, rose, maybe sandalwood, and perhaps the faintest touch of lily, not too musky, and just the slightest hint of sweetness," it would fail to convey the warm, red cosiness that exists on an unlikely continuum between ethereal and ominous. This is not the feral scent of the hunt, but a dream of the hunt, floating, slightly detached, over the moonlit scene, while individual moments come into sharp focus, and then fade into the impression of mood that stays with you when you wake.

Blood Moon has a decent throw, but is not overpowering. The husband said he could see someone wearing it in an office environment. The rose note smells surprisingly realistic, with no soap residue. Both cassia and rose can be overpowering, but here they balance each other perfectly. I am not sure that the subtle non-rose floral I detect close to the skin is actually lily (lily usually does not like my skin), but it is extremely subtle, and fades into the overall scent without making the scent feel floral. One friend said this reminds him of a perfume called "Chloe" that an old girlfriend used to wear. Another friend was surprised to smell the scent of real roses. I would say that Blood Moon is feminine, but not girly, and bold but not aggressive. I am pleased that I ordered a bottle, and I half hope that the two friends who are splitting it with me won't want their shares.

Straight out of the bottle, I get a cinnamony goodness... then a little floral kick and some sort of sweetness. As it dries down, it begins to mellow out and get alittle creamier. I'm a foodie but the floral that is in this is playing nicely and I don't notice it as being overly flowery. it does sort of give off a forest vibe... warm, dark with a full moon overhead and sweet. It's a keeper. It's kinda sexy.

Edited by MineralGirl

I also got a cinnamon note from this the first day I tried it, but not the second. It's more of a cassia, since I amp cinnamon and it makes me break out. I wasn't wowed by this, because it smelled like men's cologne soap to me, with a lot of smokiness. I'll try it next week when my monthly bill is gone, perhaps it's screwing up my sense of smell.

Blood Moon 2010

In Bottle: It's a very wet scent. It's kind of musky, and reminds me of a damp forest at night. It also reminds me of stuffing your nose into a big box of incense sticks.

Wet: It's a rich and strong smell. The incense is more noticeable now, and it has a sweetness to it but it's not sugary. (Is that sandalwood?) It makes my skin feel warm.

Dry: Why hello there patchouli! It really comes out in a sharper manner now, with the musk underpinning it. The throw has greatly increased too – I no longer have to hold my wrists up to my face to smell it. The scent no longer resembles what it did in the bottle. It is now a warm and red-feeling scent instead of a wet and forest-like one. I might be detecting some cinnamon.

So far with my BPAL experience, I have learned that my skin rots fruit, amps nuts, and destroys the subtleties of flowers. There is not a single wisp of any kind of floral in this. It's all musk and spice. I am not even sure if I'd describe it as a feminine scent!

I have worn this twice now, and both times it was a pleasant blast of patchouli. While it peaked an an hour the first time, and almost died down at an hour and a half, the second time it stayed at that peak height for almost three hours. Once it gets going it takes no prisoners and pulls no punches. This is a scent where a little bit goes a long way.

All in all, I love it.

In bottle: spicy musk

On skin: smutty musk, muted and fuzzy around the edges

Half-hour later: still lots of musk with some dark rosey incense

In conclusion: the first wearing it reminded me a lot of Panther Moon -- all dark musk. It seems to have calmed down, however, and dark rose and incense appear eventually. I passed on the first two Blood Moons ('05 and '08), they sounded so feral and aggressive. It's moody and interesting, and I'm glad I finally tried it.

Wet: definitely with others that say they smelled cassia. This is pretty much all strong cassia and a touch of musk on me. Completely unexpected and a little bummed out. Further into wet, rose or lily and either fir or cedar too.

Drydown: still a decent amount of cassia and warm resiny incense. Better. It's mellowed but hasn't provided the anticipated results that I had in mind when I ordered it.

First of all, I barely put a dab on the back of my hand and its throw was tremendous. This is certainly not a blend to slather.

However, this reminded me, very immediately, of an incense my ex-husband would burn on a near constant basis. It wasn't bad, but it definitely had a headshop feel to it. But, because of the negative association with the scent, I was immediately put off by it.

Eventually it calmed down, and became a softer, sweeter, slightly Blood-like scent. Dry, it's a bit lighter than the GC blend Blood. I actually really like this dry. Though I'm not sure I want to be reminded of my ex-husband for 15-20 minutes every time I put this on until it dries.

Blood Moon 2010~

Wet- at first, this was kinda sharp and funky smelling to me... I almost was a lil bummed I grabbed a bottle. Musky, definitely with some sweet floral in there too. I am not familiar with cassia, so I don't know if that is what I am smelling?

As it dried, I really started liking it. It got quite incensy and the sweetness toned down, thank goodness. It did remind me of my beloved Panther moon as well! This had some strong throw too I must say. I like it. I am glad I got bottle in the end.

This is even nicer than I hoped it would be. The musks are soft and sexy. There is a cologne note and I can get the flowers too, I just can't seem to get the cinnamon. Looking forward to trying this in a couple of months time, when the blend has had the chance to settle. Also, label art is to die for!

I have been trying to create a perfume that smells like my favorite smell for about 6 or 7 years now: walking through crunchy red, yellow and orange leaves on a crisp, breezy October day...the perfect autumn leaf smell. I don't know how she did it, but Beth did it. I opened the bottle at the Seattle will call last month and I was in love...and in awe. There is a hint of cinnamon to my nose, but the rest is my precious rotting leaves. Amazing...

Blood Moon 2010 is slightly musk, dry leaves, and spicy incense.

I like it better than the previous Blood Moon incarnations, because all I could get from those was the dragon's blood/dragon's blood resin. This one is much more 'leafy' and the musk is soft and comforting.

Blood Moon 2010 is closer to Blood Moon 05 than the 08 version, with the dark spiciness and incense qualities. What this really smells like, though, is Interfector. I tried them both on at the same time (on different wrists, of course) and I could barely tell them apart after five minutes. The only difference is that Blood Moon 2010 starts off spicier and has a hint of spice to it in the drydown that Interfector doesn't have. It smells mostly like dry wood, heavy, sweet, dark, slightly smoky incense, and a hint of cassia spice.

i have to admit I was a little disappointed in this when I first got it. Fresh, the cassia dominated and it seemed to have almost a soapy character.

Today I decided I needed a "red" scent and noticed this lonely bottle in my BPAL box, and decided to try it.

It is really lovely now!!! The cassia is very bright at first, but later calms down. It has a sweet, warm, incensey smell that is comforting and a little spicy. The soapy character is gone. The dragon's blood is just a soft, sweet base and is not that strong in this blend. My husband really liked it too!

Now, what other lonely bottles are hiding in my box waiting to be re-discovered....

Blood Moon 2010 - This is probably the most beautiful dragon's blood scent I've ever tried! The dragon's blood is quite evident from the get-go, but it's not overwhelming and doesn't overpower the other notes. It's almost as if it serves the sole purpose of bolstering the other notes, making them smell better than they wood otherwise. There's a definite spiciness about the blend that reminds me of cinnamon, but is not. I think it may be the cassia other reviewers have noted, although I'm always terrible about picking out cassia in a scent. There's a hint of sweet animalic musk and a pine-like incense. It's really, really pretty.

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

I have no idea where people are getting that it's a feminine floral. I get no floral at all.

This is one of those perfect examples of why you should always, always skin test these. In the bottle it's just some kind of dark cologne. Not very interesting.

On the skin, wet and for the first five minutes, I get strong honey mead. Definitely a dark, sweet, tangy honey all over the place. After about ten, a cinnamon spice suddenly jumps out of it like a naked redhead from one of those giant cakes. The honey is still there, and maybe something creamy? I wonder if dragon's blood is lurking around in here.

Not feminine or floral in the least. Dark, sexy, and dripping with spiced honey to be licked off of things later. Definite keeper.

I've been enjoying the scent of Blood Moon for over 2 years now and haven't reviewed it yet... mostly because I find it very well blended and tricky to describe. I finally feel ready to try, though. It's a warm, rich, "dark" smell, like being wrapped in layers of red and black velvet. The main note I smell, especially at first, is cassia -for a while I thought it was cinnamon, but now that I'm familiar with the note, to me cassia has kind of a richer, deeper smell to it (though I enjoy cinnamon quite a bit as well.) The scent has a warm musky base. I usually wear it at night.

Bottle: Wet, juicy musk. I distinctly get the image of a moonlit night in a forest.

Wet: Musky with a hint of spice. It has a slight aquatic/soapy feel to it as well.

Dry: The musk and all that loveliness have disappeared under the soapy. Sadface :(