Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Pixie-elf

I need help picking out some Lotus scents!

Hi guys!

Okay I haven't even gotten my first order, but I've decided that the Imps I got during trades (Lush forum....) from a few people...well, one has Lotus in it. I don't know what it smells like alone but I'm positive that's the note that I'm starting to fall in love with, lol. It was Black Lotus... Could you guys help me find some good / strong / mostly Lotus scents?

Some things I would like being mixed in with Lotus : Jasmine, Dragon's Blood, Fruits, Ylang Ylang, Vanilla and other sweet things.

I love sickly sweet scents, so anything sickly sweet with Lotus / Really sweet mixed with Lotus = yum! lol.

Things I don't like : Cloves, really bitter scents, spices, etc... I don't really like Citrus scents very much. I don't like Patchouli much but I can tolerate it, and I don't really want to smell like any woods or anything... lol.

I did the search on the BPAL site, but I figured you guys might be able to tell me better etc... My first order was almost all Cotton Candyish scents! Hehe. So I'm planning my second order right now, yes, already... lol. Any help would be appriciated!

Here are the scents I found on the search (Minus Black Lotus, lol.) Please tell me which ones smell the most like Lotus?:

Lotus

Forbidden Fruit

Blood Lotus

Glitter

Kali

Naiad

Pandora

Shattered

Undertow

Ophelia

Muse

Old Kathmandu

Old Paris

You could even rate them 1-10 as far as how Lotusy they smell... lol. Thanks guys!

--Mystina

Glitter and Shattered I never smelt the lotus in, and neither was very sweet on me.

BTW, Lotus is an aquatic smelling scent...to me it smells like a mix of rain and aloe.

You may want to skip Old Kathmandu...to me it's a very spicy lotus, and you mentioned that you don't like spicy scents. It also has a strong cedar note in it, and you mentioned not liking woods either.

Blood Lotus is sweet sweet sweet!! I couldn't detect any floral notes in it, but that could be because I had to wash it off pretty much immediately because sickly sweet scents can make me feel nauseous.

I've read reviews that the lotus note is very strong in Black Lotus. When I wear it, a watery floral note is dominant and I detect very little contribution from the other components listed in the description. Maybe you could wear Blood Lotus and Black Lotus together to get that sweet lotus scent that you're looking for?

And I agree with sarahj that you should skip Old Kathmandu. Definitely very spicy and woody.

Muse is a really good one. It's basically 1/2 lotus with 1/2 jasmine, with a spritz of lime. The lime is really strong at first, but then fades pretty quickly, leaving a pure floral lotus/jasmine blend.

I can't vouch for how "lotus-y" the scent is,, as I have yet to really isolate the lotus scent to make it recognizable as a single note, but regardless, Ophelia is feckin' fantastic. I love that scent. It was the first floral scent I ever loved (I'm not much of a floral gal). I got some in a swap and ordered myself a big bottle the next day.

I second Muse. It is about 1/2 lotus and 1/2 jasmine on me, also, with some lime added in for interest. This is a very unusual perfume oil--you WILL get comments on it!

hey pixie :P

i agree on the old kathmandu note and also think you should skip naiad. it has neroli in it which is orange and this one is very citrusy which you said you don't like.

i would suggest you try the dragon's blood stuff cause dragon's blood- anything has a strong sweet cherryish smell. that's probably why the blood lotus would be good for you.

you probably would like bon vivant too- strawberry champagne.

i will get back to you with more when i think of them.

This isn't much help now, because it's one of the 'not yet released scents' but Nine Mysteries supposedly has a lot of lotus in it. I tried it, and there's definitely a note that gradually takes over that fits that description. Very minty at first, though.

And the formulation might change a lot before it gets released... But something to keep your eye open for :)

I'm pretty good at sniffing out lotus since I found out I HATE it :D

Yup, Muse has killer lotus in it after a few minutes. I thought I was going to love it with the lime and jasmine, but the lotus killed it for me.

You HAVE to try Forbidden Fruit, that was almost totally lotus on me :P

And even though I now suspect lotus ruined Old Kathmandu for me, I agree with everyone else, it's too dry and spicy for your tastes.

Have you gotten any of your cotton candy scents yet and if so, how do you like them?

Awh thank you sweetie. :D It's a nice thought though... ^^ And erm... I tend to ramble to no end all the time LMAO!

Ahh a fellow rambler, welcome to the club! :P

You know, on the thing about Nine Mysteries...I don't know what's in it, but it reminds me a lot of Ultraviolet. There's that same sort of mint/floral thing going on, but there's some citrus, too. It's really confusing to my nose and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. :D

You may want to add Kurukulla to your "To Try" list. I'm not sure what your skin chemistry does to roses, but that blend is NOTHING but lotuses and roses on me. It's a very sweet floral. (I love it.)

You might want to try Intrigue. It doesn't have any lotus, but it has fig. The two are damn near indistinguishable on my skin. (Sicky sweet--too sweet for me.) There is a slight cedar note in the background, but on me it's all sweet sweet sweet....

Old Paris (now just "Paris") is my favorite lotus scent. I didn't even know it was lotus when I fell in love with it -- I just thought it was a divine, clean, round, kind of Sweet-Tartsy scent. (That's how I think of lotus! Kind of clean, round, and tart.)

Anyway, Paris is the most divine combination of that clean, sweet, tart lotus and sexy spices. It's one of my favorite BPALs. Very unique and sophisticated.

Forbidden Fruit is PURE lotus to me -- that's all I smell in it. It's like Paris without the depth.

Black Lotus is very sweet -- almost a deep, dark, bubbling lotus. Very sweet and delicious.

Blood Lotus is nice too, but I haven't worn it in so long that I can't remember its specific characteristics. Maybe I'll wear it today and report back!

As for Muse, I didn't even realize it had lotus in it, but when I think about it, it makes sense. Muse is one of my absolute favorite scents too; must remember to get a bottle for the summertime.

I can't really smell the lotus on its own in Kali - to me everything is blended so well, it's just this gorgeous, rich chocolatey floral. But it is absolutely worthy trying! It's one of my very favorites of all BPAL scents.

And I second Inkstone's suggestion of Kurukulla - that one stole my heart immediately. I am rationing my imp until my big bottle arrives. The roses and lotuses together are beyond beautiful. If you are a fan of those, this one will take you over the moon, baby! :P

Both Pandora and Undertow seemed to have a strong lotus scent to them when they mixed with my skin chemistry. However Pandora was a much brighter and sharper blend, while Undertow seemed darker and smoother.

I would assume anything with the word "lotus" in its name probably features lotus as a dominant note in the blend.

I'm surprised you could pick out any lotus in Kathmandu... my nose got hung up on the cedar (which I love).

Edited by Neko