Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fairnymph

CD: Fire Dancer v9

NOT the same as the proto at the Will Calls or that people won in contests and has been reviewed in the unreleased review forum; much less smoky vetiver, and a lot more sweet, foody cinnamon, but I'll do a side-by-side comparison test when I get a moment with the imp of the contest-version & update this post. I'll be curious to see which version Beth ends up releasing eventually!

In the bottle this is like Big Red gum - oh no, keep it away!! (Cinnamon this heavy usually burns the crap out of my skin).

As I skin test it this morning it's like Big Red gum that's been trampled at the fairgrounds, and then somehow makes it's way to an ashen fire-pit. Doesn't smell like fire, but rather the remnants of it (and still hot cinnamon).

CD: Fire Dancer v9 - This opens up on my skin with a burst of bright, hot cinnamon, but quickly, the oozey scent of honey-sweet opium becomes evident, and as it warms up on my skin, the cinnamon settles down and it becomes mostly a smoky, sweet, heavy opium scent that's bolstered by splashes of fire-hot cinnamon, and something else in the far background -- possibly dark myrrh (?). I don't tend to like cinnamon blends, but the cinnamon harmonizes perfectly with the opium in this blend and it becomes something really, really amazingly gorgeous. Of all the BPAL prototypes I've ever tried, this one definitely stands out among my favorites. :heart:

Red Hotz; Big Red gum; all apt descriptions. This is a strong, burning cinnamon with a hint of dry smoke.

Edited by Andrea912

I'm getting smoky cinnamon on my skin. Very strong and while it did not burn the skin on my arm, a little got on my skin under my nose while sniffing and that does burn my skin.

In the bottle, I'm get smoky cinnamon. On my skin, again, smoky cinnamon, with a hint of opium? ...And stinging. OW. Ends up being smoky cinnamon and opium, drying down to smoky opium. Yeah, not my thing.

Edited by Venneh

Dusty cinnamon. I like the cinnamon, but it's like fire that has gone out and become kind of ashy, as some reviews above have alluded to. I would have liked this to be stronger cinnamon. This scent might be good for you if you like scents like Inferno and Tanin'iver.

This immediately reminded me of a cinnamon version of Chrysanthemum Moon. Absolutely gorgeous and intoxicating, a perfect blend of sweet cinnamon and smoky opium. I very much hope this version or something close to it is what's finally released! :love:

YES! Hackess nailed it exactly. I couldn't figure out why this blend smelled so familiar to me, and it's very much a cinnamon version of Chrysanthemum Moon. There is an initial blast of cinnamon, and then it settles into a spicy and perfumey scent. It must be the opium note that I'm smelling here. It's really wonderful, and the throw is like whoa on my skin. I only dabbed a drop on my wrist and I could easily smell it with my arms relaxed at my sides. This is warm and alluring.

I have to say that Mum Moon didn't work for me - but I do smell cinnamon, opium, perhaps a hint of clove and plum as well and vetiver. I find this more wearable than Mum Moon, which was incredibly bitter on me. But there is a trace of bitterness there that does make me think of chrysanthemums. It's is a 'firey' blend and yes, I do think feathers as well. It's a very very interesting blend.

I was worried this would be all burny uber-spicy cinnamon, but it's really not - it's spicy, yep.. but I think there's more than just cinnamon going on in here, because it also has a slightly resiny edge and I agree with ZZ that it might have a hint of plum. The initial 'hot' feel dies down fairly quickly, and leaves behind a nice soft spiciness that's not irritating at all because it's warm and sensuous rather than hot and spicy. It kinda reminds me of a mix between Chrysanthemum Moon and Hellion, with an extra boost of spice. It's beautifully blended and very smooth.

I'll be curious to see which of the proto versions is closest to the CD Fire Dancer when it eventually comes out. If it's this one, then I think it will be a huge hit for a lot of people who seek warm and spicy blends.

Dusty, cinnamon and cat pee. Yes it is spicy, but it is not the fire dancer scent that I'd like to see joining the CD. This isn't working for me at all. I wish I'd know what note is turning this to feline urine. :huh?:

Edit: The mystery note might be honey, I just realized that honey also goes to cat pee on my skin.

Edited by Monday

I ordered this off the BPAL Etsy site because I saw some reviews mention that it smells like a cinnamon version of Mum Moon. I love cinnamon to bits, even if it doesn't love me most of the time, so I took a chance.

So happy I did. On me, it really is like a Red Hots Mum Moon. After the initial blast of bright red cinnamon, it fades into this gorgeous warm, smokey scent.

Got a 5ML via the forum from a lovely swap buddy forumite, and tested this from an imp I decanted out of that.

IN THE IMP: Delicious spicy awesome.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: First off, I loves me my cinnamon but only rarely do I get "the burn." I DID get it briefly in the crook of my arm with this one, but no visible marks. Anyway, the minute I uncap the imp this is ME when wet ... spectacularly cinnamon smoky resin. Transportational. Yet it's also somehow subtle and very clean.

DRYDOWN: The resin and smoke subsides a bit and it goes more red hot cinnamon candy on me. There is also one other note lurking back there which I can't quite put my finger on, just barely noticeable only in the crook of my arm (which often amps certain notes that are not noticeable on the "dry" parts of my body) and that note is just the tiniest bit wonky ... maybe honey, as others have mentioned? It's the only thing that keeps this from being a 5 for me.

OVERALL: That one "wonk" note drops this down to 4.8 but I think in the future if I simply apply it to the areas of my body that do not emanate moisturized body heat it would have potential to be a 5.

On a scale of 1-5, I'll split the difference and give it a 4.9

ETA: I can't remember the last time this has happened but on the LONGER drydown (maybe another half hour?) this went horribly wrong. Whatever that wonky note was just got wonkier and wonkier to the point where it went from desirable keeper into the swap box. Oh well, my full box was getting too full, anyway.

Scale score is downgraded to a 3.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

I was expecting to be hit in the nose with cinnamon, not overwhelming smothering florals, but that's what I got instead -- I thought at first it might be lily, but lily doesn't give me the whanging headache that poppy does. I had to wash this off after half an hour.

I'm glad to say that I don't get Big Red Gum, I was fearing that! And it doesn't give me a rash either, so it's definite not the Angry Scary Cinnamon Note I've occasionally run into (I forget which scents...may have been Inferno?).

To me, this smells just like Three Witches, with a squeeze of juicy orange - it's the same very dry cinnamon, possibly a touch of clove, just...yeah, basically Three Witches...lemme do a side by side... Mmmkay - Three Witches has something darker and murkier running underneath it, where this is lighter and brighter with the touch of orange, but they're very, very similar. The orange does fade down quite quickly though, and as it dries, there's almost the tiniest hint of...leather? :think:

It is very nice, but it doesn't last particularly long on my skin. I think if I didn't already have a bottle of Three Witches, this would be an amazing nostalgia score for me, but as it is, I doubt it'll get worn enough to justify keeping it...