Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Brown sugar, sassafras, clove, and wild plum.

No offense, but this is the cloying scent of walking into Yankee Candle, and not in a good way. Next!

In the bottle, it's a sweet, spicy, slightly fruity sassafras. On me, it's a spicy plum, without any sassafras. The drydown is mostly sweet clove. It's very nice for a cool, rainy day like today is.

Spicebush Swallowtail

On: This smells like spicy maple syrup on me.

1 hour in: Incredibly spicy with a hint of sweetness.

2.5 hours in: All spice.

5.5 hours in: Still mostly spicy, but with a hint of that maple syrup note from when I first put it on.

Overall: Spicy scents don't really do it for me, and this is no exception. It smells nice on me, but that's all.

I love spicy scents. I don't usually like sassafras, and BPAL's sugar scents often don't agree with me, but somehow this all works on my skin. It's like wearable spice bread without any of my butter/pastry notes of doom. I can't really pick out the plum at all, but it's yummy just the same.

Sweet, lightly spiced brown sugar in the bottle. Like a light, golden brown sugar. Wet, it turns into a pink bubblegum sweet with a dribble of root beer. Dry, it pretty much stays the same. It has a light throw, and I cannot detect any brown sugar. Just root beer bubblegum with a touch of clove.

Sweet, lightly spiced brown sugar in the bottle. Like a light, golden brown sugar. Wet, it turns into a pink bubblegum sweet with a dribble of root beer. Dry, it pretty much stays the same. It has a light throw, and I cannot detect any brown sugar. Just root beer bubblegum with a touch of clove.

ITI: Wow, the brown sugar certainly is dominant. I have to tease through it in order to find the clove and the sassafras, both of which are usually strong notes.

Wet: Much more balanced on my skin - sassafras melds well with the sugar and the clove, lending itself to a warm, fuzzy image in my head. There is the hint of wild plum when one concentrates as well.

Dry: Warm, fuzzy clove and brown sugar with faint sassafras. The plum is no longer evident, but it is still a nice scent.

In the imp: Brown sugar and spices. I want to eat this up!

Wet: Sweet clove and anise. Just lovely.

Dry: A beautiful gourmand and spice blend. Will be keeping my eyes peeled for a bottle!

wet in the bottle it smells like brown sugar. Definitely foody, it reminded me of Following Instructions, which I like.

dry on me smells like plastic and I never got the plum :( from this scent. It calms down to light sugared scent, its not a love for me. The notes are intriguing though

In the bottle - Brown sugar and treacle with an almost medicinal undertone

Wet on me - Dark, treacly sugar with that slight chemical undertone

Dry on me - Faint whisps of chocolate

Overall - Wet (if you could avoid the slightly chemical note) this is a fairly good dupe of my beloved Sugar Skull 2004, but it just doesn't have the staying power

This has the same kind of brown sugar as in my beloved Sugar Skull, with spices added. Very wearable and work safe on me. Love it!:wub2:

In the bottle - Full, plummy goodness with some spice.

Wet - The brown sugar in this is VERY reminiscent of Sugar Skull. Sassafras is always a favorite for me, and the kick of clove spice just seals it all together into pure WIN.

Drydown - Minimal morphing. It’s a tad drier than before, but this dusky brown sugar is just as welcome as it was when it was fresh.

Verdict - This will get steady wear in my collection, especially in the fall.

In the bottle this is straight up sharp clove, gets more depth on the skin. The sugar, although not in the foreground, grounds this. And the plum/sassafras give this a wild, feral edge.

Someone early in the reviews mention Chinese dried salty plum candies, and that's definitely resonating for me!

Even more so though, this scent reminds me of the aroma of making salty plum candies and pickled plums with my foster family. Really the only thing that it's missing is star anise to fully evoke that memory (I may try layering it with an anise forward scent at some point to evoke that part even more strongly).

It's tart plums, warmed with brown sugar and clove. Sassafras lends some of the herbal, earthy notes of the other herbs and spices that would go in to the cooking down of the plums for candies and pickled plums.

This is a delight, and while it is sweet, it's not too sweet.

I see Shadowetienne and I accidentally coordinated again. I ALSO tested Spicebush Swallowtail today. My impression is very similar to his, though I think I am getting more sassafras and less plum. Still, and absolute delight. Not too much throw, but enough for a general feeling of warmth while I am wearing it.