Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

RIVET.GOTH
Black leather, tobacco absolute, rust, gritty musk, and machine oil.

Rivet.Goth is unique amongst BPAL leather blends, and I am in :heart: with it. This isn't the fresh leather 'new car' scent, nor is it the old leather of Dead Man's Hand. What I get is well-loved, butter soft dark leather overlaid with a sexy musk, and a whiff of smoke. My overall impression is that of a sexy superhero, complete with leather suit. So, so good. :love!:

In the bottle I could definitely smell the machine oil, but not in a bad way at all. On me, it smells like a suede/raw soft leather and a man musk-this is a gorgeous scent and very me. I don't notice too much tobacco just an impression of light smokiness. After half an hour or so the machine oil peeks out and plays around with the other notes, but doesn't stay for long.

This is a sexy scent and reminds of a mechanic who just crawled out from under the car covered in car juice, radiating musky sweat, with the sun's heat amplifying the smell of the cars leather interior. :)

This was my absolute FAVOURITE of all the Bat's Day scents, to my total surprise. I was expecting the De Sade/Spanked style leather, and instead it was my beloved old, worn, sueded Dead Man's Hand/The Traveller style! It's primarily that leather note, which I amp, with a bit of salty, salty rusty metal and an understated sexy musk beneath it all tying the blend together. I suspect the saltiness may be the 'machine oil' and will review more thoroughly later.

:wub2:

Edited by fairnymph

Rivet.Goth - This was, for me, the surprise hit of the bunch. When I read the scent description, "machine oil" scared me away. I planned to stay far, far away, until I was standing at the Black Market booth and fairnymph stuck her arm under my nose, and I was instantly mesmerized. I had to have it! I had to wear it! NOW! That evening, I wore Rivet.Goth and kept sniffing my arm. My husband commented that I groaned in delight every time I sniffed. I didn't have any idea I was doing that. It was kind of embarrassing. But still, that's how gorgeous this scent is. It's totally the scent of Dead Man's Hand leather, well-worn, soft, oiled, and loved. The tobacco gives the scent the slightest bit of smooth huskiness. The machine oil doesn't smell like the floor of a mechanic's shop or the sweaty shirt of a mechanic. It's more like the scent of fresh oil applied to metal workings to make them run smoothly. I really can't add anything the other reviewers didn't already say. Simply put: it's AWESOME. It's sexy, it's gorgeous, and I think I may have finally found the scent that has convinced my husband that he should wear BPAL, too. He likes it way more than any of the other "dude" scents I stuck in front of him at the BPAL booth the other day. Of course, that doesn't mean he gets my bottle. I'll be wearing it myself, too.

RIVETGOTH

In Bottle: Pure leather

On Skin: Drop dead sexy leather. Oiled leather... nice and supple. I remember using a wax on my leather coat to keep it soft and pliable and that's what this reminds me of... caressing the oils into the leather... warm and soft. It also reminds me of my husband because I make him wear almost every leather scent I find. This is very manly and over the top sexy. Whip is one of my least favorite scents because to me it smells like a sweaty, smoky, never been washed leather coat... whereas RivetGoth smells like a man in a nice expensive leather coat in a peacoat style. Sophisticated and clean and uber-man. This is going to become a comfort scent for me for when my husband is out of town and I want to feel like I'm in his arms. It absolutely swaddles me. Very strong throw and long enduring wearlength.

Got my bottle of Rivet.Goth today, and I can say that I now have a new favourite scent. :) This one definitely goes in my top five leather scents, and possibly my top five of all time. It's just amazing, and I think I might need to hoard it, because I will cry if I ever finish the bottle and don't have more. With Rivet.Goth I get leather most of all, but in the bottle, there's a little of all the notes. It smells a lot like an old, well-loved leather jacket, actually, one where the tobacco smoke and the wearer's skin scent have soaked into the leather along with the oil from a shiny black motorcycle or vintage car. Wet, I get leather and musk with a whirl of smoke. Dry, it's LEATHER! with the musk and oil still there, but taking a back seat to the sheer gorgeous leatheryness of the blend. I can't stop huffing my wrists right now. >.< I am so, so, so glad I got my hands on a bottle of this. I think it equals, if not surpasses Crowley as my absolute favourite sexy leather scent. :love!:

Edited by Hominivorax

This one scared me at first - I was biting my nails, smelling only oil and metal, and listening to my roommate ask "What smells like pool water?" - and I couldn't figure out why everyone was going so crazy over it....and then it morphed ;)

It's that leather seats in a sports' car smell to me now right after they have been cleaned and rubbed with conditioner - it's a very soft, sexy, warm leather smell - with a subtle musk rounding everything out (with only a tiny whiff of a metallic note every once in awhile). Gorgeously unisex :wub3:

Edited by GirlinDenial

Right after application, all I could smell was gritty machine oil. However, the leather note did begin to emerge after a couple minutes on my skin. I get the smell of well-oiled leather, a slight metallic note, and occasional whiffs of tobacco on the dry down. Though not my favorite of the Bat's Day 2010 scents, it has its redeeming qualities.

This... reminds me of my ex-boyfriend. Soft, well-worn, slightly sweet leather and a hint of that oil smell that people get after working on cars. The oil smell only lasts for a few minutes on my skin, though. Rivet.Goth is mostly a gentle, comforting leather single note on my skin. It's like having a man you like fold you up in his well loved leather jacket for a hug. Nice. A lot of bpal's leather blends smell similar to me, but I think this is the closest to a pure, soft leather. It's nothing like the intense, dark, slightly smoky leather of De Sade. It's more of a gentle Quincey Morris or The Traveller leather...

ETA: Rivet.Goth and Gothabilly haven't aged well at all. Rivet now reminds me of Thunder & Blazes' dusty, soured leather (only this lacks the grass & dirt notes that make the other more wearable for me) with an almost tobacco-y edge. I don't find it very soft and wearable anymore...

Edited by Little Bird

asfkl Oh, this is so good. Slick black leather and metal and OMG I just want to BATHE in it. I can't even give a coherent review, it's that good!

In bottle: black leather. Wet: Almost frightening how each note listed can be picked out! Wow; I woke my husband up to smell this one, and insisted on telling him each individual note. This is really amazing, what a work of art!

Bleeechhhhhhh. Ew, so much ew. The leather came on strong at first, which was nice (though not anything that I want to smell like) but it was quickly overtaken by a metallic, oily scent. It literally does smell like the inside of a mechanic's shop, so kudos to the lab on their ability to re-create this smell! I just don't want it anywhere near my skin. :)

Oooohh. This is hot.

I don't normally say that but this warrants it. I love this. Reminds me of hanging out in garages with antique cars & leather seats, gloves, etc... whoa! Then there's something that reminds me of a friend's cottage in upstate NY? Weird!

Slick, soft leather and machine oil. It's got a gritty, sexy vibe to it. I am in serious lust with this blend. :thud:

I must preface this review by saying that I have been spoilt with a plethora of BPAL leather blends lately, due to my current obsession of finding "the one". So far, Spanked is my all-time fave but due to its impossible-to-find-without-winning-the-lottery status, Crowley is my #1 and (for me) is going to be very hard to knock down from that position. I like my leather blends complex, hot, throbbing, pulsing and menacing. Whilst I enjoy the softness of leathers like Sacrifice and NGG023, I prefer my BPAL leathers to have some oomph.

Bearing all that in mind, Rivet.Goth comes in to the race with high expectations behind him. The leather is very nice - but it's like new leather (ever bought a brand new leather jacket?) - very fresh and clean. The tobacco absolute note is lovely - it was quite sweet at first, but when fully dried down it changed into a nice golden bitterness. The musk, sadly, is more sweet than 'gritty' for me - I was hoping for a darker musk in this one. And machine oil.. hmm.. can't say I'm really picking that up, although there is a slight air de mechanic shop around everything in this.

So.. to me, this is the scent of the little guy on the bottle. The wanna-be tough goth, who's got a new leather coat that he keeps shiny and clean and is really not the tough guy people think he is*. Rivet.Goth is just not enough of a standout from other similar blends to really make me take notice. It's nice though, don't get me wrong, but just.. kinda weak. Lacking in grunt. Pretty boy leather :)

*with no offence meant to anyone who is into this style of goth-dom!

So, having received one of my two bottles today...

In Bottle: Slightly metallic and a little sweet, like the inside of a mechanic's shop. Not bad, so far, and nothing I feel leery about putting on my skin. (Especially since I already know the leather note in this is the one that will work on me.)

Wet: Mostly fresh, clean, new leather. Not quite so supple as jacket leather. Boot leather... or the leather they use on the interior of cars that aren't super high end. It's a tougher sort of leather. Could possibly be the stiff leather used for a thick apron or an older military type leather coat. The kind of leather that could be soft, if you handled it and oiled and polished it often, but for now is quite sturdy and stiff. There's still a slightly metallic undertone to it, but it's mostly about that leather note. Which, you know, if it weren't for the fact that it was a bit tricky getting two bottles of this for what I would consider a decent price, I wouldn't mind if it stayed just the leather note. Also, it's keeping really faint and close to my skin... but I am not applying more, since the last time I applied more when I couldn't smell something on my skin, I ended up having a 12 hour long cloud of FOOM surrounding me.

Dry: And how did I know it was going to start throwing like crazy? Heh. I take back what I said about new leather. Now that it's dried and strengthened, it's taken on a much older character. Less of that old style military issue leather coat when it was new; now it's that same coat about 50 years later, having seen much use and abuse at the hands of many owners. The sort of coat I would love to own and burrow down into. It smells warm to me, as in, if I sniff along my arm, there's a noticeably warmer spot when my nose is right over where I applied this oil. Getting somewhat closer, I can smell the sweet metal of a mechanic's shop... and also, it smells remarkably like my car does when it's been just cleaned out and I have the heat on, albeit without the saffron. (Yah, for whatever reason, when I have the heat on in my car, it smells like I spilled a bottle of saffron in there. I don't get it, but people who've been in my car who know the scent of saffron agree.) There's a soft musk to it; harsher than the skin and brown musks I prefer, but it's not at all the rawness of red or the depth of black on me. It's definitely a gritty one. Finally, there is, up close and personal, the deep tang of rusted iron in the back of my nose. Vaguely reminiscent of the blood accord... which makes sense, considering iron is a major component of both blood and rust.

It's throwing mostly the old, soft leather... but then, I only have a tiny dab of it on for testing purposes. I imagine if I had enough on for what I would consider a wear, then I would be getting the other notes in the throw. All in all, it's very nice. Not quite sexy mpfh, but more comfortable and wearable. A definite keeper.

Oddly, I am not getting any tobacco. I would know tobacco when I smell it, too, considering I much enjoy a good cigar. Perhaps a bit of smokiness around the edges, but it's not making me think of tobacco. Just adds to that overall mechanic feel.

Keeping in mind that I am mid-migraine: This is a nice, wearable leather scent for me. At first, it was a very sharp leather and I really thought it was going to have to go. But it's dried down to a nice, almost comforting (if I didn't have a headache) scent. I don't really get the "oil" but maybe that was what was contributing to the sharpness during the wet stage... Anyway, I do like this and will definitely be keeping my decant :)

ETA: after a couple of hours, it's more of just a clean leather scent. Nice but not as yummy as before.

Edited by Molls

In Bottle: Leather and oil. It kinda smells like a new car to me.

Wet on skin: It kinda smells like new leather and old, dirty machinery. It's got a bit of an "artificial" smell to it that I'm not really fond of.

Drydown (3 minutes): Still artificial smelling. I think that's the oil talking to me. Or rather, yelling obscenities outside the goth club at me.

Drydown (5 minutes): Yeah... this doesn't really change on me.

Overall Impression: This is so not my scent at all. I'm not a big fan of the in-your-face leather notes, and that and the oil is all I get out of this.

This one is actually triggering my gag reflex. It smells like fresh leather with machine oil. :blink: Like a mechanic fresh from the body shop covered in leather, machine oil with hints of sweat. On the right man this would be AMAZING! On me...its too much!

I agree with Dark Alice. It's masculine fresh leather and machine oil, though to me it's not unpleasant. I usually prefer sweet scents but I'm liking this one. It's more the memories the scent provokes than the scent itself I think.

Oooh, this is a nice, soft, warm leather blend. Not shiny De Sade leather or rugged, western leather, but rather a stiff suede. (It's like a fresher Saloon #10.) There's a hint of musk underlying it, and something vaguely dirt-like as well. The machine oil? This is sexy. Definitely something anyone who likes leather would want to try.

A sweet leather with a hint of motor oil. Strange, but it actually smells kinda good! This is a yummy worn leather.

Sadly this one is very faint on me and fades pretty quickly. I guess I just don't have the man chemistry that would completely pull this scent off!! ;)

in the vial yuck! sharp!

wet on skin haha, neat! it's leathertobaccorustoil! seriously gross, but incredibly fun.

dry on skin more rust, less tobacco. it smells like... chemical fertilizer! that's it! it's farrrrr too sharp to be pleasant.

one of the most disgusting things i've ever skin-tested, but it was my pleasure to do so. i love, love, love these concept blends!

Oh. Swoon. Lust. Drool.

In the bottle: A bit sharp. Leather and metal. Hmm, but it is intriguing.

Wet: Oh, give it a little space and it starts to really develop. Definitely black leather, but not like Black Rider which I thought was more pleather.

Dry: Oh Hai Sexeh! Musky worn leather, machine oil, metallic... all I need is a man to put this on. Unfortunately DH is not into it. Mayhaps I'll sneak it on him while he is sleeping. :ninja: ;)

Edited by Xanon

This is absolutely divine on my boyfriend. It's a rich, supple, dark leather with the high pitched tingle of machine oil. He was spot on when he said it smelled like an expensive car... or perhaps the sexy mechanic who just finished tuning it up? icon_wink.gif He immediately logged onto BPAL and (bless his naive heart) searched for other "leather" blends 00000288.gif I offered to track him down something with a similar leather note from GC.. It sounds like Crowley might be a good choice. Aaaaand being the good gf I am I may have tracked down another decant of Rivet.goth for the boy... icon_biggrin.gif

ETA 03/06/11 LOVE this blend. We have managed to track down most of a bottle's worth of decants but still wear it only for special occasions. On me it is divine, dark leather. It smells just like my favorite pair of Dr Martens. As it continues to wear it becomes warm and slightly musky. It is definitely unisex, but I have no trouble wearing it at all because it lacks the "mens cologne" notes I usually associate with "masculine" blends. Overall, a real favorite, and I hope that someday we can maybe track down even more :D

Edited by MCS4096