Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

For gender-fluid I would definitely recommend some slightly masculine, but not too much, blends like Dorian or Jareth. Because David Bowie :)

A ray of sunshine makes me think of bright blends like Alice and Katharina, as well as bright, orangey scents like Tweedledee.

You might also like Zephyr.

Sorry this is a little fuzzy new to the forum my quoting with iron itself out eventually after awhile :) Of those Zephyr and Tweedledee are in my wish list, but not the rest. Been meaning to add Dorian as so many rave about that one and maybe a little sexy will be good :)

Even though I have zero interest in being sexy to other people, I do enjoy some of the sexy blends :D I like if they really evoke a character, and I think both Dorian and Jareth do.

I'm not sure there are any asexual-themed scents, except maybe Sherlock Holmes :D

Thought I would give this a go, I am a 22 year old college student that is studying pre-vet as my major. I have been described as intelligent, friendly, quirky, sweet and kind. I have also been described as too nice, emotional, sensitive and stubborn. I love being around animals, currently I get to be around baby horses all the time and am loving it. I even have interned at a zoo where I lived on the property and got to take care of the animals for 4 weeks. I also love to have my alone time and watch shows on Netflix and Hulu, mostly Criminal Minds, Say Yes to The Dress and CSI. I am interested in all things makeup, and fashion. I have drawers and shelves of makeup and my entire cabinet in the bathroom in just perfume bottles which last count I had 10 bottles from one brand so its a lot. I have too many clothes for my closet and I have a shoe addiction. I enjoy making jewelry, baking, cooking and playing with my hedgehog Harvey. In my avatar picture I am the redhead with leaves for eyebrows as I was Poison Ivy for Halloween.

Thought I would give this a go.

I've never responded to one of these before and I'm excited to.

Ranger (Untamed wilderness: buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva.) - For someone in tune with nature! (The leather on this is kind of strong on me. Arkham is another forest scent I tried recently that is much more florally. I find the violet note comes forth the most in it.)

Croquet (Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk) - Hedgehog musk! :D

Pele (muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms) - idk! this scent is sweet and bright, a bit tropical.

Brusque Violet (Violet petal, violet leaf, osmanthus, orris, mint, and opoponax) - A bit quirky, rather sweet, definitely stubborn.

Hollywood Babylon (The essence of innocence shattered: glittering Egyptian amber and heliotrope, infused with the sweetness of strawberry and vanilla - dragged into debauch by lusty red musk and a dribble of black cherry) - "all things makeup and fashion" just made me think of this one, both in sweetness and subject matter!

Vixen (The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.) - Another one that's just sweet and pretty, but unusual.

Voodoo Lily - bonus Poison Ivy scent. This is a heady, spicy lily, almost a little fruity.

This looks like fun. I'd like to play. I'm a voracious reader who loves to learn and really digs nature... But, not in that "purposeful hiking" way. I mean that I have to be outside. I like to just sit and feel the grass, watch the trees and listen to the water. Meandering, I guess. I like to grow things. It doesn't matter what I'm growing as long as I do, but my preference is for growing food. The man calls me a hippie because I grow food expressly for the pleasure of feeding people with it. I forage for the same reason. I love flowers, especially the ones that people consider "weeds" - like dandelions, periwinkle, violets and daisies. I try to be more cynical, but I'm a hopeless romantic that's in love with the idea of love, and I like to get along with everyone. It takes me a long time to get angry, but when I do, it's really bad. So, any recs for the book loving, tree-hugging, dandelion-picking, cucumber-growing, occasionally vengeful girl??

Edited by SunsetKay

This looks like fun. I'd like to play. I'm a voracious reader who loves to learn and really digs nature... But, not in that "purposeful hiking" way. I mean that I have to be outside. I like to just sit and feel the grass, watch the trees and listen to the water. Meandering, I guess. I like to grow things. It doesn't matter what I'm growing as long as I do, but my preference is for growing food. The man calls me a hippie because I grow food expressly for the pleasure of feeding people with it. I forage for the same reason. I love flowers, especially the ones that people consider "weeds" - like dandelions, periwinkle, violets and daisies. I try to be more cynical, but I'm a hopeless romantic that's in love with the idea of love, and I like to get along with everyone. It takes me a long time to get angry, but when I do, it's really bad. So, any recs for the book loving, tree-hugging, dandelion-picking, cucumber-growing, occasionally vengeful girl??

Definitely gonna recommend Coraline Jones: “No,” said Coraline. “I don't want to do those things. I want to explore.” Dry grass, clean skin, and a little bit of mossy berry.

Squirting Cucumber: Yikes! A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.
Hopeless romantic in love that gets vengeful? How about Edith Cushing: Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind: pearlescent vanilla musk with white sandalwood, grey amber, white patchouli, ambrette seed, and oudh.
Fairy Wine: An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.
Host of Air: Peat and rolling grass-covered hills, with wine-dappled heather, white clover, cloudberry, juniper berry, bluebell, dandelion, and cross-leaved heath.
Depending on how stereotypically hippie you are, you can't get much more hipppie than Ask the Nearest Hippie haha!: patchouli, hemp, smoky vanilla bean, and cannabis accord.

Definitely gonna recommend Coraline Jones: No, said Coraline. I don't want to do those things. I want to explore. Dry grass, clean skin, and a little bit of mossy berry.

Hopeless romantic in love that gets vengeful? How about Edith Cushing: Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind: pearlescent vanilla musk with white sandalwood, grey amber, white patchouli, ambrette seed, and oudh.

Fairy Wine: An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.

Host of Air: Peat and rolling grass-covered hills, with wine-dappled heather, white clover, cloudberry, juniper berry, bluebell, dandelion, and cross-leaved heath.

Depending on how stereotypically hippie you are, you can't get much more hipppie than Ask the Nearest Hippie haha!: patchouli, hemp, smoky vanilla bean, and cannabis accord.

Coraline Jones, Edith Cushing, Fairy Wine and Host of Air sound PERFECT! I have more scents to add to my wishlist! Squee! I might go straight ahead and put Coraline and Fairy Wine on my next order to try! Excellent recs! Thank you!

And also, I might have to throw in Ask the Nearest Hippie for the man. The cannabis accord scares me, but it might drive the man nuts. Lol.

Edited by SunsetKay

Unfortunately Host of Air is LE and no longer available but you might have luck in the forum sales or on the BPAL Facebook! I should have mentioned it, sorry! But you should be able to get Coraline and Fairy Wine from the GC catalog! I forgot that Edith is now out of stock as well but lots of people are still gaga over the Crimson Peak scents so you might be able to find her floating around in the sales as well!

Unfortunately Host of Air is LE and no longer available but you might have luck in the forum sales or on the BPAL Facebook! I should have mentioned it, sorry! But you should be able to get Coraline and Fairy Wine from the GC catalog! I forgot that Edith is now out of stock as well but lots of people are still gaga over the Crimson Peak scents so you might be able to find her floating around in the sales as well!

No worries! Lol. I immediately ran to the website to throw them in my cart, and when I saw that two weren't there, I figured it out. I'll stalk the sales. :) :) Thanks again for the recommendations. :)

Hello! i just went through the past 10 pages of this just to make sure I hadnt posted once already and forgotten. I think Im safe.

My name is LIz, and I am 23 years of age. Im a pagan, potter, pansexual (try saying that 5 times fast). I am an Aries sun, and Aries moon and a Taurus rising. I love to garden, read, hike, and eat. I have a voracious appetite for life. For a living I teach pottery, work at a witchcraft store, read tarot and offer reiki, and sell the functional pots I make. My friends and partners would describe me as someone with drive and passion, stubborn and mule-headed, but also a huge softie behind closed doors. I find joy in the little rituals of life, beauty in the everyday occurrences. I love poetry and flowers, enough to have them tattooed on me. As a Slytherin I tend to be protective towards those I love, and willing to do whatever for their safety and happiness. I have a fascination with knives and sharp objects, candles, incense, and stones. I see myself as a fierce lioness and I try to project that strength.

Scents I know and love: The Lion, Bastet, O, Liz, Dracul, Iago, Mme Moriaty, Oblivion.
Not a huge fan of : Black Phoenix, anything aquatic ever, and cinnamon hurts my skin

Joyleaf, hello! I'm going to base these on your personality rather than necessarily the notes in the scents you like. Although I would have definitely mentioned Madame Moriarty if you hadn't already! Hope you don't mind. Will stay away from your nope scents though.

How about:

Bewitched: Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk. (For power through nature and witchcraft)

Leo: Egyptian amber, walnut bark, chamomile, frankincense, and saffron. (Lioness!)

Titania: A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon. (For a fairy queen!)
Anne Bonny: Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. (For a strong-hearted and headstrong woman if you identify as such.)
The Lights of Men's Lives: The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering. (Uh, candles basically.)
Snake Oil: Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla. (For a Slytherian! Consider also any of the new Snake Pit release or Snake Charmer.)
The Caterpillar: Heavy incense notes waft lazily through a mix of carnation, jasmine, bergamot, and neroli over a lush bed of dark mosses, iris blossom, deep patchouli and indolent vetiver. (Incense and dark flowers!)
Edited by SimplySyra

Thanks for the recs! I really want to track down Leo- I have both versions of Aries because as an Aries I felt it was necessary.
I already have my eye on like 4 of the snake pits, and Bewitched looks amazing.

I appreciate it!

Definitely gonna recommend Coraline Jones: “No,” said Coraline. “I don't want to do those things. I want to explore.” Dry grass, clean skin, and a little bit of mossy berry.

I managed to snag a bottle of Host of the Air, and it is freaking magnificent! This was an excellent recommendation - it truly smells like meandering through a meadow! Thanks!!

SunsetKay, I'd also recommend you hunt down a bottle of Venus Verticordia: Fickle dandelion florets dancing through honey-drenched wildflowers. It's a gorgeous sunny summer scent!

Ok I'll give this a try too! Let's see, I'm an INTP, Scorpio, Rooster, House Tyrell, Slytherin (usually Ravenclaw but Pottermore says I'm Slytherin and who am I to argue with JK?) Canadian redhead with ultra celtic roots. I'm an annoying walking contradictory mess of anxiety and depression, introversion and the tendency to whistle, sing and dance in public without caring. I can't even pin down a favorite color, or get a tattoo, because I love so many things! I'm a professional artist, my specialty being watercolor but I love creating anything out of everything, like making toys, mobiles and decorations like painted animals and figures. I love the works of artists like Mucha, Arthur Rackham, Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, Van Goh, and all the Pre-Raphealites. I'm pretty feminine and love nature, fantasy, myths and legends. I adore beautiful things and I find a lot of things beautiful. I am constantly stressed to within an inch of my sanity.

Edited by LadyLuckless

Heya, Joyleaf. My boyfriend is a double Aries like you.

I just want to add:

The Apothecary for your gardening: Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

Fighter for your knives, and because you like Iago, so leather: Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

Cheers.

Heya, Lady Luckless. Love your art picks so I'm going to roll with that!

I think Rackham and Pui-Mun Law have Titania written all over them. Which seems lately out of stock, sadly.

A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

As well as Night Scene from the recent Lupers, if you can find it, which also feels to me like an introverted scent:

Blue musk, white frankincense, wisteria blossoms, and lemon peel.

Now I want to pick some for Mucha, too, but it seems like so many could fit the bill there.

The bright colors and bold strokes of Van Gogh make me think of Macchu Piccu:

Sweet tropical fruits burst through deep, wet rainforest boughs, enormous steamy blossoms, over thin mountaintop breezes, mingled with the soft, rich golden scent of Peruvian amber.

As another redhead, I often go for ambers, honeys, forest scents and autumny things when picking a scent for style/self-expression of personal colors.

Cheers.

Heya, Joyleaf. My boyfriend is a double Aries like you.

I just want to add:

The Apothecary for your gardening: Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

Fighter for your knives, and because you like Iago, so leather: Leather, musk, blood, and steel.

Cheers.

I had an imp of Fighter that I specifically purchased for a friend, and now Im wishing I had gotten one for myself as well. Ill add it to my next order! Thanks!

I managed to snag a bottle of Host of the Air, and it is freaking magnificent! This was an excellent recommendation - it truly smells like meandering through a meadow! Thanks!!

Oh no! I forgot to check in on this thread again! I'm so glad to hear it worked out for you! <3

I'm going to go ahead and do the recommend me a scent thing as well, I think. I love giving recommendations but I love getting them, too! I kept putting it off because I have a hard time objectively describing myself but I'll do my best.

The quick and simple: INFJ, Leo/Cancer Cusp, Fire Rabbit, Ravenclaw.

The vague and considerably more complex: I tend to be quite low energy, much more of a night owl than a morning person. I enjoy controlled and limited social interaction, and can be quite amicable and sociable when necessary. However, I'm an introvert at heart and need lots of time to myself to recuperate after social interaction as I am very empathetic and tend to take in a lot of emotions from people around me. I have a highly stressful job and covet any relaxation time I get. My sense of humor can be somewhat sharp, self-depreciating, and deadpan, however, I try to be a kind person and value kindness in another person very highly. I take comfort in surrounding myself with things I find aesthetically pleasing to all of my senses thus my love of all things scented. I fill my living space with candles and room sprays and incense and pretty things. In a similar vein, I tend to enjoy wearing particular fashions that make me feel good. My wardrobe tends to rang from Japanese Lolita to Mori Girl to Goth/Punk to many things in between.

I enjoy creative writing, especially favoring fantasy-horror and urban-fairytale. However, I find it exhausting so I don't do as much of it as I did when I wasn't employed full time.

I like to read but don't get around to it as much as I used to. Some of my favorite authors are Terry Pratchett, Brian Jacques, and Garth Nix. I love fantasy, of course.

I occasionally play video games. Some of my favorite are Monster Hunter, Minecraft, Undertale, Pokemon, and Zelda.

When I was a child, I wanted to grow up to be a dragon. As an adult, that doesn't seem like such a bad career path after all.

In the light of day, I'm a realist who expects the worst. In the light of the stars, my heart feels freer to wander back to the romantic place it was born from.

I love the ocean, space, rain, and deep forests.

This has gotten a bit long. Oops!

Edited by SimplySyra

Has it been 3 months since this topic was updated!? No way, this thread is one of the most fun. Okay, picks for Syra -

A Thought From Propertius - Sweet honey, white apricot, and a touch of cayenne pepper.

Delight and Consternation - Bourbon vanilla, custard accord, white rose, cocoa absolute, oudh, lemon blossom, and skin musk.

Dragon Moon - Dragon’s blood resin, galbanum, blue sage, lavender, peppermint, sweetgrass, frankincense, moonglow magnolia, bergamot, and green cedar.

Druid - A woolen robe infused with the scent of a vast, primordial forest: ancient trees, fertile soil, wild herbs, spring grasses, and burgundy pitch incense.

Eldritch Drunken Constellations - Dizzying, swirling, starry madness: eucalyptus sap, white tea leaf, and ambergris foam.

Iulia, L'Artiste du Diable - White tea, sugar cane, orange blossom, rockrose, lemon balm, white mint, and honey.

Loli.Goth - An effervescent combination of pink musk, white peach, wild strawberry, pale woods, iris, and raspberry leaf.

Oceanus Procellarum - The Ocean of Storms: crystallized salt and opalescent moon stones buffeted by an illusion of wave-thrashed kelp and tattered seaweed.

The Final Darkness - Black amber and shimmering moonflower blackened by opoponax, khus attar, smoked oudh, and myrrh and all swallowed by the fathomless depths of a lightless ocean.

The Witches - Pumpkin cream, honey, vanilla sugar, and smoked vanilla bean.

Y'ha-nthlei - A great undersea metropolis located below Devil's Reef. A swirling, lightless, effervescent scent: the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris.

Hello!

I’m too new to BPAL to really recommend anything but perhaps we can fix that by getting me some recommendations of my own!

I am: Aries Sun, Leo Moon, Cancer Ascending.

I am: A Hufflepuff.

I am: 27, Queer, and currently figuring out what I want to do with myself.

I am: Artistic and a bit silly. Not a talker when I first meet people, but I love attention and will fight for it where I am comfortable. I don’t like to speak unless I feel prepared; I’m no good at improve but I’ve played the Lion in a high school production of the Wizard of Oz.

I have: A degree in creative writing but I do not read or write enough to convince anyone of my merits.

I love: Halloween and all things spooky, painting my nails, games (of the card, board, and video variety.)

I listen: To indie rock, punk, and just about everything else besides reggae and pop-country. I’ve recently been exploring Goth stuff old and new. My favorite bands are DEVO and the Magnetic Fields.

I am: Attracted to beards. That’s my type. Beards. A good mustache could also go a long way.

I feel: Like I just filled out dating profile. :tongue:

Last minute edit I thought up at lunch: I like to live between gender expectations when it comes to aesthetics. I don't know if I'll ever shave off my beard but I also love floral prints, pink things, and have recently gotten into nail art.

Edited by Gracklebait

Some picks for Syra:

Dee - soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Thalassa, The Galapagos Mermaid - Seaweed, kelp, salty ocean spray, bitter almond, night-blooming jasmine, frankincense, and benzoin.

Luna - Touareg tea, Asian pear, carnation, lime sugar, green musk, armoise, and thyme.

Venus Murcia - Crushed grass, honey myrtle, and dew-touched green musk.

Some picks for Gracklebait:

Philostratus' Phoenix - Rays of sunlight, shining with gold: amber glittering with orange blossom, Calabrian lemon, warm saffron, golden vegetal musk, and honeyed incense.

Tweedledum - Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

Bard - A ridiculously charismatic blend of bay rum, honey, and white musk mingling with the scent of harp wood and lute strings and the twang of horn brass.

Grand Guignol - Our Grand Guignol perfume is a shot of sweet apricot brandy; just enough to settle your nerves after a ghoulish, gory brush with the macabre.

I’m too new to BPAL to really recommend anything but perhaps we can fix that by getting me some recommendations of my own!

Dorian - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Gothic Horror - Byzantine incense, benzoin, myrrh, bitter clove, spikenard, oud, and ancient balsam.

Halloween: Las Vegas - Walls smeared with red and black frosting, copious amounts of spilled red wine, the leftover contents of three full bars, dry leaves and desert flowers crushed into carpet, tobacco smoke, and champaca incense in a cloud of body-heat amped Snake Oil and Dorian.

Miskatonic University - The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

Oberon - Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli.

Pussy (it's a moth I promise! haha) - Orange blossom honey, brown sugar, saffron, tonka absolute, and tobacco leaf.

The Lion - The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

Tristran - Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.

White Peacock - Teak, ebony wood, osmanthus, patchouli, red sandalwood, vanilla orchid, tonka bean, tobacco, wild musk, spikenard, and sugandh kokila.

Whoops, accidentally lost track of this thread. Thank you for the recommendations Balame and roseus.

Funnily enough, Balame, you named two of my favorites--Eldritch Drunken Constellations and Iulia! And have been on the hunt for Loli.Goth. Really digging your recommendation of Delight and Consternation, the Final Darkness, and Oceanus Procellarm! Thanks!
Roseus, Venus Murica sounds beautiful! I need to keep an eye open for it. And Dee has been mentioned many times with great affection on the forum so I'll definitely have to give it a go. Thank you!

Funnily enough, Balame, you named two of my favorites--Eldritch Drunken Constellations and Iulia! And have been on the hunt for Loli.Goth. Really digging your recommendation of Delight and Consternation, the Final Darkness, and Oceanus Procellarm! Thanks!

Oh that is funny! It's both nice and not when I'm able to name a favorite, because yay for successful guessing, but boo for not giving you something new to look at.

I'm glad some of the others sound enticing too! I have a teensy bit of Loli.Goth I hoard and it's great - unfortunately most of BPAL's fruits go a little plastic on me, but it has a rather realistic and sparkly strawberry in it!

As for the others, I know D&C and TFD are lovely, and I've been wanting to try Oceanus for ages, so I hope they'll work out beautifully on you! :)

Edited by Balame

I'm not new to BPAL but newish to the forum and LEs (was too scared to try most of them before I knew about decant circles!) I have found myself in a bit of a rut so I think it will be fun to try some recommendations based on things other than notes. Anyway here we go!

My name is Hailey, I am a 21 year old linguistics student. I am absolutely fascinated with all aspects of language, and my dream job would to be working in language restoration somewhere cold (or Hawai'i :biggrin:). I am an INFP. I can be very loud and bubbly, especially around people I am comfortable with but eventually mt social energy is drained and I need to retreat with a good book and a cup of tea to recharge. I am definitely feeling, I use my gut for making decisions most of the time, and emotions tend to be my biggest consideration for myself and other people. I can also tend to be swept up into emotions easily. I am excitable, quick to anger (but it does not last), easily infatuated, and I love intensely. I am a Libra sun/Aries moon/Libra rising. I am VERY indecisive. I would say weighing options constitutes a large portion of my day. A large part of my personality is humor. I love making people laugh, it's my go-to icebreaker and tool to bond with people. My favorite compliment is laughter or people telling me they think I'm funny.

I love adventure. Hiking, exploring the outdoors, and travelling are among my favorite things to do. I have recently gotten into bouldering as well. I am a huge bookworm, my favorite book is Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck and I have a tattoo of an octopus based off it. I also love to cook and bake. Cooking for friends and family is one of my favorite ways to share my love. I would describe my style generally as dark romantic. A lot of what I wear has Victorian touches. I also love contrasting things like textures and masculine and feminine elements. OH and I'm a Slytherin!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by roseus