Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chrysantza

Panther Moon

PANTHER MOON
Sein Blick ist vomVorübergehn der Stäbe
so müd geworden, daß er nichts mehr hält.
Ihm ist, als ob es tausend Stäbe gäbe
und hinter tausend Stäben keine Welt.

Der weiche Gang geschmeidig starker Schritte,
der sich im allerkleinsten Kreise dreht,
ist wie ein Tanz von Kraft um eine Mitte,
in der betäubt ein großer Wille steht.

Nur manchmal schiebt der Vorhang der Pupille
sich lautlos auf — dann geht ein Bild hinein,
geht durch der Glieder angespannte Stille —
und hört im Herzen auf zu sein.

His gaze those bars keep passing is so misted
with tiredness, it can take in nothing more.
He feels as though a thousand bars existed,
and no more world beyond them before.

Those supply-powerful paddings, turning there
in the tiniest of circles, well might be
the dance of forces round a center where
some mighty will stands paralyticly.

Just now and then the pupil’s noiseless shutter
is lifted — then an image will indart,
down through the limbs’ intensive stillness flutter,
and end its being in the heart.

(Rainer Maria Rilke. Translation by Walter Arndt.)

Gleaming black musk, mandrake, labdanum, black ginger, benzoin, champaca, ambergris accord, myrrh, and star anise.

So am I the first to review this bad boy, who just arrived in my mailbox <20 minutes ago? I guess I am!

I'm amazed, first of all, this hasn't gone VoldeMyrrh on me. It's not overpowering myrrh resin. Nor is it sickly licoricey star anise. The musk and the ambergris (I think) and champaca are making this really work well on me. It's sweet and powdery and almost - masculine, in a foppish way, kwim? It's resiney/musky combined with the sweetness of the champaca flower and is really very, very nice. A tamed pussycat panther rather than a wild one with teeth and claws. Definitely a keeper, and a prospective layer-er as well.

WOW. I'm glad I took a chance on this one. It's dark, smooth, and slinky. Heavy on the black musk (yay!) and myrrh, with a dash of sweetness from the anise and a pinch of salt from the ambergris. Unisex, for sure. And this will age wonderfully! Excellent.

Wet: Black musk which I love....and star anise which I hate.

Drydown: Where is my myrrh?....ah...there it is. Black musk with the barest hints of star anise. As long as the anise doesn't take over when this ages...this will definitely be in rotation this summer.

And my skin is eating this.

Edited by Dark Alice

Ok, who put Snake Charmer in my Panther Moon? Yeah that's pretty much what it smells like on me. It's dark and heavy, and if I put my nose too close to my wrist it gets me right in the sinuses. A tiny drop is all it takes, so the bottle could last forever. It also reminds me of a less musky Raven Moon, which I love. I don't dislike it, but for me at least, a little aging is needed. It lightens up some on the drydown and becomes kind of powdery, but a really good powder.

In bottle: dark pungent musk

On skin: lots of musk, mrowr!

Half-hour later: mellowed with some dusty champaca and myrrh

In conclusion: all the ingredients sounded great, except I was a bit squeamish of the ambergris and star anise. This ends up a sultry combo of dusky musk, like a barely lightened version of Smut.

This smells just like Scorpio '07 to me! And that makes me happy because I've been trying to find a backup to my lonely Scorpio '07 bottle to no avail. Interesting how Panther Moon reminds people of lots of different scents...

Imp, wet and dry all the same.

A musky champaca with an undertone of wax... A little goes a loooooooooooooooooooong way, which is nice so I won't need a backup bottle. It lasts forever on me too.

It reminds me of something but I can't remember what, only I know I like it... odd.

I have to say this is one of the interpretations that really wowed me. It's panther in a bottle.

Wet it's a little smoky and spicy. The champaca is there and I think I can pick out the ambergris doing that slightly salty, resinous thing. It's earthy too, must be the mandrake. As it dries the black musk emerges and sweetens it up. It does a good job of not having the black musk turn to baby powder, which black musk is prone to doing on me. It's very well-blended and seamless.

The star anise is a problem for me -- the more it dries down the more apparent that anise is, and I start having unwelcome associations with root beer. I know some people love the idea of smelling like root beer but I am not one of them. The champaca gets stronger too, and it's lovely, but that anise ...! Almost everything else in this blend is bound to age well, I wonder whether the anise will get quieter or louder with time.

Edited by odalisque

This is gorgeous. Some of BPAL's black musks turn plasticky on me, but this one is a real exception. It's shadowy, smooth and slightly sweet, and the notes that support it are just as beautiful. The resins really deepen the musk and add mystery, with the benzoin giving it a tinge of vanilla. The black ginger is just so sensual; combined with the champaca flower it lends a really exotic feel to this, like midnight in an exotic forest. I don't really get much of a licorice feel from the anise; it's somewhere there adding to the "black" feel but not prominent. Panther Moon has a very Snake Charmer feel about it, like Snake Charmer's darker and more sinister cousin.

MEOW! Panther Moon is everything I was hoping it would be. Dark and mysterious -- love it!

This is an awesome scent, but I'm getting an odd metallic note I can't actually figure out. If I don't sniff closely I get the deep resinous musky scent I expect, but up close, there's a sharp metallic note that makes me think this panther is in a cage it doesn't like. I like the Lab's metallic notes so this isn't a problem, but I just can't figure out where it's coming from. Maybe it's the tail end of RMW messing up my body chemistry... Will try again a bit later to see if it changes.

Tried it again off RMW, and it is deep, dark, and delicious. It's very close to my all-time fave, Minotaur. Sweet and dark and heavy, incense and resin, musk, YUM! There's still a tiny edge of metallic, but I'm wondering if that's the ginger. The throw is heavy, heady, and deep. Up close, there's all that, and that little slice of metal. It's a wonderful scent.

Edited by penemuel

This was my first Lunacy bottle purchased from the Lab-- from the description I thought it might be similar to Raven Moon, but I find it really nothing like that particular scent. It's not as heavy or Oriental in nature on my skin. I think I mostly get a dark musk and champaca, and the ambergris while it's wet. No ginger or anise that I can detect. It is by far the most "hippie, candle shop" scent I have tried from BPAL, and that's not necessarily a bad thing as I was sort of hoping to run into something of this nature. :P Very nocturnal, very black cat.

Panther Moon

In the imp: nag champa incense, with a swirling, mysterious black musk undertone.

Wet on skin: this is a dark skin stainer, but once on the skin, the musk unfurls.

Dry on skin: ohh, this is so good. The champaca in here is really nice-normally I dislike champaca but in here it smells like proper nag champa incense. Not a really thin, bland, tinny scent that I sometimes get from NC scents, but a rich, complex incense with spicy, woodsy, floral nuances, the way such incense scents should smell. The musk is the strongest note, and it’s not the sweet, almost vanilla scented and powdery black musk, but a more unisex type that smells so sexy! The ambergris here is definitely the salty type rather than the ambery type. The ginger adds a touch more spice, whilst myrrh darkens the musk in a way that reminds me of Minotaur. There is a tiny bit of anise but it is subtle and everything just works really well together.

After a while: this is actually quite subtle, but then again that’s fitting, as it evokes the image of a panther lurking in the shadows, silent and waiting to pounce. The musk then gives way to the champa which smells so good here, smoky and incense-y rather than like the cloying floral it usually turns into on me. Ginger and myrrh just add to the spice and incense I get here, whilst ambergris adds a sophisticated shimmering scent. It stays understated on my skin but gives off little spicy musky wafts every now and then, and at drydown it sweetens into a gorgeous black amber scent!

Verdict: mmrrrowww, this is awesome. Sensual and smoky and sleek, this is black and lithe like a shadowy cat stalking the jungle. Secretive, slightly threatening, dark and sultry, it evokes the panther perfectly (or should that be purrfectly?) with its smooth black musk and what could possibly be the best nag champa or champaca note ever-not just in BPAL but it the whole smelliverse. It’s understated yet incredibly sexy and exotic. I adore it and cannot wait to see how it ages!

Emoticon rating: :luv2:

Is it a keeper? yes!

If you like this, try: Velvet Panther, Gaueko, Temple Viper, Urd, Schwarzer Mond, Minotaur

Just out of the mailbox here! I did not review the notes/description before reviewing, so these are truly off-the-cuff impressions.

Wet on skin.....wait....is that SCHEREZADE? That must be champaca. I do looove champaca. I do not mind smelling somewhat like an overpriced new age shop :P Underneath I can smell the black musk, which I also like alot. As it warms a really nice woodiness begins to come through. I'm not getting any anise, and I remember from when I ordered that anise was a listed note, because I was scared of it. The oil is very, very dark. Darker than Black Temple Burlesque Troupe even. I have a round spot that looks like jaundice on my wrist. So far this is quite unisex, maybe even leaning towards feminine thanks to the champaca. I don't recall which spices (if any) this is supposed to have in it, but i'm sensing a sort of warmth in my nose that makes me think "spicy". It is spicy in a very good way!

Now nearly dry....I'm smelling a bit of sweetness. A very warm, slightly smoky, almost woodsy sweetness. The champaca is still there, dancing amonst the other notes. And the black musk, this is a really amazing musk! Yowza.

Overall: I like this way more than I thought I would. More than Raven Moon, which is thus far my favorite lunacy. This is comforting in a warm, velvety, dare i say "furry" way. But sexy in a slinky, smooth, feline way. I don't often find a scent both comforting and sexy. Those are the sort of scents I really love. I think this could easily be worn by a man or a woman. Excellent job, Beth!

When I used to live in this beach resort town I worked at a little eclectic hippie shop that sold books, incense, oils, etc. Panther Moon smells like that shop when we used to burn the heavier smelling incense in the evenings. I loved that smell mingling with the salty breezes. :)

At first this is almost all champaca, labdanum, and myrrh. I'm not crazy about this stage as it's almost too resinous, but as it dries the dark musk and ambergris come out to help soften the resins. I would never have guessed there was anise in this.

It's still very much an incense/head shop type of blend, but I actually like it more than I expected. I have a feeling this will age beautifully and I could see wearing this alot this fall/winter, or on rainy days like today. :)

Also, it's quite strong at first, so don't slather right away. It does seem to calm down quickly though, but to be on the safe side, take it easy with this one.

Perfection! So glad I got two bottles!

It's black musk, champaca, ambergris and anise.. beautifully mixed-- smooth and deep, no sharp edges. I agree there is a Snake Charmer feel to it. As it fades down its mostly glorious black musk. YUMMMM :yum: nom nom nom

1247117675_RHRJ7-Ti.jpg

This is by far the best nag champa blend I've smelled so far from BPAL. I love how it blends so seamlessly with the musk and champaca, and how the star anise doesn't stand out but I know it's there. I'm a huge fan of resinous, incense-y blends, and Panther Moon is certainly one of those. As others have mentioned, the notes might put one in mind of Raven Moon, but it's really quite a different blend. This is what I really expected from Velvet Panther, but more. So much more. Rawr! Mr. Stellans was quite impressed with this scent as well, commenting on how good it smelled. It's not often a scent will elicit a comment from him, so when it happens I take notice!

It only took a drop on either wrist to last me all night; the deep, luscious scent accompanied me deep into sleep, and the dreams which came were wild and feral. There was still just enough left to remind me of a good night's sleep when I woke up this morning. I love this Lunacy, and so very happy to add it to my monthly Lunacy rotation. 5 of 5 stars!

Edited by stellans

In the bottle, I'm getting the black musk, myrrh, and star anise. Really dark and prowly. On my skin, it's straight up black musk, and a really dark yellow color that stains the skin. The oil itself is a really dark brown. Ends up being black musk and myrrh and star anise on me, not that appealing for me.

Edited by Venneh

This smells exactly like Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa incense on me. I really like Nag champa so that's a good thing. My husband is apparently fond of straight-up hippie scents, and says this is his favorite of all of my BPAL perfumes. It has good staying power and moderate throw. Like everyone else, I agree that just a bit goes a long way.

This is definitely a dark scent. Darker than I'm used to wearing, but it really just works.

Wet, it is musk, incense, and a bit of sweetness. It's really well blended, and I won't pretend that I can pick out the nuances of each scent, but I know I got some musk, some laudanum, some myrrh, and a lot of incense. It's got a lot of strength, even as it dries. It's a thick, dark, smoky sweet scent. It's not something I would wear to the office! But I will totally wear this when I want something strong and sexy. It's definitely a nighttime scent!

Oh, and I didn't notice any star anise. :)

Panther Moon - HOT DAYUM THIS IS GOOD!!! I can't ever wear dark or black musk, but holy smokes, it's AWESOME on me in this scent. On me, it's mostly black musk, lots and lots of yummy warm soothing ambergris, a little bite of ginger, and then a mix of everything else. It's musky and smoky and sexy and sooo amazing. Another reviewer mentioned Snake Charmer. It does kind of feel like someone got their Snake Charmer in my ambergris-laden black musk. Rowrrrr!!! SEXY!!!

Really love this scent; dark, earthy and resinous. It reminds me strongly of a Mitti Attar that I own; mitti means "baked earth" and it's the initial note I pick up. Then the Nag Champa sets in - the scent is evocative of India. Quite lovely. Kudos Beth!

Well HELLOOOO THERE! :D I really like this!

*sniff sniff* Is that Lust? :blink: or Sin without the cinnamon? or Lucy Kissed without rose or violet? I pulled them all out and Lust v7 Prototype was the closest to it (well according to MY nose)... Yes yes, all very similar to me.

Wet: mmm.. dark resins

Dry: Same, but better. Made me a little woozy when I slathered too much on later though.. (note to self: must apply lightly).

Verdict: 4 out of 5 (Love). Seeking a bottle. Am glad I have similar enough blends to not need hoarding. I'd probably have rated it a 5 if I could handle slathering.

(ps. I pulled out Minotaur for comparison too, but they don't smell as much alike to me as the above others do. Neither did Schwarzer Mond, but Panther Moon is definitely in the same dark smooth resin family.)

(pps. Thank gods this isn't even close to Snake Charmer on me - I HATE that blend.)

Edited by rawgirl75

I was a total silly goose, and only got a decant of this when it was up. I just wore it for most of the week, and I am crazy about it.

With my skin chemistry this is Snake Charmer, but with civet and musk, and amber. So it's like a. . . it's like a panther charming a snake. Forbidden, cross-species love. And the amber in it works better on me than any other BPAL amber. I used to have good luck with them, but now my skin chemistry has changed, and they either disappear or turn to powder. But not this one! It's gorgeous, and I want to roll in it.

Love, love, love.

(I wish the lab could tell us in the announcements which ones are amazing. Like: "Pssst, order this!" It seems to happen sometimes that a Moon people pass up on is AMAZING, and it was Limited, so then there are only so many bottles around. I think this is one of them.)

This is my FAV moon of all time (well of all the one's I've tried since 2006)

No Snake Charmer in this for me. It's Smut with Nag Champa.

I :heart: this stuff and would love to be able to find another bottle because this is going to get some serious use.

:wub: