Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Three Witches

Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

I get pure cinnamon with this on as well, certain (lucky) days there's a very faint sweet clove in the background. I get more of the clove and a very faint hint of the pepper along with the cinnamon when I wear it in a scent locket however :P

Not much to be said beyond the description. This is the cinnamon I was looking for (and didn't get) with Wrath. The other notes only modify it, they don't really have a presence of their own. R.'s reaction: "Well, it's cinnamon." :P Very warm and pleasant; this is definitely one I'll be ordering in a larger bottle and wearing regularly. I'll probably also experiment with layering it; Bliss, Vice, and Swank are obvious potential pairings, and I'm curious to see how it will go with March Hare -- will the clove elements reinforce each other?

I sniffed this in the imp and wasn't really swayed either way so I set it aside for a test day on my skin. Well, that day was today.

Holy crap!! I put it on, and was overcome with the most delightful cinnamony spicy clove scent. Not only is it on me, but it just seems to be floating around the whole room. It's warm and so delightful, and a bit sexy even. I absolutely *love* it! I see candles in this scent's future!

Wow!!!

What a great find!

The sharp pepper predominates my imp... I was a little worried I'd smell funny with it on, but decided what the hey!

The spicey pepper scent died down on my wrist, leading to a lovely clove linger. Cinnamoney spice is the next note to stick out on my skin. What a nice warm oil!

The cinnamon stayed most of the day, by now (aprox 12 hours later) it has turned to a nice spicy sweet scent. Sort of like a fireball but not so fake candy-ish.

:P

I highly reccommend this one!

in vial: I smell the cinnamon, clove, and pepper...I feel like I am smelling my spice cabinet.

wet: same

dry: same

verdict: I love this, but it doesn't last as long as I'd like. Unfortunately, after two hours it has faded away entirely.

In the bottle and on first application, it smells sort of like a good chai latte with a bit of bite. It mellows to something sweeter, but with the bite still there. It doesn't change as much as other BPAL scents do on me. I love the bite of the pepper atop the cinnamon and clove - it gives it a nice, surprising note of depth.

I have a love/hate relationship with Herr Cinnamon. I love it, it beats my skin into a rashy oblivion. It gets into my nose and burns. It makes me weepy with its sadistic glee. So coupled with pepper and clove, it proves "Love Hurts."

"Bye-Bye, Mein Lieber Herr.

Farewell, mein Lieber Herr.

It was a fine affair,

But now it's over.

And though I used to care,

I need the open air.

You're better off without me,

Mein Herr."

Someone get me some open air. This one is making me run away. It reminds me, in a way, of Abramelin oil. You Thelema kids out there will know what I am talking about.

So this is going on a lot I have on Ebay, it will hopefully do better on someone else than me. I love cinnamon, but think I must reserve it to foods and teas, no putting on the skin or in the eyes. No matter how much I want to. My nose is actually running. Yikes. This is incredible stuff. Just give me a vat of carrier oil so it doesn't burn me.

I know that most people with less sensitivity will LOVE this. I can't get within 20 miles of a bottle WITHOUT breaking out. Unfair! Unfair! :P

I do think the Three Witches would smell more like Blue Moon than this. Think rue, fennel, mugwort, mandrake and belladonna. Herbs in a big witches' cauldron at the coldest, darkest part of night, with fog, mist and ghosts all around. This is more like they took a break to eat some pie. :D More like this:

"...Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the cauldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn and cauldron bubble... "

Ok, so butter scents are bad. Coconut bad. Vanilla bad, now cinnamon bad. Can I wear anything? :D

Edited by Madame Nyx

Hey! This is the second imp I've drained dry, and no review? What is wrong with me? :D

On me, the cinnamon dominates. I'm ever-so-slightly aware of the clove and white pepper, but only just. Nevertheless, Three Witches isn't particularly foody to my nose, nor is it overly sweet--no red hots here. More like sticking your nose in a jar of cinnamon sticks, as others have commented, with the dark sweetness of the clove (did I steal that from a review above me? It's a perfect description of how clove smells!) and the sparkiness of the pepper off in the background. Three Witches burns me only if I put it in a more sensitive spot, and even then only for about 30 seconds.

I've been reading the "parfum spray" thread with interest, regarding how a spray will encourage an oil blend to give up all its notes if your skin has been swallowing them. I think Three Witches will be the first oil I try that with; I want to experience the clove and pepper just a bit more. :P

I knew I had to buy this. First, because its primary note is cinnamon and because my sweet Irish boy loves cinnamon on a level that most people can only glimpse from afar and shake their heads at. His love is pure and true. He loves cinnamon in candy, in cooking, in smell. He puts cinnamon red-hots in his soda. He eats cinnamon altoids. He loves cinnamon. If cinnamon were a girl, I'd be dumped in a heartbeat. And second, because, well, I rather like the smell of cinnamon myself, even if I'm not so fond of cinnamon candy. We both smelled this fragrance at Black Broom, but they were (understandably) out, so it's been the long wait until we could have a bottle of it for our very own. It should be no surprise that it was the very first thing I slathered on when my order from the lab arrived.

In bottle: Cinnamon? Did I mention cinnamon? There's a little of pepper's hotness and the edginess of clove, but these are really secondary to that lush cinnamon scent. As several others have mentioned, it's not a red-hots cinnamon, but a cooking cinnamon stick smell. I would even go so far to say that this is not the smell of that variety of cinnamon we buy in the stores here in America called Cassia (used because it is more pungeant and thus has a longer effective shelf life) but Ceylon Cinnamon, which is more complex and fragrant and more of an old fashioned cinnamon smell.

Wet, on skin: The cinnamon is indeed strongest, but has an edge given to it by clove and pepper. The oil never burned (nice to know I don't have any particular sensitivity there) and has a good throw. This is very nice. A little embarassing though, as my boyfriend kept trying to eat my wrist.

Dry, on skin: The other two witches, clearly feeling they're being left out of things, decide to make their play. The scent morphs, and it's no longer Cinnamon and her two back-up cohorts, but Clove and her two back-up singers (now playing in the Macbeth room. They'll be here all week!) I can still smell cinnamon and pepper, but the clove smell is unmistakably predominant. I don't mind this development, actually, and it harkens me back to when I too was a teenage goth and the clove cigarettes that everyone smoked at the local dance club. (Ah, but it wasn't easy to be a teenage goth in MY day. We didn't have your convenient Hot Topics chain stores, Manic Panic hair dye or your fancy schmancy e-bay...no....in my day if we wanted to look like a refugee from a Charles Addams cartoon we raided thrift stores and dyed it all black with RIT and we were PROUD. Ahem. Sorry about that...) The scent fades pleasantly and had decent longevity on my skin.

Conclusion: Do I even need to add I bought a 10ml bottle of this? No regrets, either. After a day of wearing this my boyfriend looked at me and quite earnestly said: "You know, you don't need to buy any other perfume. If you wore this every day I'd be perfectly happy." He knows I'm not going to do that, but it's nice to know that he will always appreciate this particular scent. It also makes a really lovely room scent.

Edited by Macha

In the bottle: Yes, yes that is clove and cinnamon tempered with something that is spicey but not spicey. A kind of mild pepper scent.

Wet: Wow. This has more bite than the other oils with similar notes to them. This just leaps off my wrist with a "Smell me!" kind of attitude. It's not bad, and it reminds me of the wassel we made in high school. It laxes the ncie warmth that I found in Tintagel, though, and seems to be a more distant blends.

Dry down: Man, bloodhounds in California can probably smell me. I'm a little surprised that all this cinnamon hasn't made me break out in some kind of horrible rash by now because I something have problems with it and clove both. This is very bright and real and yet distant at the same time. It's cinnamon sticks that will not be ignored.

Dry: Still mostly cinnamon and clove on my skin. The pepper cannot stand up to these two powerhouse scents. I like it, but I don't want to smell of it and I'm worried about a reaction. Also smelling like food usually just isn't my thing.

Maybe it's a temporarily wonky skin chemistry, but instead of the three witches, I only got the one witch. The one living in a gingerbread house.

I'm not a fan of foody scents, so I'm not sure how much wear this is going to get. But I'll test it again in a couple of days and see how it smells then.

First sniff:

This is gorgeous! I love spicy scents and Three Witches is everything I ever wanted in that sort of scent. This smells like opening a spice cabinet and breathing in as deeply as you can. It's comforting and warm and very inviting smelling. I love this already! :D

Wet on skin:

This reminds me of Wrath, quite a bit, with the strong cinnamon note and the pepper in the background, but this is even more gorgeous than Wrath is. The cinnamon is the most prominent when I first put Three Witches on, but almost immediately the clove starts coming to the surface and making Three Witches deeper and more multi-dimensional. This smells like a cross between cinnamon sticks and Constant Comment tea, which happens to be my favorite. :D

Dry down:

Three Witches is still more like Two Witches on me. I get very strong cinnamon and clove but only the faintest hint of pepper. That's fine by me, though, because it seems the smell of white pepper isn't as easy to pull off as clove and cinnamon are, even though I love it. I love this! :P

The bottom line:

The perfect spice scent. It's strong, it's warm an it's comforting smelling. I'm seriously considering getting a bottle of this. :D

Wow, just wow... this is soooooo good! :P

I was genuinely surprised by how strongly the cloves came out (sneaky bastards tend to hide in my skin) and how they combined with the cinnamon. This is a different cinnamon than I'm used to in BPAL blends... this is a sweet and hot cinnamon, yet utterly not like Red Hots. I'm guessing it's the white pepper that is a sort of heaviness lingering in the background.

A very hot and bubbling scent, appropriately. :D

This is super-cinnamony at first. Big Red/Red Hots type cinnamony. Eventually, the cloves come through, but the cinnamon is still dominant. I'm not sure if the pepper ever shows up. I love the scent but it's kind of candle-like. I bet it will be fabulous in an oil burner. On my skin, I'd like something to detract from the cinnamon. So far, I've tried layering it with Vanilla Bean and mixing it into Lush's Sympathy for the Skin lotion, both with fantastic results--also Swank, which would make a very nice pairing for a burner. (Next, I'm going to try it with Sweet Clove and then tart's suggestion of Bliss. :P ) Three Witches really is incredible; it's great on its own, and also incredible when layered with others.

Three Witches - Oh, why did I wait so long to try you?

In the bottle: Clove, yet not overpowering. Fresh and spicy, with a hint of cinnamon. I kept trying for a whiff of white pepper, but no dice.

On me/wet: Clove, but a fresh, bright clove and hot cinnamon. Nowhere near the CLOVE in March Hare. Echoes of Gingerbread Poppet, but (dare I say it?) better. GP gets a little "old dusty cabinet" on me, where this stayed light and true. Pure magic! :P

On the first try, the overfull imp splattered all over my face. On the second try, it just rolled down my fingers. With this accidentally liberal application, I begin to get Red Hots. Who cares? I love Red Hots.

First Sniff: Cinnamon and clove. It is very spicy.

On my skin: Cinnamon. It almost made my eyes tear.

After 1 hour: It smells fabulous. Lots of cinnamon with a dash of clove and a hint of white pepper. But somehow it still doe not smell

"foody" if that makes any sense..

Final verdict: A great winter scent. Very spicy, just wearing it makes me feel hot! :D :P

This scent smells strongly of clove and cinnamon, in the bottle and on me. I found it to be a very steady scent- the scent didn't change at all and I wore it all day.

This is a very nice autumn scent, and works well with cold weather. It has a real warming vibe about it. I don't see myself wearing it much right now, as though I adore spicy scents, this one is just not right for spring. It will be perfect come October, so I need to remember that right around August, so that I can order a big bottle.

One note of caution- I didn't have any problems with the cinnamon in this burning my skin with regular wear, but I did put some of this on my neckline before blowdrying my hair and the excess heat of the blowdryer really did make my skin burn where the oil was. So, put this on after the blowdry and you'll be fine. :P

First sniff from the bottle- Freshly crushed cinnamon sticks

After 10 minutes- Dear God this is wonderful. The crushed cinnamon stick smell is dominate yet you can definitely smell the clove and white pepper coming through.

After 30 minutes- I really love the kick the white pepper gives this! It makes this smell more like Chinese Five spice as opposed to 'Red Hots' like most cinnamon scents do. Yummy!

Summery- I just happened to get an imp of this to try from a swap, but I already have a 5ml on order. I am so glad I took the plunge and ordered this unsniffed! I think this will be one of my signature scents! :P

Awesome! Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon! My SO generally hates any sort of fragrance, but he liked this one. This was all cinnamon on me, for hours, and I loved it!

Cinnamon, OK?! Mmmmm! :P

To me Three Witches is totally autumnal. Even more so than Samhain. It's like apple cider (though there's no apple). Just cinnamon with a little clove. Really fun and homey and comforting to wear.

Three Witches, to me, is completely enveloped by cinnamon from start to finish. When wet, I very faintly smell pepper, but it's pale...I guess because it's WHITE! I never really notice the clove, which is odd because it tends to trump everything else around it. I guess cinnamon is higher on the totem pole according to my skin :P

As Three Witches dries, a creamy base starts to emerge. It isn't very prominent, but it balances out the Christmas potpourri smell a bit and creates more of a "perfume blend" to me.

Overall, this is too spicey for me. I smell like a Christmas potpourri. Three Witches would smell HEAVENLY layered with something else...hmm, maybe Snake Oil. I'll have to try that.

in the vial and wet it was all cinnamon,

on dry down teh cloves and pepper become present, it does seem there is something else lurking, something a bit softer but i can't place teh note

Ooo! Cinnamon :P

That's exactly what it smelled like on me, and it lasted for a very long time. It reminds me of those hot cinnamon fireball candies.

Whe I applied this, the clove hit me first. A sweet, round clove, not too strong. The cinnamon gives it a warm, almost foody touch and the white pepper adds delicious sharpness. Like chili or pepper chocolate, though it doesn't smell of chocolate, but it's just the combo of sweet and spicy I'm getting. :P

In the bottle

spicy cloves

Wet

Yeah baby. This smells better than Beth's Yule blend "Gingerbread" I believe.

The pepper is a "whoo" kind of feeling, like when you just brush your teeth and there's that minty freshness? Except this isn't minty, it's peppery. But it does not come across at all as too harsh just makes it easier to breathe. It's blended perfectly with the clove and cinnamon. In fact the cinnamon and clove are blended so well they seem to make a spice all their own.

10 Minutes

This reminds me of Lush's "Skinny Dip" shower gel. It's what I wished my skin would smell of longer after use. Now it can.

20 minutes

Nothing's changed for the worse. It's still the spicy bakery type smell with a kick from the pepper.

Throw:

Light/Medium

Scent category:

Spicy/Foody

Summary

Good staying power.

This is Scrummy. Perfect for Autumn or the cold Holidays.

Purchase again?

Yes. A 5ml

1-5 rating, 5 being best.