Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
freneticfloetry

The Volstead Act

THE VOLSTEAD ACT
A bootlegger’s paradise. The scent of a Bizzy Izzy Highball: rye, sherry wine, pineapple syrup, and lemon.

In the bottle: I can't even pick out notes on this one, because it smells exactly like a nail polish I had as a kid. The polish was supposed to smell like bubble gum, and didn't quite succeed, but there was something in it that faintly resembled bubble gum, in a dark, twisted way. That's what this smells like.

Wet: Huh. And it smells nothing like that on my skin. It sweetens almost immediately - still dark, but round and warm. Nothing like nail polish, thankfully.

Drydown: I was really hoping for the pineapple, as it would've been something totally different for me, but the sherry is captivating. It's similar to the sugared plums I love in Queen of Spades, and there's something gritty and earthy underneath that must be the rye.

Dry: SWOON. I don't know what it did in the final stage, but it kicked into high gear - it's a little boozy, a lot sexy, and almost reminiscent of Voodoo Queen. But better somehow, if that can be believed. Absolutely my surprise favorite of the bunch.

Surprisingly pretty great, but not quite my thing - booze and fruit, but with a dark feel - not like the Tikis. Well-balanced, definitely boozy but not like a drunken bum - sophisticated cocktail feel, rather. The lemon isn't too strong, not at all Pledge, but true lemon, bright and tart, and it's the perfect counterpart to the syrupy-sweetness of the very realist pineapple (HOW does Beth do that?!). The sherry is what makes this a little too dark and heavy for me, but the rye is a really interesting note, like a smooth, rounded whiskey without the alcoholic harshness. Utterly unique and fascinating scent!

:thumbsup:

I shall update this review as I properly test all the new releases over the next 7-10 days, just an FYI.

Yummy! Fruit & Sherry. Syrup sweet. I say "fruit" because I really can't smell a distinct pineapple or lemon note. I love this one!

In the bottle it is all pineapple and what I assume is rye. It hits my skin Hello sherry I smell like a drunk for awhile. When it is finally completely dry it is a pineapple, lemon drink. Still a little sherry but wayyy tamer. May be better in my clocket to avoid the I smell like a raging drun part.

To me, this is sherry with a dash of something fruity and syrupy. It's an interesting blend, and one which manages to be sweet and dark at the same time once it's dried down. Might be a little too boozy for me, but it's fun nonetheless!To me, this is sherry with a dash of something fruity and syrupy. It's an interesting blend, and one which manages to be sweet and dark at the same time once it's dried down. Might be a little too boozy for me, but it's fun nonetheless!

Definitely smell the sherry wine as well as the pineapple. Quite syrupy. Very sweet with a good helping of booze. After a bit, the booze fades a bit and I can mostly just smell the pineapple syrup. I don't think I can ever smell any of the other notes.

Not bad, but not for me.

May be my screwed up skin chem, but this was Flintstone Vitamins all the way. I put it on before I rushed out the door and had to pause because I smelled like a vitamin bottle :lol: I didn't get booze, just a fruity vitamin smell. I suppose this is one I can put away for about half a year...

Pineapple, something alcoholic and something oddly savoury - like lettuce with a salty dressing.

I honestly don't know how it happened but I smell REALLY weird!

The Volstead Act

In the vial: Leaky vial, oh noes! Smells very winey/ grippy to me. Dark dark purpley red fruit smell. Opened vial, definitely boozy. Think I get a shot of pineapple, too. Then something thickly, syrupy, CHERRY.

Wet: SUPER CHERRY BOOZE!

Drydown: Wow, that obnoxious cherry (sorry cherry-smell-lovers, I can't stand the smell of cherries but love the fruit) burned off quickly! Left with a lemony pineapple. At first a sticky sweet pineapple, but ultimately am left with a eerily realistic pineapple scent.

Verdict: Unbearable in the vial, disliked wet. Drydown is actually pretty nice, but not something I love enough to hunt down more of. BIG THANK YOU to the C2E2 sniff circle started by GypsyRoseRed! :heart:

Hmmm...boozy, but not like Smut.

Fruity liquer, but not like the Atomic Luau scents.

kind of grainy...maybe that's the rye?

This was my least favorite of the C2E2 scents on first sniff but when it's on my skin, it smells like straight up grape jolly ranchers, which is a good thing as I am a big fan of grape!

The Volstead Act - This is all sherry and pineapple on me. I love the Lab's booze scents, and this is no exception. It's definitely a fun, fruity drink and now I want to find a recipe and make some myself! The throw is pretty strong, so as with all of the Lab's booze scents, I prefer not to wear it to work, but this would be fun for hanging out on a warm summer day or wearing to a party.

It smells like cough syrup/cold medicine I've taken while sick. I can detect hints of pineapple, but it's not enough to cover that cough syrup scent.

In the decant: Sweet, cloying, fruity alcohol.

Fresh on the skin: Very alcoholic, very fruity.

5 minutes in: Warm, fruity, alcoholic in a round way. Kinda dark for fruit.

10 minutes in: Basically, an alcoholic red fruit lollipop. I'm not sure where the redness comes from, given that the only fruits listed are pineapple and lemon, but I'm not complaining!

20 minutes in: Warm, alcoholic, fruity lollipop, yup.

40 minutes in: Rounded, fruity lollipop. I like this reasonably well so far.

1 hour in: Red fruit, hard candy, pretty pretty pretty.

2 hours in: Sweet, red, shiny fruity candy. But light and not at all cloying. I love this!

3 hours in: Fading to a light, airy version of itself. Still love it.

4 hours in: Still a bit candy-ish, but almost gone.

5 hours in: Tiny bit of sweetness left, but basically gone.

6 hours in: That last little bit is hanging on, but probably not for long.

Verdict: Delicious! I want more. Lots more! :D

One word: Lollipop.

I get a lot of pineapple on wet, but it dries to a super boozey cherry scent. Not my type of deal, but if you can handle booze, this one is a sweet one to try out!

This has an odd, sharp, chemical-boozy harshness to it when first applied, but it dries down to something like cherry & grape cough syrup and tons of sweet pineapple syrup on my skin. I like a lot of the lab's boozy scents, but the sweetness here is cloying and it's just a bit too fruity and sweet for me.

I wanted pineapple and lemon but ended up with sherry and rye. I think this might be one for a locket--the toothpick I used to apply the oil smells fruity, it just doesn't appear on my skin.

Sherry lollipops. In a really, really, good way. I could never have identified a single note without looking, thins is fruity but my skin amps the alcohol I guess which makes it not smell as sweet. I don't think I smell like a drunk. And I don't care, truthfully. I smell really good. Nom.

Thank you, bpalscentsual!

This is heavier than I expected. Not that it's a heavy scent, but I expected something very fizzy and boozy, and ended up with something warm, spicy, and lightly syrupy. This keeps morphing constantly. The pineapple was front and center (and so delicious) to begin with, but faded quickly. The only thing that stays steady is the sherry (yum!), which creates a sweet, dry, slightly creamy base. Every now and then, there's a little waft of lemon glaze. There's also some kind of warm spice keeping this close to my skin. Could it be cinnamon? Or maybe nutmeg? I don't think I've ever tried anything with a rye note before, but it's absolutely gorgeous, earthy and bright. The biggest surprise is that my skin keeps amping a mystery note that smells exactly like celery! Is it just a trick of the mind, or is it really celery? I don't know, but I love it! This is a really intriguing scent, far more deep and complex than I expected. It keeps me sniffing and guessing!

Edited by the.train.fiend

this smells like purple / grape scented erasers on me - you know like the little shaped scented ones from school? yeah, just like that! grape bubblegum vibes ~ 

Edited by kaileycatface