Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Teatime in Roswell

TEATIME IN ROSWELL
Weather balloon? No.
An alien autopsy,
A cover story.

In July of 1947, the US Air Force recovered the crash debris of multiple alien spacecrafts from a ranch close to Roswell, NM. Several aliens survived, but many perished. Both the living and the dead extraterrestrials were transported, in secret, to Hangar 18 at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, along with the flying saucer wreckage. The US government performed a quick, efficient cover-up: witnesses were silenced, and a press release was issued the next day claiming that the fallen craft was a weather balloon.

Aliens at high tea: Earl Grey, biscuits, Battenberg cake, and strangely-glowing cucumber sandwiches.

bottle: very sweet (yet light) cucumber, tea and faint cake.

wet: yummy! a nice cucumber cake scent. very light and fresh. the tea is somewhat faint but i catch pleasant wafts of it now and again.

dry: i get a more bread-y (i suppose "biscuit-y") scent as this dries, less cake-y sweet. the cucumber is very soft. lovely.

Wet - a full-on hit of cake and biscuits. It's bready and only mildly sweet. Nice!

Dry - it's a lightly floral cucumber. I'm sad because I never smelled the Earl Grey, which is a tea I adore for its bergamot scent. :cry2:

I was really holding out hope this would work because of the cake and tea, which is what it seems to be wet, but the drydown does disastrous things on my skin. The "strangely-glowing cucumber sandwiches" note takes over with a vengeance and ends up being very discordant with everything else, to the point that it starts to make me slightly nauseous and I have to scrub it off. It's not only the cucumber but something else in the "strangely-glowing" part that I can't quite place which clearly doesn't agree with my chemistry.

Edited by Invidiana

Richly sweet and foody, both sugary in a crystallized sugar syrup past sort of way, and buttery due to a definite strong tonka presence. I'm not sure that I would peg biscuits blind, but I feel like I can detect a hint of baking powder tang, and I definitely get some cake. The Earl Grey is smooth and delicious, perfectly brewed, but with not enough bergamot for my tastes - but then the lab's bergamot note is rarely strong and frequently absent to my nose. Sadly, I get only an extremely faint hint of fresh juicy cucumber. Both the tea and cucumber, the notes I love the most, are just strongly overwhelmed by the foody notes.

Much fainter on my skin - jeez, so far all of this line is really faint. The good news is that much of sweet and buttery cakey/foody notes dissipate instantly, while the cucumber and tea amp strongly (or as strongly as they can considering the weakness of this blend). It is a dramatic and very sudden, abrupt switch from the scent I got in the bottle, but I'm very pleased. Unfortunately, the butteriness seems to hold better than the sugary note, which I actually kind of liked, and I really dislike butteriness, so now I'm reminded of a very faint and much less buttery Bread-and-Butterfly - white lightly buttered bread. Maybe it's just the cucucumber SANDWICH aspect coming out. The tea is sharper, more tannic and brighter and actually has a bit more bergamot, shockingly! I *think* I a very faint hint of green musk, and I get a definite honedew melon note, so overall, this scent has become a bit neon and definitely green in feel, in a cool luminous way.

This dries virtually instantly, within a few seconds, even slathered. Nonetheless it definitely morphs after a few minutes of sitting on my skin; the buttery and foody notes fade almost to oblivion, while the cucumber note holds - and I'll note that it has a dark green tone, it's a little more bitter and vegetal, more peel than flesh, not the juicy note of Squirting Cucumber. The green musk has amped enough for me to positive of its existence and seems to be overlapping with the citrusy-bright earl grey tea, so that in combination with the even more amped melon note, I'm reminded strongly of 51. I even get 51's vaguely 'white floral' traditional perfumey feel, totally unexpected, but quite pleasant. I'm very pleased that the notes I disliked have died down while those I love have amped, but this remains a very faint scent that I would have to slather heavily, and I really have to get close to be able to smell this scent - it's very demure. But then, I adore 51...

The late drydown is very much like 51's, basically, slightly sharp, green musk and a slightly bitter hint of dark green cucumber rind. More vaguely I get traces of the now sticky-sweet but faintly juice honeydew melon, and the baked goods have gone to that odd almost dusty, musty powderiness that many such BPAL foody blends dry down to on me. The lovely earl grey tea is completely gone after a couple of hours or less. Overall, it's much, much better on my skin than the bottle smell would indicate, but it's a weak scent that requires a lot of slathering and still has almost no throw and fades quickly. Nice, but it doesn't make the cut for me.

:cry2:

Another mediocre scent, so far I'm 0/4, and this one most appealed. I'm devastated that this line just isn't working for me.

Edited by fairnymph

In the bottle: super foodie. Very very buttery cake, sort of like Eat Me but a little less of the sugar-zing.

Wet on wrist: A medium-heavy foodie cake, less sugary, more bread, but definitely *sweet* bread.

On the drydown: Ahh, there's the hint of cucumber. It sort of wafts between buttery-sweet biscuits and aloe. I like it. It's not too heavy, so it's a good springtime foodie scent that's ever so cool. I'm wondering if the sweetness of the biscuits that I'm detecting is the tea seeping in.

Anyway, as a foodie, I like it!

Its funny how our noses are all different. I am a foodie for sure, but I really dont find this blend to be too foody.

To me its tea. Tea and something sweet, which I imagine being the cake. Then something fresh, which my guess is the cucumber, but that disipates fast. Now I have tea and just a hint of cake. Its almost perfumy, but it stops before it becomes perfume. Its a really pretty blend. Definitely bottle worth, but I dont think is backup worth unless tea blends are your thing.

I was thinking I was maybe being silly for getting another cake scent. I already have Cake Smash and Huesos de Santo, and don't wear them enough despite liking them. But Teatime in Roswell is very different, and really not in the same category at all.

There is a little cake (more of it in the bottle than on the skin), but I would say that the foody part of this blend is dominated more by the biscuits (I'm assuming the English version of biscuits here). Like grainy, brown digestive biscuits. With a a sugary vanilla drizzle. But that's still not the heart of the scent. The cucumber (which is a little floral) and a citrusy tea are much more prominent than I expected. So the result is... cool vanilla cucumber-- a strange, but not unpleasant combination-- and weak tea with just a hint of the denser, warmer food notes beneath. It's very light and breezy.

I agree that it makes for a good "spring" foody scent. It's not rich or heavy.

ETA: It has a short-ish lifespan of about 3 hours, but that's not always a bad thing in my book.

Edited by Aldercy

This starts off being a very foody blend. I get lots of cake, bread (reminds me of the cake in Huesos de Santo), with a little citrusy tea and cucumber in the background, it's very delicious smelling. As it dries, I quickly start amping bergamot, a little more cucumber, and unfortunately the cake starts to take the back-seat, but it's still there. I think I'm getting the biscuit scent now, or more of a bread scent.

This dries to a very fresh, slightly citrusy, bready scent!

I'm surprised with how much I like this! I only wish the cake would stay a bit longer on the skin. Doesn't have too much throw.

This one is CAKE. Not cake, not even Cake, but CAKE, CAKE that jumps off your arm, grabs you by the collar and slaps you in the face a few hundred dozen times. Ow, CAKE, stop that. Ow. It hurts, CAKE, please, please stop.

After a while, CAKE gets bored and wanders off, leaving a trail of its scent behind in an alley filled with cucumber plants. What a bully, that CAKE. What did I do to deserve that? :(

When I first put this on it's exactly like fake butter microwave popcorn. As it dries it becomes all cucumber, which apparently is a note I amp. It sweetens some after it's on for a while, but I don't get any tea or cake. This scent might need some time in a nice dark drawer before I try it again. I won't give up on it that easily.

Edited a few minutes later: Given a little time, Teatime dries into a really pretty scent. Soon after making a final judgement of banishing the bottle to the dark drawer it started behaving, becoming softer with more tea and cake, and the cucumber is barely a memory in the background.

Second edit: This is like a first cousin of Fee and I'm happily surprised.

Edited by Cheri

Wet on my skin, the cake and tea notes are strongest. The more it begins to dry, the cucumber note emerges, while the cake begins to disappear. Tea note stays strong throughout the dry down. Once dry, I get strong Earl Grey tea, light cake/biscuit, and just a hint of cucumber.

Teatime in Roswell - Oh, I LOVE white cake scents - Love 'em to death! They're the only foody scents I can really wear and wear well. This one smells AMAZING in the bottle -- it smells like cake and tea and it's soooooo delicious I I think I started salivating the moment I caught my first whiff of it. When I put it on, I get the strong, distinct scent of the bread note in Bread-and-Butterfly and as the scent wafts around me, I realize I'd put this in the very same category as Bread-and-Butterfly...only this one's better because it also has CAKE and yummy creamy TEA and the oddest hint of CUCUMBER that doesn't fit the scent at all, and yet it still works, oddly enough. I wore this blend this afternoon and spent much of my day outside, and every time a breeze blew past me, it picked up this scent and swirled it around me, and I swooned and salivated all over again. It's a truly awesome scent and on my skin, it smells exactly like it does in the bottle. It doesn't have the best staying power on me, but for my skin, that's pretty typical for a non-resinous BPAL.

in the bottle: Yummy cake its creamy and sooo good!

wet on skin: almost instantly the cake goodness goes away and is replaced by...SOCKS! yep dirty gross socks. wtf?! this has NEVER happend to me before

Dry: ok this is the craziest scent ive ever used now its light cucumber. Its soo much better but im not 100 percent sure i love it.

20 minutes later: pooof gone. *sigh*

I wanted to give it another try because the bottle art is soo friggin cute. AND im actually happy i did 4 days later everything decided to mesh better. The sock thing didnt happen this time and it turned into a creamy nice cucumber. Perfect for foodies and those who like fresher scents. I dont know how long it will stay on my skin but i dont think id mind at all re-applying this one. I think this is a scent that is only going to get better and better. =)

The cake is a lie...

Wet: If Pumpkin II and Eat Me had a love child, it would be Teatime in Roswell. There is definitely cake more than tea, which is a very subtle scent and just at the very bottom is that hint of cucumber. I only got those other notes after resniffing pumpkin and eat me. Otherwise all three just scream dry cake!

Drydown: Ok, now that cucumber thing comes out. Not like Squirting Cucumber though. Like a chemical/ozone cucumber. How very weird! Almost more like licorice. Could be the tea finally poking through.

Very mixed signals from this one. I might relegate it to the scent-locket wearing catagory to keep it as a cake-backup scent.

This goes on very buttery with a hint of dry bread and cucumber. On my skin it begins to move towards bright green high pitched florals fairly quickly-- the effect is bright flowery cucumbers. The cake/bread adds a dry note that eventually goes a little dusty plasticy.

I like this when it first goes on, but it doesn't last long and I was surprised by how flowery it became. Then it fades out pretty fast.

In the bottle this is very cakelike, as others have already said. As soon as I put it on though, the cake fades away to practically nothing and this becomes a fresh, green cucumber scent. Still very sweet, but definitely cucumber. I still get a hint of cake in the background, and the kind of floraly scent of milky earl grey tea. All in all, it does smell exactly like the mixture of scents at a tea party... cake and earl grey tea, lumps of sugar, milk, cucumber... very sweet and fresh and just slightly foody. I can certain sure see this becoming one of my springtime go-to scents :)

I wasn't entirely sure if I would like this scent because of the cucumber, but had to have it. And it has turned out to be a complete winner on me! I think it smells somewhat like 51, with the addition of syrupy honey and a hint of watery cucumber. And the cucumber works well here, lending just a hint of watery feeling without bashing you over the head saying "CUCUMBER!". Lasts several hours, and stays pretty true. Towards the end, it reminds me Theodosius, which must be the tea. I might need a back-up bottle of this one, it's so nice.

Like lunchboxmonkey, this one was all cake in the bottle. Then I put it on, and somehow, it turned into roses! :lol: It played that note for a few minutes, then went sort of greens and honey. I don't get a specific cuke note; it's very nice though. Like it mucho.

In the decant, this smells very buttery and foodie, but on application, it turns into tea and a rather strong, sour cucumber. Upon drydown, this fades into a tea and cucumber scent, but honestly, I prefer Squirting Cucumber to this one. Pass.

It's tea-time! In an imp! Wow! :lol:

Im having tea with these cute folks from some other galaxy...we have a lovely earl grey, with MILK, we have some extremely buttery biscuits with butterscotch frosting...and we even have a lovely vase of spring flowers on the table. The cucumber sandwiches are off to the side, its the earl grey and milk that is fighting for control.

Lovely. wish the cucumber would stay away.

In the decant, I get cucumber, biscuit and- almond?

Wet on my skin- It's cucumber and biscuit, buttery flaky biscuit, both doing a see-saw balancing act. In theory, these should not be good scents to mesh together, but it's really lovely.

Drydown- Everything is blending nicely- now there is tea coming forward which I think helps the cucumber from being too salad like. I'm also getting a peppery kind of scent, and I have no idea why that's happening.

An hour later- I can't really pick out individual notes anymore. It's turned into a foodie scent that's not too foodie- kind of like a green or fresh version of Cake Smash.

Overall- This is great warm weather scent. I was really skeptical of all the notes because I've never had a tea note work on me, and none of the others seemed like they'd play well together at all. It's a lovely surprise. :wub2:

I am a foodie, so thought I was going to really love this just from the description.

wet- cake!! and more sweet yummy cake- love it!

drydown- the cake is backing off, and the cucumber is coming through now. I don't smell any tea though. Maybe its the tea helping the cucumber, but indiv. I don't smell tea.

later- ugh. perfumey cucumber. Why the hell did it have to go perfumy on me. booo. I hate when things go perfumy. The cake is completely gone now. That makes me sad. Maybe it will mellow out a bit as time goes on? What a bummer.

Glad I got to try an imp of this before jumping on a bottle (cause I totally was going that route). Its not good on me. bad bad bad. damn glowing cucumbers.

This starts off with a very light cake note and fruity Earl Grey tea. The cake fades out and I get biscuits with the tea. The dry stage is cucumbers with what I think is green musk and *maybe* a hint of green tea too, I'm not sure. This is a VERY light scent and it fades away pretty quickly. This reminds me of a softer Bread-and-Butterfly and I think it will make a nice summertime scent.

This was a bottle that I ordered unsniffed. This is one of two that I've ordered unsniffed in the past 6-8 months, the other being Boo. Boo worked amazingly on me, and my luck has continued with this blend!

in the bottle I get cake with a little something else, my nose isn't the best yet, but I'm thinking it's a greenness from the cucumber.

on my skin it's the most glorious scent in the world! Have you ever had Earl Grey tea with milk and sugar? You know those last few sips where the tea has gone cold, but it still tastes amazing? That taste is what this smells like! I feel like I'm drowning in a lovely, cool cuppa!

After a while the scent disappeared, which made me sad, but oddly I could still get a few wiffs of it when I turned my head.

Today(I tested this yesterday) while I was doing some cleaning, I kept smelling cake, and it smelled amazing! I was smelling it still the next day while I was sweating!

I really really want to be able to get at least one backup of this, I think it's amazing!!! :heart:

In the imp, this one smelled like buttery cake. I'm not really into foody scents but thought I'd try it anyway, and it went WHOA! buttery wet on my skin. With in a minute or two it morphed to the tea leaves and cucumber and now smells slightly like an ashtray on me. Do. Not. Like. Bleh. :ack: