Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mrsveteran

TAL Scent Recommendations/Comparing TAL Scents to BPAL

Yeah..you wouldn't be wanting to wear Jinx 24/7.... ;o)

Having just taken a look at the reviews on the main site, it sounds like it's pretty much pure peppermint? Is that right? Maybe Lick It as an alternative?

Oops! :P

I'll definitely try that, but I keep swearing that I smell something like lavender as a base, and I wish I could figure that out!

No one will know if you wear it as casual perfume. It is your oil, after all.

Oh, true, but I think that might affect my ritual use, and this one also happens to be a bit burny!

Maybe Pain or Mad Hatter? They both contain lavender and pennyroyal (which smells like mint to me).

Two discoveries:

Anthelion is, to my nose, a sweet lavender. TKO is a creamy lavender. They have a very close "bedtime scent" feel.

I think that gardenia is the most dominant flowery / sweet note in White Light.

Two discoveries:

Anthelion is, to my nose, a sweet lavender. TKO is a creamy lavender. They have a very close "bedtime scent" feel.

Thanks, Nia. Wow, we've got a lot more than I thought we had. I added your take on Anthelion to the first post. Not sure what other BPALs have gardenia, though, so I wasn't sure what to put up with White Light.

MV

Two discoveries:

Thanks, Nia. Wow, we've got a lot more than I thought we had. I added your take on Anthelion to the first post. Not sure what other BPALs have gardenia, though, so I wasn't sure what to put up with White Light.

MV

I make that comparison from fresh live gardenias, not from a perfume :P. There are many blends with gardenia as a note: http://www.bpal.org/search/index.php?term=...=1&search=1

I have tried eight out of thirty and none smell remotely close. I have hopes for Pepper (which I haven't tried yet).

Does anyone know of a perfume that smells like Chaos Magick?

Seriously-- it smells utterly stunning. I'm not using mine as perfume, but... I wish I could get a perfume that smelt like that.

For the lavender fans-- I haven't tried TKO or Anthelion, but I know Temple of Dreams has a nice sleepytime lav smell to it.

LadyLuckDoubt, I haven't smelled Chaos Magick, so I can't help you there, but I have a feeling this crowd will have some suggestions :D

I'm very glad you bumped this thread, though! I had not realized the extensive list that MrsVeteran had compiled in the first post and my hat's off to her. :P Thanks, MrsVeteran!

Bumping this thread to note that Spellbound (GC) reminds me a lot of Blinding Glory of Love, minus the initial rush of mintiness when first applied. As I noted in my review, both my husband and I love this scent on me, but I like the idea of being able to wear an equivalent (and not having to be "careful" whom I use it around) appeals greatly.

While I'm here, does anyone know an equivalent for Concentration? I really like that sort of minty, lemongrass-y scent. The suggestions at the beginning of the thread didn't quite work for me.

Bumping this thread to note that Spellbound (GC) reminds me a lot of Blinding Glory of Love, minus the initial rush of mintiness when first applied. As I noted in my review, both my husband and I love this scent on me, but I like the idea of being able to wear an equivalent (and not having to be "careful" whom I use it around) appeals greatly.

While I'm here, does anyone know an equivalent for Concentration? I really like that sort of minty, lemongrass-y scent. The suggestions at the beginning of the thread didn't quite work for me.

Namaste was almost pure lemongrass on me, but it has a lot of other notes. Lustration from the Panaceas was similar as well, if I remember correctly.

fiddledragon: is Namaste a GC?

(I've added that under Concentration to the original post -- thanks!)

You can find Namaste in Bewitching Brews. :P

Hmm, I'm not sure if many of you have tried out any of the Twilight Alchemy Lab oils, but love the scent of TAL's La Flamme. One reviewer compared it to being similar to LE Smut.

Can anyone confirm a scent match? If that's a yes, I'm gonna find me some Smut! :D

Edited by Shollin
Moved from the Smut review topic --Shollin

Hmm, I'm not sure if many of you have tried out any of the Twilight Alchemy Lab oils, but love the scent of TAL's La Flamme. One reviewer compared it to being similar to LE Smut.

Can anyone confirm a scent match? If that's a yes, I'm gonna find me some Smut! :D

Does anyone have a current list of TAL's offerings? Their website was last revised in 2007 (!) and La Flamme is not listed. Thanks!

stellans, the list on the TAL site is current, but there are also a bunch of "unreleased but available" TALs which can be ordered by forum members (one of which is La Flamme). The thread which lists these oils is a sticky on the TAL board, but here's a direct link:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=25516

Edited by lilirose

The website's still got everything it says on it, and in addition, there are "unreleased" TALs available. The list is here. You can purchase all of them, just request them in your PayPal comments like you would any other oil. Hope that helps!

ETA: Heehee, lilirose beat me to it!

Edited by Pika

My Recs regulars are so great :wub2: beat me to that one!

I'm looking at the reviews for La Flamme and here are some comments (I apologize for not toggling quotes but that can sometimes make a post unreadable... ;) )

"a cross between Vixen and Hellion" (from tempest's review)

"akin to the likes of Snake Oil, Scherezade, Lust and Smut" (from yeahbutnobut's review)

If you haven't tried the GC scents in those comparisons, it might be good to try them first before going on a wild Smut (or Hellion) hunt - then again, if you land a bottle of Smut and don't like it, I am sure that you will easily find a new loving owner for it. It sounds like La Flamme has a red musk vibe, so hit up the red musk thread too if you want some recs in that vein. :smilenod:

I'm pretty new to BPAL (just received my 3rd order) and I just ordered my first TAL (Glamour), but I already love the idea of working with these oils, and there are so many I want to try.

I know that these oils are not (generally) supposed to be used as perfumes, but obviously it is nicer to work with an oil which also has a scent you enjoy.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what people's favorites are scentwise and why!

I really like the smell of Amor, Crown of Success, White Light (of course), Joy, Bastet's Laughter, and Perpetuum Bonum.