Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mrsveteran

TAL Scent Recommendations/Comparing TAL Scents to BPAL

I don't suppose anyone's found a GC or LE scent that smells like Charisma??

Hm. I wonder if anyone has actually ever asked anyone over there if they would mind telling us a scent equivalent of a TAL oil? It's kind of fun to guess, but on the other hand, Beth or someone could probably give us a better answer. Hey, it couldn't hurt to ask!

From the Reviews of Charisma, people have said that it reminded them of Hymn, Mata Hari, and Faustus. I have a hard time placing one note in Charisma, but I seem to get amber (or maybe ambergris), patchouli, and something ... sweet.

If you ask the lab, and they tell you, would you mind posting back here if they say it's okay? I'd love to get a lab opinion on what Charisma is closest to, BPAL-wise.

MV

Could be ambergris, I recently realized that the two scents with that note (The Wild Men Of Jezirat Al Tennyn & Antony) that I've tried have been really yummy on me too. (Of course, I haven't tried them this time of the month. But I'm still trying to work up the nerve to ask... I feel vaguely like it'd be cheating, like I'd be asking for Beth's secret recipe. Which I'm not trying to do. Maybe I just need to be charismatic more often? :P

I'll have to give Hymn, Mata Hari & Fautus another try if I can find them in the scary pile of imps that have taken over my home. :D

Edited by Muppetk

I would love to hear of a scent equivalent to Charisma. It's such a yummy scent and I know what you mean about not wanting to overwear it.

On a different note, I found the Fool to be similar to Concentration. It's funny, I even felt like I could concentrate better wearing the Fool!

I sucked up my courage and emailed the lab to see if they could recommend a scent equivalent to Charisma, but I don't know if I'll get an answer. If I do, I'll post it. :P

Hey, it was worth a shot, right?

MV

I sucked up my courage and emailed the lab to see if they could recommend a scent equivalent to Charisma, but I don't know if I'll get an answer. If I do, I'll post it. :P

MV

:D I did too -- I emailed Forest late yesterday. I asked her both if there was an equivalent and, just as important, if this was an esoteric blend that could be overused. (I mean hey, maybe I just need to smell good and be more charming 5 days/month?) :D If/when I get an answer, I'll let you know. I suspect I should at least get an answer to the latter question.

MV

:D I did too -- I emailed Forest late yesterday. I asked her both if there was an equivalent and, just as important, if this was an esoteric blend that could be overused. (I mean hey, maybe I just need to smell good and be more charming 5 days/month?) :D If/when I get an answer, I'll let you know. I suspect I should at least get an answer to the latter question.

Replying to my own post... how bizarre. But just saying that I got an answer from the lab... not the one that many people wanted, but one that I can work with. I was told that as long as I was using the oil with intention (which I am, as during that time of the month, I could use something which at least *appears* to minimize my flaws), I should go ahead and keep using it. That I'm not overusing/abusing the oil. I can work with that. Even if I'm not in public, I suppose I could set the intent to minimize the appearance of flaws from myself. :) And who couldn't use a little of that during their period? ;)

...justify, justify, justify....

But no, no scent similarities were given.

Oh! I'm so glad I found this thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across any BPAL blends that smell like the TAL Road Opener? It smells familiar to me, like I've smelled something like it in the BPAL catalogue, but I can't place it for the life of me. Perhaps it smells like one of the Chakra blends? Or it could be something else entirely different.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Oooh, darn it, I haven't smelled Road Opener yet. Hopefully someone will see this and tell us more about it. :-)

Oh! I'm so glad I found this thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across any BPAL blends that smell like the TAL Road Opener? It smells familiar to me, like I've smelled something like it in the BPAL catalogue, but I can't place it for the life of me. Perhaps it smells like one of the Chakra blends? Or it could be something else entirely different.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

I have a decant of Road Opener. I haven't smelled it yet but I'll road test it tomorrow and see if it jogs my BPAL memory.

Yes, when I asked, the last reply I got was "I'm going to have to ask Beth," and then nothing. Oh well. I'm still looking.

ETA: Oh, I just saw a review that said Charisma reminded her of "Hymn" or "Mata Hari." Also "Faustus." Have you tried those? GAH. I already SAID that! haha!

I looked at the reviews for "Road Opener," and the only scents mentioned were LUSH "Aura Suavis" and someone who said it dried down to something a little like the GC "Bess." (I think Bess is a GC...) I'll be interested to see what zankoku_zen might have to say ...

MV

Edited by MrsVeteran

Yes, when I asked, the last reply I got was "I'm going to have to ask Beth," and then nothing. Oh well. I'm still looking.

Bummer. Oh well. But you know what I think? I think if the snake pit had an albino member, this is what is would smell like! Charisma = Albino Snake Oil + Moxie. :D No wait, it'd be Moxie plus Enraged Albino Snake Musk! :P

I amuse myself far too easily...

I just put Road Opener on because I've been handled a pretty tough question by my boss.

Road Opener is definitely pretty. In fact, some of it reminds me to Nivea Cream. It's got this cool, fresh, slightly rosey, slightly perfumey vibe to me. The other BPAL that reminded me to Nivea Cream very strongly was Erato.

In fact, I think I might have to find another imp of Erato. I do enjoy the scent of Road Opener but I'm not sure I need more of it. Or perhaps I do!

I just tried Dixie Love Perfume and it reminds me a lot of Love Me.

Makes sense, they're both based on voodoo recipes.

OK, just pulled out Love Me and they are on opposite hands. Love Me is more vanilla, DLP has more cinnamon (watch out those with sensitive skin), but other than that, they could be twins.

Has anyone said anything about a similar scent to Cleo May? I got a decant of it from someone, and I looooveee the scent, but don't want to feel like I'm ready to get laid everyday. :P

I just got my Red Moon order, and it smells almost exactly like Blinding Glory of Love, without the rose. It's a bit less in-your-face, too, but at least I feel like I can leave the house in it!

I just got my Red Moon order, and it smells almost exactly like Blinding Glory of Love, without the rose. It's a bit less in-your-face, too, but at least I feel like I can leave the house in it!

Ooh, thanks!

[hijack]

By the way, how did you pick your screen name? Because as soon as I saw it, I thought:

"Oh my darling armadillo,

Let me tell you of my love,

Listen to my armadillo roundelay!

Be my fellow on my pillow

Underneath this weeping willow,

Be my darling armadillo, all the day!

(and some more stuff and then)

Then I saw them in a hollow, 'neath a yellow muddy bank:

An armadillo singing to an armor-plated tank!"

Flanders & Swann, from the album "The Bestiary" I believe. My dad used to sing it to me when I was a kid. If you got your screen name from there, you are the only living being I have ever met (other than my dad and brother) who have A) heard that song and B.) heard of Flanders & Swann at all.

Now that song is going to be running through my head ALL DAY! EAR WORM!!!!!!

:D

[/hijack]

Has anyone said anything about a similar scent to Cleo May? I got a decant of it from someone, and I looooveee the scent, but don't want to feel like I'm ready to get laid everyday. :P

*lol* I have everything in the first post that people have posted so far, I think ... so ... not yet. Maybe someone will, though!

Edited by MrsVeteran

That's exactly where it came from! I love Flanders and Swann. I don't think anyone's ever recognised it before.

Do you know Tom Lehrer at all? You'd probably enjoy it...

That's exactly where it came from! I love Flanders and Swann. I don't think anyone's ever recognised it before.

Do you know Tom Lehrer at all? You'd probably enjoy it...

(PMed you so as not to hijack the thread anymore, but yes, I adore Tom Lehrer!)

I have been searching forever, wasn't there a thread for BPAL similarities to TAL scents when we wanted the scent and not the magick??

Iago = Determination.

Van Van = TAL Block Buster.

Edited by Nia

Iago = Determination.

Can't say that I agree. Iago made me gag, while determination actually smells really *really* good to me. The difference might just be the leather note in ago though; most leather notes disagree badly with me.

I believe I caught a similarity between Magus and Middle Pillar - Seems appropriate enough...It is not exact, as Middle Pillar smells somewhat sweeter (don't quote me on this as everyone I know in person gets an entirely different scent from it). I think they must share something though.

This may be impossible, but I would love a BPAL that smells like Astral Travel. It has absolutely the most wonderful, gorgeous, amazing smell...sort of like orange creamsicles, without being foody, somehow. Anyway, if there were a BPAL that was even close, I'd buy gallons of the stuff.

I've completely fallen in love with the scent of Jinx Removing. It is a warm, delicious blanket that makes me feel safe while confronting negative energy.

Now, I'm absolutely terrible at describing notes, and I know that these aren't for use as a casual perfume . . . so what BPAL can I wear as a casual perfume?

I'm sure there are others who have similar questions.

Edited by Snarkybando

Yeah..you wouldn't be wanting to wear Jinx 24/7.... ;o)

Having just taken a look at the reviews on the main site, it sounds like it's pretty much pure peppermint? Is that right? Maybe Lick It as an alternative?