Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Veritas

VERITAS
Falsehood has no feet: now and again something that is false can start off successfully, but with time, Truth will always prevail.

The essence of honesty, integrity, and veracity: frankincense, white carnation, angelica, chamomile, and heliotrope.

imp: very soft florals.

wet: lovely warm sandalwood and angelica. the carnation lends this a creaminess. very pretty!

dry: i smell more heliotrope as this dries but it's pretty soft under the sandalwood. the angelica seems to have faded somewhat but i can still detect a teensy bit.

Frankincense and carnation are tricky for me but the whole of Veritas is greater than the sum of its parts. Incensey carnation and I can smell the chamomile and other florals faintly...this is soft and light. Carnation lovers should definitely try this!

Wet: Frankincense. Maybe some chamomile. Not really liking this, I'm not a huge frankincense fan, lol I'm not getting any carnation, but that could just be my skin chemistry.

Dry: Holy crap, the dry down on this is WAY better than the wet stage! It's actually really pretty now! lol Less frankincense, I'm getting the carnation mingling with the chamomile, and I might be getting some heliotrope in there too. I'm still not entirely sure this is going to work for me, I get a little of the frankincense underneath sometimes, but much better.

Frankincense and chamomile. At first it's a little sharp...I think the chamomile is too strong...but as it dries down..my skin eats the chamomile and the frankincense remains. It's very good actually. The problem is that this has very little throw. I think I will keep my imp before I track down a bottle as I want to see how the frankincense ages.

Edited by Dark Alice

this smells amazing i think - very spicy, herbally, but warm - not sharp. it's got a resin-y feel, from the frankincense, and a real spicy carnation scent - interesting combo. the chamomile and angelica, to me, add a bit of herbally "zing", and the heliotrope sweetens it all up a bit. it's true this doesn't have a lot of throw, and i need to actually sniff my wrist to smell it, but it's a great scent - especially if you like frankincense. very uplifting and addicting.

Bright golden-yellow oil. Floral, herbal, resiny. A little soapy, a little sweet - a bit of brightness from the heliotrope (which is also a little sour) and velvety spice from the carnation. Complex and unisex to feminine, with all the listed notes apparent.

Deeper, darker, more herbal and even more complex. A lot more of the angelica root, frankincense and chamomile, with the heliotrope still as strong and bright but sour as it was in the bottle. A little rooty, and sweeter, from the combined effects of the angelica and the frankincense, which is definitely the sweet, slightly smoky but still a dark and resiny type. A bit powdery and overall fairly sharp and jumbled and not really pleasant.

This has faded a lot, and I slathered fairly heavily - it's slightly powder, rooty, and herbal with a touch of floral soap. The heliotrope has softened into a more rounded, glowing note and lost its sour tinge, and the white carnation remains distinct, but more velvety than spicy with a bit of a green edge. The frankincense, chamomile and especially angelica have amped the most are the strongest notes in the dry stage, with heliotrope and carnation not dominated, but definitely in a close second place. This has a very white feel, a bit shining - I suppose that's conceptually accurate, a feeling of purity which is something I associate strongly with truth.

I don't dislike this blend - well, I almost do in the early stages when it's sour and a bit chaotic - but this blend has nothing I really like, either, and doesn't fit the sort of feel that I go for in perfumes, or wow me in any particular way - it's not generic, I just find it uninteresting and personally unappealing, but I think it fits the concept well, and in the end it coalesces into a well-balanced blend that's unisex to feminine. Slightly powdery and floral, but mostly slightly sharply herbal and rooty, as well as 'white' feeling with lots of velvety texture and a bit of golden heliotrope glow. Moderate throw, and good longevity after the initial fading.

I thought that I would love this (I love frankincense and heliotrope and normally like carnation and chamomile), but I actually kinda hate Veritas, lol.

I don't think that I like bpal's chamomile note at all. I get the same chamomile note here as I did from Sachs - gritty, soapy, bitter, herbal chamomile. The angelica might be adding to that soapy, perfumey floral smell. I can smell a bit of sweet, resinous frankincense, but it's drowning under the bitter chamomile and soapy sharpness. The whole blend is oddly sour and makes me feel sick.

I had to scrub this off after a half hour, because it was making me sick to my stomach. Too sour, too soapy, too bitter... :sick:

Starts off heavy on the frankincense and wood. Carnation emerges a little, but doesn't really stand out for me. Unfortunately, the mixture of floral notes makes the entire scent go soap on my skin before it even begins to really dry down.

On me, this turned into primarily carnation and frankincense. Very strong carnation in fact. There is a light golden undertone here that I think must be the heliotrope, and a faint herbal tinge that is definitely the chamomile. It's very lovely. I quite like it!

Holy camarones - this is frankincense and warm heliotrope. So its a nice warm, resinous blend with just a smidge of floral.

Lab frimp! In the imp honestly all I get is the deep dark frankincense and maybe a touch of chamomile. Hopefully on my skin I will get more carnation and heliotrope.

Ok, this is definitely better on my skin-still VERY frankincense heavy-but I get a bit more of that goldeny heliotrope and maybe a touch of the carnation...it softens and sweetens on my skin.

This one REALLy morphs a lot on my skin-the frankincense REALLY calms down and this becomes a soft, sweet, goldeny incense smell. Incense blends are not usually my thing but I am REALLY digging this. Not sure I would pick up a bottle, but I highly recommend it to incense fans AND to those who many be huge incense fans.

The primary note I get from this is the incense. But I can also detect florals and a bit of herbal-ness. When it was fresh on my skin, the incense was still strongest, but a few hours later the florals came through. This could be really nice on just the right person, but it's not quite the one for me.

Conclusion: use up the rest of the imp but don't repurchase; try this if you want an herbal/floral incense blend that is heavy on the incense

This is a powdery frankincense with a touch of floral. The frankincense mellows out to reveal a spicy phase. The dry down was my favorite part since it went to a sweet, foodie almost clove scent on my skin. This imp really helped me learn what true frankincense smells like :unsure: . I always see it listed in blends, but I had trouble picking out its true smell until now. I love learning every day about individual notes in the blends.

Spicy incense and chamomile. Very heavy on the frankincense and the chamomile is earthy and herbal. White carnations add spice and along with heliotrope a floral element definitely underlined. However, the florals do not linger and I am left with a soothing smoky/spicy incense with wafts of chamomile. It's soothing, powdry and warm.

In the vial, it's a pretty heady floral. Lots of carnation, frankincense, and chamomile. Color, gold.

Wet on my skin, it's mostly chamomile and carnation. An almost sickeningly sweet floral. Not liking this at all.

10-15 minute drydown - And now the frankincense comes out and becomes overpowering. There's also a sickly 'rotting flowers' scent to it. Not pleasant at all.

30 minute drydown - Not so nauseating now, but still not something I *want* to smell like.

In the Imp: Incense, sharp floral and herbs

Wet: Strangely enough I get pencil crayons. Immediately reminds me of grade school and opening your pencil case up and breathing in. Thankfully the floral notes are not amping like mad on my skin. The frankincense stays in charge and keeps the carnation from turning into rotting flowers.

Dry: Incense and softly spicy florals. There is the barest touch of powder which makes me actually prefer the wet stage.

Verdict: The imps a keeper and I will age it a little to see what happens. I'm hoping this will end up a true floral I can wear that I like.

In bottle: Pleasantly herbal sharp well blended with the spiciness of carnation. The frankincense is very understated. The heliotrope brightens without overwhelming the core effect. This is very well designed. Wet: Entirely different. My skin seems to be eating a lot of the herbs. The result is some serious frankincense with a muddy floral/herbal effect that my skin manages to edge towards carpentry shavings for no obvious reason. I can catch te heliotrope flailing for breath above the mess my skin chemistry makes of this. I honestly think this is my skin chemistry and it should be utterly beautiful on a woman. Dry: Angelica and Frankincense dominent, but working better than when wet.

I'm finding it hard to pick out individual notes on this scent. I think I'm getting the frankincense and carnation strongest, but it's just very thoroughly blended together as a warm and light golden scent.

It sits right on the edge between floral, herbal, and incense scents, with aspects of each, but never quite falling into one easy category for me. And it's absolutely lovely.

In bottle/imp: Sweet and herbal, followed by a blast of glowing, warm heliotrope.

Immediately on skin: This is sweet and resinous, but it also has a feeling of watery and warm florals about it. It has a hint of spicy carnation, but also the cool chamomile and deep, sweet frankincense. This scent overall smells llike floral resin, a bouquet of flowers trapped under fragrant amber.

After a little while: This is all frankincense now, with a bit of carnation and heliotrope. It’s mostly resins, with a little bit of floral notes coming through.

Overall Impressions: I don’t love frankincense or any resinous notes for that matter, so I was really hoping that it would be pushed into the background in this scent. However, it seems on me to be the strongest note, with the florals lingering behind it. This scent is very sweet on me, as well.

Imp: Thick and syrupy with a tiny hint of green sap. The frankincense reminds me more of the thickness of myrrh rather than the usual dryness I get from frankincense. The heliotrope and angelica are the strongest notes after the frankincense.

Wet: I didn't have the notes on hand when I sniffed this and I would have sworn it was myrrh. It has the thick. syrup-like quality I can't quite put a finger on. It's not cool. I wish this was the drier version of frankincense because this is a very... thick[/b] scent.

Dry: Fekkin' angelica has taken over and it smells like a health food store's bulk section. There is a really oppressive sweetness to this that I think is coming from the chamomile but is not doing this scent any favours. It's really heavy on me and not working with my chemistry at all.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: Not my style. I can see, component-wise, how it works with the concept and I appreciate the intent behind it but it just does not work with my skin chemistry at all.

Wet: this is a very straight-forward scent.. the only element getting lost on me is heliotrope. The frankincense, carnation, and angelica form this wonderful scent wall... There's walls of sound for hit bands, then there's walls of smell. This is one. There's a tinkling piano in the background... chamomile.

Drydown: still there, just less amplified. Frankincense, I'm realizing, I like more than I thought. It gets lost in the complexity of some scents.. not here. It's definitely just being complimented by the other ingredients. The chamomile is barely notable here. The 3 elements I mentioned previously are still going strong!

Edited by SophieCedar

This is a soft, sexy scent. Oh, yum. I could get used to smelling like this for sure.

Based on the notes that are listed I would NEVER have picked this out myself as I generally don't like florals, but this...this is so wonderful and so very hard to pin point. Its soft but has a great throw, its warm, spicy and slightly resinous. I feel like there might be a touch of myrrh or sandalwood in this, too. It feels very golden, like spending an afternoon bathed in sunshine.

I am kinda at a loss for words. Must get bottle.

Veritas

On: This is all frankincense on me at first.

3 hours in: I'm getting a sweet floral scent with a strong base of frankincense.

4 hours in: Still about the same. This reminds me of Catholic church incense.

8.5 hours in: Powdery and floral.

Overall: I like the frankincense on this, but it's almost a single note on me.

In the bottle: I figured I wouldn't like this because I'm not a fan of most florals. Wow, was I wrong. It smells AWESOME. Complex florals and a big hit of pungent frankincense.

Immediately after application: I get warm florals but I can't make out the individual notes, maybe the chamomile? I can pick out the frankincense at least XD Whatever it is, it smells GOOD. Not traditional perfume-y, which is what usually turns me off floral scents. There's a hint of sharpness.

Warming up: Almost purely frankincense. I amp spicy/musky/incensey scent, if I haven't mentioned this. The florals have been mostly overwhelmed although I get little bursts from time to time. I'm surprised to hear myself say this, but I want more flower!

Fading: Ahh there are the flowers! I definitely smell the carnation under the frankincense now and hints of the other florals. My nose isn't quite sophisticated enough to distinguish/recognize the others but it's like a bouquet with a smidge of herbs and incense laid in the room. Quite delightful.

Faded: Slowly fading frankincense with mild florals.

Overall: My skin chemistry seems to have conspired against this one to overpower the floral notes like whoa. For once, I actually wished there had been MORE of the floral scents. However, I really liked it on the drydown. I'm glad I got this as a frimp, I never would have chosen it on my own and I was pleasantly surprised.

In the bottle: A lovely bouquet of florals (I smell a lot of carnation) with some spicy frankincense at the back.

Wet: An almost equal blend of florals and frankincense. It's a very clear, warm scent that's both sweet and a little sharp. The florals take over, and they're sweet, white, and creamy, further mellowed slightly by the chamomile, with warm, sharp frankincense at the back.

Drydown: Mostly frankincense, but the chamomile and a little bit of carnation stick around to keep me from smelling completely like a church.

I liked this one- the florals in it are beautiful, and the incensy base is a nice touch.