Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Christi

Bread-and-Butter-Fly

Bread, lightly buttered, with weak tea, cream, and a lump of white sugar.

This is not at all what I had hoped for. On first application it is very buttery with a ton of sugar and almonds (???). Almond is not a listed note so maybe I'm smelling the tea but it's coming over clearly as bitter almond. My skin hates almond, it's one of my notes of doom, and it's quite unpleasant here too.

As the scent morphs on my skin the almond fades slightly and a liquorice/anise note comes to the fore clashing badly with the slightly burned sugar note. No bread or tea.

On me this is quite bitter and acrid. Burned sugar, bitter almond and liquorice with buttery cream.

Sad now! :( Edited by Shollin

Let me just say that in general I am not a fan of foodie scents. But, I really like this one! I think the tea lightens up the foodiness just enough. And there's definitely an edge of anise in there that gives it a bit of complexity. I don't think I'm getting a bottle, but definitely keeping my imp! And now I have a craving for fresh-buttered toast drizzled with honey...

I didn't care for this in the bottle so much, but it sure does morph as it dries! Initially in the bottle this is VERY rich and foody/buttery. As it dries, it turns into this really pretty tea-infused sugary icing. It's amazingly good. Nom nom nom!!

So my skin hates foodie scents. HATES THEM. But there was no way that I wouldn't give this a try. Seriously, how can I resist that description?

In the imp: Maple syrup with a bit of bread in the background. I am now hungry.

Wet: Very sugary, very much getting the butter scent strong and the bread. It seemed to actually be really nice and tasty smelling while wet.

Dry: ....And here's where it does that thing all foodie scents do on me. On the good side, it's a strong scent with a decent throw yet not overpowering. The bread and butter is the major factor here, it's got that butter scent that's definitely present in some of my Halloweenie scents. And that tends to go kind of rancid on me because it Totally Hates My Skin.

Even later: Aaand it's mellowing more, the tea is finally apparent. And the mapley-sugary scent is definitely more apparent now, taking over the bread and butter. If I could stand myself through the earlier part of the drying, this would actually tempt me. Maybe. I guess foodie scents and me probably just aren't meant to be. :(

Strong sugar (very sweet) + mild tea... an hour later becoming sweet buttered bread... not much throw. Fades quickly, though I can still smell it if I put my wrist close to my nose.

Not quite bottle love but will hold on to the imp to try again.

Ok, I am pleasantly surprised.

It should be noted that generally, I don't like foody scents. I also have trouble with sugar and butter as notes because my skin tends to turn them to caramel.

That said, this is fantastic! :wub2: There is a sweet tea that mingles with the bread and the result is surprisngly not that foody. Its creamy and sweet and comforting and all around lovely.

On me, this is exactly like Huesos De Santo, minus the orange. It's anise and cake. Nice enough but not bottle worthy.

In the imp: Sugar and warm bread, creamy and nice

Drying on my skin: The strongest note is a scent of dry white bread. There's some sugar and very little butter. I don't get any teanotes.

Throw and staying power: Medium throw

Colour impression: White

Verdict: My skinchemistry seems to dislike this scent. It's mostly dry bread - nothing creamy, soft and comforting. No caramel. Just dry bread and dry sugar.

:huh?:

Edited by MissVulpecula

So I just got my specimen from the lab this week, and tried it out tonight . In the bottle all bread and butter, and caramel, I think. when I put it on, i got bread and bu- wait a minute, is that licorice???? Licorice??? There is no licorice in the description! I wait it out, and still huffing myself occasionally I can get bread and maybe something thats tea, and that damn licorice! Now the licorice has dies down into something lemony..and the bread is all I get in the end. I am very sad about this , but not willing to let one test of it be the deciding factor. Maybe it needs to age out a bit, and we will see where it goes from there.

licorice?

Oh cream, if you only behaved. I definitely got a 'doughy' note, which then turns to plastic as it dries. Vanilla plastic.

Pass.

While this is not love at first sniff it's not bad at all: light and sugary, with that fresh feeling I always get from tea blends.

My skin usually turns cream (especially when paired with other foody notes like cake and bread) into a strange, burnt smell with a side of liquorice, so I was expecting it, but the tea and general cleanness keep the liquorice in the background, the butter is there, and the sugar balances it all quite well.

I wouldn't say there's bread in here without looking at the notes, but looking for it I can almost pick it up behind the other notes.

It's a simple, comforting smell, surprisingly suited to spring and summer -I think I was expecting a warmer smell- and though I don't like it enough to put on the bottle list it's quite a success for a foody scent, considering my weird chemistry.

Edited by inkaddict

This starts off with a strong black tea note, then softens to a cream-with-tea scent mixed with bread crusts. The cream gets a bit buttery and sweeter (although not overly sugary) upon drydown. Although I was initially hoping for a fresh-baked bread type of scent, I'm not disappointed with the way this turned out at all, its a lovely scent. :D

Bread-and-Butter-Fly

At first, this smells a lot like buttery pound cake. Not quite bread, but that's fine. It's still really nice. After a while on my skin, it reminds me of the smell of...babies.

You know that smell. Not babies with full diapers :P but that nice, comforting, sweet and innocent baby smell. Sort of like milky, buttery caramel. And a little baby powder. And some other stuff I can't put into words.

I really like this. It's a very "cute" sort of smell. I can't pick out the tea at any point (I guess because it's "weak"), but I can sorta kinda tell it's there. This is so well blended and comforting.

4.5 out of 5

*This was frimped to me from the Lab!

Wanted to love this. Read the scent description and felt that Beth designed this just for me! Picked up a bottle at C2E2. Sniffed it and it did smell a little sweeter than I liked but didn't skin test it til I got home. It basically turned into burnt sugar on my skin, I had to wash it off. *sad panda* Stupid skin chemistry!

Sweet and buttery, butterscotch. The tea comes up, still very buttery and milky. Like candy.

In bottle and wet on skin: very sweet and thick/heavy, from the bread, but not "dark" at all.

Dry on skin: this fades down to a sweet, foody scent. Does not smell like cake batter or cakes, surprisingly...no cream that I can detect, either. Smells vaguely of caramel, in fact.

Overall: A comforting, rather unusual gourmand scent with principally bread and caramel in it. I'll definitely keep the imp, but I don't think I'll be needing a bottle.

I just got an imp of this fresh from the lab.

In the bottle- yup, exactly as described! Bread and rich butter with tea and cream and sugar. YUM!

drydown- strange, but almost a licorice smell. Licorice tea perhaps? Ick

dry- odd. floral and herb soap

I wish this one hadn't morphed so much. If it had smelled the same dry as it had in the imp, I would have bought enough to bathe in it LOL

The scent is nice, but too soapy/floral on me. I am glad I got the imp, and will keep it to see if it ages well, but as of right now, I will not be buying a bottle of it. I hope it stays around long enough for me to purchase in a year if it ages well! I really want to love this one!

The verdict is in: My puppy and I don't care for this scent. She's usually intrigued by my perfumes, at the least. This one got a cursory sniff and a turning away of the face :x

I reaaaally wanted to like it, but it's too buttery in the imp, and turns into unpleasant baby-wipes on my arm. Not what I was hoping for :cry2:

Bread-and-Butter-Fly is VERY buttery in the imp, SHOCKER, I know! It's almost butterscotch but there's something in it that makes "butter" come to mind instead.

On me, it smells like buttered celery and toast. Strange, in a bad way. I would guess it's the tea-plus-something-else sending strange ideas into my brain about celery. As it dries it reminds me a little, a VERY little, of wearing Dorian while eating toast, but the celery overcometh all.

Well hello there, butter! I honestly didn't believe people when they said that this smelled like buttered toast, but... for real, people. It does. Well, it smells like buttered toast with some sugar sprinkled on top. It actually smells quite masculine to me as it dries, but not overpoweringly so. I think that this is definitely a good unisex blend. It's really comforting -- it would be a good scent for days when you feel like you just need a hug, or when it's cold outside and you're cuddled up in a blanket with a book and a cup of tea. I think I might need a bottle eventually.

This has a very, very strong white sugar note to it, very much like "Pure Sugar" from Love Potions Magickal Perfumerie. Now, I'm super fond of very sweet scents, but this one was a little too much for me. It's a very, very rich scent, in a similar vein to "Mr Nancy" from the Anansi Boys line (although they don't smell at all alike), and unfortunately it was too rich for my blood. It has a bakery note to it which is something like a cross between bread and cake, with a milky, weak tea note in the back. This is very nice, but not quite right on me.

This definitely smells like buttered toast at first, on the skin that fades away and it becomes an almost floral sweet wisp of scent.. likely the sugar and tea notes. An interesting scent journey worth taking!

This was a frimp from the lovely scenteddreams!

Sadly, I get the brown sugar/burnt butter version of this one - which is kinda what I was expecting because butter is a bastard on my skin sometimes. But I was hoping that perhaps - given the notes/description - this would be a creamy/milky kind of butter. Alas, no.

I can smell the tea, and something slightly fruity. For me, this actually smells more like that fruit bread (you know the stuff with raisins and cinnamon etc in it) than just regular plain bread. I bet it's just wonderful on the right skin.. it's a fantastically foody blend, but not for me.

Exactly as advertised. Tea and toast. The tea is lightly sweetened, and the toast is buttered and slightly burnt which kinda translates into brown sugar or burnt sugar. It's sweet, soft, and foody. After it has a chance to drydown, the sweetness turns into a light floral creamy scent. An imp is definitely enough, because even though I like the smell, I can't see myself wearing it all that often.

In the imp I can smell the bread, sugar, butter, and bit of tea but on my skin it turned to SOAP and an itty itty bit of butter. The soap smell is probably the tea amping. I will re-try and update at a different time of the month to make sure it's not some hormonal thing causing my chemistry to turn this into soap.