Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Brimming with native fruits and flowers, but also imbued with the power of native earth magicks: apricot and pomegranate with deep plum, wild roses, two Middle Eastern pale musks, white orchid, iris and sweet roots.

In the bottle: I'm really looking forward to smelling and I'm really nervous about this blend at the same time. The Middle Eastern musks worry me, but the rest of the scents make me go, "Oooooh, please work." Oh, god, that's yummy. I am so drawn to fruit scents. I really am, and this is a very rich fruit scent in the vial. Very golden in color to me. I suspect that that's the apricots. Very heavy and cloying and just rich.

Wet: I can pull the apricot out immediately as my grandmother cooks with them a lot. Also the plums. There's something unsettling under the surface that's faintly bitter. That might be the roots or the musk. Mmmmm, plums. So far this is ligther than it smelled in the bottle, and no surfacing of any evil musks that might make me go all sneezey. The florals are hard to find in this. They seem to be lingering in the background to let the fruits play. There's still that slighty bitter note that distresses me.

Dry down: This dries slowly on me. Some of the oils disappear in a flash and some linger like oil slicks on my wrist. This one lingers. Hmmm. Now it's becoming more musky and deeper in its scent. The fruits are still around to give it some lightness, but they're no longer the predominant note. That distressing bitter one is still there, though. I think I can pull out the rose. (Go figure. My nose seems to be attuned to them.) Now it's not so sweet and much muskier. Not like OMG I am musk. More like, I am musk, and I'm here to stay. I was worried that I mgiht be allergic to this. I'm not. I'm just somewhat offput by it. It's nice and complex, but something in it makes me stomach a little queasy.

Dry: This fades down to next to nothing on me. There's still oil on my wrist, but I only get the barest hint of a slight musk with some floral and fruit around the edges. It smelled so nice in the vial. Another one ruined by my skin. I may play with this in my oil burner or just throw it into the swap pile. It's nice, but not me.

Gosh, I love BPAL's fruit scents. This is less sparkling than other fruit-based scents I've tried (Titania, for instance), but it's still nice. The dominant note is apricot, and true to the fruit, the oil even smells a little fuzzy-muted, like the apricot was dipped in a little cream. It's not at all a synthetic, sickly-sweet scent, but instead the scent of thick, juicy apricot nectar. The plum comes through underneath, and some of the smoothness of the orchid. I get no rose and just a little of the musk. Overall, it's a nice, close-to-the-skin muted floral.

Ack, my first post went kabloo....if this repeats, Mod, please delete!

This took a long time to calm down on me. At first it was heavily, oddly vodka'ish. After about four hours, it's finally mellowed out. But I think I have weird chemistry where this one is concerned, obviously nobody but me got the booze.

These are mellow, golden fruits. They aren't bright and oversweet. They are almost ripe, I think, still a little hard. The musk tamps it down and keeps it from being bubbly and effervescent.

Edited by Julilla Regina

(Old) Yerevan, I got this imp with a purchase from the wonderful forum buddy couscous! :D This blend reminds me a lot of March Hare. When first applied I smell a lot of apricot, then after an hour or so just a little musk. No bottle for me but I will keep the imp. :P

In the imp I also smell fruit punch (kind of like tropical flavor Skittles). On my skin, fruit punch turns to warm sweet musky apricot. At this stage it is beautiful! Within 10 minutes the apricot fades to the background and the florals and musk are all that's left. It smells like the perfume counter at a department store. :P

I can't wait to try some of the other blends with apricot... hopefully one of them will work for my skin.

In the Bottle: Le sigh! Lovely apricots. So many apricots. Chewy, warm, delicious, juicy apricots. I'm in love already!

On Me: Yum! Delicious apricots with a spicy, nutty flavor on my wrist, but just warm delicious apricots wafting through the air. The differences in scent from on the wrist to in the air is amazing, and I still don't know how the Lab does it. You don't really smell the apricots on your wrist, but its all around me, an apricot cloud!!!

This is perfect! I LOVE this scent! Must buy a gallon of it!!!

Yerevan

IN the vial Yerevan was a happy, super sweet combination of fruits, florals, and something slightly creamy. Wet the pomegrante, musk, and apricot really defined themselves and I was just all over in love with it. But, as it started on the dry down, my body chemistry poked around with all of the goodness and a sort of waxy scent began to emerge. In the end, it smells like lip balm. Darn good lip balm, but still like a scent smelled through smoodgy wax. Weird.

In the bottle: Warm, ripe fruits on a humid day. I think I'm going to like this!

Wet: Sweet, syrupy apricots against a faint background of musks! :P

Drydown: This is a nice blend of apricots, pomegranates, irises and roses on me. If it were a color, I'd say something along the lines of magenta and if it were a season, definitely the height of summer.

Final thoughts: I am so glad I bought a bottle of this unsniffed! The fruity scents usually love me, especially the peach and apricot ones. :D

Edited by inkstone

Yerevan

(Apologies: this is one of my longer reviews, because I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to word it, plus, there were three definite long stages, instead of just a quick initial scent followed by two longer states. Also, I hope I'm not being redundant - I haven't read any other reviews)

This was a gift from the lab.

Preconceived notions: I like plum and pomegranate, and with the musk, this could be quite sensual, but I’m not sure about apricot and florals - it might make it too light.

In the vial: Mmm... nice - very sweet and lush smelling. This brings to mind a sensual young woman offering a basket of overripe fruits with juices that spill down your chin, throat, and all over your hands.

On me:

The fruits suddenly gain back their tartness, but it’s still a very decadent fruitiness. The florals are staying in the background, and adding a layer of veiled greenery. This is a decadent fruit orchard/garden, and I’d almost think this could be called Forbidden Fruit. However, the actual Forbidden Fruit is better for that name, as this one has too many different fruits in it. Still - I get that sensual, naked-people-sharing-fruits sense to this.

Over time: the florals gradually come out more, and perhaps the “sweet roots”, but I’m not sure entirely what those would smell like. I really like this - the flowers, like the fruits, are decadent, exotic, and sensual. This is perfect for a hot, sultry, summer day when everything is in full bloom. I know there’s no vanilla in this, but I’m getting something that’s warm and sensual that isn’t floral. Maybe it’s the musk or sweet roots.

Later: Yes, the fruits are falling into the background as the florals and musks come to the forefront. It’s still decidedly sensual and exotic, yet not spicy. Now, it is much softer and gentler, moving from the intoxicating first kiss to a comfortable intimacy sitting in the shade of trees with large, dark green, shiny leaves. (Oh, and everyone is still naked, with sweat gleaming on their stomachs). I don’t smell any rose, wild or cultivated, nor have I throughout this. I almost forgot they were supposed to be there.

Still later: It’s settling into a creamy fruit blend. Like a really good sherbet with extra thick cream, yet somehow still very warm.

Overall: This is a perfect sultry summer day scent. I’m definitely keeping the imp, though I probably won’t get a bottle. I like more darkness and spice.

In the imp: Ok, I must be kooky, but, at first whiff this smelled almost exactly like "Bon Vivant".... Don't know why it would, but hey.... I'm kooky. Second whiff... Yup Apricots belly-dancing with Pommegranates, and, the pommegranates are being real sex kittens, (yay Pommegranates!). No Plum yet, but I think I detect a bit of musk. I like this, I really like this......

On me, swiped on wrist wet: Sweet mother of baby Jesus, there's "Bon Vivant" again! Something about this is going completely Champagne-y to my nose... This is a good thing, but odd for a blend with no champagne in it....

Drydown, two to three minuts: Yerevan is itself again... Apricots, the tartness of Pommegranates, the depth of musk, and THERE'S the Plums!!! This is sweet and rich with just enough tart crispness to add balance. This is sophisticated foody, like high priced fruit preserves made with imported fruts served on artisan bread off crystal plates in an exquisitely decorated parlor... :P :D Glad I put this on my ten ml wishlist unsniffed!

Yerevan is my scent du jour, and it's one of my odder BPAL experiences. The scent that I get in the air seems to bear no resemblance to the scent against my skin. The scent in the air is fruity and musky and gorgeous...but if I stick my nose in my wrists, I detect something sort of sharp and musty - the florals, maybe?

Whatever, it's lovely - I'll definitely use up my imp.

I generally like fruity scents, but this one was simply too syrupy sweet on my skin. I had a similar experience with the SN Apricot, so that may be the culprit. I ended up swapping it.

another lovely gift from the lab!!! thank you!

at first: whew! strong berry and plum! sharp!

within a few seconds: the berries mellow out and i get apricot. soft, sweet, and watery, but not what i think of as typically aquatic. makes my mouth water, and i am in love with this stage.

drying and wearing: this dries into a lovely scent! unfortunately, i cant pick out the individual scents, with the exception of fuzzy apricot. i just know i like it. a lot. i don't get overt floral, no roses, thank god - but it has a floral feel to it. . . like i should be sitting in a garden overlooking a bay on a warm day.

i like it more as it sits on my skin. . . just gets sweeter.

it fades too fast on me! two hours later, i'm bearly picking up a bit of apricot. .. i think the light scents are destined to dissapear on my dry skin. . .

i might get a big bottle, just so i can experience those first couple of hours....

Yerevan Very apricot-y and nice at first. It reminded me of March Hare so much that I considered getting a bottle of Yerevan instead. It develops into more of a floral, which is still beautiful, tart and fruity. For me, the simplicity of March Hare is preferred over Yerevan, but some may like Yerevan more for it's multilayered personality.

I have to preface this with: This is the oddest, most bizarre review I've ever done.

(Old) Yerevan:

Wet:.. popcorn? Smells like Popcorn-flavored Jelly Bellies.

Drydown: The plum and apricot start to come up, but I still smell popcorn.

Longterm wear: Several hours later, and I *still* smell like popcorn. ?!?

What is up with my body chemistry that makes this smell like popcorn?!

It is a lot like March Hare.

I love them both now.

This is creamy apricots over musky powdery florals. The very faint pomegranate is like the balmy meaty white inner skin of the fruit.

*contented sigh*

this is gorgeous wet it is strongly plum

as it dries it becomes a droolingly gorgeous rose, musk, and plum blend. it is perfectly balanced between the notes and is making me swoon :P

Sweet apricots.

A very fruity blend on me, apricot is the strongest, but there is a tartness too, must be the pomegranate. There is some spice too, it gives a bit of a kick to the blend.

I like this blend, but I love Fae :P , so it isn't going to be the fruity peach/apricot scent I reach for. :D

My first review! :P

In the imp: Again, hello holy apricot! It's like I got dropped head first in a bushel.

What I told the #bpal-ers: This scent scares me. I really don't think I can wear this.

For science and growing admiration of BPAL, I tested this one very lightly.

Wet: If I closed my eyes I'd be standing in an orchard. I'm a southern belle! I'm a southern belle!

Few seconds: Well that's not so bad, my skin slurped it up the over powering part like a hot summer day. Awfully light musky, little bit of fruity. Not annoying or cloying at all.

Drydown-long term: Yup, dried down real fast. Doesn't have that sticking power on me.

Cat's reaction: entirely neutral to "ehh, get your wrist out of my face"

Final verdict: Still out, although my first impression was "this would make a nifty lotion or spray". <- confirmed thought after second application, would make a nifty spray, especially in the middle of a 97 (90% humidity) day that is oh too icky common in the summer, proving first impressions are usually pretty right on. Too sweet for a burner. Move to "non essential" category and make note to read up on sprays.

The morning scent was as I suspected, gone well before noon, but the imp scent is too intimidating to want to slather.

Update, May 18: However, it makes a fantastic body powder, which is where I think most of any imps that come my way of this will go. Powdery in a good way fresh apricotty goodness.

Edited by pensive

Wet it's very fruity: apricot, plum and a touch of pomegranade over musk.

Quite eatable.

Dry it calms down a bit and the orchid, iris and sweet roots come out.

It's a fruity-floral with apricot, soft and sexy.

ETA: This is a frimp from the lab, so thank you very much! :P

Edited by quimerula

On Bottle: Apricot and rose.

On Skin: Pretty! I love apricot scents… even mixed with rose. This is so delicious! Fruity and floral with some sweet spicy musk thrown in to balance it out. Ripe pomegranate, juicy plum and the beautiful glamerous orchid and lily making it quite feminine. A gorgeous mix… I love it!

Yerevan

Starts off fizzy peach with a citrus/orange tinge. Its a bright fruity tone with something clearly deeper and richer behind it. It is getting incensy and creamier as it dries down. There's almost a touch of coconut behind it. In sum, creamy, incensy and peachy.

Initial Sniff: Sweet juicy apricot and plum.

Wearing: When wet, this is sticky, sweet, and syrupy. As it dries, however, the fruits become less sickly and become softer, and the florals peek out. The last stage is warm and sunny orchard.

Final Impressions: Very pretty!

Imp: cherries and wood

Wet: more cherries and wood, but still soft, kind of reminds me shampoo or conditioner, but without the foody aspect. I like.

Drydown: This reminds me of something...but then again, so do many BPAL oils! :P Seriously, though, it's on the tip of my brain. I love rose, but I can't smell much rose in this, while the plum, orchid, and iris are the top notes.

Overall: A pleasent scent that I would wear if I didn't have other oils that call out to me on a daily basis. I'd keep the imp, because I do like it, but y'know, I think I'll sell or swap for something else.

Oro